Take this mouth....(Apology to the ponytailed girl 10/24 show)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellBeThere

War Child
So, I had to find a forum to apologize since I didn't get a chance on the floor last night....

This was my first time GA, and I was rather shocked actually at the amount of pushing thru the crowd that happens. I sorta thought that once there was the inital jockeying for position there would just be maybe lunges forward when Bono came near, and purposely set myself up a good dozen or more rows of people back from the catwalk and the central crowd on the floor, all the way over on the side railing. It was elevated like the soundboard--woohoo!--a rail to hold onto with fresh air on one side and an inch or two more height for me! I didn't guess that people would try to constantly jockey forward, pretending like they were looking for someone up front or returning from a beer run, and quickly my heightchallenged self was getting blocked from any view at all...
The last straw for my newyorker head happened when two young women (maybe even younger?) jockeyed in front of me, one straddling the little platformy thing with one foot and positioning her ponytail right under my albeit prominent nose. I kept hoping she'd move, but she didn't, and then she started tickling my nose with her hair, and so I finally exploded with something like "you know, it's really kinda bugging me that you got yourself right in front of me and now all I can see is your ponytail". She turned around and gave me a shocked and disgusted look and said there wasn't any room to be elsewhere, and I said sure there is, there's room right there off the platform a step. Her friend was quite heightchallenged (*she* should have been given the platform-y spot!) and I felt both justified and bad about my words...
I felt better getting it off my chest, but sorry for being harsh...it would have been better to say "excuse me, how can we work this so we all can see, because right now your hair is majorly in my face".
So, if you're out there...sorry!

She got her revenge though...a couple minutes later one of those meninblack handing out bombshelter bands came along the rail and gave one to her and her friend! All he gave me was a weird look as I tried pleading with my eyes for one...too old? too tall with my platform shoes? bad karma?

I *don't* feel bad, however, though maybe I should, for shouting 'shut up' and 'fuck you' to the guys in the VIP seats off the floor who were yelling at Bono "hey we don't want to hear it! get on with it! " during his prelude to One?!!?
Okay, I felt a little bad about that, since Bono was talking about the left and the right working together and all, and it seemed a little bit contrary to the spirit of cooperation and tolerance to tell them to fuck off, but there was no excuse for that! they were really loud too, the buggers...

whew...I feel better now! and it was a really fantastic show! cheers all!

Last edited:
:wink: Always good to get 'it' off your chest!! In ur defense, those gals knew better-they wouldn't have liked it! I too, and am heightchalleged, and the reason I won't get GA ever again! No fun looking at the back of someone's head, instead of the band! I am glad you enjoyed the concert, tho!! :wink:

im height challenged too.. but i had more fun on the floor than the seats.. i mean sure you get the whole picture from the seats.. but its just that the crowd is freaking awesome on the floor.

I'm looking for a similar person who stood in front of me on the floor on oct 20 dc show. And now.. im in love with her... she was perfect.......

ANyways if next tour i get there early enough, i can get the rail and then thats a goood goood view from there.

well, now that I've done the floor, nosebleeds, and pretty damned decent seats ( maybe could only afford it for a tuesday show in a 'soft' market like detroit), I'm feeling like the decent seats has been the "nicest" (but see the thread I'm about to start on my trials for 10/25! I must look like an easy mark somehow, or else I'm really very aggressive and intolerant). I'm guessing the crowd on the floor varies, maybe by night, venue, and most importantly perhaps by location on the floor itself.

I've read here some folks saying that if you can't get a really good spot on the floor, like on the rail or in the ellipse, then it's sorta sucky, and then I thought I'd also read some folks say it's not too bad. And then of course there are those who like the soundboard area...I was tempted to just head back there,but it seemed so faar away from the action!
I'd guess the truly serious U2 fans, and the lovely interferencer types, are at the front and more considerate in general, wanting everyone to have a good experience.

In my section of the floor 10/24 about 10 rows back on the side there were people who were very happy to be there and cool, people who were totally wasted and barely into it, people totally wasted and into it but a little scary (you're not gonna puke on my shoes are you? or spill your drink?!), and people who were pushing through to get closer for cellphone photo transmission and makeout sessions just a tad closer to "the Edge"!
Very variable. I tried to block all that out, and it really was a fantastic experience even though I often had to wave my head back and forth and hop on my platform shoes to get a view. At least the guy who jockeyed in front of me to make out with his woman was also heightchallenged so that when Bono and Edge were on the tip of the ellipse doing "Stuck" I could see over his head a bit to the show so close!

I think in the future though it would be worth getting there early enough to get a better spot, or else just hang back and bring binoculars or something.
still, the floor experience makes it feel like you're in a tight little club, so that's kinda fun even if you can't see anything. If they didn't pack it so tight populationwise, it would be just fab, or if they had it divided by height like lining up for elementary school pictures?!

cheers all!

Last edited:
I was at the 10/24 show just outside the ellipse. It's always a different experience when you're standing in the front.

The 2001 show was one of the meanest audiences ever. Lots of shoving and the only time I've seen a real fist fight in the crowd.

This year people around me were talking about how they plan to shove their way forward as soon as the show starts. I thought "oh great here we go again". But it turns out no one did anything violent, even when the band were walking around the ellipse. I was surprised how nice everyone was. Maybe it was different for people just 20 feet away and I lucked out.

By the way, did anyone meet the band as they left afterwards? I waited by the loading dock but no one else was there.

ShellBeThere said:
well, now that I've done the floor, nosebleeds, and pretty damned decent seats ( maybe could only afford it for a tuesday show in a 'soft' market like detroit), I'm feeling like the decent seats has been the "nicest" (but see the thread I'm about to start on my trials for 10/25! I must look like an easy mark somehow, or else I'm really very aggressive and intolerant). I'm guessing the crowd on the floor varies, maybe by night, venue, and most importantly perhaps by location on the floor itself.

I've read here some folks saying that if you can't get a really good spot on the floor, like on the rail or in the ellipse, then it's sorta sucky, and then I thought I'd also read some folks say it's not too bad. And then of course there are those who like the soundboard area...I was tempted to just head back there,but it seemed so faar away from the action!
I'd guess the truly serious U2 fans, and the lovely interferencer types, are at the front and more considerate in general, wanting everyone to have a good experience.
?
In my section of the floor 10/24 about 10 rows back on the side there were people who were very happy to be there and cool, people who were totally wasted and barely into it, people totally wasted and into it but a little scary (you're not gonna puke on my shoes are you? or spill your drink?!), and people who were pushing through to get closer for cellphone photo transmission and makeout sessions just a tad closer to "the Edge"!
Very variable. I tried to block all that out, and it really was a fantastic experience even though I often had to wave my head back and forth and hop on my platform shoes to get a view. At least the guy who jockeyed in front of me to make out with his woman was also heightchallenged so that when Bono and Edge were on the tip of the ellipse doing "Stuck" I could see over his head a bit to the show so close!

I think in the future though it would be worth getting there early enough to get a better spot, or else just hang back and bring binoculars or something.
still, the floor experience makes it feel like you're in a tight little club, so that's kinda fun even if you can't see anything. If they didn't pack it so tight populationwise, it would be just fab, or if they had it divided by height like lining up for elementary school pictures?!

cheers all!
Hi there, I am heading to Staples on Nov 2nd for my first GA experience at a U2 show. I am only 4' 11" and I think that is a great height challenge for me. I am also going to wear platform shoes as well. I don't know how I am going to make it through. I just wanted to experience Ga for once and now I am terrified that people wont be nice to me. I know I am projecting. I will be the little one with curly brown long hair and wearing a real pretty black tank top with cool seguines on it. Like anyone is going to remember that. LOL! I will probably be the shortest woman there. I pray I have a great experience. I know God will be watching me. I also pray to be picked that night to be hugged by Bono and so are a thousand of other women who will be praying for the same thing. Any suggestions

Last edited:
my only bit of advice, mysticchild, is that if you decide to try and cut through crowds to a better vantage point on the floor to be nice...
I think if the girls who cut to in front of me were smiley and tried to acknowledge that hey, we're really short (one was) and trying to get some chance of seeing something, then I wouldn't have been so obnxious in response to them...also try not to actually come in contact with someone you've just cut in front of! the stepping right in front of me and then seriously almost making me sneeze with the hair in my face while avoiding all eye contact and trying to pretend there was some valid reason for the move (e.g., the ubiquitous pretending you're looking for someone in that crowd, lol!) made me pissy, sorry to say!

