CANADIAN "I'm going to Van" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roland of Gilead said:

They are staying in a small town outside of Vancouver that gained a reputation back in the day as being THEE place to meet up with lovers and not getting caught. Hope, BC. The home of Rambo! Remember that movie? :wink:

:laugh:

:heart:

passthebuck said:
i think i'm at the delta. anybody near there? food? bars? fun? whats it like in that 'hood?

Which one? If it is the Delta at the airport you might want to think about coming a little closer into town. Anything in the downtown core would be fine. Just about everything down there is within walking distance and it's all pretty flat.

passthebuck said:
I'm at the Delta downtown.

Ya you should be fine there. Just don't walk back to the hotel on Hastings after the concert. That hotel is on hastings and any further east on that street you are 100% gonna run into a load of crackheads. The hotel is actually what I consider the border of Good Vancouver and Bad Vancouver lol. So ya, it should be fine, just know what street you are on.

This is why I booked my hotel next to the arena. Less chance of heading to bad Vancouver. :wink:

Anyone in Van city have an opinion about the Fairmont Waterfront, or how close it is to the venue? Coming from TO, and this is one that was recommended to me.

chyland said:
Anyone in Van city have an opinion about the Fairmont Waterfront, or how close it is to the venue? Coming from TO, and this is one that was recommended to me.

A very lovely hotel - at the higher end of the price range. You are probably looking at a 20-30 minute walk to GM Place (20 if you know exactly how to get there) If you are looking at that sort of price range - a closer hotel would be the Four Seasons.

thanx for tha tip. I'm stayin till sunday so what else should I do for the next three days other than drink beer? any bicycle shops near there? other fun stuff? clubs? wine? women? song? sorry for all the questions but I was in van last in 1990 & even then I was in abbotsford mostly....

so who has GA to the show on the 29th? I'll be getting there very early in the morning. I was considering camping out since I will be at the show the night before, but it would be too much of a hassle.

Yes! I won tickets on ebay for the second show and i didnt have to take out a bank loan to pay for them!! I'll see you all at both shows now!!!

my tix arrived today via the schnail mail :rockon: & I also booked my flight. it arrives at 2:45. Will that allow me time to get downtown, check in to tha hotel & show up @ GM place for the soundcheck maddness? Probally not huh... mabe? Well, I'm still there till sunday so to reitterate my prevoius post:

thanx for tha tip. I'm stayin till sunday so what else should I do for the next three days other than drink beer? any bicycle shops near there? other fun stuff? clubs? wine? women? song? sorry for all the questions but I was in van last in 1990 & even then I was in abbotsford mostly....

anybody wanna hook up for a beer or something? I dunno, I'm grasping for straws here... lol. pegers? people from the chuck? cowtown? westerners in general?...

if u buy tickets from any province, can u pick up tickets locally?? like buy from edmonton for vancouve concert??

Hey passthebuck, which show are you going to and are you GA or seated?

I'm there on the 28th, staying till sunday & I'm seated in sec 114 row 24. I'm a little f'd up cause my flights WERE booked but no jetsgo = finding another flight & more $. BUT it's still worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im going! april 28th...GA!! any advice for the ga lineup? like bring lots of food and water right? but since im a first time ga person...is it annoyin havin some sort of bag with u all the time holdin ur food and stuff while the concert thanks/

Hey passthebuck, I would hang with you but I will be in line most of Thursday and Friday. So I can't be counted on plus I have to meet a couple of people to give them my extra tickets. Sorry dude.

Anyone with GAs for the 28th can look for me in line on Thursday and hopefully Friday. My pic is in the Lemonade Stand, my sister and myself at her wedding. Come up and say hi. I'm friendly and I don't bite. Unless you want me to,:wink:

Last edited:
trevster2k said:
Hey passthebuck, I would hang with you but I will be in line most of Thursday and Friday. So I can't be counted on plus I have to meet a couple of people to give them my extra tickets. Sorry dude.

