Never again am i doing GA!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"it's rock and roll" doesn't give people license to be rude, inconsiderate, or push ahead of others. This myth that all U2 fans are not like that is just that, a myth.

It's not worth putting up w/ the stress and hassles because some people get carried away and can't be fair or whatever you want to call it and police themselves.

I guess some people will just trample on others or do whatever they have to do to get doused w/ Bono's sweat or whatever, it's just not that important to me. All I need is the music. I did GA three times last tour, had a few negative experiences. But I understand why people who never have want to and are disappointed by what can happen.

i'm only 5'3" and my two GA experiences were awesome. of course, i waited in line all day and got good spots near the stage (once inside the heart and once outside the ellipse) and i was fortunate to be around nice people who let me go in front a couple times to get some nice snapshots of bono. i was also wearing 4-inch platforms. doesn't hurt to be well-prepared.

Thank god I traded my GAs for seats :| all 4 shows I'm going to I have seats, 2 shows good seats ,the other 2 amazing seats! I'm 5'1" and after reading the non-positive GA stories I know I did the right thing.

However, I may try one GA show in November because I need my on stage moment :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
"it's rock and roll" doesn't give people license to be rude, inconsiderate, or push ahead of others. This myth that all U2 fans are not like that is just that, a myth.

I agree with this. It really take someone calling them out on it. When they start pushing through just start yelling and screaming. Start saying stuff like "I don't know karate, but I know crazy." Usually this will get everyone else pissed too and they'll start yelling as well. It just take one person to start yelling, then everyone does then the whole possible riot scene makes them back off a little bit.

Also threats work well too. I saw Coldplay in Cleveland in '03 and it was an all GA venue. My brother and I waited outside all day. When it was about time to go in, there were a couple "frat boys" who were going to cut right when they opened the gates. They were "milling" around the radio station booth just biding their time. Everyone in line noticed it and was upset, but no one was saying anything. Finally, I got pissed off enough by it and walked right up to them and said if they tried and cut and suceeded in cutting anywhere in front of me or my brother in line I would kill them. I said it with a completely straight face with that kind of "crazy rage" where I made it seem I would legitimately enjoy getting into a fight with someone. (I've never had so much adrenaline in my life by the way.) Then they were kind of stunned and within a minute they left and went back to their respective places in line. 10 minutes later another guy and his wife were trying to pull the same scam. Me and this other girl immediately started yelling at him and saying to go back to the end of the line. His argument was that he wasn't going to cut in front of us so not to worry about it. After he made that argument, I proceeded to walk down the line and point him out to everyone in line and tell them he was trying to cut. He finally left too after I got 50+ people yelling shit about it. Great fun!!

You just have to innovative and little crazy in GA situations.

i was at the GA last night vancouver 1....im about 5'3....i wore really huge platform runners....and i got an awesome spot...on the tip of the eclipse along the rail...and i showed up real early for the lineup...so i had an awesome time!!!! real awesome time actually!!! but i have to agree if i had a few rows of ppl infront of me...i probably wouldn't be able to see anything. so i guess...if u get a good spot....and for that i would show up early. so if u dont get beeped into the eclipse...at least ull get a good spot along the rail...along the eclipse.!

OffAxis said:

I agree with this. It really take someone calling them out on it. When they start pushing through just start yelling and screaming. Start saying stuff like "I don't know karate, but I know crazy." Usually this will get everyone else pissed too and they'll start yelling as well. It just take one person to start yelling, then everyone does then the whole possible riot scene makes them back off a little bit.

Also threats work well too. I saw Coldplay in Cleveland in '03 and it was an all GA venue. My brother and I waited outside all day. When it was about time to go in, there were a couple "frat boys" who were going to cut right when they opened the gates. They were "milling" around the radio station booth just biding their time. Everyone in line noticed it and was upset, but no one was saying anything. Finally, I got pissed off enough by it and walked right up to them and said if they tried and cut and suceeded in cutting anywhere in front of me or my brother in line I would kill them. I said it with a completely straight face with that kind of "crazy rage" where I made it seem I would legitimately enjoy getting into a fight with someone. (I've never had so much adrenaline in my life by the way.) Then they were kind of stunned and within a minute they left and went back to their respective places in line. 10 minutes later another guy and his wife were trying to pull the same scam. Me and this other girl immediately started yelling at him and saying to go back to the end of the line. His argument was that he wasn't going to cut in front of us so not to worry about it. After he made that argument, I proceeded to walk down the line and point him out to everyone in line and tell them he was trying to cut. He finally left too after I got 50+ people yelling shit about it. Great fun!!

You just have to innovative and little crazy in GA situations.

Best advice so far - strength in numbers mixed with a little perceived insanity works everytime!

I'd also advice to get to know everybody around you as you establish your spot in the GA. You'll have at least 2 hours to kill anyways before U2 takes the stage, enjoy yourself. If someone shows up that early, odds are they are cool people. This way when 8:45 rolls around and the assholes start pushing their way up front, you've already created a nice sub-community waiting to yell, scream, and push them back as a team. Worked for me at Phoenix 1!

MrsSpringsteen said:

It's not worth putting up w/ the stress and hassles because some people get carried away and can't be fair or whatever you want to call it and police themselves.

I guess some people will just trample on others or do whatever they have to do to get doused w/ Bono's sweat or whatever, it's just not that important to me. All I need is the music. I did GA three times last tour, had a few negative experiences. But I understand why people who never have want to and are disappointed by what can happen.

Rock N Roll there are No Rules. Thats why I will try to go a perfect 30 for 30 in the Ellipse. This blows but no System is Perfect.:wink: So far I am 1 for 1 with GA and getting into the Ellipse. No way in hell I am ever going to get shut out. Its time to rebell and the message to spread about the GA Line. This Bono GA Ellipse system ain't going to work . It will change sometime at the end of October.

Super_Fan said:

Rock N Roll there are No Rules. Thats why I will try to go a perfect 30 for 30 in the Ellipse. This blows but no System is Perfect.:wink: So far I am 1 for 1 with GA and getting into the Ellipse. No way in hell I am ever going to get shut out. Its time to rebell and the message to spread about the GA Line. This Bono GA Ellipse system ain't going to work . It will change sometime at the end of October.

You have a inside source of some kind regarding the end of this lottery system in oct? I would sure like to know any details. I wish it would end! It just plain sucks! I want the old system back...:sad: where waiting early on in the morning got you inside the heart/ellipse. I have been to 3 shows so far and haven't got inside the ellipse.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates GA. I was begining to think it I was the only one. My experience sucked so bad I actual left before the show was over and I've NEVER done that before.

It was last tour in Chicago. My sister and I were pushed, shoved, stepped on and had beer spilled on us several times. The people around us were rude and either made out, talked or shoved the whole night! FUN! I don't care if it was $10 bucks I'll never do it again. Granted I understand things are different inside the ellispe/heart etc but I'm not gonna risk it. I perfer to have my own spot and know it's MY SPOT. To me it's sad that there are so many down right rude and obnoxious people.

paultjr said:
Best advice so far - strength in numbers mixed with a little perceived insanity works everytime!

If you ever have to get physical, grab the person by the neck. You have so much leverage in that position it's ridiculous. I did it once when restraining one of my stupid friends who was about to get us all killed.

I'm gearing up for my first U2 GA experience for Philly 2. What's a safe time to show up to get a spot on the rail?

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I'm gearing up for my first U2 GA experience for Philly 2. What's a safe time to show up to get a spot on the rail?

8:00 pm the night before.

I Looooved GA last tour. Went with friends, joined the line around noon. Hung out, had someone leave to get us lunch, met people, got into the heart easily. And once in the heart could come and go as we pleased as there were no bad spots. I was so excited for another GA tour this time round. Now I'm not so sure.

BTW, At what approximate height does one get a good view?

I am 5"4 and i got a SHIT view!! I think you need to be atleast 5"6 but more like 5'8 to be safe

Lemonfix said:
I Looooved GA last tour. Went with friends, joined the line around noon. Hung out, had someone leave to get us lunch, met people, got into the heart easily. And once in the heart could come and go as we pleased as there were no bad spots. I was so excited for another GA tour this time round. Now I'm not so sure.

BTW, At what approximate height does one get a good view?

Super_Fan said:

Rock N Roll there are No Rules.

For me there are rules, if there aren't for you or others, well..like for instance having common courtesy for others, not pushing ahead of people who were there ahead of you, etc. I don't think too many people did stuff like that last tour, maybe they did, but in my experience people were generally decent and respected others' spots, etc. Maybe there are new fans who aren't like that..

If being in an ellipse is the be all and end all for you and you're willing to do anything and everything to do it, even outside the bounds of fairness and respect for others-sorry, I just don't get it or approve of it either. Me I'd take a spot in the back of the floor before I'd ever push in front of someone else who had been there before. And I'd take a spot in the back to avoid certain types of fans :|

And sorry, I don't think you're going to control the ellipse system either-as far as I know that's still up to U2.

