It pains me to say this but.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

air_man

Babyface
As a massive long term fan of u2, I gotta say I am scratching my head after seeing them in concert last week in Brisbane Australia.

I understand the band have had an extended break from the Vertigo tour, but last weeks performance was disappointing to say the least.

Having last seen them on their popmart tour I could not wait to see "the worlds greatest band" sell their wares by way of the Vertigo tour. Sure I went with high hopes, but this is U2 we are talking about right????

From the moment the band walked on the stage, Bono's voice was sub standard, he found it incredibly difficult to hit the higher notes and at points to even stay on tune.

Throughout several songs the band made some serious blunders. Walk On, was basically butchered until they reigned it back in, well into the second verse. Bono made little attempt to walk out into the heart and merely hovered around the band lacking much of his characteristic charisma and showmanship.

To be short they looked tired, dis-interested and like they'd much rather be somewhere else.

Granted there was so really high points of the concert. Some songs were brilliant like the amazingly high note Bono hit and held in SYCMIOYO and Kite. Not to mention the incredible operatic outburst in Miss Sarajevo. But for the most part I would say it was 50 50...definatley not a statistic I'd expect from U2.

What has happened to my beloved u2? I hate to reduce this down to a financial arguement but paying $200 AU ($152.00 USD) a ticket (and I had two), I seriously don't think (and I've thought about this over the past week) that I got my money's worth.

To put it simply, I know that bands and muso's have bad days. But ultimatley if things are not right to go don't do it half baked. Especially considering the last time the band was in Australia was over eight years ago.

Bono - it's time to stop telling us how "u2 is the greatest band in the world" it's time to prove it again, cause there are others clawing for that title...and I don't wanna see anyone take that from my favourite band!

Would love to hear from anyone who also went to the Brisbane concert and get their thoughts.

air_man

Last edited:
check U2tours.com or axvers site, think you will see alot of people that disagree wiyh your review, and many on here have also commented that it was a good show, with bono's voice being the best it has for years

heres some other reviews:

Review by: Andrew T

Someone once said that less is more and more is less. And as I walked home pondering the show, I realised that I was indeed truly satisfied having seen only my 2nd U2 show and if I didn't see another, I wouldn't be really upset. After all, my dream of getting into the 'elipse' had been satisifed, having spent since 9am lining up with my good mate GT. My only regret was that my wife and brother couldn't join us but my ethical conscience couldn't have them push in when they finally arrived late afternoon.

To the show...fantastic! The setlist was excellent and it really looked as though the band was well rehearsed, refreshed and enjoying playing live again. Bono sounded very good, Edge's passion (I'd never been that close) was riveting to watch and Adam's joyous poise was something to behold.

Hearing Dallas set up Edge's guitars was amazing as well - an audio montage of 'Edge's Greatest Moments.' Kanye was surprisingly enjoyable and very humble.

Highlights for me were Kite (favourite song on ATYCLB) and the Zoo / Fly encore. Also seeing the band play up close for the first time, gave glimpses of those moments where its as if they are just 4 guys in a room playing together - the interaction: Larry counting them in after the bridge in Elevation, Adam laughing at Bono's forgetfulness and Larry's stoic dignity intertwined with his aggressive playing style - brilliant! The opening bars of Blinding Lights
gave the senses maximum stimulation which lasted most of the night.

Its a shame that some corporates who were let in to the elipse thought that because they had a green band on their wrist or because they were short and female, somehow were entitled to push and shove to get in front of those who had lined up for 8+ hours. But I won't tarnish all corporates with that attitude as there were others who were polite and grateful.

Bring on Sydney, I'll be sitting in the stands for a different perspective.