Anyone with GAs for the 28th can look for me in line on Thursday and hopefully Friday. My pic is in the Lemonade Stand, my sister and myself at her wedding. Come up and say hi. I'm friendly and I don't bite. Unless you want me to,:wink:

I just posted my pics there too, so anyone with GA's for the 28th make sure to come by and say hi... I'm going with one of my friends, but I'm not too sure if he'll be able to make it until the afternoon so I'll probably be there alone for the morning...

plus I'll have my giant cardboard box with food and stuff that I'm planning on sharing... someone did that for the Metallica concert and it was a GREAT idea..

I'm in to hang out trevster2k, & this goes out to whomever wants to have a beer at somepoint during the festivities of apr 28 to may 1. I'm there all weekend & I dont intend to do a lot of sleepin so we should plan on a beer or a meal or causing some sort of trouble.... i cant find your pic @ the lemonaid stand trevster2k.... sorry i havnt posted in a while.

Hey! If anyone wants to get together we can arrange a meeting at a great bar in Vancouver.

It is called "teh SPEAKEASY" and it is on Granville. WE can do this THursday.

Friday I will be in lone all day. If anyone wants to join me and my friend in line we should be there in the morning. We want to be guaranteed to get into the pit area.

I hear the stage has a path cut into it, so fans can actually be inside the stage!

Dave

i've got tiks for thursday - section 117, row 25, seats 4+5.

i plan on winning tickets next week from one of the local radio stations (yeah right but you never know) and if i do they'll be GA and if i have to i'll trade them for Friday's show.

Just wondering how early one should line up for good GA standing room, and would people in line get ticked off if i send my brother to stand in line, and then join him at like 2 in the afternoon instead of being there all day as well?

thinking of taking some poster board and a jumbo felt pen too to make a sign - not sure what to put on it, but it might be a cool thing to do.

the speakeasy is on granville beside TOM LEE MUSIC. The downtown core of Vancouver is very very small so you're never too far from hotels that are downtown.

The longest it took me to walk from GM place to granville was about 15 minutes.

Public transit is 2.25 for a one zone ticket. you get a printed ticket that will last on any transit service in the zone for 90 minutes before it expires. it is easiest to get a book of ten for 18 bucks if you are with a few friends.

If you want to take the skytrain it takes about 2 minutes to get from granville station to Stadium. From stadium it will be about a 30 second walk to the gates to GM place. Cross at the lights though because cars travel fairly fast in this area and it is hard to see pedestrians coming out of the skytrain station. if you have general admission i think you have to go to gate 7. just follow the road counterclockwise to nearly the opposite side of the stadium to skytrain exit. skytrain staion exit is at 6 oclock o the arena, and gate 7 is at around 12 o clock.

The speakeasy is a great bar (personally I think the shark club is very overrated and pretty lame). the shark club is conveniently close to GM place though.

The speakeasy is a pub that plays great music, has great service, and great beer and amazing atmosphere.

If you are into smoking pot, there are a few amsterdam style pot cafes that i can direct you to. one is well known, the others are somewhat underground.

I you want great vegetarian food i recommend the NAAM. it is at 4th and mcdonald in kitsilano (an area of town).

take the # 4 UBC bus, or the & dunbar to mcdonald and look for the green awning. the food is legendary.

If you want great food, including vegetarian, I woudl also consider DV8 (deviate). It is downtown and it has a very artsy culture. I go there quite often and it is quite enjoyable.

If anyone needs a tour guide, or wants to get together let me know and I can forward you my email address and we can go from there.

Hank

hank--thanks for that info.
i'd love to hear some more suggestions for places to go in the city.
i am flying into seattle for the april 25 seattle show and have a GA for Vancouver April 28.
how far is the drive from seattle to vancouver?
i've never been to the northwest before and i'm really looking forward to it :)

Back
Top Bottom