Last edited:
the only thing about GA that should be changed, IMO, is that they should ban all food and drinks from being on the floor

people pushing and squishing while holding beer, etc, just isn't a good combination

I've only been pushed in the GA once, and that was at the tour opener...people behind us were really out of control and not respectful. The other GA experiences have been amazing--I feel like I've had the best views of the show (I show up really early so I can be on the rail), and the one show for which I had seats was an interesting experience (I could see a birds-eye view of the stage, for instance, which I could not see from the floor) it just didn't have the energy of the floor experience. In Seattle two crazy women were pushing like crazy and people pointed them out to security, who promptly threatened them with removal.

Anyway, to each his/her own in terms of preferences...just my two cents on how positive it's been (and I've only been in the ellipse once in the past 6 shows).

OffAxis said:
It's rock'n'roll people. GA is the only way to go! I feel like I'm in a club gig down on the floor. It's only way to go in my opinion.

Exactly, I had seats in Vancouver 1 and GA on Vancouver 2. No comparisson.

I'm 5ft and have done both. As you can imagine the height gives me a great disadvantage:sad: i love to go GA but after i was nearly crushed at a gig there's no way i can do it... Given the choice of being able to see(seated) or not being able to see(GA) i'd have to go with seats... If i were taller it would be GA

Elessarian said:
What if your venue says "no lineups till 9am" Is that ever followed?

no. based on what i've seen, there is *always* a line--it just forms across the street from the venue. The conflict comes when 2 separate lines form, or when people newly arriving to the "non-official" line decide to just sprint onto the venue grounds instead of joining the fans the got there earlier. :rolleyes:

GA in the USA

Ok, how much space do they allow for GA in the USA- is it something the size of a tennis court or a couple of tennis courts put together?

We were just trying to keep things fair, I resent your "stupid" fan comment, not if you were meaning me personally , but becuase my 9 yr old granduaghter was also helping out. So sorry for being considerate and trying to teach my grands the same.

mr_perfect said:
ok so yesterday my wife and I lined up at 915am. We were number 115 in a numbering system started by some stupid fan that would write it with a marker. ok. all is well until they form the 2 separate lines, everyone goes rushing up all at once. so what happens, people who were further back in the line wind up in front of us. ok whatever.

we made it to 2nd row on Adams side (not ellipse) the view was awesome from there, but as mentioned above people started pusing and shoving and it got to be too much for my wife. I tried protecting her by going behind and taking the brunt of it, but she still couldnt handle the heat.

after an entire day sitting in line, and then no food or drink after 5pm, it was too much for her so she jumped over the security rail and just went to the back.

I too will never buy GA again...I have it again for MSG in November, but I will either trade, or just show up at show time. camping out is just a waste of time.

thank god for the 2 couples that we met in line, cause it did help time go by really fast...and we were all together on the floor as well...

great show btw! these guys are just awesome live...

On Friday it appears several changes took place in regards to my prior U2 concert experiences.

3 generations of U2 fans, Grandparents, children and grandchildren, all arrived at 4:00 am.

To our delight we are first in line.

A few minutes later a couple, sister and brother arrive. These folks were really nice people and I formed a quick friendship with J and through the day we discussed the many things that U2 fans seem to hold in common, e.g., ethics, morality, U2 experiences, music, Love and Peace or Else in general etc.

About 6 am, along came a couple of guys who identified them selves as "U2.com website members" and stood quite close to the front of the line. They asked us if we had tickets and informed us that the line would be split in 2 this day, i.e., one line for u2.com'ers and 1 for those of us who had not paid the 40 dollar fee to join the website. They also told us that "their" line would form where we were currently sitting, closest to the door. I know now that this was the first in a series of social engineering tactics we would see from the some u2.com members throughout the event to get the best spot possible on the floor.

Now remember we only have a total of 12 people at present and these 2 want us to move over to the other side so they can start their u2.com'er line.

Well we had already agreed with the other 2 folks’ {who came about the same time as us} suggestion to start a number list to allow movement in and out of the lineup and to avoid people unfairly getting in ahead of other early starters.

The U2.com lads reluctantly take their place in line after several minutes of questioning and attempts to split the line, its now about 6:20.

The exact chronology of happenstance from that point blurs a bit but the summary of occurrences is still all too clear.

People had 2 general reactions to the number list. One was that they were thankful and felt this was a good way to ensure fairness on a first come first serve basis. The second opinion I heard a lot of was that we should be forming separate lines as above, one for u2.com and one for GA only ticket holders. Those of the second opinion also had a third. We might as well split the line asap to avoid the inevitable split that would be foist upon all of us by a third group. Who this third group was, would be changed as each new u2.com'er made a request to split the line and move the ga'ers to the other side of the landing, and allow the .com line to be closest to the DOOR. So who would be the authority to split the line? I heard that it would be the venue security and then that it would be some one from Principal Management, U2's personal team, i.e., Paul MacGuiness and Co.

I spoke with the 2 Orca Bay Security guys (venue) and they went from saying they would honor the list to saying they would not, and then to siding with the idea of 2 lines to move people in faster. These guys would not say who split the line the day before. It was only later around 11 am when things got tense that the OBS guys said it had been a security official (again no mention of who's security) who split the line (announced over a bull horn) at about 4 PM the preceding day.

11 am and 2 lads in their early 20,s appear. Man are they with U2 management, are they roadies, film crew? Nope just 2 u2 .com'ers- dressed similar to all the crew we had seen around the back of the arena at the video shoot- acting very official. These guys end up getting the list and splitting the line. How this happened is that they wore the ga'ers down with deceit and spin doctoring that I now am sure has been well planed and used several shows in a row since the elevation tour (more on that later).

The sad thing is that we already had "One" line with mixed feelings and now these guys and their fellows really started working on us fans that could not or chose not to buy a subscription to u2.com.

Their logic? The line was split yesterday and WILL be split today by the pre-mentioned and still unnamed authorities, so why not get it over with now? This was only after they tried the whole U2.com membership / presale thing equates to "special privileges" tact.

Basically the argument was, "We paid 40 dollars to be members and we can buy tickets before the sale to the general public." Where this logic is faulty is that you CAN'T get presale tickets to a show added at the exact minute that ALL the first show tickets (presale and general ) are SOLD OUT and U2's management adds a second show!

Voices were raised, security was non committal other than to playing their own self serving games and finally as one of those against the split the .com'ers were working I said, "Fine then go split the line if you can but you and I and everyone know this is unfair bullshit based on a smoke and mirros argument which is really an attempt to show up late in the day and move up in line , next to the door and in an overall better position to race the other GA ticket holders to the floor." But .com's guilty consceince would not allow that as the last word. They had to keep going on with their circular logic until they were told to "shut up, and go away to make their line."

Is this a U2 concert ?

Lets move on past all the new attempts by the people in the now split and moved over line to pacify and justify, past all the incidents where those friends of U2.com slip in at various points of their special line.

Yes on now to the official announcement over the bullhorn as prophesied. "Folks," said an Orca Bay (venu) official, "this is the general admission line area, all seat ticket holders can line up around the East Side of the building, thanks." What no mention of the sacred U2.com people, no blessing by Bono ,Edge, Larry, and Adam who appear to greet the mighty .com all with their backs to us lowly ga'ers? awwww.

Anyways, the magic moment arrives and heres where the whole thing comes clear. At # 4 in the ga'er line while security sifts through a purse, the now # 15 or so person is rushing through in their U2.com line to the floor or to the bar to secure the top of the vat for their friends who are racing ahead to the floor.

Now here's the interesting , God was smiling on me part. I pass my ticket to the second scan person and 'beep" ! So I retrieve my wife who is ahead of me and trying to get to the floor while #'s 16 to 20 or so from the U2.com line are racing her and we get a front rail spot in the ellipse with me right in front of the edge's gear.

But, more to come. I again tell one of the 2 U2 garment clad lads from above to leave me alone after he says, "See you got a good spot."

Then I need to switch spots with my wife so that someone's boyfriend, standing behind his girlfriend beside my wife, will take his elbow out of my wife’s rib and place it mine. I try to explain that he is in the second row, the first row is full, and that he needs to release his death grip on the rail and stop pushing. He says no as the booze breath fills my nostrils and his glassed eyes say, "and what of it?"

Now here is where I see the difference between the security team outside and inside (i believe they are 2 different company's). The security guy directly in front of me politely and calmly tells me to relax and let him handle things. He then tells the guy behind that if does not remove his elbow from my ribs, he will be escorted out. The guy behind me then says, no , again. Security says okay its your choice lets go. The guy behind then apologizes and shakes my hand, which I accept and we all somehow were completely comfortable throughout the show.

Back at the far edge of the ellipse my grandkid's parents are trying avoid my grand's being crushed by more drunks who say they "don't fucking care" about their pushing or the 4 and 8 year old that we felt would be safe on the floor as per the fact that this was not some power speed black thrash death metal act.

