HAWAII: Lining Up Two Days Early

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lila64 said:
Well I know some people who had both GA & seats for the show, and once they heard what was going down with the camping/Thursday/Friday crap, they opted out for enjoying Hawaii and sitting in their seats.

I was one of those people. I decided to use my GA to get in earlier, then went to the merchandise stand which was still relatively manageable, to get a couple of shirts for some people, then went to my section to enjoy the show.

I agree that venue security was a sham. Basically, there were no seats down in the front of my section either. I was in Section M 6th row and it was just a sea of people once Pearl Jam started. The people who didn't want to stand in the aisles, just jumped over the fence onto GA at will, with police and security standing right there. No one cared. The GA section in front of me was absolutely packed.

They apparently only let 2000 regular GA people into the front enclosure and it was half empty at the beginning, then sometime towards the middle of PJ it looks like the corporate ticket holders with wristbands and Agenda's (gifts) (many went down my "aisle") , started coming down to make there way into the inner enclosure, that must have been who they were saving the other 1000-1500 spots for.

I was surrounded by PJ fans and I must say they were a fun bunch.

Chizip said:

My understanding is the number system allows you to leave to leave for short periods of time to go to the bathroom or get some food or whatever without worrying about losing your spot in line. If you allow everybody to just leave and come back it just opens up to the system to all kinds of abuse.

You say you're cool with someone showing up a couple days aheead of time and getting a number and leaving until show time. Well what happens when people start showing up 3 days ahead of time, a week, a month and say they have a number. Where does the line get drawn? And what would stop the people in charge of the line giving out good numbers to their friends who never even showed up until the show anyway? And why would the people at the very beginning of the line have to stay there and give out numbers while everybody else was allowed to leave and come back? That's not very fair to them.

Once you line up, you should be in line. That's what a line is. The number system is just there to help keep things more organized and allow people to leave for a short period of time to take care of things. People who get numbers and leave for an extended period of time while others wait all day are abusing the system.

:up:

4U2Play said: I have no problem with fans who show up 48 hours in advance of a gig, write their names in the book, slip on a wristband, then return later to line up a couple of hours before the gates open up

Why even have a line then? How is that fair to the people who have lined up all day? If you only want to line up a couple hours before then do so. I think they should stop letting people line up at all. A few hours before a show and thats it. I think once your in line you don't go any where except to the bathroom.

I really like the idea you said of the random wrist band. Everyone gets one and they draw a number and the line starts from that number. They did this here when Popmart tickets went on sale. In the old days when you waited in line to buy tickets.

I'm so glad I had seats. The whole GA thing is just too much stress for something that's supposed to be FUN, especially in a place like Hawaii. I had a great time in my section- I hardly sat in my seat at all, the people in my section were seriously the BEST people I have ever shared a section with at any show as they were ALL singing, dancing, and not running back and forth to the beer vendor or the bathroom all night long (thank you for the $9 beers and the 2 or 3 ladies rooms, Aloha Stadium!), and I got to share my first show with someone who has become very special to me since the night I realized how special he was becoming.

When we were told of people trying to line up on Thursday afternoon, I couldn't have been happier that I had an actual, assigned seat where I could enjoy the music, if not the individual beads of sweat running down Bono's face.

I have had GREAT GA experiences. I have camped out for a numbered wristband in Boston. I have run across highways outside Detroit to get the best spot possible. I have been moved into the heart from a marginally crappy seat. I scanned into the elipse when I had my worst number in line, so I have nothing to complain about...but GA is stressful and tiring, and that was not how I wanted my Hawaii experience to be.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this post. I feel bad that people had bad experiences, but I also feel like it doesn't have to be that way, and the fans kind of bring it on themselves.

Schmeg said:
The whole GA thing is just too much stress for something that's supposed to be FUN, especially in a place like Hawaii.
True. My mom described it as "combat concert-going."

mads said:

True. My mom described it as "combat concert-going."

:lol:

After reading through this thread, now I remembered why I was hesitant to do GA at all this tour. I wasn't in Hawaii, but I have to say It's really sad you guys had to deal with all that drama! I know I would've gone apeshit! I agree 100% with schmeg: The whole GA thing is just too much stress for something that's supposed to be FUN, especially in a place like Hawaii. Nevertheless, I hope everyone had a fabulous time. I know I can't wait for the next tour and the chance to meet many more people. All the fans I've met so far have been great and I look forward to many more adventures!

I wasn't in Hawaii so cannot speak to the line drama that happened there but, from personal experience at several shows, I do know of several people who post here that did exactly what the "Flagship" folks are being accused of.

The whole thing is not rocket science. If you write your name down and take a number, the expectation is that you are going to spend most of the time in line. If you need to leave for an hour to grab food or a quick shower before the venue lets you in, no one will complain. If you write your name down, take a number and drop off your sleeping bag, only to come back to retrieve it at 5pm and get back in line, don't be surprised or pissed off when someone calls you out.

If you prefer not to camp out and spend the day sightseeing or sleeping off a hangover in your hotel room, then show up at 5pm and accept the spot you get. Scamming other fans for a spot on the rail is bad karma and not what this band is all about.

I did GA for Hawaii and there was indeed a list on Thursday night with 17 people on it who were friends...and not in line. We were told to come back in the morning, which we did. Along with most of the other GA fans, we waited out on the sidewalk all day Friday, leaving only to get coffee and food down the street. When they moved us on to the venue property, number 9 in line showed up for the first time since signing the list. I couldn't fucking believe it. All her friends allowed her to join the line, and they all knew she'd been on the beach all day. She got called out in line by a bunch of people but of course wasn't going to leave. I

There were also people who didn't get in line all day Friday who were on the list, and they all went on the dinner cruise and showed up in line AFTER that (even though they'd been on the list since Thursday). Not cool, given that other people sucked it up and waited.

Some people in my group of friends did leave to take a shower at 6:30 in the morning on Saturday--we took turns going to the hotel to change and come back. So yeah, I was clean for the show. There's enough B.O. among GAers--so let's not hold cleanliness against anyone :wink:

The show was fabulous, and it was awesome to get to meet some people from here in person, at last. But the politics of the GA don't ever seem to improve. :tsk:

Last edited:
I find it funny that Boston keeps getting mentioned here as a site that the "Flagship" could take advantage of...The Garden's GA line plan is the most fail-proof plan of the them all....I wish all venues did this program. You may camp out, but at 8:00 am - you had your arena-security provided number, and another nine hours of freedom until the next line-up.

I only went to the first Boston show in December. When we left the arena (after the third encore), a few of my friends from Interference ran for their spots in line for the second show - they acquired numbers AHEAD of the folks from the "Flagship" for that show. No goofy business from the flagship people then. :shrug:

Boston GA is the ONLY way to go! :D

I had seats as good as Schmeg's - and I am very happy for it!

Schmeg said:
I feel bad that people had bad experiences, but I also feel like it doesn't have to be that way, and the fans kind of bring it on themselves.

:up:

GA is a great experience, but doing all the camping out/lining up crap is after all an individual choice. Noone is holding a gun to anyone's head to do so. I had GA here in Australia and I turned up to the gigs in the late afternoon. So I didn't get close enough to see up Bono's nostrils! I still had a great time! :D

(Actually with these monster screens U2 have, I'm surprised more people don't have epileptic fits :no: )

ruffian said:
4U2Play, you were right next to #9 in line--why did you let her come so late to the GA when you clearly waited in line all day?

Huh?

Sorry, you must have me confused with someone else. Maybe I have a double who is trying to sully my already tarnished name.

I wish I was #9 in line, but I was actually somewhere in the 1200s, near the front of Pen 3. I showed up on Saturday morning at 7am and ended up standing between the two B-stages during the show, which turned out to be a bad decision.

Last edited:
oh, i must have you confused--i thought we met and you were near me in line when all the stuff went down with #9 waltzing in so late. wrong guy :slant: but i wasn't saying YOU were #9...sorry for the mix up.

"plotted their way onto stage"???
nobody plots their way on to stage, thats ridiculous and you're stupid for thinking it's possible. "

This isn't a thread about Boston, so I won't even go there. Someone asked about the flagship, and who they are, so I gave my opinion. Of course no one can truly 'plot' their way on stage, but don't tell me you just hung your flags on the front rail out of the goodness of your heart, of course the plan was to get up there. My opinion is also based on the behavior of some of the 'flagshippers' at the hotel before the second boston show.

"your "sense of entitlement" comment is bollocks, i and all the other flagshippers who queued in Boston worked damn hard and got damn cold for our spots in line. entitlement my arse"

i think you are referring to another poster, I did not use the word 'entitlement'. While we are on that subject though, it's clear there are many fans out there who do have a sense of entitlement, and feel the need to be at the front of every single GA line. The band really needs to intervene and set up a true lottery for the next tour; that's the only fair way. This camping out for days crap has to stop.

Last edited:
1. The line system is flawed and letting people take charge on their own is a HORRIBLE idea. its like Lord of the Flies at some shows.

2. The band or venue should have one employee handing out NUMBERED bracelets.
This keeps people from spending days on end sleeping on asphalt.
You come back at assigned time before the show - line up and enter. If you are number 16 and you aren't there at assigned time - 17 goes in and you are screwed.
Make it like airline boarding and call 1-10 10 -20 20 to 30 etc.

3. The crowds have been dead lately bc we are exhausted and physically spent from waiting and dealing with eachother.

4. Despit all of the stories on here I have something amazing to share.
A woman in line recieved a phone call Sat morn. her mother passed away back in the mainland.
She needed money to change her flight.
One of the fans took up a collection ad raised a SIGNIFICANT amount of cash in a matter of moments.
It was a really nice moment. I hope that woman is ok. I can't imagine dealing with horrible news on a day I was so looking forward to.

5. As hectic and crazy as it all was, U2 washjes all the misery away.

Iskra said:
2. The band or venue should have one employee handing out NUMBERED bracelets.
This keeps people from spending days on end sleeping on asphalt.
You come back at assigned time before the show - line up and enter. If you are number 16 and you aren't there at assigned time - 17 goes in and you are screwed.
Make it like airline boarding and call 1-10 10 -20 20 to 30 etc.
But if the numbered bracelets aren't random, you'll have the same situation with people camping out for days to be first in line for those. The only way to really stop the camping for days is to either due a random lottery for all spots in line or to go back to reserved seating on the floor.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty odd that I ran into some of those EARLY campers (#100-ish camping since Thurs, so they said), at the pool at the Outrigger on FRIDAY afternoon.

and the whole late entry VIP's? what a friggin scandal. we were somewhere around 800 and got in (arrived at 6-ish Sat.), and people maybe 400 spots behind us did not get in. we're all wondering, why is the ellipse only half full? now we know.

now add in the 4 or 5 obnoxious a-holes one row in front of us on Edge's b-stage rail that were so intent on protecting their space they had no problem elbowing out my 10 and 13 yr old kids who were just trying to get a glimpse of the stage all the while allowing their late coming friends rail access and you really start to question what the hell is wrong with these so-called fans. you know who you are mr. all in red 50 yr old guy and ms. white baseball hat biatch. we're telling our kids, rise above, it'll all work out, and ms. biatch whips around and says "what do mean by that!!?? It'll all work out? what do you mean by THAT!!?? so my wife says, uh, it means we're going to have a great show regardless, that it doesn't have to ruin their day. defensive much?

Last edited:
Iskra said:
4. Despit all of the stories on here I have something amazing to share.
A woman in line recieved a phone call Sat morn. her mother passed away back in the mainland.
She needed money to change her flight.
One of the fans took up a collection ad raised a SIGNIFICANT amount of cash in a matter of moments.
It was a really nice moment. I hope that woman is ok. I can't imagine dealing with horrible news on a day I was so looking forward to.

Oh how awful :(

atikicat said:

But if the numbered bracelets aren't random, you'll have the same situation with people camping out for days to be first in line for those. The only way to really stop the camping for days is to either due a random lottery for all spots in line or to go back to reserved seating on the floor.

That's the thing, even if the venue gives bracelets, people will line-up to get those if it's not random. It was like that in the first Boston shows (maybe later on too), and we ended up having to show-up even earlier than usual in the morning to get a decent spot. That being said after that we could leave for the whole day which was nice, but still that doesn't solve the lining up and fan numbering system problem.

I completely disagree with seats on the floor, GA is THE way to go on the floor, even with all the problems.

So it's either there is a real lottery (as opposed to the mixed crap system enforced on this tour), but with bracelets only available up to a certain number (so there is at least a minimum of reward for people willing to show up a few hours before the show), OR it's first come first serve, but with a numbering system and lining-up rule enforced by a U2 or venue staff, not fans. I think U2 could afford to pay one or two people for the whole day to do that.

acrobat_baby said:

This isn't a thread about Boston, so I won't even go there. Someone asked about the flagship, and who they are, so I gave my opinion. Of course no one can truly 'plot' their way on stage, but don't tell me you just hung your flags on the front rail out of the goodness of your heart, of course the plan was to get up there. My opinion is also based on the behavior of some of the 'flagshippers' at the hotel before the second boston show.

i think you are referring to another poster, I did not use the word 'entitlement'. While we are on that subject though, it's clear there are many fans out there who do have a sense of entitlement, and feel the need to be at the front of every single GA line. The band really needs to intervene and set up a true lottery for the next tour; that's the only fair way. This camping out for days crap has to stop.

firstly, despite what you may think about the flags, it wasn't a ploy to get us on stage.
to be very long winded about it, what the flags were about was showing the band the effect they have on fans like us - we all met at various stages because of a shared love of U2 and
we think its kinda cool that something like that can bring people from all over the world together in one place like that.
i count the flagshippers as very good friends (and one very lovely boyfriend!) and that would never have been the case if i weren't a u2 fan, i would probably never know these people.

so really we were just trying to show the diversity in this little group of friends that the band had created and hoping to represent that to them.
and yes, that might be a long stretch to get a message like that across with just flags, but they weren't any old flags, they were OUR flags and the idea was U2 look down and see a South African next to an Englishman next to an Argentinian next to and Irishman having the time of their lives and hopefully get some scope of what they've created, because its something I am/we are very very grateful for.

so there you have it, and yes we were probably hoping for some sort of response, something that indicated that they understood it or saw it at least - we all went mental near the beginning of the song when we could see Bono scanning down the line and mouthed "wow" - but that was the best we would have dared hope for.

To honestly think that we, or anyone else, had any inclination that Bono would go so far as to pull 17 people on stage at once is ridiculous and we would never ever ever have expected it or planned it or plotted it or any of that other rubbish.

that said if you wish to remain cynical about it and think it was all some part of our master plan, then why don't you start having a go at all the "bono, dance with me" "bono its my birthday" girls who hold up signs. in fact, why don't you accuse Mary - who got pulled up on stage that same night - of plotting considering she had a sign about dancing too? (i'm not saying you should of course, mary was lovely and its a cruel jibe to make)
maybe its because your whole argument is flawed and you really just couldn't be bothered to look further than the soft target to take your woes out on :|

and i know it wasn't you who mentioned entitlement - i addressed a lot of people in that post, bfloxng was one of them - but the need to be near the front doesn't even come close to equalling an entitlement to be so.
i have a "need" to be at the front of all gigs i go to, not just u2 (i hate being near the back, in seats etc, i get bored!) but i would never believe i was entitled to be.
its up to me to put the effort in - if i rock up 1 hour before i gig i can't expect to be in front row, but if i want to TRY then i need to put in the hours and the camping and the effort to be in with a shot - not entitlement, just hope, luck and damn hard work.

ruffian said:
I did GA for Hawaii and there was indeed a list on Thursday night with 17 people on it who were friends...and not in line. We were told to come back in the morning, which we did. Along with most of the other GA fans, we waited out on the sidewalk all day Friday, leaving only to get coffee and food down the street. When they moved us on to the venue property, number 9 in line showed up for the first time since signing the list. I couldn't fucking believe it. All her friends allowed her to join the line, and they all knew she'd been on the beach all day. She got called out in line by a bunch of people but of course wasn't going to leave. I

There were also people who didn't get in line all day Friday who were on the list, and they all went on the dinner cruise and showed up in line AFTER that (even though they'd been on the list since Thursday). Not cool, given that other people sucked it up and waited.

who was in charge of the line that allowed this crap to happen? that would have pissed me off big time.

it was a guy and woman--I didn't recognize them from other shows. I think Brad might have started the line but they sort of took over and wrote all their (17 or so) friends down. Again, if their friends had been out eating dinner and coming back at some point, or even coming back in the morning--but to show up Friday night after signing their name on the list Thursday afternoon?

And I don't care about who's on stage or not--it has nothing to do with that or with the flags. It was simply the fact that the group tolerated patently unfair behavior.

Last edited:
SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT

digsy said:

i have a "need" to be at the front of all gigs i go to, not just u2 (i hate being near the back, in seats etc, i get bored!) but i would never believe i was entitled to be.
its up to me to put the effort in - if i rock up 1 hour before i gig i can't expect to be in front row, but if i want to TRY then i need to put in the hours and the camping and the effort to be in with a shot - not entitlement, just hope, luck and damn hard work.

My statement, that there was a sense of entitlement, stems from the fact that barely anyone from that group (again, 6 of 91 people on the list were in line at that point) actually put their time in in line. Instead, they signed a list and left. Total BS. What would have stopped me from taking a time-stamped picture of myself in front of Aloha Stadium the night I arrived (Wednesday), and then coming back (like I did at 3am Thursday) claiming a right to be number 1 in line (because, after all, I was there 1st and left)? What gives ANYONE the right to hold their place in line while they are at the beach, snorkeling, and taking a cruise, while others show up in line, stay in line in the beating Sun, on blacktop, and yet get a number further down the list? Obviously, anyone who would just sign and leave and EXPECT their place to be held--like Boston Michelle (I think that's her name)--has a sense of entitlement. Ditto for all the others in line who allowed it.

And, for the record, I never made any claim about the Boston line. I was in both Boston lines, in the cold, freezing my ass off, all night--with the exception of leaving for showers/meals--and woke up on the cold pavement in the morning to find Barb, Mandy, and others draped over me because they thought my body was giving off heat! (My best GA line bonding experience to date) :wink: The flagship group started that line (to my knowledge), put their time in in line that time, and I don't begrudge them for their flag idea nor for what must have been an incredible result for them (being pulled up). They earned it.

BUT...for representatives of the group to show up in Hawaii seeking to do the same thing--BUT DECIDE THAT ONLY ONE OF THEM NEEDS TO PUT TIME IN IN LINE BECAUSE THEY WERE KEEPING A LIST WHILE THEIR PRIMA-DONNA FRIENDS ARE AT THE BEACH--reeks of impropriety, selfishness, and a SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT (And, I might add, is certainly not in line with ANYTHING the band stands for).

I think that clarifies my position.

Last edited:
I don't knoe if it's been posted here before or not, but here's my two cents. If everyone puts their name on a list and all but a few leave, then there is no line. Since it's run by fans, another group of fans shows up and can start their own line and list. I bet the farm that when the original people come back and find out there spots don't mean anything anymore, they will be upset. That's the main reason for making everyone stay most of the time, not to punish people. That's why it would be good for venue security or band employee to run an official line in the same manner the fans do. That would allow everone a chance to leave.

Just like a couple others have posted, I'm one of those people who wants to be in the front at concerts. It's not just as fun if you go to lots of shows. A complete lottery that determined where you are on the floor would not only convince me to skip the line up, it would convince me to skip many shows. If you are far away, most shows would be the same. Some people won't care, obviously, if there or not. I'm just saying how this would affect what I do and how I spend my time.

Hawaii is one of the major reasons I skipped the last show. I wouldn't want to spend two days waiting in line with so much to do, but I also wouldn't want to be in the back or in a seat.

Re: SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT

bfloxng said:

BUT...for representatives of the group to show up in Hawaii seeking to do the same thing--BUT DECIDE THAT ONLY ONE OF THEM NEEDS TO PUT TIME IN IN LINE BECAUSE THEY WERE KEEPING A LIST WHILE THEIR PRIMA-DONNA FRIENDS ARE AT THE BEACH--reeks of impropriety, selfishness, and a SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT (And, I might add, is certainly not in line with ANYTHING the band stands for).

I'm not a flagship member and don't want to defend anyone who did something like that, because I think that's an arrogant behaviour and utterly ridiculous.

My question is, do you actually know that they are "Flagship" members?
Because not everybody having a flag with him is necessarily a member of this group of friends.

And if they were Flagship members, blame them for doing that, but not the whole group by making these "representatives".

But I also think, if you want to have a good spot, face the "negative" aspects and wait 24 or more hours at the venue instead of spending the day somewhere else.

Re: SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT

bfloxng said:

:bow:

Re: Re: SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT

Vincent Vega said:

I'm not a flagship member and don't want to defend anyone who did something like that, because I think that's an arrogant behaviour and utterly ridiculous.

My question is, do you actually know that they are "Flagship" members?
Because not everybody having a flag with him is necessarily a member of this group of friends.

And if they were Flagship members, blame them for doing that, but not the whole group by making these "representatives".

But I also think, if you want to have a good spot, face the "negative" aspects and wait 24 or more hours at the venue instead of spending the day somewhere else.

The person holding the list was a flagship member, and many on the list (about 10 of the first 30)--but conspicuously absent for 24-36 hours--were also flagship members.

I have no problem facing the so-called "negative" aspects and waiting 1, 2, or 3 days in line if I must to get a good spot. But...I am not going to wait while others "ahead of me" sunbathe, surf, swim and sail. That's just my principal. Next time, I will start my own line (I would have this time if it wasn't Hawaii..I didn't want to declare myself numebr 7 in line and spend two days arguing with numbers 8-91 who arrived ahead of me but left--some for a full day of swimming, beaching, etc.) and the latecomers be damned. Their number will not be honored if they absent themselves for hours and hours or days.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom