May 22, Wachovia Center in Philadelphia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, no posts yet. Yet another great show - and the crowd was SO MUCH BETTER than last Saturday night in Philly, esp. during the main set. Probably the best crowd response to COBL I've seen in six shows. It went a little dead during the Zoo encore, then came back strong at the end of 40. Bono did have to re-start the oh-oh-oh-oh's after Pride once, but after he did they rose to an amazing crescendo and you could see him say "wow." Bono seemed to snippet something at the end of COBL, but I couldn't tell what it was. Also couldn't tell what he was singing at the end of Vertigo. He sang a more full version of Hallelujah than usual at the end of RTSS. Like NJ 5/18 I believe he changed the 2nd verse of Pride to "Messiah betrayed with a kiss."

In the encore, Bono pointed at Adam at the end of MW, as if telling him to stay on stage, apparently directing him to start WOWY - not sure if that was planned or not. I think it works much better as an occasional song than every night. At the beginning of the 2nd encore they already had the keyboard at the tip of the ellipse for Yahweh, then they took it away and the band ended up playing it on the main stage, not sure why. They also seemed to do a slight audible when going into 40, I heard somebody say they saw a setlist that had Bad closing instead.

Gloria continues to be a highlight for me, it is so great to hear that in person--something I thought might never happen. I've really grown to love this version of Elevation after six shows of jumping up and down to it, although I was skeptical when I heard the audio early in the tour. When you're there, it's liftoff time! I've been so blessed to see this show six times in the last two weeks and be part of several people's first U2 experiences along the way. Here's hoping, of course, for setlist changes for the fall, including some love for Rattle and Hum!

This show was spectacular as far as fan participation. Much better than the 14th- although thart still rocked.

It would have been a perfect setlist if BAD would have been played before 40. You could see Bono change it on stage to 40 instead. The setlist actually had BAD on it.

The crowd singing even made Bono say "wow". Hopefully a good recording will surface.

did they snippit strangers in the night during with or without you? loved the chigago 4 version when they done that snippet

Wow, it was an awesome show, a very loud crowd and i dont know if maybe that caused them to turn up the volume, because i had GA's and my ears are ringing like hell the next morning. ive never had a u2 concert or any concert do that for this long. anyone else.

i have to go to school but will give my full recap this afternoon when i return.

HEY JAG: maybe when you get a chance you could email so of the pictures you took. I didnt bring my camera in.

mkdominatr@verizon.net

Last edited:
It was a great show, full of energy! The crowd was into it. Bono was having a great time, dancing and singing well. His voice got a little scratchy once in a while, but for most of the songs it was great. Edge was awesome! It was funny when Bono got the girl on stage during WOWO, she seemed not to want to dance, so he just hugged her, and they walked down the ellipse. She started to get back down into the bomb shelter, and he stopped her and told her to run around the ellipse. So she did, waving her arms to great applause. Bono ran across the stage and met her on the other side. It was fun to watch as she saw him on the other side, she just ran to him and they hugged! Like in romance movies! Earlier in the show he got tatoo guy on stage. Later he took someone's camera and took photos for them. Lots of fun!

Great show! WOWO and the girl on stage was awesome. And the last 2 songs the crowd was rocking. Loved the way they ended the show. After all these years, Bono and the Boys, STILL know how to rock!

Just got back from Philly this morning. Wow. It's the best I've seen so far in this tour (Chicago 1 and NY). The crowd was actually louder than the New York crowd on 5/21! The people in my section though (Sec. 101) were sort of dead, save for a few I was lucky to be sitting next to.

Kikehisy, you're right, I don't know why the crowd becomes silent during Zoo Station (I :heart: this song live), but it picks up slowly but surely with The Fly and everyone goes crazy during Mysterious Ways.

I 'dragged' my aunt to this show. We were unfortunately in different sections, but had so much fun just the same. She loved it!

Tatooed Dan(?) got pulled up on stage again! :) Bono was like, "Hey, tatooed man, you have a new one!" or something.

Guys, wasn't there a snippet of Ultraviolet? :hyper: Can't quite remember. :hyper:

I was at the show last night. I agree that the band and the crowd were really into it - however having been at many U2 shows over the years this was undoubtedly the WORST SOUND that I have ever experienced (POPMart at Lansdowne Road was bad but not even close).
I was in section 108 and was deafened by sheets of high pitched white noise and reverb. You could hardly hear the vocals. During "with or without you" the feedback was almost blinding. I don't know whether it is a bad PA system, a bad soundboard technician or a bad venue (the Elevation tour shows there sounded good) but the sound really ruined my experience.
I thought the performance was a little lackluster and preachy - until the encores which were awesome.
I think Bono had some trouble with his voice - he was constantly drinking water. He also was badly out of time with the rest of the band on several occasions. Bringing the chick on stage got tired with Live Aid - leaving her up there for two whole songs was cringeworthy.
Overall, mostly due to the poor sound, a mediocre concert.:huh:

I will probably have a better review after more sleep, but a few things first...

There was something odd about the sound. My ears are still ringing. The feedback during WoWY was deafening.
(Possibly because the song was an audible. I don't think they were originally going to play it) You could tell the band was upset. Bono pulled out his earpiece before the song was done.

I saw them put up the stuff for Yawheh at the tip before the second encore, so I was encourged. At first I was worried they were going to call it quits after WoWY because of the sound problem.
It was a bit odd then when they took the stuff down during All Because of You and moved it up front.

I had heard they were going to play Bad on the radio afterwards. I really like ending with a full version of "40", but I like Bad too. I was standing right in front of the step Bono used for Bad during the Elevation Tour. I would have had a heart attack if he ended up on it.

The girl on stage with him for Mysterious Ways and WoWY was 16 according to a lady who sat in line with her. She got the tickets from her parents for her birthday.

Dan the Tattoe Boy was in front of us in line while we waited for entry. Cool guy.

Like i said, more later :)

Last edited:
rashers said:
I was at the show last night. I agree that the band and the crowd were really into it - however having been at many U2 shows over the years this was undoubtedly the WORST SOUND that I have ever experienced (POPMart at Lansdowne Road was bad but not even close).
I was in section 108 and was deafened by sheets of high pitched white noise and reverb. You could hardly hear the vocals. During "with or without you" the feedback was almost blinding. I don't know whether it is a bad PA system, a bad soundboard technician or a bad venue (the Elevation tour shows there sounded good) but the sound really ruined my experience.
I thought the performance was a little lackluster and preachy - until the encores which were awesome.
I think Bono had some trouble with his voice - he was constantly drinking water. He also was badly out of time with the rest of the band on several occasions. Bringing the chick on stage got tired with Live Aid - leaving her up there for two whole songs was cringeworthy.
Overall, mostly due to the poor sound, a mediocre concert.:huh:
but they have pulled women up on pretty much every tour? so if there so much you think is "cringeworthy" then why still go? shame you had such a bad time when everyone else seemed to think it was a great energetic concert,

wydok said:
There was something odd about the sound. My ears are still ringing. The feedback during WoWY was deafening.
(Possibly because the song was an audible. I don't think they were originally going to play it) You could tell the band was upset. Bono pulled out his earpiece before the song was done.

The bad sound seems to be a common theme for this show. I'm sure alot of it is dependant on where you are sitting but seems to be more prevalent this time, which is odd since they played there last week. Otherwise, sounds like a great show for all.

I don't have a problem with them pulling wormen up ---- BUT -- the girl they brought on was fairly young and they kept her on stage for ages including making her do a lap of the circuit. It think it's ok to bring someone on stage for a quick dance and a peck on the cheek (the tatoo guy was cool), but the girl clearly didn't want to dance and started feeling self conscious (Bono sat her down on Edge's monitor for nearly a whole song). Perhaps they need to think about another way to get the audience to participate.
I didn't say that I had a bad time - merely that the sound system sucked and this threw the band's timing off (it looked like Bono threw his earpiece away at the end of WOWU). The concert is over nearly 12 hours an my ears are still ringing.
But make no mistake - U2 are and have been the best live band in the world for the past 20 years and cheesy stage stunts or not I'm gonna continue to go see them.

bigwali said:
The bad sound seems to be a common theme for this show. I'm sure alot of it is dependant on where you are sitting but seems to be more prevalent this time, which is odd since they played there last week. Otherwise, sounds like a great show for all.