Here again inside security and in fact U2's floor crew come to the rescue and gets my granddaughter out of the fray and into the sound pit. I was told earlier that the night before that some young children and an elderly couple (75 yr. olders) were "invited in " to the sound pit for the same reasons." okay now we start to see the real U2 conduct the band is known for.

Anyway thanks if you read all this. I will be speaking with Orca Bay Management, sending my respective concerns and thanks to the separate security teams, and also I will be navigating the appropriate Principal Management and U2.com staff channels in an attempt to let the band know what we experienced.

I DONT BLAME U2 IN ANY WAY, THEY DO NOT HAVE AND DO NOT NEED AN ASSHOLE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM.

Anyway thanks AGAIN if you read all this. And yes I did apologize to God, my family and myself for my poor conduct, and yes I am still so disappointed with the new crew that seems to be attending shows. Apparently in Boston the .com'ers got upset when they weren’t given preference over people that the Band and Video crew selected randomly from the crowd, you know people who can't afford to follow the band a network of successive shows, hook up friends in a special line, KNOW how to BE the #1 fan at the exact spot they WANT all so they can yell into their cell phone while your trying to hear the band, "HEY MAN, GUESS WHERE I AM YOU LOSER?

Amen

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Philly 2 is a Sunday, right? We lined up at just before 6am at Seattle1 (also a Sunday show) and were numbers 40 and 41. I don't think anyone got a rail spot who arrived after 50 or so (unless they got inside the ellipse). For Monday's show, people arrived later and still got good rail spots.

But "back in the day" for Elevation, we got an inside rail spot in Vegas when we lined up around 10am - number 160 or something (?)

If you can't get rail, but do get inside, stay towards the back so you can see better and have a chance at 'em when they're on the catwalk too. Otherwise, shoot for Adam's side (your right), since you'll get more play on that side of the catwalk.

Your best strategy?.... get to sleep early the night before!!! :wink:

Last edited:
WildHoney said:
I'm 5ft and have done both. As you can imagine the height gives me a great disadvantage:sad: i love to go GA but after i was nearly crushed at a gig there's no way i can do it... Given the choice of being able to see(seated) or not being able to see(GA) i'd have to go with seats... If i were taller it would be GA
Well, I'm legally blind, so seats won't do me any good. They're too far away to see from there. I'm also fairly short - 5ft 3.5 inches -- so I went for the rail wherever I could get it!

Denver 1 I was lucky to be front center in the ellipse. That was my birthday and all I can say is it was God's birthday present to me that I wound up there!! I could see the band just fine.

Denver 2, I was on the rail of the ellipse. I could see them just fine when they were on the ellipse. Could only see "where they were" when they were on the stage, but I could see ther whole light show! Although people from the center attempted to shove their friends into the center with them, I had my elbow latched into a corner of the inside of the railing, and I wasn't going ANYWHERE!!! When I chose that spot, there was space enough for one person between me and the tall man closer to the center. A lady took that apot, and that was when we noticed the attempts from the center to squeese others in. The tall man kept pushing into the woman between him and me. I did notice, later, that the shoving wasn't happening as much. So I looked over and saw that the tall man was in the second row of people and some shorter people were in front of him. :D

BTW, MattPhisto was on the otherside of me for a while. Hey Matt, where are your pictures??? :D :D I'll have mine online soon.

4/29 was my first U2 concert, and I had GA. I was thrilled when my friends ticket scan was accepted into the ellipse. We had only lined up at 3PM that day so when we got there the railing had already been completely filled. So we squeezed our way to the centre of the stage, about a foot from the railing.

I had a fine time as the show was starting but about a third of the way through the first set people started pushing me and elbowing my ribs to get in my way. I was getting really pissed off by the end of the night. And I'm not short, I'm 6'1" so I'm tall compared to lots of the people there. But all the shoving and everything was almost too much for me to handle. At one point I had to grab onto the railing to steady myself and the guy in front of me at the railing, ripped my hand off of it, causing me to nearly fall right into him. And this bitch behind me kept telling me to move out the way cause I was too tall, even though I had been there way before her. Overall, it was a terrible experince other the actual show.

where were you in the crowd? You might have been near me. I'm the one who had the sign. :D Anyway, the girl to my right got weird about my camera flashes! Excuse me?? All the other cameras in the place, and all the flashing lights on the stage, how in the bloody hell did MY flash bother her? Maybe she was jealous because she didn't have a camera! LOL! Due to my vision and my not always being able to hold my hand steady, I take a lot so that *something* will turn out!! A security guy had asked me to "chill out with the flash" and although she denied complaining to him, I don't believe her.

As they say, there's one in every crowd! Other than her, everyone I ran into was friendly.

Back
Top Bottom