Truly, a spiritual, emotional and challenging experience!
....................................................................................................
Review by: liz

Well after 8 months wait it was all worth it!!!!!! I wish I had arrived earlier, we pretty much just missed getting into the very front section which would have been absolutely awesome but we were at the next barrier so we still had a great spot. As my first U2 concert I have no comparisons to make but IT WAS AWESOME!!!!! I wish they had played 2 nights in Brisbane so I could have gone again!!!!!!!!!!How lucky were we to see 'The Saints...' played live! And I was not expecting Miss Sarejevo at all - bonus! The rain stayed away and the moon came out (eventually - good one Bono!) so thanks Edge, Adam, Larry and Bono, just don't wait too long to come back!!!!!
......................................................................................................
Review by: Rowan Clark

It's been a long wait. My father introduced me to U2 via the 'Under a blood red sky' video when I was seven, and I was hooked. That was in 1991. Fast forward 15 years, and I finally get to see the real thing. What an amazing show! The set was awesome, I thought Sunday Bloody Sunday went through the roof. Walk On was a wicked surprise, and Yaweh was great in the middle of the first set. The crowd were totally amped as soon as Larry started the Drum groove. Can't wait to catch the two Auckland shows, if they are reading this maybe they might like to consider bringing back Electric Co or Please, or Original of the Species. But really, they can't do anything wrong... :)

Yeah always good to read through other people's experience of the same concert.

I think maybe some of the sound issues could be attributed to the mixing. But having seen the band before I just don't think they were at their top form as I know they can be.

air_man said:
Yeah always good to read through other people's experience of the same concert.

I think maybe some of the sound issues could be attributed to the mixing. But having seen the band before I just don't think they were at their top form as I know they can be.
some people have said they were slightly rusty, but they also said that added to the atmosphere,

just sorry you had such a bad experience, anymore shows left for you this tour?

also i think this should be moved to tour forum?

I listened over the phone when Bono perfrormed Miss Sarajevo, hitting some really high notes, and he sounded pretty good I think! :eyebrow:

I find it amusing that some get so fired up over opinion. That's all it is by the way folks...an opinion. Let's not reduce this discussion to a tirade of "your post is bullshit" remarks.....

Ultimatley from where I was, U2 were NOT on their top form that night. Oh yeah they were good, but no where near as good as they can be. It's nothing to take personally, it's just a little disappointing.

And I'm not alone, another long time fan on U2log.com suggested, the concert in Sydney was "rusty". However the following night the show was described as one of their best.
I am sure they are in full swing now they're touring the rest of the country, and would love to have the chance to see them again, but not everyone's made o' money.....

Last edited:
So is it really all about the money?? Did you assign your satisfaction to your ticket price?? The hairs on your arm didn't stand on end...that sucks for you then.

Thanks for your honest review of your experience.

IMO, when we expect perfection and the greatest aren't we always disappointed??

No,

It's not all about the money at all. But $400 is a lot of cash for a concert and you'd like to think you're getting the best out of a performance. Whether that be from the band or from the people mixing the sound.

As for the hairs on my arm standing on end? Of course they did, it's impossible not to see this band and for them to not.

I guess I was expecting a similar experience to what the crowd got at the Elevation and Live At Slane DVD's and anything short of that was always going to be a let down.

Regardless, this band has written such amazing, beautiful, meaning music and I'll always be grateful to them for that.

The rest of my family will see them this weekend, so I'll get a full scale run-down of what I'm sure will be U2 hitting their strides....

drumkeeran said:
So is it really all about the money?? Did you assign your satisfaction to your ticket price?? The hairs on your arm didn't stand on end...that sucks for you then.

Well...if you pay for a Mercedes you expect it to perform like a Mercedes, not like a Chevy. I think that was his point about the cost of the tickets. The other money point I read was that he was disappointed that he couldn't afford to go to another show further along in the tour where they might have worked out the jitters and kinks.

Unfortunately it does seem that the first show or couple of shows of a tour for any band are a bit on the shaky side. I do think it takes a while for even the most seasoned and rehearsed bands to really get into the groove.

Yeah, unfortunately it usually takes U2 a few shows to get into the groove, so the people at the first couple shows get a bit of a substandard performance. Bono doesn't like to rehearse and says he likes to work things out in the first few shows (which is kind of BS for the fans at these shows).

I saw U2 at opening night in San Diego and while it was still a great show, there were lots of goof ups. When I saw them later on the first leg it was like a night and day difference.

A rusty U2 still puts on a great show, but a well oiled U2 takes it to another level.

air_man said:

From the moment the band walked on the stage, Bono's voice was sub standard, he found it incredibly difficult to hit the higher notes and at points to even stay on tune.

To be short they looked tired, dis-interested and like they'd much rather be somewhere else.

