May 21, Madison Square Garden in NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
at about 745 pm, I was let into the box office after waiting 1.5 hours in line. Just when I got in the box office, they released a very limited quantity of GA floors. I paid $54 each and was about 10 feet from Bono and Edge when they came onto the elipse where we were. I was just extremely lucky on Saturday

MSG, 5/21/05 Review

After taking the past 2 days to digest and think about the MSG show, here is my review:

It is difficult for me to write this, but I came away somewhat disappointed with the MSG show. The setlist was repetitive and questionable at best, with too many 'slow' songs that impeded U2 from gaining momentum.

For example, "An Cat Dubh" and "Into the Heart" generally brought things to a halt after an invigorating opening trio of "City...", "Vertigo" (1st time) and "BDay".

Then they strode toward the finish of the set with a couple of toned-down songs that--I thought--were strategically placed at the back of "How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb". "Yahweh" and "Original of the Species" are thoughtful, tuneful songs that show U2's diversity as musicians and they are proud to play these songs live.

However, a more astute thought would've been to play one of the two rather than practically bring things to a halt with both. To make matters worse, they closed the set with "Vertigo". For the second time on the night!

During the "Boy" tour they played in concert "I Will Follow" twice. At that time they had a very limited number of songs to choose from and that was their excitable, hit-driven song. Therefore, it made sense to do that back in 1980-81.

For a band with such a vast and impressive catalogue of U2 to play a song twice in concert is illogical, disinteresting and made the setlist & band seem a bit contrived.

I have spoken to at least 5 other people (U2 fans, IMA) and they had a similar negative reaction to playing "Vertigo" twice.

Moreover, it would be a wise and credible boost for them to alter setlists and play for a longer duration.

In conclusion, I must clarify that U2 sounded strong, the crowd (as always) was passionate and the stage, although strikingly similar to the "Elevation" tour arrangment, worked well. My seats--high up in section 423--and the lack of circulation in the building didn't help either.

I was glad and fortunate to attend as U2 is kind of like pizza and sex: even when they are 'bad', they are still pretty damn good.

I just hope they change things up a bit when I go to MSG to see them 3 more times in the fall....

Last edited:
Hey MSG reviewers
T H A N K S for taking the time to Share.
As for our week in Boston
I am now alreeady filled w/ mixed emotions that it's Finally here so it's time to E N J OY!
because looking over our concert calender of Course no matter of the Stones and McCartney Hype THIS is the TOUR of The Year!

Re: MSG, 5/21/05 Review

The MSG show was good, but IMO there was something missing. I still had fun though. :)

MBH said:
My seats--high up in section 423--and the lack of circulation in the building didn't help either.

I was in 423 too! Oh yes, the lack of circulation...:tsk: I was so exhausted after the show.

The good thing about MSG though is that there were a lot of die hard fans scattered about in different sections, so I don't think there was one particularly 'dead' area in the Garden.

anyone got any pictures from MSG? I didn't find much in that section of the forum. This was the first show I didn't bring a camera.

If anyone could share anything, would appreciate it.

I got some junky ones :(

5ci0ds

5ci0ex

OK - I will try to make this brief.

I enjoyed the show - but really have to point out the negative things since I have been going to shows for this band since 1987.

Setlist - Well, I thought it was OK, but there was something missing. They kind of ripped through the songs (especially their hits) without much pause or break. The crowd was great during many of the songs, but some of them just did not connect. SOme of these songs are my favorites, and when they were over, I just did not think the band did them the honor they deserve. Maybe it is because the tour has no theme, but I thought the band could have led into some of these songs a bit better.

I love Zoo Station, but I just do not think it 'worked.' I love AnCat Dubh - but most of the people around me had no idea what they were playing.

My biggest criticism has to be for Willie Williams. I understand the band not wanting to have a main theme for this tour - but I thought the set was not only similar to Elevation, but actually worse. I just simply do not understand the logic behind replicating something that was already done. Mark Fisher was actually in the desk area during the show, and I just wanted to ask him why they did not do something different than they did. I thought the light curtain was OK - until it broke and until my wife basically turned to me during Bullet and asked "what's with the plane thing?"

As far as the Boy banner - I thought that was horrible, I think the band has to assume we know their songs and where they are coming from. It was just tacky.

I think COBL is a terrible opener and the best songs they played were actually Elevation and Love and Peace or Else.

Now I am sure to get criticism here, but I tend to expect the most when I go to a U2 show - and unfortunately I feel like they underperformed. Don't get me wrong - the band sounded great, and that is all it should be about, but they have set a very high standard and one which I do not think this tour to date has stood up to.

The songs were played in 3's - I get it, but they were played so quickly that by the time I absorbed Sunday Bloody Sunday they were into Bullet (or vice versa - I have forgotten.)

I just think they could have used a bit more umph...

Not more rehersal as I thought they actually nailed the songs - especially Edge who owns this tour - he was on fire. I just felt that the crowd did not get Zoo Station because they were not given a chance to. If that makes any sense, I just got from the past tours that each song was an event. At MSG - on a night when I really expected something special - it was basically a U2 menu rushed through.

What I would suggest as hindsight is 20-20 -

Drop Streets - Drop Bullet - Bring in some Zooropa and Pop - or Joshua Tree side 2 - be more spontaneous - be more adventurous.

Lose the damn light curtain.

Bands like Pearl Jam can walk onto a stage with 4 white lights and no setlist and put on a show that would trump the Vertigo show hands down (and I am not even that much of a PJ fan.)

And for God's sake, DO NOT PLAY VERTIGO twice in a show. I was truly truly looking forward to the show ending with 40. Something I have not seen in over 10 years. It did not happen - instead the band played a song TWICE instead of any of their other hundreds of available song.

I think that - more than anything else - left a bad taste in my mouth.

Remember - I love this band, I have always loved this band, and I always will.

When it comes to seeing them live once every 4 or so years, I think we are allowed to be critical.

Something tells me the Europe shows are going to be better, and I do hope so - I just wish the band was a bit more adventurous with the show.

Those are all my random thoughts fo rnow...

Last edited:
" Don't get me wrong - the band sounded great...

Seems to be a recurring theme throughout the reviews.

what was missing? i wish someone who says this would just come out and say whats missing, someone please come out with an explination, dont just say theres somethign missing,

and why when people give negative reviews they always say "i love the band and have been going bla bla bla" why does that make such a difference? does that make you more of a fan and better to judge? than someone who has just gone and had the time of there lives

also should they just get rid of the light curtains just for you? because i have heard so so many people say how "awsome" the are, so they should just ditch them for you right?

Last edited:
your review seems to be going in circles and leading to no were.
"oh they were great but they missed something?"
"I just think they could have used a bit more umph...?"
very unclear statements

also, do u want the band to stop every time before playing the next song so you can take in every song. We'd be at MSg for another 4 hours (well that doesnt sound to bad actually, but unrealistic).
You missed the whole point of the SBS and Bullet sequence. It was awsume how the opening guitar riff of SBS started, it really raised the energy level of the whole show up a notch. Bullet went right after SBS and the transition was perfect. Bono ends up using the mic as his own personal spear, ready to throw it into the crowd, then BAMM lights turn red and straight into bullet. It would have been crap if the band would have stoped (let u absorb the song some more) then went into Bullet. This gives the show some more flow.

The COBL intro was insane. Did u not hear all the yelling and screaming when they came on? everyone was on their feet going crazy.

I'll give you this, AnCat Dubh was a tune found unfamilar by many of the audience members but i thought it fit great with the show. it gave the audience (and Bono) some time to catch their breath.

also how people can say "theres no theme"? the theme war, the theme is africa, the theme is full circle, so really this tour has 3 themes to it, it seemed like you just wanted to critise everything the band did,

shame you didnt get what you wanted when so many others did

I forget where there is a rock concert law written that every fan must know every lyric to every song.

Maybe the band really gets a kick out of breaking An Cat Dubh back out again. Maybe they are trying to reward die-hards. I don't really know. I just know that not every fan at every show can or even should know every lyric. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, to me, is nothing short of a beautiful and moving part of the concert, and is a true highlight for me. But, even if it were not, I feel the band reserves the right to play older tunes and not worry if every single person in attendance is overly familiar. I like a mix of new, old, popular, obscure, etc....

Why can't someone just listen to something new to them and appreciate it? Haven't you gone to a concert, heard a song you had not heard before and wanted to own that song right after the concert? I know I have.

To y'all,who have been to NYC as me: I really don't understand, how anybody can complain about what u2 are/ are not playing in their setlists. The concert in Madison Square Garden has been a triumph and a singalong of the people in the audience.
Of course, there are "Greatest Hits" (especially SBS was an ultimative version) more celebrated than others, but: The songs from HTDAAB were excellent as U2's concept to go back to the other side of the frame - and to play four songs in a row from BOY, they haven't performed for at least 15 years. "The Cry", "the Electric Co.", "An Cat Dubh" and "Into The Heart" Bono has sung perfect; the band has been interacting, grooving and proving, they really want to play these gems even better than ever. It has been a magic night - as the two before in New Jersey. So don't complain, but be happy, you have witnessed u2 in the form of their life!

Ouizy, your review has some good points, I can't agree with all of them. But it's your opinion, and thanks for sharing it.

Last edited:
Thanks - I am not sure where KUEF's hostility comes from, but I believe that every fan has the right to criticize a show when they voluntarily pay good money for it. Why we would not be allowed to criticize the show is beyond me.

I do not claim that I am more in tune with the band because I have been going for a long time, I just tried to build a base for where my criticism comes from. My only point is that this is not the first show I have gone to (nor will it be my last) so in my mind, my criticism i scoming from someone who has a long history of going to shows, not that it was the fist show I have seen. It actually has nothing to do with anyone else.

I am an architect with a huge interest in stage design. I think a lot of my criticism comes from the show. In a business like mine, we are used to criticism like this. You can be the darling of the architecture world, but if you do a building people do not like, you get crucified. My point is that the band has had so many sucessful and mind-blowing tours, if you use that as a gauge - I would say that this one does not live up, and does not come close to what they have done in the past. Say I am not allowed to say this - fine, but where I come from you learn from your mistakes, and take criticism with a grain of salt.

When I say the show was missing something - that is something I would not have said about any of the previous tours.

Joshua Tree
ZooTV
PopMart
Elevation

These shows all had some kind of thread through them that tied the shows together. My opinion (which is clearly not desirable here - because here you have to love everything the band does) is that the show did not have this thread.

Also - I do not think every fan needs to kknow every word to every song, I was just pointing out that I do not think many got into An Cat Dubh. Which, again, is fine.

I feel like I am defending myself here, which is also OK, but my main point is that if you decide to go to a show you should be allowed to critique it...

MSG reviews

MTEdge
I totally agree with your review of the NY show. The band was FANTASTIC but the crowd just didn't seem to go for it. Seats were still empty even as the band came onstage. There wasn't the usual buzz and excitement before they came on. This was my first visit to New York and I expected the crowd to be something else.

How amazing was Zoo Station???? OOTS is a beautiful song and it sounded even better live. I totally agree about the Boy songs. The show had just got going after Elevation and these just didn't seem right at the time, but that's just my opinion. The second Vertigo was unbelieveable. Yahweh was a joy to experience (my least favourite track on the album) and a great ending to a brilliant show.

Did anyone try to buy a programme? I missed 2/3 of Kings of Leon queueing behind idiots taking hours trying t. shirts on. More programme sellers please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manchester next, then Barcelona. The Manchester crowd was wild on the Elevation tour so I can't wait for that. Anyone going to Barcelona?

MTEdge said:
Here's my review from zootopia...

A very good show. I believe both NJ shows were better. One caveat before the MSG review below... I was GA for both NJ shows (ellipse for the second).

My section for MSG sucked. Half the section, if not more, was sitting down for SONGS (!!) at a time. Anyways...

The band is on a roll right now. Most everything sounds prim and fit. The only recognizable "mistakes" were Bono screwing up lyrics on a couple of songs (notably PITNOL and the Bowie cover song) and The Edge's guitar cutting out a couple of times. Bono's voice was good, but I felt he was holding back in a couple of places (for example, SYCMIOYO).

I was hoping for something more than the Bowie cover song as the "surprise." I love Vertigo closing with Bono's "encora" lead-in speech. :) OOTS is a great song live. I wish it becomes more of a regular (not every show though).

"Setlist A" has its problems, but none more glaring than their inane insistence of playing three "unknown" Boy songs. Again, the momentum of the show stopped dead with the Boy songs. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing the Boy songs, especially Electric Co., just not every night.

I totally LOVE Zoo Station live with The Edge out on the ellipse punctuating the "It's Alright" verse with fist raised to the air. Great stuff! The Fly really rocked tonight. MW was almost perfect, except for The Edge's guitar cutting out just as his slide guitar solo kicked in. ABOY also had some guitar problems before The Edge's solo. Did I say that Vertigo closing rocks?!

I really enjoyed the "broader" view that seats afford. There's so much happening with the curtains and lights that you just can't catch if you're GA. (Please do not interpret this as a reason for [emailing] me with offers for my Fall MSG GA's!!!)

Bottom line, the MSG show was great, but my section sucked. The MSG show, unfortunately, may have been overhyped because it was the only MSG show for the first leg. As a result, I feel that there were a TON of ppl there that did not care much about U2 and U2 songs. They just "had to be there" to prove that they are "cool." I'd almost go as far as to say I was disappointed by the MSG crowd. I'd be interested to see what other ppl's reviews of the show and of the crowd.

Last edited:
...and there is no way for the band to know there were empty seats becasue the tickets were purchased by scalpers.

Also - did anyone notice that the back 1/3 of the floor was relatively empty? they could have sold at lease 200 more GA tickets with no problem...

ouizy said:
by the way - you should all read Boston 1 reviews - they pretty much say the same thing I am...
you sure about that?

Review by: TJ

This is my second show on tour and it was better than my first which was NYC Saturday night...Band sounded great and more energy from the band and crowd......Nice to hear such classics as Electric Co and The Ocean....Alot of great segways from Love and Peace to Sunday Bloody Sunday,Pride to Streets and so on...Just do me a favor while your in Boston mix it up a bit over the next two shows..I know with such a large technical production that might be a little tough but a real U2 fan doesn't need all that great production...And speaking of production I would suggest to strip down Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own down a bit and perform it on the front of the ellipse something like you did last night with Yahweh....I beleive it would give the emotion that the song deserves...great lyrics in that song......A couple of things to note that it was nice to hear Vertigo once and only once...I will say it again, to play it twice makes no sense..I understand why you needed to play a song twice years back because as you have stated before you ran out of songs...Now with such a large song selection that is not the case anymore and last but not least and I will write this in every review until it is played....Where is CRUMBS??....I look forward to the next to shows in Boston....

Review by: adub

I thought last nights show had tons of energy and they were really into it. The highlight was the way they let the crowd sing the first couple of verses of Elevation and then they roared into it while the crowd was bouncing away. Then Electric Co. was fantastic as well. The rocked out Fly was great - Running to stand still amazing and the acoustic Yahweh into 40 was a cool way to end the show. I will see them again in December and I can't wait.

Review by: Michael Sherman

Just got back from the first Boston show, drenched from the pouring rain outside, but really excited about a spectacular show. I drove up from DC to see it, and wasn't disappointed for sure. The crowd was wild; they seemed to appreciate the new songs more than I had heard reactions on earlier bootlegs from this tour. The band was tight; no mistakes that I caught, and they were really into it. I'm looking forward to Thursday night! The setlist wasn't anything unusual from the rest of this tour; pretty "safe" all in all. The one thing that really surprised me was for "40" The Edge and Adam switched instruments. So, this was my 8th U2 show over the years, and the best.
Review by: meechy36

Great show, thought it ranked right below ZooTV which was a pinacle tour to me. This was my 8th U2 show.

Thought the stage and lighting was fantastic, the crowd was great and the guys were right on tonight. The highlight for me was The Fly.

We had seats up in the balcony and thought it was well worth it just to be able to see the whole stage setup. When I first read about the "Light Curtains" I figured they were going to be goofy, was I wrong, they were outstanding, we'd never seen anything like it.

As for the songs, City of Blinding Light is an ideal opener zooming straight into Vertigo and Elevation. For me the Actung Trilogy was the best and the light show during The Fly was incredible.

All in all a really good show, my only letdown was that Original of the Species wasn't on the list tonight as that's my favorite song off of "BOMB." Well worth braving the elements for.

dont need to say anymore, you might have your dissapointments, but there are many more that come out happy

ouizy said:
Thanks - I am not sure where KUEF's hostility comes from, but I believe that every fan has the right to criticize a show when they voluntarily pay good money for it. Why we would not be allowed to criticize the show is beyond me.

I do not claim that I am more in tune with the band because I have been going for a long time, I just tried to build a base for where my criticism comes from. My only point is that this is not the first show I have gone to (nor will it be my last) so in my mind, my criticism i scoming from someone who has a long history of going to shows, not that it was the fist show I have seen. It actually has nothing to do with anyone else.

I am an architect with a huge interest in stage design. I think a lot of my criticism comes from the show. In a business like mine, we are used to criticism like this. You can be the darling of the architecture world, but if you do a building people do not like, you get crucified. My point is that the band has had so many sucessful and mind-blowing tours, if you use that as a gauge - I would say that this one does not live up, and does not come close to what they have done in the past. Say I am not allowed to say this - fine, but where I come from you learn from your mistakes, and take criticism with a grain of salt.

When I say the show was missing something - that is something I would not have said about any of the previous tours.

Joshua Tree
ZooTV
PopMart
Elevation

These shows all had some kind of thread through them that tied the shows together. My opinion (which is clearly not desirable here - because here you have to love everything the band does) is that the show did not have this thread.

Also - I do not think every fan needs to kknow every word to every song, I was just pointing out that I do not think many got into An Cat Dubh. Which, again, is fine.

I feel like I am defending myself here, which is also OK, but my main point is that if you decide to go to a show you should be allowed to critique it...
sorry did U2 burst into your house, put a gun to your head, and say buy a ticket?

and am not saying you dont have a right to critise, its just beyong me why people go to a show with the intention of finding the negatives rather than the things they enjoyed

KUEFC09U2 said:
sorry did U2 burst into your house, put a gun to your head, and say buy a ticket?

and am not saying you dont have a right to critise, its just beyong me why people go to a show with the intention of finding the negatives rather than the things they enjoyed

KUEFC09U2, you really need to chill out about this questioning of bad reviews/reviewers kick you seem to be on...

Do as I do... do not read the freaking reviews... people are entitled to their opinion, however wrong it may be :wink:

I thought all 3 of my shows were phenomenal, but if I sat down and started to believe what a lot of the reviewers said, the shows sucked!!!111

I know you probably havent had a chance to go to a show this tour yet so that is probably why you are obsessing over the reviews, but seriously, I think you are taking the negative comments more to heart than even U2 themselves would...

If someone wants to ruin their enjoyment of the show by sitting there and nitpicking, it is their choice... I choose not to let them ruin my memories and you should not let them stress you out...

Last edited:
A very likely reason why when U2 came on there might have been some empty seats (although in my section there werent) was because of the weather. It was pouring really hard, leading all the way up to the start of the show. Perhaps people simply arrived later beacause of it.

Also, I didnt notice any empty seats. In fact there was so much overcrowding and people swirming into the aisles trying to get a better view of the band.

Back
Top Bottom