MERGED-->March 28, San Diego Sports Arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what's funny is that I'm getting the impression a lot of people are just aching for U2 to fail with this tour.

Personally I thought that this opening night was heads and tails above Elevation opening night in the NCR, but for whatever reason I'm hearing a lot more criticism than there ever was in 2001, and what's funny a lot of it is from people who weren't even there.

It's actually pretty sad. But, at least there still plenty of time to unload your tickets.

KUEFC09U2 said:
ALOT of people liked the solo in bullet, it was so haunting, jeesus i really cant belive how some people are slagging them off after just ONE show, and dont even dare say "oh am not slagging them" because thats what your doing,

Whoa, relax...! Sorry if my opinions for some reason offended you, my friend. The fact of the matter is, though, that I am perfectly entitled (just as is everybody else) to not love every single moment of every single show with every single bit of my heart. For me, it was a flawed opening night; still, nowhere near as flawed as, for instance, the opening night debacle that was PopMart (my favorite tour, incidentally enough).

Fact: Some people loved the show, some hated it, and some felt a bit of both. That last group is me.

Fact: The band DID fuck up, from time to time; some of these moments were glaring, some merely incidental. I have already cited examples.

Fact: They band DIDN'T fuck up a lot of stuff, too. Plenty of songs sounded beyond amazing (I really enjoyed "'40'," to name but one...)

Fact: OH, I AM NOT "SLAGGING" THEM!!!

Sorry, but I'm not. I just don't think it was a perfect show and I think that Pederson does a pretty solid job articulating this while still giving the band credit for putting on, if nothing else, a solid overall show.

I think they could've fucked upa hell of a lot more! I'm still hearing the opening gig of Popmart in Las Vegas.
Error after error - but they got it all sorted after a few gigs, so, the little (imo) that there is to be ironed out, im sure within a few weeks, will be.

If you shout... said:

Whoa, relax...! Sorry if my opinions for some reason offended you, my friend. The fact of the matter is, though, that I am perfectly entitled (just as is everybody else) to not love every single moment of every single show with every single bit of my heart. For me, it was a flawed opening night; still, nowhere near as flawed as, for instance, the opening night debacle that was PopMart (my favorite tour, incidentally enough).

Fact: Some people loved the show, some hated it, and some felt a bit of both. That last group is me.

Fact: The band DID fuck up, from time to time; some of these moments were glaring, some merely incidental. I have already cited examples.

Fact: They band DIDN'T fuck up a lot of stuff, too. Plenty of songs sounded beyond amazing (I really enjoyed "'40'," to name but one...)

Fact: OH, I AM NOT "SLAGGING" THEM!!!

Sorry, but I'm not. I just don't think it was a perfect show and I think that Pederson does a pretty solid job articulating this while still giving the band credit for putting on, if nothing else, a solid overall show.

I would have to agree on most parts. bono seems to be holding back. I just don;t hear that extra he always delivers even if his voice is fucked. The band sounded pretty good and i must say I enjoyed the solo of Bullet. I can not put my finger on it what it is with Bono.Is doens;t sound like tour nerves for the first concert..
I hope everything is okay with him...He sure doesn't sound like he's having the time of his life uninspired even and that is somthing -even when he was ill or something- you could hear...
I'm sure everybody who went had a great night because even on an B-night theey are still miles ahead of most bands.

Hope I'm wrong, and that the tour will be a blast..."for everybody"

It was nothing like the opening of Popmart, but I was surprised at the amount of mistakes in places last night. Not through the whole thing, but some songs were worse than others with missed cues and just the odd bit that sounded under-rehearsed. Bono did seem a bit forgetful and I can see why the original poster felt he was holding back.

I know there was some concern that they were under-rehearsed, but some of the little missed cues were strange as they were on songs they've been playing loads as promo. Only concern would be "how could they be under-rehearsed" and then obviously that makes you wonder if there are other distractions going on that we just don't know about.

FWIW it still sounded like one hell of a great gig and I'm sure things will only get better.

Agreed!!

I was there opening night and I've seen many shows in the past. This was one of the worst for me. No emotion from Bono, which to me makes or breaks the show. His speech ranting really puts a damper on the music...ruined 'One' for me. Hope things improve or they will damage reputation as best live act around which was well earned last tour

As long as he keeps his goddamn sunglasses on, he will be distant with the crowd IMO. They are like a protection mask for him, and I always liked the fact that he would take them off during the shows, precisely because he wants to touch people's soul. I was really dissapointed that he kept them on the whole show (or almost) and that might say a lot about how he feels.

I have one advice for him:

LOOK AT THE CROWD IN THE EYES!
TAKE OFF THE F*%ING SUNGLASSES!

Re: Agreed!!

mswan said:
I was there opening night and I've seen many shows in the past. This was one of the worst for me. No emotion from Bono, which to me makes or breaks the show. His speech ranting really puts a damper on the music...ruined 'One' for me. Hope things improve or they will damage reputation as best live act around which was well earned last tour
jeesus your very first post and you add to the moaning? and for the people that say bono isnt having fun, listen to the interview they gave to RTI over in the audio/video section of the forum

They will be flying in a few shows, it takes anyone a while to get back into the swing of things gigging wise, everytime I rehearse with my band it takes atleast an hour to get going, U2 work on a gigantic scale so obviously they take longer to get sorted:wink:

BrownEyedBoy said:
Can you tell more about the story of the girl that almost died and scared Bono? That must've been terrible for such a jumpy night for Bono.

Why would she have fallen that far off? Was she on the stage? I know it's irrelevant to most of the thread but I found this interesting to say the least. Just reading it scared me.

The girl was in the seats behind the stage. From my vantage point it seemed that this was good 7-8 feet from the furthest point where Bono could stand. His idea was to reach for her like David reaching for God...fingers inches apart. She kept reaching and started to lose her balance. She started slipping over the railing head first and barely caught herself. Bono really reacted to it, and like I said...immediately stopped and came back to the front of the stage mouthing "WOW".

I think Bono was a bit rusty, and out of all the members, he is the one that needs the most rehearsing. I'll agree with that part of the article, but I wouldn't complain because it's THE FIRST NIGHT!!!

Secondly, the Edge did make a few mistakes (was late in the beginning of "vertigo"), but I've never heard the man sound so good in my life.

His new work on "The Fly", he's killing the riffs on Electric Co, Vertigo, Zoo Station, etc.

A few more concerts, and the band will be more than solid.

I have heard, including this reviewer and a few from interference, that Bono seemed like his mind was wandering and elsewhere. What's up with that? I wasnt there so I couldnt say anything.

indra said:

And a question for the initial poster (forgot your nick).... You stood right at the entrance to the heart or whatever hoping to get to a better spot...did it never cross your mind that it could get rough?

That's the thing, it wasn't rough on the other side. I was prepared for a bit of shoving, but this was security grabbing and throwing people forwards and backwards. Like I said, my wife was almost thrown off of her feet by security and only caught herself on the rail. It was not cool, general over-reaction by security.

My wife and I aren't lining up tonight, we are going at 6 and playing it cool. Whatever happens happens. Unless you are in the first 100, there is no reason AT ALL to line up.

Went to the arena yesterday afternoon...was told the band had a bad rehearsal and left through a back entrance so as not to have to meet and greet the 25 or so fans that were there. We will see how the show is tonight.

OK, it wasn't perfect but for a first night it sounded fucking good. By the time they'll hit Europe they will be fucking mind-blowing amazing again plus they'll also have a new mindblowing amazing stage by then :drool: (at least I hope :reject: )

but for some reason there was less bitching and moaning about the elevation tour opening even though the sames things happend, mistakes happend, the band was less interactive, and if you read U2 live a concert documentary you will see this, but they the 3rd show on the elevation tour they were back to normal,

but for me this show was fantastic what i heard on the boots, and bono only sounded rusty in parts, not all the way through which some are trying to make out, where he was pretty much rusty right through in miami

enough said, whoever goes tonight will see a fuckin rocking show

TheRooster said:
I can understand why the band would want a random selection. It's true new faces don't necessarily mean new energy, but I'm sure they get tired of seeing the same people.

The band needs some perspective. How many people seriously are going to cross-over from night to night? Certainly no more than a small number, and certainly no more than a few shows for each. Does the fact that 10-20 fans will go to more than one show really mean that they need to screw over the other 380-390 fans who will only see one show and want to get into the ellipse? C'mon.

Yeah, I can't comment on the fairness of it yet (I want to wait and see how it goes tonight for us) but it is nice not waiting there today. From a logistics standpoint I think U2 is viewing this as a success, even for all the initial opening night glitches the actual process went well (not referring to its outcome for individual fans, but to the lottery process in general) and will be kept.

I might be singing a different tune if I don't win tonight either, or in Denver...not going to think about it!

Whatever with negativity folks. If you show up to the first show expecting spot-on perfection (especially considering the amount of rehearsals the band's put in lately, a clear sign that maybe they weren't kidding when they said they felt underprepared for the tour), you're going to be disappointed. Just ask anyone who went to first night Joshua Tree, first night PopMart, first night Elevation... it always takes them a little while to get it right.

It wasn't just being under rehearsed. They did not appear to be happy.
Their faces were like this :| maybe it was the stress of it being first night, or the horrible sound mix in that building, I don't know... but whatever it was it was there, and it wasn't just Bono.

EPandAmerica said:
Their faces were like this :| maybe it was the stress of it being first night, or the horrible sound mix in that building, I don't know... but whatever it was it was there, and it wasn't just Bono.
please listen to the interview they did for RTI bono and the edge sound as happy as i have EVER heard them after the first show,

Honestly, after listening to the bootleg I hear a lot more "errors" than I did being there live. I think this always the case. The performance was great, all things considered...and they have to be considered.

The rest of the stuff (lottery, security, lighting, blah) will be ironed out. Again, hold on to your hats cause in a few weeks this show is going to be lethal.

cmb737 said:
Honestly, after listening to the bootleg I hear a lot more "errors" than I did being there live. I think this always the case. The performance was great, all things considered...and they have to be considered.

The rest of the stuff (lottery, security, lighting, blah) will be ironed out. Again, hold on to your hats cause in a few weeks this show is going to be lethal.
but judging by some comments people havent got the patience, they want it the first minute of the show, yes i agree that paying $160 whatever you deserve something special, but being there on the opening night, hearing these fuck up's thats what makes up for the rustyness, i wasnt there but would loved to have been, its U2 starting out there massive world tour, whats more special than that

Wow! I am up to "ABOY" on the audio for the SD 1 concert I'm listening to and I think it's awesome. Yes, Bono did seem to miss a beat on Zoo Station and the Fly with the lyrics, but some of the things they did with the songs were very "fresh", they didn't just sing them the same way as in the past. Stories for Boys in Vertigo , Hands that Built America in Bullet, new ending to Streets (usually the end of that songs tends to tail off), Elevation, etc. all were changed up a bit.

Maybe if you were there it was lackluster, but the audio sounds terrific to me and I can't wait until Philly in May.

Okay, I waited a while to say this. But I feel I must. It is a rock show. And even though, I prefer mine technically correct, rock and roll is raw. I listen to it via the net, and I had may thoughts. I would like to add my two cents to a few different perspectives out there. 1.) at the beginning of EVERY U2 tour, the band sucks, by U2 standards I must say. A PERFECT example, Popmart. they opened for about the first month being what was considered very rough. That was a very expansive tour, in terms of length and locations. By the end of the tour they were being noted for how perfect and streamlined the tour was. I say this, irrespective of people's opinions about the album. 2.) Every tour, EVERY tour, Bono completely blows out his voice at some point. A perfect example, the U2 dvd's from Elevation tour. In Boston, he comments about losing his voice a few weeks before that, and it showed still. At Slane his voice was sounding cleaner, and with better breadth.
I'm going to follow that with the comments people mke about being there, and then hearing it. I saw an Elevation concert prior to the Boston dvd, prior to him blowing his voice out. I saw the concert and thought they were spot on that night. I went back and listened to it bootlegged, and I was right, they were spot on that night. Better IMO than the Boston dvd. In listening to San Diego, I hear them rough, and part of me knows it' the sound, it's them, it's the venue. But that's rock and roll. At least they weren't under the stage for half an hour, and coming out yelling, "let's Rock Cleveland!" And for all the flaming on Bono's voice, he still sounds better than he did on the Elevation tour. He has more power and more breadth, like he is singing more diaphramatic. For those who have problems with his voice, start a petition to have him quit smoking. I notice, there is a petition for Acrobat. I signed it myself. Did anybody else catch his line in Zoo Station the other night? "I'm ready, I'm ready for the Acrobat... I'm ready, for the balls... and the bat..." He wasn't always flubbing the lines, he was trying ad lib, which clearly, is not always much better.

EPandAmerica said:

I was there and I had a great time, but I agree with you that the band looked a little tense, which is totally understandable, of course.

The sound mix in the arena was fucking awful, I agree. I'm listening to the MP3s though, and the songs sound infinitely better. I'm more impressed after hearing the MP3s than I was after the show ended.

EPandAmerica said:

I agree with U2LA on several points.

SD1 was my 18th U2 show going back to LoveTown, and I have to put it on the bottom of the list.
Something was off and I have my own ideas as to what it was, but the joy and spark had to be unearthed, it wasn't just there for the taking.

I also had side stage seats, and the light curtain just is not working from the sides, in fact from the side it just looks like strings of colored lights, the visuals don't come through as well.

Highlights were the Boy songs :yes:!! Vertigo & Love and Peace also!!

yay so it wasnt just me! I almost felt guilty for feeling the way I did. I mean I liked it and all but for all the shows ive seen since 1984 it was one of the least intense/exciting ones I've experienced. I am sure seating had ALOT to do with it. The friend I went with LOVED it but she must have smoked like an eighth of weed to her head. Maybe I should have too! Ha ha...I was just appreciative to be in the house...

cmb737 said:

The girl was in the seats behind the stage. From my vantage point it seemed that this was good 7-8 feet from the furthest point where Bono could stand. His idea was to reach for her like David reaching for God...fingers inches apart. She kept reaching and started to lose her balance. She started slipping over the railing head first and barely caught herself. Bono really reacted to it, and like I said...immediately stopped and came back to the front of the stage mouthing "WOW".

yeah I saw this real clear cuz I was in the back behind the stage:( , bono was trying to touch them, she reached out over the rails and he saw it and jumped back and put his hand on his heart, like "whew ghirl you just gave me a heart attack" it was really cute to see Bono so concerned. He is the kind of guy that would have just been really guilt stricken if a fan died or became severely injured trying to touch him.

Hola amigos

I didn´t like the show, to be honest
just another "Elevation" U2 concert. The band didn´t sound full of energy at many songs as Sunday Bloody Sunday, Where The Streets, etc.

By The Way, I really don´t like that "Elevation" key of Sunday Bloody Sunday It sounds completely flat, boring and tiring :sad:

Bono´s voice wasn´t good, he was rough, raspy and thin at times. Neverthless his singing at the middle of "New Year´s Day" was almost perfect. The worst thing about his singing was his shortened performance, I mean, every line he sang it like he didn´t have any breath left so he must keep shortening his lines, really annoying :(. I really don´t understand why he likes to speak at the intro of Where The Streets. He just spoil the song with that speaking intro. Just listen to Sidney 1993 version of Where The Streets... without ANY speaking, that makes an amazing and sublime moment :drool:

The intro of The Electric Co was really crappy, nowhere near 80´s version. I don´t understand why he changed the words, ruining the song :down: what happened on the solo, Edge ?

City Of Blinding Lights was truly dissapointing. I really like this song, but San Diego´s version... :sad:

Bullet The Blue Sky was one of the most boring versions I´ve ever heard. Even The Edge was boring on his solo !!!!

Vertigo... I´m sure they used some playback on this song

The setlist was one of the lowest points, altogheter with Stage :eyebrow:

Overall: The concert had excitement just because it was the opening night of the Vertigo Tour 2005, but talking about the concert itself...nothing to write home about

Back
Top Bottom