May 14, Wachovia Center in Philadelphia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May 14th, Philadelphia

I just got back and I think it was AMAZING! This is also coming from someone who had never previously been to a concert, but wow. Bono is just a magnetic person on stage and U2 is really incredible. I loved Pride, BTBS, RTSS and well, everything. I thought though, that Zoo Station was the weakest part ( if it's possible to call anything U2 does weak.) The cell phone part during One was cool too- it seemed like all 20,000 of us were untied. I wish that they had done Bad, but oh well. Oh and Kings of Leon were okay, but I couldn't really understand what they were saying.

Well, that's my unofficial, unexperienced review. What do the concert veterans think?

I also remembered that today exactly is the 4th anniversary of the day I first heard U2.

No NYD, which was OK, but the bad part was they didn't replace it with anything!!! Really disappointing - shortest setlist of the tour?

Just got back and my ears are ringing still....literally. My mom said afterwards during the show she cried, smiled, and had chills!!!! now thats a rock show! Thought maybe they would stray from the standard set after their Chicago 4 madness but its was still an awesome show. The light show emproved A LOT i thought from Denver. Did they add effects to The Fly? that was awesome! The crowd was REALLY into it. at least compared to Denver 1. No offense...i like denver a lot!I brought my mom's Kodak camera and it has the capablity to take video, it did a good job at that but the audio is barely understandable. it was just way too loud for a little camera like that. I will be at Philly 2 bright and early next sunday for the GA line! until then, springsteen tuesday and stereophonics friday. i have a whole week now to digest this show! thats nice compared to the usual one night...

Last edited:
yeah that is weird they wouldnt replace it with anything

how was bonos voice? it was a little scratchy for the last show in chicago, was it back in top form?

if it was still weak maybe thats why they shortened the set by a song...

bono sounded in top form.....surprised at how standard the set was but rocked none the less. do we have 2 philly review posts open?....

and no NYD was not played!***

they also came out late...at one point they played arcade fire staopped it, play led zep, then back to arcade fire.....dunno what hap[pened

Last edited:
they definitely added light affects to the fly starting on the 10th in chicago

and its definitely an improvement

there have actually been a ton of improvements in the curtains of light since the opener

zoo station is another example of great improvement

yeah they went on pretty late..... i guess maybe that's why no NYD? who knows....

i thought zoo station was really good, and i think that's usually the weakest AB song (that is by far my fav. album). i was actually impressed by ZS tonight. so that has to say something. i thought the crowd was really into it.

Bono pulling the two little girls on stage was really cool.

His voice was great!! Philly did not want to stop singing to 40. The crowd was incredible!!

Last edited:
very good show, and the crowd was terrific. i was way up in the nosebleeds and the sound gets a bit muffled up there, very hard to hear bono's comments all that clearly. i've seen U2 in NYC, Boston, Montreal and Paris -- Philly was, far and away, the best, most energetic crowd i've experienced.

it's interesting ... i think they actually need to use the light curtain more, and occasionally slow things down. this show is pretty much 2 hours of loud rock songs, and i simply prefer songs like "stay" "aiwiy" etc. was great to hear the early "boy" stuff, and for some reason, people around me knew the words to "an cat dubh" as well as to most of HTDAAB-- wow. again, props to the philly crwd.

they sounded tight and bono's voice was good i'm now exhausted, hung over, and hoarse. am very much looking forward to DC in october where i won't be in the nosebleeds.

no NYD played -- the show did seem a little short. they can easily play 2.5 hours, and i see no reason why they can't play a little longer with such expensive tickets (though my cheap seats were only $50). i was also hoping that they'd close with "bad/40" ... sadly, no.

WOW!

Well, It's Sunday morning. Just woke up. I am still so tired and drained from waitng in the sun, but I'm totally happy!!! I was totally blown away!! I was not lucky enough to get beeped into the bomb shelter, but we met some great people in the GA line and ended up getting a good spot on the floor. I ended up on the felt side right outside the catwalk by the railing.
I almost would say it was better than being the Heart during ELevation!!! SO much fun, and nobody was pushy! The fact that we had Edge standing right in front of us play Zoo Station was incredilbe!!! It made my night!

Highlights for me were Love and Peace, and Electric CO. Also, 40!
That was amazing!! The fact that the crowd sang until the lights came up... Incredible!!

Well, I'm going to relax today and wait for the post U2 show depression set in. Can't wait for Oct 17th!!!!

