MERGED--> Discussions of Bono's voice/microphone/vocals etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Am I crazy, or was Bono's microphone screwed up last night?

I went to the opener (which was spectacular, for an opening night) and it really seemed like the vocal mix was royally screwed up. I noticed it almost immediately: Bono's voice sounded much higher than it usually does--almost a helium / Mickey Mouse voice at times, seriously. I was so uncomfortable about it, but I was with friends who are only casual U2 fans, so I was afraid to comment on it at the time and bring down their enjoyment. I remember thinking to myself during the early songs, "I'm glad everyone's having a great time, but damn, his voice sounds wayyyyy off."

After a few songs, some guy a few rows back from me yelled "Stop screwing with his voice!" Once I heard that, I thought, okay, it's obvious to the other hardcore fans here, too.

I also noticed that Bono had the crowd sing large chunks of the lyrics for many songs. It worked out great: the fans were screaming out all the lines perfectly. I thought he did this -- at least in part -- because there was a problem in the soundbooth with the vocal feed.

Also, at one point, Bono said "Well, we're allowed to make mistakes, it's opening night, we're among friends, right?" I figured he must have been referring to the vocals.

Anyway, just wanted to see what others who went to the show thought.

Otherwise, the night was great. This tour is only going to get better as it rolls on, too--U2 tours always do :)

Last edited:
I agree with you. I thought his voice or the way they mixed the audio seemed off. Also, he gave The Edge the higher notes to sing...it was like he either wasn't comfortable going for the higher notes or was making a conscious effort to save his voice.

I thought that at a few of the shows I went to during the elevation tour. I thought he sounded like he sucked down a tank of helium before the show. It's funny that you brought that up.

I think he's not singing or even " screaming" when he should (beginning of New year day for example" to save his voice........but its frustrating sometimes because you feel he's not pushing himself and that he's doing the very minimum vocally.

Many song I was like: "Come on! stop talking the song but sing it!!!"

I was very hungry to hear him singing hard but I was left on that hunger. What I liked tough is the way they are changing the tunes...Edge is stealing the show really.

Tony

Tony said:
I think he's not singing or even " screaming" when he should (beginning of New year day for example" to save his voice........but its frustrating sometimes because you feel he's not pushing himself and that he's doing the very minimum vocally.

Many song I was like: "Come on! stop talking the song but sing it!!!"

I was very hungry to hear him singing hard but I was left on that hunger. What I liked tough is the way they are changing the tunes...Edge is stealing the show really.

Tony

Hmmm... this reply isn't quite in-line with the topic of this thread, which is the vocal mix, not the vocal performance.

Also, I think you're being way too hard on Bono. If he belted out all the songs on Day 1, he runs the risk of really damaging his voice. He did this early on the JT tour - when he would belt/scream out songs - and it hurt. In fact, it hurt him for a while. During the LoveTown tour, U2 had to cancel shows because of Bono's problems - and they even cancelled a JT show because of it. Bono also hurt his voice early on the PopMart tour and that affected him for almost the entire tour. He never fully regained his voice - often losing it (like with the Sarajevo concert).

As such, I applaud Bono for restraining a bit. After the tour gets going and his voice has been "worked out", he'll probably open up. But to do it now would be foolish, especially as it could cause problems for the entire tour.

Last edited:
Re: Am I crazy, or was Bono's microphone screwed up last night?

LyricalDrug said:
I went to the opener (which was spectacular, for an opening night) and it really seemed like the vocal mix was royally screwed up. I noticed it almost immediately: Bono's voice sounded much higher than it usually does--almost a helium / Mickey Mouse voice at times, seriously. I was so uncomfortable about it, but I was with friends who are only casual U2 fans, so I was afraid to comment on it at the time and bring down their enjoyment. I remember thinking to myself during the early songs, "I'm glad everyone's having a great time, but damn, his voice sounds wayyyyy off."

After a few songs, some guy a few rows back from me yelled "Stop screwing with his voice!" Once I heard that, I thought, okay, it's obvious to the other hardcore fans here, too.

I also noticed that Bono had the crowd sing large chunks of the lyrics for many songs. It worked out great: the fans were screaming out all the lines perfectly. I thought he did this -- at least in part -- because there was a problem in the soundbooth with the vocal feed.

Also, at one point, Bono said "Well, we're allowed to make mistakes, it's opening night, we're among friends, right?" I figured he must have been referring to the vocals.

Anyway, just wanted to see what others who went to the show thought.

Otherwise, the night was great. This tour is only going to get better as it rolls on, too--U2 tours always do :)

I didn't notice anything with the vocal mix but the sound in that arena in general was appalling and I missed a lot of what Bono said as a result. I did not catch his comment about making mistakes and being among friends.

It was so great to be at the opener but I agree something was off. The SD Sports Arena is known for NOT being the best place accoustically but I think it was more that that. Something was up with the vocals too and that perhaps Bono wasn't giving it his all. After all, I suppose he's got to save his voice for the next 8 months.

The concert was great but what is up with Bono?

I wasnt there, first off.

The recordings that I have heard have the band sound GREAT - but Bono really needs to at least try to learn his songs lyrics.

I was soooo looking forward to Zoo Station and the Fly but damn
I know no one is perfect, but please. I can sing those songs better.

He only sang these songs, what, 1 million times before?

I like when Bono makes up some lines etc, or even when he makes mistakes that is fine, but when the songs become totally messed up it gets a little much.

watch_more_tv

It was opening night! He may have sung these songs a million times, but he doesnt listen to his own music every day and doesnt sing those songs every day.

It was the first show of the tour for fucks sake.

The band made more cash in one night than you have in the last year. Bono has one job on stage and it is to sing. I think he should know the words to his songs, even if it is opening night.

So maybe he missed a few words, and yeshe should (and probably will) work on that. However, the quality of his voice (though not stretched to the max) really surprised me in a positive way. I didn't think it would actually sound this good (being aware that this isn't the JT/LT/ZTV era anymore).

Ok, I didn't notice but I thought they did a great job considering it was opening nite.

Ok so do you want Bono to be like Axel and sing from a monitor on stage. Please.

They were soundchecking for a long time and trying to get it right.

People make mistakes.

I have no criticism of him at all, and he's been that way from day one with lyrics, and it's charming. He's not one of Simon Cowell's Karoke singers, he's one in a million, one in a trillion, and we're so lucky to have U2.

U2 and Bono make magic, and you won't find that in life very often, it's a gift.

Last edited:
tkramer said:
The band made more cash in one night than you have in the last year. Bono has one job on stage and it is to sing. I think he should know the words to his songs, even if it is opening night.
so your saying you could remember 23 songs, which you have played or listened to for over 3 years and in some cases longer? when actors forget there scripts they have a second third forth fifth take, when bono does it he has to cover it up,

you must have one hell of a memory if you can do all that

Well, his voice is his instrument. Imagine if Larry didn't know a couple of song and missed some cues. It would've been a disaster. Imagine if Edge or Adam had done the same.

Bono is a musician and his first responsibility is to know the songs.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Well, his voice is his instrument. Imagine if Larry didn't know a couple of song and missed some cues. It would've been a disaster. Imagine if Edge or Adam had done the same.

easier said than done, thats the good thing about being human, we make mistakes, we forget things, i bet even bono still gets slightly nervous at the start of a huge tour, now whats it like to remember things at the best of times? never mind when your about to go out infront of 14,000 people who are basically already dissapointed because U2 havent picked the songs they want them to play

Does anyone know if he's been off doing work for debt recovery recently? Great gig but he just didn't seem to be up to speed for whatever reason.

Couple things here.

First, I think it's pretty cool that Bono himself said The Fly was crap that night. He knew he fucked it up, but hey, shit happens. It's when you can't accept the fact you fucked up that it's a problem.

Secondly, I've heard reports that the guys worked right up until that afternoon tweaking the set list. They just didn't like the setlist they ended up with after the last dress rehearsal on Sat. night, and they spent the next day and a half tweaking it and changing it. When that happens, it's hard to really have a free flowing show, I would imagine. It was probably more like work for them to make sure they got it right. Had they had the set list nailed down for a couple weeks and didn't mess ith it right up until the day of the show, I would say there may be some concern. I think by the time summer rolls around, there will be other things they will be fucking up on.....they are human after all, right?

No worries...I like flaws and defects...let's us know we aren't perfect, and nobody is.

ascender_RS said:
Does anyone know if he's been off doing work for debt recovery recently? Great gig but he just didn't seem to be up to speed for whatever reason.
again come on lets give the guy a brake for fucks sake, first night and your already saying "he wasnt there" "he didnt look interested" i'll defend the guys to the last,

BrownEyedBoy said:

Ok Adam had problems with his bass and Edge made some mistakes. So Bono is allowed to make some.

Geez people!

BrownEyedBoy said:

You're right, his voice is his instrument the problem is he can't rehearse his instrument as much as Larry or Edge or Adam so he's at a major disadvantage.

Erin go bragh said:
Couple things here.

First, I think it's pretty cool that Bono himself said The Fly was crap that night. He knew he fucked it up, but hey, shit happens. It's when you can't accept the fact you fucked up that it's a problem.

Secondly, I've heard reports that the guys worked right up until that afternoon tweaking the set list. They just didn't like the setlist they ended up with after the last dress rehearsal on Sat. night, and they spent the next day and a half tweaking it and changing it. When that happens, it's hard to really have a free flowing show, I would imagine. It was probably more like work for them to make sure they got it right. Had they had the set list nailed down for a couple weeks and didn't mess ith it right up until the day of the show, I would say there may be some concern. I think by the time summer rolls around, there will be other things they will be fucking up on.....they are human after all, right?

No worries...I like flaws and defects...let's us know we aren't perfect, and nobody is.

I totally agree. Yes, they were soundchecking a lot Monday afternoon.

They didn't let us in until 6:30 pm!

he did fuck up a couple songs, especially FLY, and ZOO station. I thought ZOO station was pretty funny actually, but the FLY needs to be taken care of.

There were a couple other songs as well, but like everyone is saying, its opening night. He'll have it straightened out in a week.

KUEFC09U2 said:
so your saying you could remember 23 songs, which you have played or listened to for over 3 years and in some cases longer? when actors forget there scripts they have a second third forth fifth take, when bono does it he has to cover it up,

you must have one hell of a memory if you can do all that

My wife and my best friend are both musicians AND members of a symphony. Knowing the words to songs is nothing compared to the insane crap they have taught themselves to do. I personally don't care if Bono forgets words, heck he's done it since day one, I'm just saying I could see if it bothers someone who paid 160.00 for him to know them.

Last edited:
people worried about bono's voice...

listen to beutiful day from san diego, i mean, the notes he is hitting there, havent heard that in a LONG time

Look: you guys are talking about the guy who stood next to Bob Dylan onstage in 1980 and made up new lyrics to "blowin In The Wind" becuase he had forgotten them. He was sure Bob would understand.

Forgetting his own lyrics is a life-long endearing (at times) Bono trait--along with bad driving, nailbiting, losing everything not nailed down (including laptops:).

If I was performing with Bob and forgot the lyrics to BITW TODAY I'd go nuts. Imagine being 20 and doing that.

As someone on Wiure wrote last night, you needed a wheelbarrow to cart Bono in and out of the arena, his balls were so big. That's our Bono.:wink:

Last edited:
Re: people worried about bono's voice...

KUEFC09U2 said:
listen to beutiful day from san diego, i mean, the notes he is hitting there, havent heard that in a LONG time

Agreed. Bono's voice sounds good. When I saw them in DC on the first leg of the Elevation tour Bono's voice sounded really bad. I was truly worried for the future of the band. Then when I saw them again that Fall his voice sounded awesome, even better than it did Monday. I think it's just one of those things where the fans have to understand he's going to have good days and bad days. It didn't matter much how his voice sounded on Monday because the crowd was singing louder than him on just about every song.

I remember seeing a quote talking about the band was talking about how bad Bono's voice was getting....this was on the Joshua Tree tour.

Back
Top Bottom