New GA Information regarding ellipse from Philly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fielder31

The Fly
I went to Philly last night and was able to get 2 GA's with no problem for face value and then had trouble selling my 2 lower levels for face value. I thought these tickets were so impossible, not last night. I stayed in the parking lot until around 8 with friends and 3 of us went into the arena with GA's and they would not scan our tickets. They said the ellipse was full and they were shutting down the labtops. This is B-Shit, they have a statement that this system allows everyone a fair chance, not the case for me and 2 others. They know how many GA's are sold, ever ticket should be scanned. Also, the back of the floor was clearing out after Mysterious Ways. This was my 3rd show of the tour and the band needs to improve on their standard 1 night set, it is so predictable and the flow of the concert can be so much better. They have the arena going crazy and then the air is let out by playing Yaweah then 40. I will never complain about the which songs are played, that is a no win situation, but make the setlist flow to keep up with the fans. I tailgated with around 20 people and after the concert everyone said the same thing, the concert really slowed down and almost became very boring. I love U2 and have seen them numerous times and they are so great live but this tour lacks the consistent energy throughout the concert vs Elevation or any other tour. There are so many highlights and Bono sounded awesome but fix the flow of the setlist. I will probably give it another shot this week, but last night was the first time I left a U2 concert a little hungry for more energy and excitement from the band. The reviews of Chicago 4 are awesome, why do they need to play 4 shows in 1 city to get that great concert. They have the ability every night and we are paying the ticket prices, make it happen night after night. A little variety and not so much predictability will give the band more energy. It seems that last night they are a little bored with the set, switch it up and this tour will go down in the history books. I think Chicago 4 is the perfect example. Everyone is going nuts with excitement and there are no compaints about that show, I have not read one!! Why? Not so predictable and the flow of the setlist was amazing! Gives the band and fans lots of energy, including the die-hards and the casual fans.

95% of the fans going to the shows dont know the setlist beforehand, "mixing it up" really only interests the diehards

they should play their best possible setlist as much as they can

it only slows down for the last 2 songs, Yahweh and 40. U2 has always like to have a concert end with slower songs, with the only exception being the Elevation Tour, and its not like Walk On is a huge rocker.

Anybody that leaves a concert during mysterious ways really isnt a fan anyway.

Am I the only one who thinks that they can't be 100% perfect and "on" every night? Seriously, they're human beings and not every show is going to be exactly what you want. Who cares about what the crowd is like. I go there for my enjoyment and if the band is a little off, so what. I wouldn't want to be the one to have to get on stage 5 days a week for a year. I could never do it, but they do it and I know that they do their best at every show. They're not perfect, they're people who just happen to create amazing music.

due... the doors opened at 6:00... kings of leon started at exactly 7:30... you walked in the door at 8, and you expect sympathy for not getting a chance to get into the ellipse? yea ok... i'll feel sorry for you once the massive sunburn i got from sitting outside the arena for 10 hours goes away.

yeah i don't feel bad for you. you don't deserve to get into the ellipse if you don't try.

i never got fans who moaned about setlists.

its u2's art-all their songs.
they should present their art their way.

db9

I've been critical of the lottery before but last night was my first night watching the system at work. The highs and the lows of it are amazing. I had a friend at the front of the line and she got lucky and got in with a friend who got selected, so she ended up right in front of the main stage. She called me and was so happy and I was so happy for her.

I was in 123 right by the door to the ellipse. I think 30-40 people walked out of the ellipse before the show was over. There was a big exodus right before ABOY. These people knew the show was not over, but I guess beating the traffic was more important. The whole thing was just awful. It made me so angry I wanted to throw my beer cup at them.

I felt so bad for everyone right in front of the ellipse. People who had probably been in line all day. I watched towards the end of the show everyone in that area a singing every word of Yahweh, thinking to myself why aren't these people inside?!?!

I'll save my review of the show as a whole for another time, but watching the whole lottery spectacle at work really affected my night. I really admire all of you who are still willing to line up all day just for a CHANCE to be in the front.

BTW, the u2.com line was a fan club line, not a presale line. All you needed to get in it was a membership card or profile. You did not need a presale ticket despite the fact that there was a presale for this show.

i dont think this slowed down compared to elevation tour. that tour had an acoustic set, thats slowing it down...this had 20 rocking songs staright thru....i dont know why people are so negative, the shows are awesome!

Sorry 'bout going beyond the main point here, but when did you get GAs at the box office? Early morning, late afternoon? I am going to Philly 2 but I have no ticket yet.

Any scoop on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yeah I saw you. At the corner of my eye, I thought you were Bono for a split second.

PatrickM said:
Sorry 'bout going beyond the main point here, but when did you get GAs at the box office? Early morning, late afternoon? I am going to Philly 2 but I have no ticket yet.

Any scoop on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A guy purchased a GA at the box office around 2:00-2:30 on Saturday. Good luck.

fielder31 said:
I went to Philly last night and was able to get 2 GA's with no problem for face value and then had trouble selling my 2 lower levels for face value. I thought these tickets were so impossible, not last night. I stayed in the parking lot until around 8 with friends and 3 of us went into the arena with GA's and they would not scan our tickets. They said the ellipse was full and they were shutting down the labtops. This is B-Shit, they have a statement that this system allows everyone a fair chance, not the case for me and 2 others. They know how many GA's are sold, ever ticket should be scanned. Also, the back of the floor was clearing out after Mysterious Ways. This was my 3rd show of the tour and the band needs to improve on their standard 1 night set, it is so predictable and the flow of the concert can be so much better. They have the arena going crazy and then the air is let out by playing Yaweah then 40. I will never complain about the which songs are played, that is a no win situation, but make the setlist flow to keep up with the fans. I tailgated with around 20 people and after the concert everyone said the same thing, the concert really slowed down and almost became very boring. I love U2 and have seen them numerous times and they are so great live but this tour lacks the consistent energy throughout the concert vs Elevation or any other tour. There are so many highlights and Bono sounded awesome but fix the flow of the setlist. I will probably give it another shot this week, but last night was the first time I left a U2 concert a little hungry for more energy and excitement from the band. The reviews of Chicago 4 are awesome, why do they need to play 4 shows in 1 city to get that great concert. They have the ability every night and we are paying the ticket prices, make it happen night after night. A little variety and not so much predictability will give the band more energy. It seems that last night they are a little bored with the set, switch it up and this tour will go down in the history books. I think Chicago 4 is the perfect example. Everyone is going nuts with excitement and there are no compaints about that show, I have not read one!! Why? Not so predictable and the flow of the setlist was amazing! Gives the band and fans lots of energy, including the die-hards and the casual fans.

You think Chicago 4 rocked!! You should have seen Chicago 3, OH THE ENERGY!!!:drool:

jag0918 said:
ok fixed my avatar pic, lol..man was I trashed in that pic
I saw you rockin out in the entrance to my section 207A pretty much the whole night. People were scared of you. Did you see the guys with the video cam get busted in the first row of that section?

Last edited:
I'm surprised you couldn't sell your lowers for face value for the 5/14 show even at the last minute. I was gonna try to go to that show but held off b/c I couldn't find any good seats for under like $500-$600/pair.

But honestly, if you were gonna wait until 8 to go to the show, why didn't you just hang on to the lowers that you had?

I went to will call to pick up my tickets and they released GA's. Little bit of luck but well deserved for the time I spent trying to get tickets for the show.

Also regarding Headache, the policy states every GA ticket holder has an equal chance, I just stated that was not the case if you get there after a certain time. KOL suck and I would rather drink beer and party with my friends since I love the band but don't need to watch the roadies set the stage. Also if you don;t feel bad about the ellipse, am I suppose to feel bad you sat in the sun for 10 hours and now have sunburn?

Also, I agree the back of the floor is the place to go if you don't get into the ellipse. Great view, Great sound, lots of room, and you can leave to use the restrooms, get a beer, soda, and return to the same place.

fielder31 said:
Also regarding Headache, the policy states every GA ticket holder has an equal chance, I just stated that was not the case if you get there after a certain time. KOL suck and I would rather drink beer and party with my friends since I love the band but don't need to watch the roadies set the stage. Also if you don;t feel bad about the ellipse, am I suppose to feel bad you sat in the sun for 10 hours and now have sunburn?

i don't expect you to feel bad about my sunburn... it was my own decision to sit outside all day and it was well worth it.

all i'm saying is that there's a little common sense to be used here... the ticketed show start time is 7:30, you got in at 8:00... you expect them to keep the scanners going all night or something? they have to stop sometime...

one would think it would be pretty obvious to most people that you're pressing your luck if you arrive after the show's actually started... two hours after the doors opened.

Last edited:
luis.mf said:
I've been critical of the lottery before but last night was my first night watching the system at work. The highs and the lows of it are amazing. I had a friend at the front of the line and she got lucky and got in with a friend who got selected, so she ended up right in front of the main stage. She called me and was so happy and I was so happy for her.

I was in 123 right by the door to the ellipse. I think 30-40 people walked out of the ellipse before the show was over. There was a big exodus right before ABOY. These people knew the show was not over, but I guess beating the traffic was more important. The whole thing was just awful. It made me so angry I wanted to throw my beer cup at them.

I felt so bad for everyone right in front of the ellipse. People who had probably been in line all day. I watched towards the end of the show everyone in that area a singing every word of Yahweh, thinking to myself why aren't these people inside?!?!

Hey-were you in the first or second row? My buddy and I snuck down to empty seats in the first row right near the ellipse (section 123) and with two minutes to showtime, and NOT A SOUL sitting around us, some guy in all black gear (different than the maroon the rest of the security were wearing) comes up to us and asks us to leave. Watching from my seats the rest of the show, not one of those seats was taken. Needless to say the guy had short-man complex and should have let us stay in those seats (first row, section 123, left of the aisle). On a cool note, Dallas did give my buddy a guitar pick after tuneup!

I'll save my review of the show as a whole for another time, but watching the whole lottery spectacle at work really affected my night. I really admire all of you who are still willing to line up all day just for a CHANCE to be in the front.

BTW, the u2.com line was a fan club line, not a presale line. All you needed to get in it was a membership card or profile. You did not need a presale ticket despite the fact that there was a presale for this show.

Love it great idea, wait untill the beer and your chance of getting in to the eclipse
are both gone....

Back
Top Bottom