The show itself was great, I especially loved The Fly and then ABOU at the end. Bono's voice is amazing; I have no idea how he hits those notes night after night. Adam came and played to our section at some point near the end, and it was so great to see him smiling out at us. Love and Peace rocked my face.

However, my GA experience was a nightmare. First time on the floor, and hopefully my last. I can't believe people were so excited to get these tickets... I was surrounded by drunk, pushy assholes who fell on me and elbowed me in the boobs more times than I could count. I was on the right side along the rail, at least 6 rows back from the catwalk. I thought it would be pretty safe over there.

I have seated tickets to the October show in DC, and am actually looking forward to experiencing the beautiful music from up high. Right now I'm wishing I had traded my GAs with some of the desperate fans after the presale. Maybe some who were bigger and burlier than me, who could have given these guys a real thrashing.

Chizip said:
yeah that is weird they wouldnt replace it with anything

They didn't replace Zoo Station with anything at Phoenix 2 either. That show was so great, though, I forgot to be mad until now. :mad:

joyfulgirl said:

They didn't replace Zoo Station with anything at Phoenix 2 either. That show was so great, though, I forgot to be mad until now. :mad:

i thought they replaced it with bad...

No Complaints here from Saturday Night. It was my first U2 show, so I didn't really have anything to base it off from besides the DVDs and bootlegs. But I can say it's been the best concert i've been to, ever.

I was residing in Section 122. It was the perfect side seat. When the video curtains drops down, I was sitting in between the side and back curtain. I had an unobstructed view the whole show.

I got goosebumps during the transition in to Streets and at the end of 40 when the crowd is just singing with Larry, Adam, and Edge playing.

A few side notes...

- The projector on my side was acting weird. It kept on warning itself about running over 1500 bulb hours. It eventually fixed it self, but it was just funny.

- I forget what song it was during, but when Bono brought the two little girls on the stage and said "Hi, my name is Paul, but people call me Bono". I liked that part.

Now, the only bad part is that I have to wait 5 months for my next U2 show in NYC, Madison Square Garden (10/14). My tickets for that show is Section 95, and I get a full frontal view of the stage. It's going to be incredible.

Catch22 said:
Any comments form anyone about seats behind the stage?

I had back corner on Edge's side (with the screen and the 1500 bulb hour message from time to time). Those seats are perfectly fine. Granted it can be a bit tough to see the band through that curtain of lights, but for the most part they were fantastic seats with a great view of the light show on the stage.

Which brings me to this: If you really wanted GA tickets then God bless ya. For the life of me I can't understand why though. I enjoyed having my peripheral view of the entire stage/band as various members were walking the ellipse. I thought the light show on the stage was spectacular at times. If I had to take a GA I would just to make it inside. I certainly wouldn't make it my choice to stand in that crush of people.

It sounds like the show was great, which I am excited to hear because I will be at the May 22nd show.

Glad to hear Bono's voice is doing well.

Can someone who had GA tickets comment on how early they got in line, how well the line was handled, did Wachovia security have lines set up the night before, etc?

My seats were pretty perfect. Even though we were in the quasi-nosebleeds, we could see the whole band the whole time except when the lights came down and blocked Larry a little bit. I was on my feet for the entire concert singing and dancing and screaming and having the time of my life. I keep thinking back to the concert and my favorite moments were when all the lights were on and I could see the whole crowd, all 20,000 of us, going wild. I have never felt so close to so many people, nor have I ever been so ridiculously happy and energetic for two hours straight. My left ear is still ringing, I guess because I was near The Edge and he was really loud ( and really amazing) but I really don't care. Bono is such a powerful presence and I think I said most of this last night but those 2 hours that U2 was on were really the happiest and most fun of my entire life

yeah, i thought last night was much better than the chicago 1 show i was at. alot more energy from both the crowd and the band. bono sounded good again, although his voice did sound tired a little, but the crowd made up for it. it was cool when he brought up the two little girls for 'into the heart' and the girl after 'one' (i could be wrong, i forget which song he brought her up for). the cell phone effect was much better this time, more people had them out. my ears were ringing for awhile too. i can't wait for msg on saturday, that is going to be unbelievable, the meadowlands will just whet my appetite for msg on wednesday. oh yeah, and electric co. was awesome, i loved hearing that song live.... now if they can only play ultraviolet, i will be more than happy...:drool:

The only thing that will stop your ears ringing is time. If you are going to multiple shows I highly recommend you pick up some soft foam earplugs from the drug store. They're only a buck or two and will save your hearing - once you lose it, it never comes back!

Back
Top Bottom