Sick....but sooooo satisfied!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I'm starting to come off my post-concert high and I'm still so excited I decided to post about this past week....

It all started early last week when I got this PM from Kevin/bfloxng asking why I was going to Detroit and Cleveland, but not Pittsburgh. I really had never even thought about it b/c I don't really know where Pittsburgh is. Then I kept reading all these posts by Miroslava and April in the Fan Gatherings and I started to kinda wonder why I wasn't going. To make it worse, Miroslava pretty much told me all I needed to do was get a ticket and get to her house by 6pm on Friday b/c she was already going to drive in and already had hotel arrangements. Well, you all know how hard GAs are to come by....we were begging (yeah, it got a little out of control at some points) and by late Thursday night, ironically we'd rounded up not one but THREE Pittsburgh GAs at face value! It all worked out though b/c Laura and Erin wanted GA instead of seats so I was able to hook them up.

So I get a call from Kevin around midnight on Thursday promising I'm all set. Friday I get up, run errands, pack, and leave for Miroslava's house at 3:30. It should've been a 2 hr drive, max, but less than 10 miles from her house, two semitrucks crashed and I moved FOUR MILES in 1.5 hrs! Then I got lost finding Miroslava's house b/c by that time it was getting dark and my eyes are worthless at dusk unless I know exactly where I'm going. So, I wanted to cry, I was late, but Miroslava and April were ready to go and off we went. We got to Pittsburgh and found not a single person in line. Miroslava talked Jim, the security man on duty, into letting us camp out, letting use his bathroom, letting us use his outlet, and giving us a tip on where to order a pizza. Brad/Super_Fan was there too and other Interferencers showed up during the night as well.

You can read how the line went in the Tour Dates thread, but by the time we got in (VERY late, after 6:30), it was getting dark, freezing, and wet. Brad was # 1 so Miro, April, and I were 2, 3, and 4. Miroslava called us the Gloria Girls (you know, when Bono goes "TWO THREE FOUR"). So finally Allison comes out and lets us in. As we start going through the security check, we get to those gates where there's like a metal rod and you just walk into it and it turns down and lets you in, except the one in my line (there were three) was stuck. My heart dropped and I wanted to panic, but it turned out to be really funny b/c the guy checking us through saw Brad walk into it and started going off, "oh motherfucker!!!" Thankfully, Allison stopped the other lines until he found the key to unlock it and we got through. Then I could hear Miro shrieking and I knew we were golden. I turned back to see where April was and she just looks at me and goes, "I scanned in!" We were too excited to even think of bringing more people in since two of us three scanned in. So for a concert I never planned on going to, I ended up front row, right in front of Bono in the ellipse!!! The show rocked and Bono did say "TWO THREE FOUR!" during Electric Co. He also was teasing Miroslava during beautiful day and said "teach me teach me teach me" to her. Adam read her Silver Fox sign and had the hugest grin. Bono also read Miro's other signs and said "This one's for Miroslava." At one point during the show he was talking abot how Paul O'Neill was there and the only thing they had in common besides Africa was the name Paul, to which I shrieked and giggled like the hopeless Bono girl I am and Bono turns, looks right at me and says, "what you didn't know that?" and smiles :D No WOWY dance, but hey, he acknowledged my presence!! I was definitely more emotional during that show than others, especially during Miracle Drug b/c one of my best friends died of cancer a few years ago and she was only 20 so that was kind of a bittersweet moment. The whole show was such an experience b/c I'd never been in the front for a U2 show before. Afterwards, we wandered around looking for food, but didn't find anything so went back to the room and shared pics and giggled for a while.

Pittsburgh pics: http://www.dutchbingo.net/U2/albums/U2October22/index.html

Sunday we came back to Michigan, I drove home to Grand Rapids and went straight to my parents house to do laundry and air out the camping equipment for Detroit. My throat was so sore and my head hurt so much, for a while I didn't even want to go to Detroit.

Monday I left for Detroit with Laura and Erin. We got there around 5:30 and wandered for a bit, basically learning how much the Palace sucks and bitching about the weather. Before we even joined the end of the GA line, three seperate security guards came up to me and harassed me b/c I was wearing a camera bag, so I freaked and ditched the camera (BIG mistake). Erin and I took our time getting in. We had GAs but couldn't be there until that time anyway. We got a place against the railing at the back of the floor and stayed there during Institute. Erin was saying that sometimes you can find people with wristbands. We saw one guy looking around for kids and I wanted to ask, but some other guy beat me to it and was denied. Erin has the knack for spotting who has the wristbands and at when it comes to U2 I'm shameless, so I promised I'd ask if she pointed them out. Just a few minutes later, a girl walks by and Erin's like "go!" so without hesitation I walked over and said "excuse me, do you have ellipse wristbands?" She paused and said "yeah, but not many. How many do you need?" I said, "oh, just two" and pointed out Erin. So we got wristbands and made our way to the ellipse. We kinda drifted around the back and ended up on the back rail, Edge's side. There was plenty of room to move around, but the people on either side of us were total duds. They just kinda stood there and watched or cuddled each other. Meanwhile, Erin and I are singing along, bopping heads and jumping around. It's a rock show, not a fireworks display! The ladies in front of us spent the entirety of Miss Sarajevo with their backs to the stage, taking group photos. :rolleyes: Oh well, the show rocked and we were sooooo excite to hear Walk On b/c Laura really wanted that since she was with her family and they all love that song.

After the show, we all found each other and since it was raining again and the news about the GA policy was grim, we decided to get a room and sleep in actual beds and worry about Tuesday's line in the morning.

Tuesday we got up early, showered, and headed over to The Post Bar for numbers and instructions. We ended up sitting in cars in their parking lot until they opened at 11. We all went in for lunch and gave them some business since they were so accomodating with letting us use the parking lot and bathrooms. During lunch, we planned a series of stealth attacks on the Palace property to try to get some of our people in line before people could cut. My group, team The Edge went first and opted to cross onto the property through a line of trees. It ended up not going well at all. We gave up on the sneak attack since there were so many security people on duty and tried to see how far we could walk in plain view before being turned around. We didn't even get halfway across the parking lot. Laura was next to try and she decided to reason with the security man at the main entrance. He insisted on no line until 2pm and we made him promise to turn cars around b/c on Monday, they said 2pm but people were getting in line at 1:45. By 1:45 we had a group of about 50 people loitering at the main entrance. A few others went around the back way and even others decided to come in cars and stall the rest of the cars from getting in. At 2pm they still were turning people around saying they didn't have the official go ahead, but Romi got a call from the girls who went around back and they said they were already in line. Security let us go at that point and the designated sprinters took off. By the time we all got to the line, only two people had cut and the rest of us honored the numbers so it wasn't that bad. The one good thing about that line was one they let us on, they had two security people at the front all day, so us fans didn't have to keep telling people the procedures and where to go, etc. They also split the fan line off right away. Unfortunately for Renee, who really wanted to meet the band and thank them, Bono showed up while we were darting like deer across a six lane highway to use the bathroom. I heard he didn't stay long and just said hi and shook hands, but still kinda a bummer.

At 6pm, we started going in. I was about the 15th person in my line. Renee was with me and Laura and Erin decided to try the fan line. My ticket scanned and I noticed the computer looked different, but honest to God I've never scanned in or seen anyone else scan in before, so I didn't think I got it. But then the computer guy says calmly, "ok, who do you want with you?" and Renee looks at me like "you got in!" We yell to Laura and Erin to come back and we all give the ticket guy sad "please" eyes until he agrees to let the four of us in on one Vertigo scan. We got our wristbands and began the obstical course. The GA line at the Palace goes something like this: in the door, past the table, around the corner, along the hall, up a huge flight of steep stairs, to the right, through the door, down a flight of stairs that alternate in size, down a flight of stairs even in size, down another flight of stairs that alter in size, and down the final flight of even stairs to the floor, and along the rail into the Adam side of the ellipse. I can't believe no one seriously fell trying to get in! We ended up on the front rail, right between Bono and Edge. Erin and Laura hung their "Thank YOU for a great life" sign and Renee hung our matching signs, hers says "Fan Since 1984" and mine says "Born in 1984...Still A SUPERFAN!" Larry's tech read our signs and gave us some smiles.

The show itself was amazing. We got some rarities like Gloria (during which Miroslava, April, and I all looked at each other and shrieked), Wild Horses, MLK, Crumbs, and Bad as the closer. I was glad Bono didn't do anything stupid like cover Eminem or dedicate Fast Cars to the Motor City. I got my camera in this time and filmed Miss Sarajevo. I was filming Crumbs until the Palace crowd control guy in front of me realized what I was doing and made me stop. The video is hilarious b/c you can see him wagging his finger at my lens. Oh well, I tried! Anyway, there's not much to say about that show except....wow. It was so much fun to be there, especially with Laura and Erin, who between like 25 GA tickets had never got to be in the front, and Renee, who's been a fan since 1984 and this was her first GA experience.

Detroit II pictures:
http://www.dutchbingo.net/U2/albums/U2October25/index.html

Well now....it's starting to sink in. I still have a terribly sore throat, my fever is worse, and now I have a head cold. Plus, I'm so sore and exhausted from screaming, singing, bouncing, and going nuts in general. I seriously appreciate the "rockstar" aspect of Bono. I can't imagine going nuts like that almost every night for months and months! In my years of training and competing in gymnastics, I've never felt as nervous, anxious, stressed, excited, or exhausted and I have in the past week!

In closing I want to thank Miroslava and April for befriending me on a day's notice and helping me out with the Pittsburgh experience, and Kevin/bfloxng, Patrick/bigg2, and Julie/Scarletwine for hooking us up with tickets, and Laura, Renee, and Erin for being such great friends to share the experience with! :hug: all

Last edited:
Aw Lies! Pittsburgh was just the start of an amazing 5 days filled with U2-ey goodness and I am glad that you were there to help kickstart and close the festivities. And seriously, what are the odds we'd actually get Gloria? :lol:

Thank you for writing this up. I'm a lazy writer, so it is great to have this stuff written down for posterity!

Feel better! :kiss:

you take fantastic photos! :up: and congrats on scanning in to the ellipse TWICE!!! you're very lucky!!

any chance that you might post the video of 'miss sarajevo'? i'd love to see it, but no worries if you can't do it. :)

I will upload my Miss Sarajevo vids from Pittsburgh and Detroit II tomorrow. I just did the short clip of Crumbs I managed to sneak before getting caught:

http://s46.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=18BA1TAV2D7V51DLI916G4NEU6

Miroslava, I'm a lazy writer as well (as evident by my nonexistent journal), but my throat hurts so bad, I couldn't bear the though of explaining this all to my mom. I figured if I wrote it out for her, I might as well post it here :shrug:

Oh, and I forgot to thank Nathan, Pitts # 198 for setting up my camera so I take better pictures now! If you're out there, THANK YOU!!!! :bow:

Hope you feel better LLABM. Very interesting story, lots of details. Glad to hear you scanned in twice - lucky girl!
Hope to get that lucky in L.A. (or possibly the hope for auto-ellipseness with child)

:hug:

Miroslava said:
Aw Lies! Pittsburgh was just the start of an amazing 5 days filled with U2-ey goodness and I am glad that you were there to help kickstart and close the festivities. And seriously, what are the odds we'd actually get Gloria? :lol:

Thank you for writing this up. I'm a lazy writer, so it is great to have this stuff written down for posterity!

Feel better! :kiss:

Usually I try to get my stories out before too much time passes, but with so much going on I got lazy (you guys should see my place! :reject: ). Great story, Lies! :D

Get well soon, #4! :hug:

Hey Lies, any chance I can get some high rez versions of your 25th pics? I've got some good 24th ones if you want any.

That was so awesome to read! Especially since I was in Pittsburg and Detroit and could visualize everything you're talking about. All I wanted out of this trip was on spot on the rail on the outside of the ellipse in Detroit. I was where I wanted to be. I'm glad you were able to get into the ellipse so many times, especially with Erin and Laura! I know how badly they wanted in. It was an awesome weekend. I wish we could have spent more time talking to you. Maybe in Cleveland!!!!!

The Crumbs vid LivLuv :bow: thanks you, im in love with it :drool:

if only that guy hadnt have stopped you :angry:

glad everyone had a great time, wish i could have gone, seems like loads of interferencers were there
:wink:

only 37 days till boston though :drool: :hyper:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I will upload my Miss Sarajevo vids from Pittsburgh and Detroit II tomorrow. I just did the short clip of Crumbs I managed to sneak before getting caught:

http://s46.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=18BA1TAV2D7V51DLI916G4NEU6

Miroslava, I'm a lazy writer as well (as evident by my nonexistent journal), but my throat hurts so bad, I couldn't bear the though of explaining this all to my mom. I figured if I wrote it out for her, I might as well post it here :shrug:

Great video, thanks!! :) I think I got about 1:30 of the song before I ran out of memory. :mad: I'll transfer it to my computer later, and if it's any good, I'll YSI mine, too.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Thanks for the great story LiveLuvandBootlegMusic!

I hope you feel better soon!
I love the comment Bono made in response to your reaction about the Paul ONeill thing, that was great!

And in Detroit,
I woohooed so loud for Gloria, lol, and for Crumbs! Well, shrieked really is a better description for the sound I made....and the smile I had on my face for MLK must have been just goofy. And I cried for SYCMIOYO, which I hadn't done before at a show anyway.

Your description of the GA entry procedure was very evocative! I couldn't believe how weird that was. I had to make a pitstop at the bathroom to add to that voyage, but I figured it made little difference since I was already getting in so late.

And then did anyone catch how if you tried to leave via the far-from-the-stage exits (like section 126 I believe) there was no way out?! I tried that after monday's show, and there was this crowd of people trying to get out, making a bodyheat issue, and then having to slowly realize there was no way out in that direction and needing to turn around. Boarded up, maybe part of that construction outside that made the GA line extra fun?! I got there late and then wasted more time getting told how I needed to enter by going around that construction, which was wrong, all to the incessant and annoying soundtrack of the sunny voice telling us "if you have GA tickets you must enter via the West doors". You mean, the ones behind this maze of construction with no apparent entranceway?
So there was the baffling and balance-challenging GA entry process, and a serious fire hazard...good thing security was spending their energy protecting the venue from campers!

cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for the video Lies..... I'd love to find someone with more - especially near the end when Bono saw the sign (again).

Oh yeah, the review was good too. :wink:

great to read your stories and congrats on your scanning into the ellipse! i got up there and the laptop froze as people in the other line were streaming by--just a bit stressful. But then it unstuck and Vertigo came up :hyper: Glad we got to see such an amazing show :heart:

oh, and i've got some lovely congestion/sore throat/sneezing as a souvenier of rain and cold in NYC and Pittsburgh. lovely memories...

Great pics, again! Your camera is absolutely awesome. Having great pics of your own=amazing memories! Congratulations on getting into the ellipse again twice! Makes me wish I that I could have dragged my husband for another GA incredible experience, but we decided to keep living and loving our one and only front row memories! Boy, I wish they toured every 2 years instead of every 4!:sad: I don't know how I'll make it for another 4 years after this ride! Congrats!!!! :wave: Hope you're feeling better!

ruffian said:

oh, and i've got some lovely congestion/sore throat/sneezing as a souvenier of rain and cold in NYC and Pittsburgh. lovely memories...

Am I the only one not sick yet? :huh:

u2forlife said:
Are you girls sick too? I've been coughing since MSG. Getting ready for Vegas I suppose?

the cycle goes something like this: healthy-->u2 shows-->sick for a week and a half-->healthy 2 days-->u2 shows-->sick

repeat. it's lovely. but sooooo worth it :drool:

Stories for Boys said:

the cycle goes something like this: healthy-->u2 shows-->sick for a week and a half-->healthy 2 days-->u2 shows-->sick

repeat. it's lovely. but sooooo worth it :drool:

you forgot to include...-->healthy 2 days, add more shows-->

*CLEVELAND*

you know you want to! :mad:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom