MERGED-->March 28, San Diego Sports Arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oceane said:
And Axver, it's not a question of which fans are more 'deserving' than others, but the fact is that for many of us, a U2 show is a religious experience, something we look forward to for months. A lot of people who go to rock shows go because they can easily have tickets because of connections. That includes a lot a GA holders. Believe me, I had 'connections' during Elevation, which helped me get GAs a lot, but I realized how so many tickets go to people who just go because they can and it's an 'event'.

I don't really think those people should be at the front while some hard-core fans are at the back. Giving as much chance to someone who shows up at 4pm than someone willing to sleep overnight? OK. Give as much chance to someone showing up half-way through opening act? No.

Yeah, this is probably what I should have said rather than "casual" fans. I was thinking of CEO's who maybe know two or three songs but just go because they have connections and want to be seen at the hottest show of the year. Those people definitely shouldn't be in the ellipse over die-hard fans - or even enthusiastic but not-quite-die-hard fans.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of a lottery. I think it could work if handled right. I just don't think this is the right way. I do like the idea of giving preference to those with presale GAs in theory, but since so many of those tickets on the first leg ended up in the hands of scalpers, it just doesn't work out as well as it was intended.

Last edited:
U2 Opens Vertigo Tour with Homage to their 80's Origins
(Review of Opening Night - U2 Vertigo Tour)
by Camilo Arenivar

Anticipation was high as the lights dimmed at the San Diego Sports Arena and for the first time in nearly four years, the worlds biggest rock band took the stage to start another world tour. The crowd screamed as the bars to "City of Blinding Lights" from the band's latest release How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb filled the arena and the band walked on to their places. But wait? Where was Bono? He was already on the walkway halfway out in the middle of the arena! The crowd goes insane and the fun begins.

U2 went into nearly two hours of what was arguably a mix of greatest hits and fan favorites. Bono jokes about a spanish lesson in San Diego as he tears into the "Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce" opening of their runaway single "Vertigo". And later ad libs "Hello Hello, Im in a place called San Diego". Bono later tells the audience, "wanna go back to where it started first". And he shocks long time fans (and confuses new ones) by playing three songs from their debut LP, Boy . "Electric Co" had not been played since 1987 and "An Cat Dub"h and "Into the Heart" had not been played live since 1984!

The rest of the show was a parade of hits from all eras. They also played "New Years Day" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" from 1983's War, fan favorites "Bullet the Blue Sky", "Running to Stand Still" and "Where the Streets Have No Name" from their hugely popular 1987 lp, The Joshua Tree as well as the song that put them in the top 40, "Pride (in the name of Love)".

The majority of the crowd in the arena was excited and energetic, at times more so than the performers themselves. I would definitely say that this was a lackluster Bono. The stage design was very similiar to the Elevation tour, but really, who comes to a show for the stage design??? It's all about Bono, The Edge, Adam, and Larry. How did they perform amongst all the hoopla? They pulled it off, the person who was most impressive this night was clearly The Edge, whose backing vocals were critical and came in strong and timely. His guitar playing was blazingly hot and perfect. He rarely missed a note. The man is one of the most underrated living legends. Bono, simply by being Bono, got the crowd going but he was a little more distant than he has been in the past.

There were regular opening night guffaws. Vocals not coming when they should, guitar not turned up here or there but nothing one wouldn't expect for a first night on the tour.

The music from the new album played really well and sounded great, especially the surprising "Love and Peace or Else" that has Larry in the middle of the walkway in middle of arena playing a big bass drum. Later, Larry returns to his drum set and Bono takes over banging on the drum with a white bandana wrapped around his head. It is intense and awesome to see him just go off on that drum! "Miracle Drug" was also awesome.

When Bono began during an encore he said "Wow, San Diego turned out to be the right spot to kick this off" to a huge roar of approval. He tried to sell the audience on his ONE campaign for Africa numerous times. The final encore ended with a semi-acoustic version of "Yahweh" with Edge helping out on vocals that was surprisingly beautiful! It worked VERY WELL and then they played "40", the song from War that used to close their shows from in the 80s, last doing so on the Joshua Tree Tour.

It was a very 80s night for U2, with ten of the songs on the setlist coming from the 1980s, 3 from the 1990's (including a very rousing rendition of "Zoo Station"), 7 from the most recent release and only TWO ("Beautiful Day" and "Elevation") from 2000's hugely successful All That You Can't Leave Behind.

My biggest disappointments were that there was no "Walk On" and that I thinK I would have preferred an electric version of "Yahweh" and also the inclusion of "Crumbs from Your Table" from the latest release would have been nice too. It was an interesting set, at some times I felt like I was experincing FANS only treats and other times U2's Greatest Hits. Also "The Fly" was very mucky and hard to hear. Other than that, U2 pulled off another great show.

Was it a special show? I didn't feel the emotion and specialness that I have felt on previous shows and it was definitely not one of my favorites. However, it may have been my poor seats that left me feeling that way. I am sure if I had been on the floor, it would have felt alot different!

Regardless, it was still phenomenal to have been at the very first date on my favorite band's World Tour! That was the most special thing about this show. And 40 left me with chills!

Roland of Gilead said:
My intentions regarding GA is to wing it I think. I don't see the point in waiting too long so a magical beeper can decide to beep you into the heart. Personally, if I get in there, great! If not, I'll hang back a bit and enjoy from the sound desk area. I want to have the space and avoid the shoving. Most of all, know that my wife and I are safe and together.

:up: I think that is a great attitude to have about the whole thing.

I agree with Oceane too. It isn't that casual fans don't deserve the experience. Hell, everyone should experience up close to their favorite band once in their life. But the band feeds off the energy of the crowd. Some other threads commented on how who cares if the fans aren't "into" the show. Well, I care because the more love we show the band, the more love they show us. It is a symbiotic relationship during the live show. All we have to give besides money is our excitement and enthusiasm for their performance.

Anyone who shows up after the opening act has started should definitely NOT be allowed in the egg, that is just blatantly unfair to other fans.

Thanks for the detailed information. What a disaster. I'm glad to hear that you were at least able to reuntite with your wife and enjoy part of the show. I hope the U2 crew finds a way to get this GA thing running fairly and smoothly. So far they're off to a terrible start. We're seeing a lot of large blunders lately from the U2 organization and the fans are bearing the brunt of them. Sad to see.

I just don't get all the "casual fans in the ellipse" comments. Maybe because I was completely pinned up against the barricade in front of the Edge, I didn't get the vantage of the entire ellipse, but EVERYONE around me was completely jammin' the ENTIRE concert. Even during Electric Co, An Cat Dub, etc., it seemed everyone around me was screaming the lyrics. Last night was incredible. My knees and ankles have not yet recovered from jumping up-and-down for two hours straight.

From what I have read, you are right redsox04, because you were jammed up against the rail, you didn't see the space behind you in the egg. Who knows, maybe this is all based on perceptions instead of facts. This will all work itself out somehow. Like cmb737 stated, the first couple of rows in the egg were into it, but after that is was rather ho-hum.

I'm glad to hear you had a great time though.:wink:

camilo-
nice review.

still would like to meet u someday.

i don't think Bono was lackluster as my view was from inside the Egg, maybe that's why our opinions differ.

cheers
db9

Listening to mp3s of the show, does anybody else think Bono forgot alot of lyrics. He should take a look at getting a prompter to help him remember.

servo2005 said:

from the mtv thing:
Later, after working in some lines from "Stories for Boys," Bono gave the audience another shout-out, changing the lyric "I'm at a place called Vertigo" to "San Diego." (Good luck in East Rutherford.)

thanks MTV...he can just say New Jersey...

I can't wait for "Buffalo", think it will be right up there with that one.

One question that I haven't been able to get an answer for:

What if someone is lucky and gets scanned into the ellipse but doesn't want to go? Can they let someone else in? It seems this would happen frequently but I could be wrong.

wide awake,
lunch

trevster2k said:
I agree with Oceane too. It isn't that casual fans don't deserve the experience. Hell, everyone should experience up close to their favorite band once in their life. But the band feeds off the energy of the crowd. Some other threads commented on how who cares if the fans aren't "into" the show. Well, I care because the more love we show the band, the more love they show us. It is a symbiotic relationship during the live show. All we have to give besides money is our excitement and enthusiasm for their performance.

That's perfectly stated, thank you.

Can you tell more about the story of the girl that almost died and scared Bono? That must've been terrible for such a jumpy night for Bono.

Why would she have fallen that far off? Was she on the stage? I know it's irrelevant to most of the thread but I found this interesting to say the least. Just reading it scared me.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Can you tell more about the story of the girl that almost died and scared Bono? That must've been terrible for such a jumpy night for Bono.

Why would she have fallen that far off? Was she on the stage? I know it's irrelevant to most of the thread but I found this interesting to say the least. Just reading it scared me.

Funny no one seems to give a shit about the girl. It's all "oh poor Bono." :wink:

And a question for the initial poster (forgot your nick).... You stood right at the entrance to the heart or whatever hoping to get to a better spot...did it never cross your mind that it could get rough?

How did "LOVE OR PEACE OR ELSE" sounded?

i'm dying to hear this song

although I heard Larry didn't play the kit to this song? :(

Re: Opening night review

gregvernon said:
With ears still ringing and visions of U2 dancing in my head...

The night got off an amazing start for me when, from my seat in the front row of a section just off the floor to the left of the stage, I spotted Steve Lillywhite walking towards the sound booth. It happened that he was looking right at me as he walked past and so I said hello and applauded a bit. He stopped, looked at me with a big smile, and indicated that I'd best remove the ear plugs in my ears. I threw them to the floor. He laughed and walked over to me and said, "It isn't going to be that loud." I shook his hand and told him that after many U2 tours it was my first "opening night." He said that after 7 albums it was his first "opening night show as well." He complimented my seats and we exchanged a couple more comments before he moved on, obviously totally pumped for the night. The night was off to a good start!

After the requisite between-act music priming us for U2, and with the lights up, a song broke through the pattern with a completely different feel. It had a tribal drum beat and sounded a lot like a young U2. Lillywhite, who had found his place in the center of the console in the sound booth, was grinning from ear to ear and pumping his fist with the beat. This was it!!

Would U2 enter the arena, house lights up, as in Elevation 2001?

Lights out. Insanity. And as everyone by now knows, comes the piano introduction to "City of Blinding Lights." I'd told my friend that I expected to hear the song but I'd kept myself ignorant of pre-show proposed set lists and rumors and had no idea they would open the show with it. So to be completely honest, my first reaction was disappointment-- it's a soaring, beautiful, spiritually uplifting piece that I originally felt should have been more at the back end.

Oh, how wrong I was.

It's an unusual opener only from the standpoint that it doesn't have the punch of a "Zoo Station" or "Elevation" or "Streets" from the word "go," but I had forgotten how well it builds into a joyous rave. The San Diego Sports Arena was hands in the air, bodies moving up and down, church was in session and U2 was proclaiming the good word. And it was good.

There's going to be endless discussions about the entire setlist and it's here in another thread to be analyzed, so I won't waste your time going song by song. I'll just mention a few standouts:

"The Electric Co." - What a joy to hear this gem in the place held by "I Will Follow" for so many tours. And in my opinion, a declaration that U2 is not here to cater to the Top 10 but to play a U2 show for U2 fans. And if that wasn't enough, immediately thereafter:

"An Cat Dubh" - Oh. My. God. Pull out all versions you have of the song. Find the darkest version, with Edge's guitar as achingly beautiful as it gets. Trust me: last night's version was more dark and more beautiful. I don't want to ruin it for anyone but I have to describe this: lights go down, screens go blue with individual shots of the boys (a la Elevation 2001) and only stark blue light creating an otherworldly wash bathe them in this blue hue-- and then this plaintive, aching wailing of Edge's guitar. Edge, Play The Blues, indeed. Bono obviously doesn't sound like the Bono of 1980 but in my opinion he sounds even better with the soulful rasp in his voice and he sounded absolutely perfect to me as his falsetto reached the heights of "Yes and I know the truth about you." But you ask, what about the extended bridge between "An Cat Dubh" and "Into The Heart"? Like a dream, Bono started prowling like a panther (the black cat, yes?) around the circle, then getting down on all fours, then rolling over onto his back and going completely still. Focus back to Edge and Adam who shared one lone blue light and the guitar work went into what I can only describe as ecstasy. It was like U2 suddenly channeled the Doors, Edge letting himself stretch out like Robby Krieger in the day. You might ask: wouldn't the drastic energy change be a show-killer after "Electric Co."? If anything it just built the energy in the place to a fever pitch.

All I can tell you is it was the glory of rock and roll in all its glory. It was a moment that wouldn't have worked in any of the 90s shows but fit like a glove last night. And was probably the moment, in a show with many such moments, that was about giving the fans -- and I mean the fans going back to 1980 -- what they want.

Frankly I don't remember a thing that happened after that. Just kidding. But for me it was U2 taking off the gloves and taking charge of not only being a great rock band but moreover, taking charge of being U fucking 2.

Let's see-- other highlights? Without being a drooling fan, there were many highlights. "Zoo Station," "Running to Stand Still," every song from HTDAAB.

Let me just take a moment to comment to anyone who thinks HTDAAB is to "mellow." SEE THIS SHOW. U2 blew the lid off the place with every single song from HTDAAB, including "Sometimes," which is easily the slowest pace of the bunch. Not to blow any surprises, but I've never been a huge fan of "Yahweh," but their acoustic version made me see the song in a whole new light. It's a song, like "Walk On" that I just did not "get" in CD form, but now that I've seen them perform it, well, I "get it" now.

No surprise here but LAPOE is just freaking thunder. In the show that ACD/ITH was allowed to stretch out, LAPOE was in step in reminded the crowd that U2 can explode.

I frequently looked over to the sound booth to see how Lillywhite was enjoying himself and I will tell you that he didn't stop moving through the entire show. His grin was endless and he was dancing from beginning to end, even playing air guitar with Edge during some of the harder stuff. His boys are back and brilliant.

Where would I rate the show in the context of seeing every tour multiple times since 11/18/87? It's impossible because I'm still 10 feet off the ground. It was their least self conscious tour (as I felt the 90s shows were way too self conscious) in the sense that they didn't feel the need to avoid or protect an image. They just came out and kicked out a show that was true to the U2 of ages. Am I just saying that because they left the stage a la the early 80s with the crowd eagerly singing "How long to sing this song?" Maybe somewhat. But trust me, when they come to your town, you'll probably hear from the first notes of COBL that their intention is to play the kind of U2 show that they would want to hear- and we're invited to sit in.

Thank you so much gregvernon for that beautiful review! Lovely heartfelt writing!

sorry of i've missed this one in other threads, but how do we get into the heart (or oval) this time if me have GA floor tickets?

Is it the same system as last time where people queue up overnight, or do u2.com/Propaganda people get priority (here's hoping for the latter).

any info would be appreciated

U2LA said:
The majority of the crowd in the arena was excited and energetic, at times more so than the performers themselves. I would definitely say that this was a lackluster Bono. The stage design was very similiar to the Elevation tour, but really, who comes to a show for the stage design??? It's all about Bono, The Edge, Adam, and Larry. How did they perform amongst all the hoopla? They pulled it off, the person who was most impressive this night was clearly The Edge, whose backing vocals were critical and came in strong and timely. His guitar playing was blazingly hot and perfect. He rarely missed a note. The man is one of the most underrated living legends. Bono, simply by being Bono, got the crowd going but he was a little more distant than he has been in the past.

There were regular opening night guffaws. Vocals not coming when they should, guitar not turned up here or there but nothing one wouldn't expect for a first night on the tour.

My biggest disappointments were that there was no "Walk On" and that I thinK I would have preferred an electric version of "Yahweh" and also the inclusion of "Crumbs from Your Table" from the latest release would have been nice too. It was an interesting set, at some times I felt like I was experincing FANS only treats and other times U2's Greatest Hits. Also "The Fly" was very mucky and hard to hear. Other than that, U2 pulled off another great show.

Was it a special show? I didn't feel the emotion and specialness that I have felt on previous shows and it was definitely not one of my favorites. However, it may have been my poor seats that left me feeling that way. I am sure if I had been on the floor, it would have felt alot different!

Regardless, it was still phenomenal to have been at the very first date on my favorite band's World Tour! That was the most special thing about this show. And 40 left me with chills!

I agree with U2LA on several points.

SD1 was my 18th U2 show going back to LoveTown, and I have to put it on the bottom of the list.
Something was off and I have my own ideas as to what it was, but the joy and spark had to be unearthed, it wasn't just there for the taking.

I also had side stage seats, and the light curtain just is not working from the sides, in fact from the side it just looks like strings of colored lights, the visuals don't come through as well.

Highlights were the Boy songs :yes:!! Vertigo & Love and Peace also!!

What do you think about this review?

from @u2

By Erik Pedersen

They are, with little dispute, one of rock's greatest live bands. So why did U2 choose the creaky, hot, 40-year-old San Diego Sports Arena to open their hugely anticipated world tour?

One possible reason came to mind early on and was only cemented during the rest of Monday's two-hour, 22-song show: Maybe Bono wanted a decidedly less-than-state-of-the-art sound system on opening night in case the rust, or whatever, got the better of him. No matter the reasoning, the result was that rock's single biggest star of the past quarter-century was off his game. Sometimes way off.

While the band was typically flawless, the frontman struggled. Song after song -- new and classic -- he seemed to be holding back. Sporting dark shades and clothes, Bono's storied swagger was intact, but he appeared satisfied to deliver theatrics over emotion. Even his ad-libs often were second-tier: "Hello, hello, we're in a place called San Diego," he sang with a straight face during "Vertigo."

Musically, however, it was another U2 triumph, led by the Edge's ringing, invigorating guitar work and anchored by the underrated rhythm section of bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr. The band made sure its oldest songs -- artful, moody twists on the power pop of the day -- still have teeth and that the seven new ones in the set were significant. There were some that hadn't been heard live in years, and fact that so many radio staples were left out was simply a reminder of how many radio staples they have. Of the biggest hits, "New Year's Day" and "Beautiful Day" came across best, the latter getting a lyrical coda from the Beatles' "Blackbird."

After opening with a pair from last year's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, Bono said, "Wanna go back to where it started for us." Standing in close quarters -- as if back on a tiny stage in some dive pub -- the Irish quartet played three from their 1980 debut, Boy. The creeping choogle of "An Cat Dubh" gave way to a huge, Bruce Springsteen-like "hohh-ohh-ohhh" singalong. Those easy audience-participation moments recurred all night, showing how much the Boss' lovefest shows of the '80s influenced U2's live act. No wonder he and Bono inducted each other into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Typically, politics played a significant role in the show, including a midset trio of war-themed songs, a video scroll of the U.N.'s Universal Declaration of Human Rights and a moving first encore that melded Dr. King's dream with Africa's nightmare via "Pride (In the Name of Love)" and "Where the Streets Have No Name." After "Streets," which got the night's most vigorous response, Bono discussed his ambitious One Campaign to get "1 million Americans to go to work to prove that equality exists in Africa like it exists in the United States." It was an emphatic moment, made more so when he added, "Because we are more powerful when we act as one," and the band played its stirring "One." Still, there was a discernible lack of passion in Bono's voice and manner as he trumpeted his cause -- something Springsteen never lacks.

The stage setup borrowed its red-lit, heart-shaped catwalk from the last tour, and video was shown on a curtain of lights at the back of the stage -- a cool effect that recalled a gigantic Lite Brite. But with fewer visual distractions than in U2's pumped-up '90s tours, the focus was squarely on Bono.

His bandmates let him have the spotlight, of course, but he never appeared to challenge himself vocally, even -- no, especially -- during the usually riveting "Sunday Bloody Sunday." Rather than pour out the emotional vocals, Bono looked almost disinterested, letting the crowd do the work on the rousing chorus. His performance -- whether reined in or simply rusty -- was a disappointment that only an event-level show could mask.

Three-quarters of a great band made this concert work for the most part, but the star can't treat opening night like a dress rehearsal. U2 returns tonight to the newly rechristened ipayOne Center at Sports Arena.

© The Hollywood Reporter, 2005.

I also noticed on many of those promotional shows for TV stations... that Bono looks like he's thinking about something else while singing.
But I hoped it would change on the real tour.

I would like to hear a comment from someone that saw them in SanDiego.
True or not?

Actually, I think that this review is almost dead-on in both its praises and criticisms of the opening night show; of course, I wasn't there...anything I think or feel about the show is based solely on the bootleg that's floating around, and we all know that just hearing a show is a lot different that both hearing it and seeing it at the same time. Even a professionally-shot and edited concert movie doesn't quite sum up what it feels like to be there, you know?

Still, I especially think that what Pederson has to say about Bono applies. I've posted a number of times (at least, I think I have...) that I'm tired of Bono's rambling, incoherent, and tired introductions to songs like "One," especially when they stretch on for close to five minutes. I saw the band five times during the Elevation tour, and even after September 11 a lot of his grand-standing got mostly-conciliatory cheers from everybody. It happened sometimes during PopMart and was powerfully influenced by the Sarajevo link-ups during ZooTV, in my opinion: Bono changed from a great performer and band-leader and into a speech-maker. I guess that there's nothing really wrong with this, and it's certainly something he did a whole hell of a lot of during the '80s, as well...but I just don't feel or see or hear any passion out of him when he's going on and on and on about Africa, AIDS, or whatever else his new concern is during the contemporary shows. I'd love to see him let the fucking songs speak for themselves, for once--God knows that they can, cuz they're sure good enough. I want him to REALLY perform again...not just sermonize.

But, anyway...

Edge was characteristically off, too; Pederson gives him a bit much credit. While there certainly weren't any blunders on the level of that opening-night bloodbath version of "Discotheque" from Vegas, he was still pretty damn rusty. He continues to fuck up his guitar part during the "Listen to me now, etc." parts of "Sometimes..." and it felt to me like he was having trouble with his fx pedals: have we EVER heard so bland a solo from "Bullet The Blue Sky," for example? Still, most of my other complaints with the sound of the show were merely technical and should be resolved as the tour hits its stride (though I'm not willing to let Edge's oft-sloppy playing all the way off the hook), but I hope that Bono can pick up the slack....

Unless, of course, he already has. Like I said, I wasn't there... :shrug:

If you shout... said:
Actually, I think that this review is almost dead-on in both its praises and criticisms of the opening night show; of course, I wasn't there...anything I think or feel about the show is based solely on the bootleg that's floating around, and we all know that just hearing a show is a lot different that both hearing it and seeing it at the same time. Even a professionally-shot and edited concert movie doesn't quite sum up what it feels like to be there, you know?

Still, I especially think that what Pederson has to say about Bono applies. I've posted a number of times (at least, I think I have...) that I'm tired of Bono's rambling, incoherent, and tired introductions to songs like "One," especially when they stretch on for close to five minutes. I saw the band five times during the Elevation tour, and even after September 11 a lot of his grand-standing got mostly-conciliatory cheers from everybody. It happened sometimes during PopMart and was powerfully influenced by the Sarajevo link-ups during ZooTV, in my opinion: Bono changed from a great performer and band-leader and into a speech-maker. I guess that there's nothing really wrong with this, and it's certainly something he did a whole hell of a lot of during the '80s, as well...but I just don't feel or see or hear any passion out of him when he's going on and on and on about Africa, AIDS, or whatever else his new concern is during the contemporary shows. I'd love to see him let the fucking songs speak for themselves, for once--God knows that they can, cuz they're sure good enough. I want him to REALLY perform again...not just sermonize.

But, anyway...

Edge was characteristically off, too; Pederson gives him a bit much credit. While there certainly weren't any blunders on the level of that opening-night bloodbath version of "Discotheque" from Vegas, he was still pretty damn rusty. He continues to fuck up his guitar part during the "Listen to me now, etc." parts of "Sometimes..." and it felt to me like he was having trouble with his fx pedals: have we EVER heard so bland a solo from "Bullet The Blue Sky," for example? Still, most of my other complaints with the sound of the show were merely technical and should be resolved as the tour hits its stride (though I'm not willing to let Edge's oft-sloppy playing all the way off the hook), but I hope that Bono can pick up the slack....

Unless, of course, he already has. Like I said, I wasn't there... :shrug:
ALOT of people liked the solo in bullet, it was so haunting, jeesus i really cant belive how some people are slagging them off after just ONE show, and dont even dare say "oh am not slagging them" because thats what your doing,

Tours always have teething problems.

From the audio I've listened to already it sounded great, but hey I wasn't there..

Either way, I won't be swapping my tickets for a pint down the pub.

I agree with that review 100%. It was not Bono's best night. The band sounded good I thought but even they seemed to be holding back. Everyone was very serious and it was hard to tell if it was just the level of concentration required for opening night or if they were all not feeling it. I actually sensed a heaviness but that could have just been me. Having never seen an opening show before, I don't have others to compare it with so it's quite possible that everything was very typical of an opening night for U2.

Back
Top Bottom