Don't get me wrong. It was awesome, and I had a brilliant time. I was just affirming what someone else said about the sound being off.

The sound...yes, it wasn't really good. The funny thing was that I could hear myself sing. I pity the person next to me. :D

Apart from the audio problems, I thought the show was awesome. After my first show on this tour (Chicago 1), I wasn't really on a high. After Philly 2, the feeling was back. :wink:

I thought this show was amazing. Crowd was on fire, bono, was on fire for most of the show. My ears are still ringing. The feedback during with or with out you was horrible. I loved the girl being on stage. She was cute and completely star struck. I turned to my girlfriend and she was wiping tears off her eyes. Tattoo guy was awesome.

This being my first show this tour does the band not use the catwalk much? Edge one time around, adam one time around, and bono maybe 4 times around. I thoiught it could be used more.

I will formulate better thoughts later. Great show, great crowd, great night!!

Pics from the show

U2-05-22-05-05.jpg
U2-05-22-05-10.jpg
U2-05-22-05-12.jpg
U2-05-22-05-09.jpg
U2-05-22-05-08.jpg

After being in the GA line since 9 am and freezing in the morning and burning in the afternoon(i am sunburn) it was great to get inside. My mom and i settled just to the left of the tip of the ellipse. when arcade fire came on the place went crazy, even in the stands people were jumoing around. a very very loud croud, even more so than the last phily show. during elevation the whoo hoos got so loud bono let us keep going and just said WOW. he also said wow during pride. It was awesome. Bono came out right there as i knew he would. In LAPOE he reached out to us kinda like he wanted to touch our hand then jerked back real quick. haha. what a tease. he took JAG's ( the guy right next to me) his hat and put it on. very cool moment. During streets ADAM and bono were chilling right in front of me. adam had a big smile on his face. good to see they were having fun.
I wish they had stuck witht he original set and played Bad but it was still awesome getting to hear with or without you. it did have some unusual feedback, definitly not on purpose either. i thought the sound was good, as the huge cabinets were split between my ears.
MY EARS ARE RINGING LIKE HELL AT 2:50 PM THE NEXT DAY??
this has never happened to me before for a u2 concert or any concert. IS THIS HAPPENING TO ANYONE ELSE? i saw someone up top mention it.
2 more shows in october. just awesoem stuff

I was in the ellipse to the right of the "tip".....fantastic show. WOWY was rough with the feedback.....my hearing is still messed up, too.

Thanks to everyone else that was there.....great crowd and the band really appreciated it.

Also worth noting that Paul McGuiness was chillin inside the ellipse for a few songs of Kings of Leon's set.....he just seemed to be checking them out. No one seemed to notice that the 5th member of U2 was standing right there. So, for all you Paul fans that make it into the ellipse....be on the lookout.

My ears are still ringing!
I was hoping when Bono started talking about Live Aid that this would be a precursor to Bad. In fairness - it's their Stairway to Heaven: all U2 fans love the song. They should play it at every show and drop "the Ocean" which was never one of their strong ones (when was the last time they played "Fire"?).

Thanks jbj! The last picture I think has me in it (on the right side of the picture, against the rail), although I can't tell for sure with the light.

I'm downloading these for my scrapbook in case mine don't come out.

As for those who asked, the feedback on WOWY was horrid.

This is my first U2 show (n00b!) so I wasn't sure if the ears ringing thing was normal. My left ear is ringing a little, my right ear (which I have constant problems with) is clogged. Everybody sounds squeeky. Bono sounded squeekly last night too, and I attributed that to my hearing. :huh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom