The Fly from San Diego 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also though, anyone notice that the lyrics to both this and Zoo Station are almost totally different? But not in a "Bono-forgot-the-words" way. He doesn't seem to be stumbling for words, just singing different ones.

bono screwed up the first 2 lines, and it seemed like he was lacking a bit of emotion at the start.. i think only elevation & the fly were the songs that they really fucked up.. but yeah the guitar was AMAZING in the fly

The guitar in this Fly is simply OUTSTANDING. :rockon:

Edge owns this song ... just like the rest of the show!

The Fly is awesome.

During ZooTV, The Fly was awesome because it was a crazy rock song right at the start and crazy words went crazy in the background.

Then it hid until Elevation...where it flew up to us and said "hey, look at me, I'm moody and mellow! JUST KIDDING" and exploded like ZooTV.

Then it flew to the Vertigo Tour...and exploded like an Atomic Bomb right from the start.

Always awesome.

Yeah guitar. :edge:

14854U2SD12005-2191.jpg

This is the thing I'm talking about, in case you haven't seen it. It says "ultimate" on it. I am going to google that...

I have to say though, and I just posted this in a thread about the bootleg, but why do Bono and Edge ease off so much on the first two choruses? The beginning of the song and the verses are so hardcore, but Bono's just speaking the chorus and Edge just disappears into the background...I don't understand this choice.

The apocalyptic ending is phenomenal and is probably worth the price of admission alone, but it's so close to perfect. Anyone?

laz

lazarus said:
I have to say though, and I just posted this in a thread about the bootleg, but why do Bono and Edge ease off so much on the first two choruses? The beginning of the song and the verses are so hardcore, but Bono's just speaking the chorus and Edge just disappears into the background...I don't understand this choice.

The apocalyptic ending is phenomenal and is probably worth the price of admission alone, but it's so close to perfect. Anyone?

laz

The guitar sounds great, but the vocals are very relaxed and in a lower key than before... Its too bad, the song can be so intense. Hopefully as the tour progresses they'll take it up a notch!

sure it sounded great.. but it has nothing against the Fly from Elevation, where Bono actually would interact with the crowd and run around. This time he just performed it in front of that light curtain. :madspit:

bono actually was playing the main riff on The Fly, i was there and saw it, i was surprised that Edge didn't play the main riff.

the guitar is amazing in the FLY, I thought this song was amazing. But I agree with Bono's delivery, very slow paced. I didnt really like it, but maybe they just have to perfect the "new" version.

Anyway, when they do it'll be even better.

I agree that Edge was a freakin' beast on the track this time around - but to me, the Elevation Tour version of The Fly is still tops. I just thought they really nailed that version. This one was more of a pale (though harder-sounding) version of a perfect rendition....

Um, just FYI -- The post with the picture of larry's keyboard thingamajig was accidentally posted in the wrong thread. I tried to delete it but it didn't work. :-/

lazarus said:

laz

What thread about WHAT bootleg??? I wanna hear!

Bono is struggling to remember lyrics on both songs, he even jumped in too early on Zoo Station. "I'm ready....nearly" X 2, then "okay" hahaha, classic.

The music in this version of the Fly blows the Elevation version off the face of the earth, that is some sick ass guitar.

I have to say the Fly's intro from Elevation wouldn't work here. It's three hard-hitting rock songs in a row, the break would kill it.

"it's no secret that a liar, my vision really sucks"

hahaha, does anyone else hear that? maybe it's just me hahaha Bono riffing.

He says at the first "he's back and he's blind" or something liek that.

I think Bono has to perfect his delivery and straighten the lyrics out, but did you hear Edge's new guitar work?? It's awesome.

When they nail it down right, it's going to be classic.

I think the music(actually, Edge's guitar work - but that is 95% of the song) is better than the Elevation version, but Bono's delivery was a joke. I hope it will be perfected on his side later in the tour.

Actually, although I was a blind follower of the Elevation version of The Fly, I prefer this version. What bothered me was the performance. Bono couldn't seem to remember if it was him or Edge that was supposed to sing, and even though I love it when he rewrites the lyrics fro songs like UTEOTW, One and the like, The Fly is like a sacred piece of music, and the lyrics shouldn't be changed!

But I'll give them two weeks, and then it should be as rocking as ever.

i have to admit i thought the songs that made a return from the last tour would sound the same but they totally reworked everything

bullet was pleasently surprising, it was a bit of zoo tv, a bit of popmart, and a bit of new (hands)

the only song that probably sounded identical was one because its timeless in that form, and new year's day (which they haven't really changed the form of for a while)

even streets was a bit different, bono tried to put in some african singing in there

Edge was playing some funky and pure guitar work, the guys a legend but Bono was out of it so I prefer the Elevation rendition to be honest remember when U2 hit their stride The Fly will truely be insane, one show in another tonight we will hear and see:wink:

Second verse lyrics - can anyone hear them better than me?

?????
shining on a soul?
gotta myself a four to four
to take me home
travelling in a ??????
in the eye of a hurricane
i dont feel no pain
no no ????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom