May 17, Continental Airlines Center in East Rutherford

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An article I read said in Electric Co Bono slipped in a line from the Smashing Pumpkins 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings', anyone know what line he sang? Given that the Pumpkins are my favorite band behind U2 and R.E.M., this'll be really cool is Bono adds it in Boston 5/28:)

Here's a review I posted on a web site I run with a friend:

With Saturday's show at Madison Square Garden consuming most of my excitement for this week of U2 concerts, trudging out to the lonely Continental Airlines Arena just didn't get me going. I'd seen U2 there before and in comparison to other cities, the New Jersey shows were a letdown. Something about this arena just didn't click with me. So I brought cautious optimism with me last night - it would be a good show I assumed, but greatness would be saved for the World's Most Famous Arena. So I thought.

Turns out, despite some slow moments, poor acoustics and a few minor gaffes, U2 reminded me why I spent so much money and time caring about them for the last couple decades. Their performance was heartfelt, enthusiastic and earnest. By the end of the night, the band's intense energy managed to drag a lackluster audience onto its feet, and brought life to a forlorn sports hall.

It was then, at the end of performance, that this show went from very good to great. I've followed the Vertigo set lists show by show, so I knew that when U2 plays "40", that's the end of the night. After a six-song encore that featured a sloppy, touching performance of "Original of the Species", Adam Clayton and The Edge switched instruments, Larry Mullen Jr. started the familiar drumbeat and so began "40". People started to stream out of the arena.

As the song wound down, the band left the stage, leaving just Mullen and the remaining crowd singing "How Long Must We Sing This Song". After a few second's pause, Larry started up his traditional drum solo. Suddenly, he double-timed it, jumping into the "Vertigo" beat. Was it just a tease or was the band coming back for more? It was no tease. U2 thrashed through a ferocious second playing of "Vertigo", tearing down the last vestiges of audience indifference and sending everyone home shouting "hello, hello" into the cool New Jersey night.

I don't know what's in-store for tonight and Saturday, but last night was a great start to U2's East Coast adventure.

irajo said:
i wasn't really worried about people partying - that's part of the concert experience. People who don't want to be exposed to that should probably not go to shows

I was a bit more interested in whether the crowd was wasted to the point where people were fighting or arguing,etc.

Last month I saw the Black Crowes at the Hammerstein. Place was packed. Great show but many a-holes in the crowd were throwing beer on each other, fighting, etc.

to answer your question then, nothing to worry about.

I was at the show last night...I :heart: ed it! However, I was surprised at the fact Bono didn't move around the elipse that much, I guess his back was bothering him. Compared to the Elevation tour though, I did notice less energy, but then again they could come onstage and sing nursery rhymes and I'd be happy. Running to stand still was absolutely amazing definately a highlight :combust:

Fantastic show, perhaps the best U2 gig I've seen outside the post-9/11 MSG shows (which will probably always exist in a category of their own). This was my first Vertigo Tour show (though I've got 5 more to go) and though my expectations were extremely high, it managed to exceed them.

As others have already commented, the logistics of getting in and out of the Meadowlands complex aren't the best, but it was forgotten once we were inside the arena. Sure, the staging is similar to Elevation but -- as far as the "heart/catwalk" goes -- can you really improve upon perfection? I thought the lights and screens were put to good use throughout the show; not too much, not too little. Loved the racing lines around the ellipse and the unexpected return of the "Zooropa baby face" during the encore.

So, I've been following the tour+setlits online, so I basically knew what to expect. Still, the familiar surge of excitement ran through me when the Arcade Fire's "Wake Up" came on the PA, and then the lights went down, and the band took the stage in the darkness. Guitar first, then keys, then confetti. "City of Blinding Lights." Pandemonium. U2 was back.

Some of the highlights: "Vertigo" rocked (and, of course, we hadn't seen the last of it), and I liked the new version of "Elevation" more than expected. The rest of the crowd, too, and I was impressed that the audience also seemed to be into the "Electric Co." and the "Miracle Drug/Sometimes You Can't...." combo. In fact, I only felt their attention flag a little during the "An Cat Dubh - Into the Heart" segment, except for when the little girl was brought onstage.

The militaristic trio of "Love+Peace," "Sunday Bloody Sunday," and "Bullet the Blue Sky" predictabley rocked. Now, I've seen U2 10 times before and it was pretty clear last night that Bono was not quite as mobile/energetic as I've seen him other times, possibly due to his reportedly bad back. That said, he went nuts during "Love+Peace" and really kept the crowd into it. His simple dedication to the US troops during "Running to Stand Still" also brought a roar. "Pride" seemed more vigorous than in 2001, and while I miss the Lights (feels like that should be capitalized) at the beginning of "Where the Streets...", they're still there the second time through, and EVERYONE was on their feet with their arms in the air. Ah, if there are moments on this earth that resemble what heaven will be like, one of them is when the Lights come on in "Streets."

The Zoo Tv encore was a blast. I had never seen "Zoo Station" live before, and it was great (even if the crowd seemed a little lost), and I like the new stylings of "The Fly", too. I'll want to hear it again, though. And again. And again. "Mysterious Ways" is always a winner.

And a moment about the crowd -- I agree that it didn't sing along as well (with "Elevation," "Pride," "SBS") as I've heard other audiences, but damn, this crowd could cheer. It was LOUD. Really loud. The roars that classics received were defeaning, and the band noticed -- Bono mentioned it more than once, and I think that's what got us a clearly-spontaneous "Original of the Species" in the encores.

"All Because of You" -- and the crowd's response to it -- rocked more than expected, and I was thrilled with "Yaweh." It's never been a song I've loved on the CD (I like the alternate version from the Complete U2 better), but it felt very warm last night, a feeling enhanced by the four band members standing so close to each other on the catwalk. Having not been old enough to see U2 in the 1980s, I never thought I'd see "40" live, so that was wonderful, and I saw tears running down several faces as the band left the stage one by one, leaving Larry. Who didn't want to leave. Drum solo. Band back on stage. Vertigo. Awesome.

The crowd went nuts -- a perfect way to end the show. Yeah, on paper it looks strange to have the same song get played twice, but it was magic in that building. Everyone was buzzing about it as they left. I could literally feel the floor beneath me start to shake, as it did during "Beautiful Day" and "Streets." Unreal.

U2 is back. Game on.

jon - your review is awesome! The show was incredible!!!!!!! The people sitting next to me left during 40 - they have no idea of what they missed!!!! Vertigo 2 rocked!!!!!:rockon:

U2jer said:
An article I read said in Electric Co Bono slipped in a line from the Smashing Pumpkins 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings', anyone know what line he sang? Given that the Pumpkins are my favorite band behind U2 and R.E.M., this'll be really cool is Bono adds it in Boston 5/28:)

He did it during The Electric Co. at the Chicago shows (Smashing Pumpkins hail from Chicago). The line he adds is "despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage". I believe he added it to 2 or 3 of the 4 Chicago shows. He definitely didn't add it for the 12th.

You can see him singing the clip here:

http://u2log.com/archive/2005/05/up_close_and_personal_chicago_video_clips.php

Chicago 9/5: Electric Co // Guitar hero // hi - lo

As posted on the excellent U2-vertigo-tour.com:

Welcome in the "City Of Blinding Nights"!

The packed Continental Airlines Arena - the famous Meadowlands - is giving U2 an incredible welcome: With the house lights down, "everyone" is on his feet. The stage is in near complete darkness, with only the band members' silhouettes to see. Shimmering slide guitar sounds reminiscent of 1989/90's live version of "Hawkmoon 269" fill the space and announce the nights opener: "City Of Blinding Lights", a tune more than appropriate to the band's three night stand in the area of New York City. The musical dynamics explode with the the punkish "You look so beautiful to me..." outro, sung as a choir by everybody. Then "Vertigo" is next in the set's slot pushing the retro-foward feeling of HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB's brilliant tunes live even a bit further. Bono's counting in is a great moment: Everybody's screaming, jumping - and singing along to this tune, already being a classic in U2's catalogue. There's no snippet tonight: Although the band restarts the tune again as usual on tour, Bono seems to be overwhelmed by the crwod-reaction - and he lets them coming again, pushing them forward with "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...". Simple, folks, but how it works! The atmosphere is in real high spirits and stays there also the following nights. The third tune "Elevation" is sung by Bono, Larry (!) and everybody else only to the sound of Edge's guitar - for the whole first part of the song. Then the other instruments join in and rock the arena. By the way: My very congratulations to the US-audience being that incredible strong and inspiring for U2's music; it will be hard for some European audiences to keep it going way.