I think it was Miroslava who said on another thread that she doesn't like to look behind her once set up, so that she doesn't feel bad if there are people behind her who are smaller and struggling somehow...which is reasonable policy, imho. But if you've just shouldered your way in front of someone, I think it's polite to turn about and ask if they're okay, no?

good luck and it'll be great no matter what! cheers...

:lol:

Well, I did say that once I have my spot I try to make it a point to not looking behind me too much. It wasnt so much about letting people that are struggling deal with it themselves. I would of course intervene if someone was being an ass and I have. In Chicago 9/20 or 9/21 some woman stepped directly in front of the girl that was second off the rail to my right and I definitely got involved in telling the woman just how off base she was.

The reason why I don't look behind too much is that people tend to give me the sad puppy eyes with a PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASE wont you let me get in front of you pout... and if I did that, I would end up quite a few people back...

So again, just to clarify I will get involved if someone is being an ass, or if someone feels sick, etc. etc. and I have in the past. Just dont expect to give up my spot to anyone that arrived to the line WAY after me just cause they're shorter :lol:

Last edited:
Miroslava said:
The reason why I don't look behind too much is that people tend to give me the sad puppy eyes with a PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASE wont you let me get in front of you and if I did that, I would end up quite a few people back...

So again, just to clarify I will get involved if someone is being an ass, or if someone feels sick, etc. etc. and I have in the past. Just dont expect to give up my spot to anyone that arrived to the line WAY after me just cause they're shorter :lol:

yeah, u2 shows are one of the few places where i don't let myself feel bad about being tall and being in front...sorry to the shorter folks.

And if the beautiful giant doesn't feel bad, I certainly don't and she's a good 2-3 inches taller than I :happy:

Of course, it is all done in the spirit of respect and I would never purposely block anyone's view and will get out of the way for a reasonable amount of pictures, etc. etc. It is implicit that I'd never purposely contribute to ANYONE's bad concert experience :tsk: It's all about the karma...

Last edited:
oh, yeah...but on the other hand, i can't help being tall anymore than you can help being short. i know it sucks, but it sucks to be tall too (try buying clothes!)...and in most situations i am careful to stand in the back so as to not bother anyone, but i can't let myself stress at a u2 show...

plus, most of the time i've been there like 10 hours longer than the people behind me...

Stories for Boys said:
oh, yeah...but on the other hand, i can't help being tall anymore than you can help being short. i know it sucks, but it sucks to be tall too (try buying clothes!)...and in most situations i am careful to stand in the back so as to not bother anyone, but i can't let myself stress at a u2 show...

plus, most of the time i've been there like 10 hours longer than the people behind me...

Amen lurch! Amen!

I mean, Laura!

:sexywink: :kiss:

Not our fault our mommies gave us genetically altered milk :sad:

And buying clothes sucks. I am not tall enough for tall girl clothes (thank god cause they're expensive! :yikes: ) But I am too tall for normal clothes most of the time (even the "tall" lenghts) So I often time end up looking like a :nerd: due to the lenght of my pants and sleeves

Last edited:
All these stories are the reason I'm too nervous to do GA because I'm petite :| Then as soon as I am at the show I'm annoyed I didn't because I feel my energy and excitement about being there belongs on the floor, in the elipse of course :happy:

Miroslava said:

Not our fault our mommies gave us genetically altered milk :sad:

:laugh: I'm 6' 2" so typically I dont have a problem seeing. What is funny is that when I did GA on Elevation it would seem like the ONE person taller than me would stand right in front of me!! :laugh:

Im with the tall people. 5'10 here. I usually don't move on GA either. Although my friend I was with, who is 6'2, kept getting puppy eyes from the little girls around him, and he's a flirt, so he let them in front. We ended up about 4 people apart because he kept letting people in front of him, to get hugs :huh:

Dude - fuck that chick. Who is she to you? She's just some interloper who probably pushes her way into everything, and gets away with it because people don't want a confrontation. There's always one or two of them at any given concert. And I would imagine they haven't thought a single thought about it since then. So, see my first sentence.

Back
Top Bottom