I was the guy with the phone @ MSG #2 10/8/05 - FACTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, forget all the time he has spent meeting fans outside the venues, signing autographs and posing for pictures. He lost his temper and misread a situation this time, therefore, HE MUST PAY! :mad:

:|

I don't think Chris's reason for starting this thread was to organize a protest. He just wanted to tell his side of the story and he seems more okay with what happened then some of the people here.

Bono has more responsibility to be a nice guy than almost anyone. He puts on these concerts in an attempt to get people to come together as one and he is the figurehead for a huge cheritable organization. I'm sorry, but when Bono comes off as a jerk it's FAR less excusable than if say... one of us were to get angry.

Plus the tickets are ridiculously priced. He should be thanking the guy for paying for his mansion, not yelling at him.

Only when it's convenient for Bono.

I was there. Bono yelled, then Bono apologized. End of story. To the original poster, don't take this to heart. You don't owe anybody an explanation, but thanks for it anyway.

I hear Springsteen yells at fans, using the F word without apologies during his acoustic shows if people are talking or singing along.

I can understand Bono getting mad sometimes but over a guy holding a cell phone is babyish. That's just lame.

on december 8, 1984, i remember when bono stopped the show in detroit to break up a fight; how could i forget? but he can't really say "there'll be no phoning at a U2 concert" like he said "there'll be no fighting at a U2 concert."

but a cell phone is a "dangerous little device" that bono himself has praised and transformed into the virtual protest placard and cigarette lighter of the 2005 concert year!

i got yelled at by jello biafra and publicly embarrassed when my phone rang during one of his 4 hour lectures. it was horrible!!

props to the peops in this chat; and it's a good thing he apologized. He's raw, he's human, he's a flawed and angry insecure brat, and well, we love him.

throwing the phone into his face would have been showbiz classic history ! Although you would have gotten 'roughed up' no doubt.

For example, if Bono threw the phone in your face it would be much harder for you to get him in trouble than it would for him to get you in trouble if you did it to him!

I think it would of been better if bono just jumped into the crowd
and attacked the guy, axle rose style!:wink:

That's strange. I mean, I used my phone a couple of times to let someone back home listen to a song during the last show I was at and I was holding it up right in front of Bono and he didn't seem to care. :huh: Wasn't there so I really don't understand the context and what was going through B's head. At least he was man enough to apologize and it is a funny story to tell--how many here can say Bono yelled at them?!

It sounds like Bono had a serious misread of the situation. Maybe he was extra tense this night, for some reason? Just looking in from afar, it seems like things are tense there in NYC, with more threats of viloence, etc. I've also been thinking lately about the whole John Lennon thing, and how a crazed fan could just as easily get to Bono if they wanted to...god forbid.

But, I guess I'm just making excuses...he is human...and it's this same humanness that we all admire him for when things are clicking.

I'm glad he apologized to you...that's the key.

I was at the show....on the outside of the ellipse...I thought Bono was saying his comments to be funny.....all in all a funny highlight!

Yeah I was right there too

Jesus Christ whats wrong with you people?

I thought it was a great moment - he wasnt picking on you in particular, he was using you as part of the show

'stop what your doing and listen to what Im saying'

Remember this:

"shut up - stop clapping, its U2, we're not the Beatles"

99% of the people posting in response weren't even there.

He made a joke about the whole thing, the entire stadium laughed and hooted at it...

Hey B - you can use me for your joke any ol time! ;)

:D

Hey Guys,

We don't have to keep going with this. I've done things like this in my life which I have regretted (not on such a large scale!! but then again, I am not a star) and I have been forgiven. And I am so thankful for this forgiveness. Because without it, I would be a very alone and depressed person! If Bono is out there, and he does feel bad, I forgive him.

Also, just to clear it up with everyone, I will say one last time I never made a call. And the phone was never to my ear. However, I am tall and I was right in front of him for most of the show, so maybe he just got sick of looking at it. Whatever the reason, I am willing to let it go.. I think he is.. and I hope we all can.

Let me finish by saying; normally I would be a little more pissed with this type of situation. But when I look at the situation as a whole, it is hard to be pissed at him. I think when he meets his maker..and if they list all his sins vs. all his good deeds, the good deeds will probably outweigh his sins by 10000 times : ) when judging a situation/person, I try to take everything into account.. not just a small, isolated incident, at a very small, isolated point in time; equivalent to a spit in the ocean (when you look at the big picture.)

With all that said, I would still never want to be on his sh*t list ; )

Take care guys!
-Chris (any girls want a good 31yo boy from CT who is still a U2 fan and has done a few good deeds?? drop me a line ; )

My email is: astralzzzz@yahoo.com (who knows..maybe I can get a date out of this!! : )

:up: Chris. I enjoyed hearing his story. I don't like those who only believe what they hear, I prefer the truth. I am sure Bono was only joking....he would not harrass a fan for laughs or for the helluv it. Thanks for posting Chris. I'm only sorry Bono didn't use your phone to take a few pics!

astralzzzz said:
(any girls want a good 31yo boy from CT who is still a U2 fan and has done a few good deeds?? drop me a line ; )

My email is: astralzzzz@yahoo.com (who knows..maybe I can get a date out of this!! : )

There are several couples who met on this board...some even got/are getting married! Better watch what you wish for.... :wink: (j/k they seem like sweet couples :) )

Outrageous. :tsk:

I'm so sorry you had to experience that, astralzzzz. :hug:

And some actually think this man deserves a Nobel Peace prize.

sounds like "You put down your fucking phone. You're at a concert, alright?"

Ya! thats what he says.

Man oh man.............:sad:

Well look at this anyone remember the Slane Dvd? During one of the songs someone throws water at him. He points him out and tells him to F Off.

:mad:

And at Elevation Hamilton Bono gets pissed, someone is pointing one of those laser pointers at him.

maybe hes been away from his wife for too long - taking his frustrations out on innocent fans, Gotta love the guy though:)

it sounded to me like this was just part of the song. when watching the short video clip someone made of it, its said in the tune of the song.

however, i didnt hear the other part.. like when he supposedly imitates a person on a phone "hello mom, i wont be home for dinner.." etc? anyone have that part?

Thanks to atralzzzz for posting this - hope you and your phone is OK :wink:

What I would also like to say here, is:

Have you people started to realize why all Bono's Nobel Peace Prize nominations are such a big load of bullshit?

Travelling around the world shaking hands with political figures, wearing purple sun glasses, the big world saver/peace maker always being ready for the photo shoot, isn't worth a dime if you cannot even treat your own heavily paying fans decently at your own shows. Aggresively throwing people's cell phones in their face isn't going to earn you any Nobel Peace Prize, Bono. You are 45 now. Time to grow up?

Back
Top Bottom