Then there comes the breathtaking moment to take several steps back in U2's repertoire, with Bono talking about the early days and albums. Tonight the band decides to play four songs in a row from their debut album BOY, non-single tracks, that haven't been played for at least 15 years: "The Cry" (outtake), "The Electric Co." (last time played 1987) and the masterful, instrumental driven "An Cat Dubh" linked with its coda "Into The Heart" (not having been chosen by U2 since 1985). This block is filled with the young U2's energy and creativity combined with the musical competence of today: The tunes are delivered in an awesome manner with Bono's voice sounding better than ever, while he inserts snippets as "Send In The Clowns", "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" as a reference to the Smashing Pumkins and The Who's "I Can see For Miles". First is the music is first and not cut short - the performance, to bring up a kid on stage only happens after the last tone of The Edge's guitar really has gone in the round...

Musically fitting "Beautiful Day" follows with its poignant guitar riffs echoing the times of "11 O' Clock Tick Tock" - and being one of the immediately by everybody recognized Greatest Hits since 2001's tour. After that Bono signalizes Edge to play on and delivers some lines from the Beatles' "Blackbird", a song with a strong message of solidarity on coloured people. Now three songs from HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB, some the album's finest albums are next: The block starts with the achingly touching "Miracle Drug", then the painful, true and emotional "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" allows Bono to hit high notes and give all of his soul - incredible. Then there's the band in dark grounds struggling with political issues and personal disbelief: "Love And Peace Or Else" shakes the house again; Edge's guitar coda is overwhelming, while Bono's and Larry's drumming on two different kits stuns the crwod. Very impressive and confusing at the same time is Bono in his "Ninja-Outfit" hitting his drum alone at the end - to segue into the anthem "Sunday Bloody Sunday", with its new "Abraham" middle part still being one of U2's finest crowd pleasers to play and one of the most important message songs, the band has written. So is "Bullet The Blue Sky", filled with new guitar sounds and Bono's performance of a blindfolded, maybe wounded Guantanamo Bay-like prisoner pleading for rescue and reflecting the absurdity of war in all its aspects. A courageous statement, especially in times, when war has returned to be one of the "normal" instruments of politics. In this stage persona Bono sings some impressive lines of "The Hands that Built America" with outstretched arms and he perverts the false glory of his snippet "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" in a Menetekel on the wall warning. As in the good old days the next THE JOSHUA TREE tune comes around: "Running To Stand Still" in its classic piano band version with a harp intro and "Hallelujah" as a snippet; this tracks is dedicated to the safe return of the US soldiers home - a feeling shared by thousands in the arena. Then an intermission informs the audience about "Human Rights" interference, with three topic songs following: "Pride (In The Name Of Love)", "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "One" - the latter being illuminated by thousands mobile phones' displays. The first encore starts with three tunes from ACHTUNG BABY, too: The great "Zoo Station" returning to U2's setlists with Bono marching on the catwalk, the incredible rousing "The Fly" with a dynamite jam of Bono, Edge and Adam around Larry's drum kit - and the ever crowd pleasing "Mysterious Ways". Then Bono requests for another, rare played tune: "Original Of The Species" in a full band piano version, but unfortunately hit by a non-coordination between piano notes and the singer's text lines. "All Because Of You" with a snippet of Bob Dylan's 1964 classic "Mr. Tambourine Man" opens the 2nd encore. "Yahweh" being played at the tip of the egg by all four has a hilarious moment: Larry arrives too late at the keyboard and because of his chords there exactly fixed and written, the band has to wait for him in the song and Bono has to count in - not without mentioning loud, that the drummer is too late. Then another great moment: The band plays "40" in old, classic style with Adam playing guitar (cool solo by the way ...) and Edge taking the bass. As one after the other has left the stage, only Larry stays for his final drum solo. But all of a sudden the drummer segues from his last drum beats in the pace of "Vertigo". So Bono, Edge und Adam come back and U2 rock the house again with this tune and end one of the longest and surely best gigs so far.

U2jer said:
Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage

I knew I was not the only one who hear that, I even screamed The Smashing Pumpkins! and the man in front of me just turn and gave a weird look!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom