MERGED--> Discussions of Bono's voice/microphone/vocals etc - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > Fan Experiences and Tour Photos
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-29-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
LyricalDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SF Bay Area, California, USA
Posts: 3,212
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Am I crazy, or was Bono's microphone screwed up last night?

I went to the opener (which was spectacular, for an opening night) and it really seemed like the vocal mix was royally screwed up. I noticed it almost immediately: Bono's voice sounded much higher than it usually does--almost a helium / Mickey Mouse voice at times, seriously. I was so uncomfortable about it, but I was with friends who are only casual U2 fans, so I was afraid to comment on it at the time and bring down their enjoyment. I remember thinking to myself during the early songs, "I'm glad everyone's having a great time, but damn, his voice sounds wayyyyy off."

After a few songs, some guy a few rows back from me yelled "Stop screwing with his voice!" Once I heard that, I thought, okay, it's obvious to the other hardcore fans here, too.

I also noticed that Bono had the crowd sing large chunks of the lyrics for many songs. It worked out great: the fans were screaming out all the lines perfectly. I thought he did this -- at least in part -- because there was a problem in the soundbooth with the vocal feed.

Also, at one point, Bono said "Well, we're allowed to make mistakes, it's opening night, we're among friends, right?" I figured he must have been referring to the vocals.

Anyway, just wanted to see what others who went to the show thought.

Otherwise, the night was great. This tour is only going to get better as it rolls on, too--U2 tours always do
__________________

LyricalDrug is offline  
Old 03-29-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
Refugee
 
Westport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 2,151
Local Time: 11:18 AM
I agree with you. I thought his voice or the way they mixed the audio seemed off. Also, he gave The Edge the higher notes to sing...it was like he either wasn't comfortable going for the higher notes or was making a conscious effort to save his voice.
__________________

Westport is offline  
Old 03-29-2005, 04:20 PM   #3
The Fly
 
MDFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Yo mama's house
Posts: 45
Local Time: 02:18 PM
I thought that at a few of the shows I went to during the elevation tour. I thought he sounded like he sucked down a tank of helium before the show. It's funny that you brought that up.
MDFan is offline  
Old 03-29-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
The Fly
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Montreal
Posts: 75
Local Time: 07:18 PM
I think he's not singing or even " screaming" when he should (beginning of New year day for example" to save his voice........but its frustrating sometimes because you feel he's not pushing himself and that he's doing the very minimum vocally.

Many song I was like: "Come on! stop talking the song but sing it!!!"

I was very hungry to hear him singing hard but I was left on that hunger. What I liked tough is the way they are changing the tunes...Edge is stealing the show really.

Tony
Tony is offline  
Old 03-29-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
doctorwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,362
Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony
I think he's not singing or even " screaming" when he should (beginning of New year day for example" to save his voice........but its frustrating sometimes because you feel he's not pushing himself and that he's doing the very minimum vocally.

Many song I was like: "Come on! stop talking the song but sing it!!!"

I was very hungry to hear him singing hard but I was left on that hunger. What I liked tough is the way they are changing the tunes...Edge is stealing the show really.

Tony
Hmmm... this reply isn't quite in-line with the topic of this thread, which is the vocal mix, not the vocal performance.

Also, I think you're being way too hard on Bono. If he belted out all the songs on Day 1, he runs the risk of really damaging his voice. He did this early on the JT tour - when he would belt/scream out songs - and it hurt. In fact, it hurt him for a while. During the LoveTown tour, U2 had to cancel shows because of Bono's problems - and they even cancelled a JT show because of it. Bono also hurt his voice early on the PopMart tour and that affected him for almost the entire tour. He never fully regained his voice - often losing it (like with the Sarajevo concert).

As such, I applaud Bono for restraining a bit. After the tour gets going and his voice has been "worked out", he'll probably open up. But to do it now would be foolish, especially as it could cause problems for the entire tour.
__________________
https://u2.interference.com/attachments/forums/signaturepics/sigpic11661_2.gifI always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
doctorwho is offline  
Old 03-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,652
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Re: Am I crazy, or was Bono's microphone screwed up last night?

Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug
I went to the opener (which was spectacular, for an opening night) and it really seemed like the vocal mix was royally screwed up. I noticed it almost immediately: Bono's voice sounded much higher than it usually does--almost a helium / Mickey Mouse voice at times, seriously. I was so uncomfortable about it, but I was with friends who are only casual U2 fans, so I was afraid to comment on it at the time and bring down their enjoyment. I remember thinking to myself during the early songs, "I'm glad everyone's having a great time, but damn, his voice sounds wayyyyy off."

After a few songs, some guy a few rows back from me yelled "Stop screwing with his voice!" Once I heard that, I thought, okay, it's obvious to the other hardcore fans here, too.

I also noticed that Bono had the crowd sing large chunks of the lyrics for many songs. It worked out great: the fans were screaming out all the lines perfectly. I thought he did this -- at least in part -- because there was a problem in the soundbooth with the vocal feed.

Also, at one point, Bono said "Well, we're allowed to make mistakes, it's opening night, we're among friends, right?" I figured he must have been referring to the vocals.

Anyway, just wanted to see what others who went to the show thought.

Otherwise, the night was great. This tour is only going to get better as it rolls on, too--U2 tours always do
I didn't notice anything with the vocal mix but the sound in that arena in general was appalling and I missed a lot of what Bono said as a result. I did not catch his comment about making mistakes and being among friends.
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 03-29-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
War Child
 
hotpepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: New York (I wish)
Posts: 739
Local Time: 12:18 PM

It was so great to be at the opener but I agree something was off. The SD Sports Arena is known for NOT being the best place accoustically but I think it was more that that. Something was up with the vocals too and that perhaps Bono wasn't giving it his all. After all, I suppose he's got to save his voice for the next 8 months.
hotpepper is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 07:30 AM   #8
Babyface
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 23
Local Time: 07:18 PM
The concert was great but what is up with Bono?

I wasnt there, first off.

The recordings that I have heard have the band sound GREAT - but Bono really needs to at least try to learn his songs lyrics.

I was soooo looking forward to Zoo Station and the Fly but damn
I know no one is perfect, but please. I can sing those songs better.

He only sang these songs, what, 1 million times before?

I like when Bono makes up some lines etc, or even when he makes mistakes that is fine, but when the songs become totally messed up it gets a little much.

watch_more_tv
watch_more_tv is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:01 AM   #9
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philly
Posts: 1,005
Local Time: 02:18 PM
It was opening night! He may have sung these songs a million times, but he doesnt listen to his own music every day and doesnt sing those songs every day.

It was the first show of the tour for fucks sake.
bonosleftone is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:05 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 02:18 PM
If he's still doing it in 2 week, it'll be a big problemo.
__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:06 AM   #11
War Child
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Mission, KS
Posts: 982
Local Time: 02:18 PM
The band made more cash in one night than you have in the last year. Bono has one job on stage and it is to sing. I think he should know the words to his songs, even if it is opening night.
tkramer is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #12
War Child
 
Vorsprung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 976
Local Time: 08:18 PM
So maybe he missed a few words, and yeshe should (and probably will) work on that. However, the quality of his voice (though not stretched to the max) really surprised me in a positive way. I didn't think it would actually sound this good (being aware that this isn't the JT/LT/ZTV era anymore).
Vorsprung is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #13
Refugee
 
skjuls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Learning to Bowl with Daniel Plainview
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 02:18 PM
Ok, I didn't notice but I thought they did a great job considering it was opening nite.

Ok so do you want Bono to be like Axel and sing from a monitor on stage. Please.

They were soundchecking for a long time and trying to get it right.

People make mistakes.
skjuls is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:32 AM   #14
War Child
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 523
Local Time: 11:18 AM
I have no criticism of him at all, and he's been that way from day one with lyrics, and it's charming. He's not one of Simon Cowell's Karoke singers, he's one in a million, one in a trillion, and we're so lucky to have U2.

U2 and Bono make magic, and you won't find that in life very often, it's a gift.
bonoed is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:38 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
KUEFC09U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,369
Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tkramer
The band made more cash in one night than you have in the last year. Bono has one job on stage and it is to sing. I think he should know the words to his songs, even if it is opening night.
so your saying you could remember 23 songs, which you have played or listened to for over 3 years and in some cases longer? when actors forget there scripts they have a second third forth fifth take, when bono does it he has to cover it up,

you must have one hell of a memory if you can do all that
KUEFC09U2 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BrownEyedBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Posts: 3,510
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Well, his voice is his instrument. Imagine if Larry didn't know a couple of song and missed some cues. It would've been a disaster. Imagine if Edge or Adam had done the same.

Bono is a musician and his first responsibility is to know the songs.
BrownEyedBoy is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
KUEFC09U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,369
Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
Well, his voice is his instrument. Imagine if Larry didn't know a couple of song and missed some cues. It would've been a disaster. Imagine if Edge or Adam had done the same.

Bono is a musician and his first responsibility is to know the songs.
easier said than done, thats the good thing about being human, we make mistakes, we forget things, i bet even bono still gets slightly nervous at the start of a huge tour, now whats it like to remember things at the best of times? never mind when your about to go out infront of 14,000 people who are basically already dissapointed because U2 havent picked the songs they want them to play
KUEFC09U2 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #18
Refugee
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,015
Local Time: 08:18 PM
Does anyone know if he's been off doing work for debt recovery recently? Great gig but he just didn't seem to be up to speed for whatever reason.
ascender_RS is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:46 AM   #19
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 179
Local Time: 07:18 PM
Couple things here.

First, I think it's pretty cool that Bono himself said The Fly was crap that night. He knew he fucked it up, but hey, shit happens. It's when you can't accept the fact you fucked up that it's a problem.

Secondly, I've heard reports that the guys worked right up until that afternoon tweaking the set list. They just didn't like the setlist they ended up with after the last dress rehearsal on Sat. night, and they spent the next day and a half tweaking it and changing it. When that happens, it's hard to really have a free flowing show, I would imagine. It was probably more like work for them to make sure they got it right. Had they had the set list nailed down for a couple weeks and didn't mess ith it right up until the day of the show, I would say there may be some concern. I think by the time summer rolls around, there will be other things they will be fucking up on.....they are human after all, right?

No worries...I like flaws and defects...let's us know we aren't perfect, and nobody is.
Erin go bragh is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:46 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
KUEFC09U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,369
Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ascender_RS
Does anyone know if he's been off doing work for debt recovery recently? Great gig but he just didn't seem to be up to speed for whatever reason.
again come on lets give the guy a brake for fucks sake, first night and your already saying "he wasnt there" "he didnt look interested" i'll defend the guys to the last,
__________________

KUEFC09U2 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×