MERGED--> Discussions of Bono's voice/microphone/vocals etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have to be deaf to think Bono's voice sounded good night 1

He not only sounded bad, he also sang bad.

Just listen to Miracle Drug. If your voice is shot, stop touring. Don't make me shell out $160 a ticket for that.

SELL YOUR TICKET THEN, jeesus if i see one more post like this i will fuckin crack up, if you feel YOUR gonna be dissapointed just domt go, i thought bono sounded the best he has for a while on an opening night

His voice hasn't sounded this good since ZooTV. It was shot on Popmart and it wasn't this good on Elevation - just compare last night's Beautiful Day with an Elevation performance.

KUEFC09U2 said:
SELL YOUR TICKET THEN, jeesus if i see one more post like this i will fuckin crack up, if you feel YOUR gonna be dissapointed just domt go, i thought bono sounded the best he has for a while on an opening night

I agree and everyone here is just complaining.

The show was great!!! I was there and had a grand ole time!

I wasn't there, but I got to listen to the bootleg. It must be hard to hear in the arena when you're actually there if he sounded good to those who were there.

Axver said:
His voice hasn't sounded this good since ZooTV. It was shot on Popmart and it wasn't this good on Elevation - just compare last night's Beautiful Day with an Elevation performance.

That is exactly right.

Well, I've listened to the MP3s, and I must admit that his voice sounds INFINITELY better on those than it did from my vantage point at the show. Maybe I was standing in a weird spot, acoustics-wise.

Ah well, I'd heard that the SD Arena has terrible acoustics.

Glad that he didn't sound as off as I had first thought.

Playing Devil's Advocate:

I understand there is to be some nervousness and unsurity regarding an opening night performance.

For $160 a ticket, is it too much to ask that the band be throuroughly ready and rehearsed for an opening night gig? My question isn't about Bono's voice per se...there were some weak spots...but more about missing lyrics, polished songs, etc. Some of the songs sounded like they were not rehearsed enough.

Like I said, it may be opening night jitters, and U2 on a sub par night is still better than 99% of the other acts around. It should be interesting to see how the next couple gigs come across.

I have the bootleg and i dont hear anything wrong with the vocal mix. It was probably being that the arena itself is 40 years old.

I thought he sounded fantastic. Granted, I wasn't there, but I'm just gonna hang with the "sounds good" crowd. :up::lol:

The show was great. Nuff said People!

If you want a polished show, wait a month.

The show will evolve and they will be spot on.

Not everyone was spot on.

Geez, you people need to lighten up.

This show rocked !

Re: You have to be deaf to think Bono's voice sounded good night 1

MDFan said:
He not only sounded bad, he also sang bad.

Just listen to Miracle Drug. If your voice is shot, stop touring. Don't make me shell out $160 a ticket for that.

Oh for fuck's sake. :mad: All of the negativity around here is driving me insane. If you have any other tickets, fucking SELL THEM to those of us who are actually excited about this tour.

I swear, over the last two days, Interference has turned into a steaming cesspit of negativity. People, you need to yank those carrots out of your arses and relax. I haven't heard any of the MP3's (not going to either - I want to hear the new stuff for the first time when I see them in Toronto) so I can't really comment on the performance. But still - even if his voice was a little off (and I doubt it's quite as bad as some people are claiming), then so be it. It was the opening night, for goodness' sake.

Nube Gris said:
"always wonder what his voice would sound like today if he had never touched a cigarette.

It's a shame because he was blessed with an absolutely amazing voice in his younger days"

Very True!
What we are hearing is a contaminated voice
I was hearing Bad from Live Aid yesterday, and i was impressed on what a powerful and wonderful voice he had back then
Also was listening to the Sometimes Grammy version and although his singing is full of emotion, he's voice is not what it should be, its very nasal, with no harmonics at all

He may be a better singer now, but his voice is not there

Does he have a vocal trainer?
He needs it, and more so, he must listen to him!
Beacuse the first rule is: No smoking

The thing is though is that the cigarettes actually gave him a great voice for the Achtung era. When you're a singer and you first start smoking it adds an element of grit and breadth to your voice and that's what made it sound so good on the Zoo TV stuff. The problem is that voice only lasts for a few years, then b/c of the continued smoking it fades. There's really no way to maintain it because it is slowly destroying it. It's hard b/c the cigarettes are killing his voice today (even if he quit 3 years ago), but they also helped him give us some of the best vocal performances ever.

Go see somebody else then for 30 bucks im sure youlle get your moneys worth just dont buy tickets for U2 because I am sure many others would gladly pay for the ticket and enjoy the show.

Re: Re: You have to be deaf to think Bono's voice sounded good night 1

GibsonGirl said:

People, you need to yank those carrots out of your arses.....

I believe those are lemons. :p

GibsonGirl said:
I swear, over the last two days, Interference has turned into a steaming cesspit of negativity.

Reminds me of the good old days after the release of HTDAAB. Oh yeah and during the "sell out" phase of the forum....And how can we forget the tour name negativity time, and nevermind the pre-tour setlist/lottery "freak outs".

And this was all only since November.:|

MDFan said:
I wasn't there, but I got to listen to the bootleg. It must be hard to hear in the arena when you're actually there if he sounded good to those who were there.

So you have determined that going to a u2 concert is a waste of your 160 dollars based on a nonofficial bootleg?

Plus, they had 95 dollar and 50 dollar tickets. You didn't have to pay that much.

well mdfan we don't have to worry about you getting a ticket over someone who doesn't moan like a bitch,because after your description i take it you don't want to see a band at it's musical or resounding peak.

GibsonGirl said:

Oh for fuck's sake. :mad: All of the negativity around here is driving me insane. If you have any other tickets, fucking SELL THEM to those of us who are actually excited about this tour.

I swear, over the last two days, Interference has turned into a steaming cesspit of negativity. People, you need to yank those carrots out of your arses and relax. I haven't heard any of the MP3's (not going to either - I want to hear the new stuff for the first time when I see them in Toronto) so I can't really comment on the performance. But still - even if his voice was a little off (and I doubt it's quite as bad as some people are claiming), then so be it. It was the opening night, for goodness' sake.

Why can't people make some constructive criticism without somebody saying "sell your tickets then"?

:shrug:

Last edited:
i havent read all 8 pages so i dont really know what direction this thread has taken, but i definitely noticed something off with the vocals during cobl. it wasnt bonos fault, it was a production issue, but it seemed to get better after that so it wasnt really a huge deal.

Re: Re: Re: You have to be deaf to think Bono's voice sounded good night 1

The OOTS said:

Why can't people make some constructive criticism without somebody saying "sell your tickets then"?

:shrug:
because people are just going on about the same thing, not listening to our argument about it being the opening night, and bono needing to warm his voice up for the rest of the tour, rather than just going 100% first night and totally fucking it up, he sounded good to me, plus your other post about starting reharsals earlier, have people suddenly forgot in there selfishness that someone from edges family could still be very ill?

funny how people forget, we should be greatful they are touring at all

I havent heard any constructive critisism yet....lets compaire this tour to other tours opening nights oh wait....id say 98 percent of you havent heard those openers.

This was the bands best opening night concert on tour ever, its not even a contest.

Back
Top Bottom