I was the guy with the phone @ MSG #2 10/8/05 - FACTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would have flipped him off and told him 2 F**k off.... U handled that a lot better than I ever could have. Cheers.

Bono could've jumped off stage and kicked your ass!

Imagine that he did kick your ass!
Now THAT would've been aggresive!
He only got pissed at you - take it on the chin.

Bono is only a human being you know - don't put him on a pedestal.

To quote Mike Tyson (yeh, a convicted rapist if you believe the judgement) who once said "I don't look up to anybody because then there's nobody looking down on me".

I'll tell you something though, if Bono DID kick someone's ass then I'd imagine that 'fan' would sue the band for MILLIONS.

Hmmm...where's that laser pen?

;)

The Disciple said:
I would have flipped him off and told him 2 F**k off.... U handled that a lot better than I ever could have. Cheers.

I dont know wether to laugh or not at this incident. But i think the most annoying thing probably is that you cant defend yourself..its not as if bono waited around to hear what he had to say for himself...(BTW even if you were making a phonecall this would be a very childish ,overreacting thing to do by Bono i think)

Ps maybe you could have really pissed him off by really being happy and cheering and screaming that you got his attention, would have kinda undermine his intention

I wouldn't worry about it, he did the same thing during SBS in Toronto 2 also, although it was a more general command to the entire audience. I think it's just part of his 'pissed off rebel' persona during that song.

Here's a clip from Toronto where you can here him say 'Put your f'ing cameras down!'

Clip here: http://tinyurl.com/dh5ah

It's odd that Bono would pick this point in the tour to blow up at someone for using their cell phone. It's pretty common for people to call during the show. Geez, my sister tried to give me a call seconds before she got pulled up on stage in Milwaukee, and she'd been calling me throughout the night for certain songs.
Personally, I'd rather Bono have yelled at the people from my section in Chicago on May 9th who kept drifting back to the beer stand at an unholy rate, apparently unware that Streets is actually a pretty good live song . . . . :mad: That would have been completely justified. Probably cheered.

Astralzzzz, write to Principle Management and demand an apology. If this is true, Bono had no right to humiliate you in front of thousands of people. It certainly seems to have upset quite a few fans on this board. I am so sorry for you.

Wow..I just read thru this thread...I am so suprised at Bono:tsk:After you spend your hard earned cash to be at his show he yells at you for talking on the phone?? I am glad he apoligized and you are not bent about it...but I am still a bit disapointed in Bono none the less.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the support and info. And I just want to re-state that I did not make any calls the entire concert (I swear on my 4 year old baby girl..)

The more I think about it, I almost wish I did make a call because, I would not be as disappointed in his response and the negative character impression Bono left on me. Realizing that someone you idolize and respect is not as perfect as you think is a hard pill to swallow (even if you know in the back of your mind it is all an illusion..)

Nevertheless, after sharing my feelings then reading all this feedback I don't feel as bad as I did before about the situation. Again, thank you for your support. You guys are really cool here.

One last question.. My thread was "moved." And now it seems to be making its' way down the thread list, even though this posts is more current than the posts in the subjects above them..?. It does not even show the amount of views or posts anymore. Does anyone know why the good folks at interference did this? Maybe they don't want us to dwell on the negative and move on? I think it still qualifies as a concert discussion. I was just curious.

Irregardless, I hope everyone has a good night.

-Chris

Last edited:
astralzzzz said:

One question.. My thread was "moved." And now it seems to be making its' way down the thread list, even though the posts are more current than the posts in the subjects above them..?. It does not even show the amount of views or posts anymore. Does anyone know why the good folks at interference did this? Maybe they don't want us to dwell on the negative and move on? I was just curious.

It was moved b/c Fan Experiences is more for your type of story than the General Tour forum. When it gets moved and there's still a link in the original forum, it only lists the last person to post before it was moved. Don't worry, it has nothing to do with the content of the posts, there was just a more appropriate sub-forum.

Anyway, I'll be the first to admit I'm obsessed w/ Bono, so I'm kinda confused and pissed at him right now, hehe. I supposed no one is perfect and everyone has their "jerk" moments. I want to get on stage or at least get Bono's attention one of these times.....we should think of something for me to say/do so when/if it happens, I can avenge you, bwahaha!

I think if Bono knew what really happened, he'd be sorry. I think it is a BIG misunderstanding on his part, and if we all look at it that way, that people DO make mistakes, it can be forgotten :)

I am sorry it had to happen to such a big fan like you, Chris, but perhaps it'll just prove that Bono is HUMAN afterall.

Even if you were making a call, his response was totally unjustified. Like others have said, we all pay out the nose for these tickets and if you want to take a picture, make a phone call, you can do it.

:|

:down: for Bono's behavior that night

Thank goodness he apologized, but still.

And :up: to how you handled it. I would've 1) stood there in shock, and/or 2) started crying. :| And I would get over it but it would always taint my image of him.

Either he was having a bad night or sometimes his ego is more fragile than we think.

Is there any way we can get a sign made for someone to hold up tonight referencing this and maybe we could get a reaction?

"Bono, don't break my cell phone.' might do the trick.

Anyone have anyone in line we could call?

And on the flip side, you're in eternal U2 history and lore for unique things that have happened at the hallowed grounds that are MSG. I know some people who would be jealous of your experience.

Look, the whole incident was unfortunate, but this is where things start getting overblown in this forum.

Have none of you ever done something you might have regreted later? Maybe said something to a loved one that you shouldn't have because maybe you were having a bad day? If you make a mistake a work (where you're being paid) do expect to get fired or would you want that mistake to be harped on for weeks on end.

Come on now. Next thing you know people will be starting online petitions, picketing outside the venue with signs. Will this have to be relived now for shows to come. He specifically said "Where is the guy I yelled at" apologized to him in front of everyone.

I'm sorry it happened, guess what, I'm sure Bono is too.

Dulce de Leche said:
"I'm not calling, it's a camera!!!!"

Although does MSG allow cameras? He might be pissed about that too. :|

Bono is a grumpy old man :eek: LOL i thought LArry was the grumpy one

ramblin rose said:

Have none of you ever done something you might have regreted later? Maybe said something to a loved one that you shouldn't have because maybe you were having a bad day?

Of course we all do. And of course he's sorry. But that doesn't change how I would feel if my hero yelled that at me in front of 20K people at a concert I paid good money to attend. :shame:

Oh, the Ubiquitous Cell Phone. Who wouldn't be pissed off by those devices. What technology has given us and how Bono incorporated into his show has come back to bite him. Hey, everyone has a bad day every now and then. He apologized so it no a non issue as far as I'm concerned. The person who had this happen to him will be laughing about this in years to come.

This just goes to show that one should never put Bono up so high on a pedestal that he can't fall off it.

The man is human and must have been having a rough day.

But he should have used a bit more discretion in scolding someone he thought merited it.

Sorry you were on the receiving end of this man's anger - it is an awesome and fearsome thing to witness (thank god it hasn't happened to me but I've heard stories).

Thanks for trying to clear things up. :up:

ramblin rose said:

Have none of you ever done something you might have regreted later? Maybe said something to a loved one that you shouldn't have because maybe you were having a bad day? If you make a mistake a work (where you're being paid) do expect to get fired or would you want that mistake to be harped on for weeks on end.

Yes I have. And when I do something hurtful and stupid I've been called on it too, which is what is happening here also. Bono shouldn't get a free pass for boorish behaviour just because he's Bono. No one's gonna fire him and it hasn't been harped on for weeks (hell, it just happened a few days ago).

If he can be praised for the good things he does he should be able to be criticised for the stupid things he does as well.

i'm sorry chris. :hug:

at least you were still able to enjoy the show. it was probably his egomaniac rock star tendencies popping up again. :tsk: at least he apologized, i guess.

i don't have to worry about bono yelling at me at my show in november, because i'll be too far away for him to see me. hehe

indra said:

Yes I have. And when I do something hurtful and stupid I've been called on it too, which is what is happening here also. Bono shouldn't get a free pass for boorish behaviour just because he's Bono. No one's gonna fire him and it hasn't been harped on for weeks (hell, it just happened a few days ago).

If he can be praised for the good things he does he should be able to be criticised for the stupid things he does as well.

There's a difference between being called on it and starting to talk about taking signs to the shows or having other fans saying things to him about it. If the fan who this happened to wanted to say something then fine, but this didn't happen to any of us.

Looks like some people who try to change the world are really trying to change the world within themselves. Hey, wait, that sounds like an old lyric...Bono himself has admitted he has a temper and is not necessarily the turn-the-other-cheek kind of person to which he aspires. Here we have yet another example of that. Anyone remember Andy Dick once telling Conan that Bono threw a drink at him when he thought Andy was taking the piss by asking "so that song 'running to stand still' what was that about ? your wife or something like that ?"
Then he allegedly came back and apologized to him.
Big baby. But then again, he is one of the few rock stars who would apologize publicly, and one of the only rock stars who would come out and talk to fans waiting in line. Complex creature, this Bono.

Last edited:
Awww thats terrible i'm sorry this happened to you :(

If Bono ever scolded me i would probably just end up crying...:sad:
And be angry at Bono :ohmy: which i never have been...but always a first time :wink:

Anyways like people have said the man is only human maybe he was having an off day or something...i'm sure he regrets it now.

U2dork said:
Geez. I'm very sorry this happened to you. I'd probably do a combination of what Rose and Ouizy said - first burst into tears, then throw the phone at him and finally, I'd probably make an awful comment about his hair :wink:.
If it helps, try to keep in mind that Bono has a history of overreacting sometimes. One classic example often discussed here is the Save the Yuppie free concert in San Francisco where he went off on a guy for holding a sign that said SFU2, forgetting he was in San Francisco and thinking the SF stood for Sinn Fein.

Yes, look at it this way, at least you and San Francisco have something in common now :wink:.

Seriously, that sucks that that happened to you Chris. You seem like a really nice guy and I'm glad you posted an explanation :up:. I'm glad you got an apology too.

ramblin rose said:
Look, the whole incident was unfortunate, but this is where things start getting overblown in this forum.

Come on now. Next thing you know people will be starting online petitions, picketing outside the venue with signs. Will this have to be relived now for shows to come. He specifically said "Where is the guy I yelled at" apologized to him in front of everyone.

:yes:

He probably feels like a big idiot. Like I did after posting in the video thread about this before I read this thread :reject:.

Sounds like Bono was being a prick. I don't care if he was talking on the phone. If he wants to let him. It's nothing to get all pissy about.

Back
Top Bottom