Would love to hear from anyone who also went to the Brisbane concert and get their thoughts.

air_man

Hey mate... I have to (respectfully) disagree.
It was my fifth U2 gig in ten years. I have never heard Bono sound so good in person, and if you include bootlegs, I haven't heard him sound this good since ZooTV. Nor have I ever been to a U2 show where the band seemed to be having quite so much fun. You mentioned the Slane DVD in another post, and even on the only Brisbane recording which is currently available, made through a mobile phone, Bono sounds far more powerful than he did at the Slane shows. I've never bothered to track down boots of the other shows I've been to because the quality of the performances didn't strike me, even in the exhilarated moments after the show, as being that unique. But I'd rather listen to the crappy Brissy recording a hundred times than watch Slane once - and I love Slane.
I don't mind in the least your expressing your opinion or anything like that - I just couldn't disagree more. This show renewed my faith in U2 as a live band, rather than shaking it.
If you can get ahold of the boot (email me if you can't), check out Beautiful Day, SYCMIOYO, and Angel of Harlem for what I mean about Bono's voice - and then check out the other songs, too. The man has been gifted with the most extraordinary set of vocal chords ever bestowed on a rock singer, and for a while there I was afraid he'd used them up. Brisbane proved me wrong. Cheers :)

Interesting thread, let's not turn it into a slanging match.

I've been in touch with some mates who went to both Brisbane and Sydney, and their opinions of the gigs differ wildly. For instance, one friend said that at Sydney 3 he couldn't hear the vocals for the first 5 songs, while another friend said that it was fantastic. I think that where you are situated makes a huge difference to the overall experience, and this is even more amplified in stadiums than arenas. A bad stadium gig can be extremely depressing!

I've always found that my general mood, who i'm with, level of expectation, what the people around me are like, etc, etc, makes a huge difference to the whole experience. Even the most transcendental band have a huge number of factors that they can't control. You could be at the best gig in the world ever, but if your girlfriends in a bad mood or you're surrounded my drunk morons, it probably won't feel like it.

chrissybaby said:

I've always found that my general mood, who i'm with, level of expectation, what the people around me are like, etc, etc, makes a huge difference to the whole experience. Even the most transcendental band have a huge number of factors that they can't control.

Amen!!!

Give the man a break, I have come out of concerts where I don't think I got my money worth, he gave good reason for feeling that way.

Maybe some of you ares so damn excited of seeing U2 that you are a bit blinded to some of you Bono's voice is in top form to others it's not

He just gave his opinion and didn't come out ranting in a stupid way "U2 sucks" "they should quit" or some crap like that

I agree that the original poster was stating a disappointed opinion about a given show...not the band in general and that it remains his favorite band. I wasn't there. But the U2 community is an intelligent one that can handle positive and negative reviews

Chizip said:
i like how this thread got moved twice :drool:

the double move, very rare

Maybe air_man should get a prize or something. :)

Where did it get moved from the first time?

indra said:

Maybe air_man should get a prize or something. :)

Where did it get moved from the first time?

EYKIW -> U2 Show Reviews -> Fan Experiences and Tour Photos

this threads been on quite a journey

:applaud: Glad you got "the hairs standing on end" experience. I'd hate to think that U2 didn't give a fan even that. But then I get that feeling watching the sometimes flat DVDs.

I agree that air-man deserves a prize for the double move...VERY COOL!!

(amazing what will amuse us here in the blue craic!)

air_man said:
Bono made little attempt to walk out into the heart and merely hovered around the band lacking much of his characteristic charisma and showmanship.

What has happened to my beloved u2? I hate to reduce this down to a financial arguement but paying $200 AU ($152.00 USD) a ticket (and I had two), I seriously don't think (and I've thought about this over the past week) that I got my money's worth.

air_man

Would have to disagree with your thoughts on the Brisbane concert, except Bono's not venturing out onto the 'arms' much. Also, I've found in the past that it's hard to get your money's worth when you're in the seating section, as there is more atmosphere in the GA section, which would have cost you half as much, I'd be interesting in hearing whether you thought the concert was worth $100?

bazza said:
twas a GREAT SHOW!!!!!

TRUE DAT!!!

My thoughts are if you want a 'perfect' concert, buy the DVD, where they edit the best parts from many concerts, where nothing goes wrong!!!

Back
Top Bottom