May 14, Wachovia Center in Philadelphia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question for Shygirl and anyone else who had GA tix - what time do you recommend lining up?

Many thanks!
Taryn

tkutish said:
Question for Shygirl and anyone else who had GA tix - what time do you recommend lining up?

Many thanks!
Taryn

Hi! My friend and I got there at 10am. We had a blast, although we didn't beep into the elispe. I would say still get there as early as possible. I was just worried about getting a good spot on the floor if we were outside the elipse . We did end up being right by the rail outside the elipse. One observation, It did seem like not that many people beeped in that were in the front of the line. Its your preference though.

Bring your sunscreen! I got fried, a small price to pay to see Edge play Zoo Station right in from of me!!

Shygirl said:

Hi! My friend and I got there at 10am.

quick question to anyone at the wachovia center this early. Where did you park, did they have a gate open? i will be doing this on sunday and thought about this right now.

I got there at about 4:45 and got right in to the Wach parking nice and easy. Just make that right into the parking lot after you get off 95.

elevateandy said:
I got there at about 4:45 and got right in to the Wach parking nice and easy. Just make that right into the parking lot after you get off 95.

yes but i was thinking more of 9 or 10 am. lol. thanks though.

I got to Wachovia at 11:35 and parked in lot D. It was really convenient because it was right next to the GA line. My sister and I were numbers 180 and 181. We amazingly got into the ellipse and were in the second row. It was incredible to be that close to the band. I would get there before 1 to get a decent spot. Good luck.

U2Girl1978 said:
On U2tours.com, they said NYD was played.... :hmm:

No, there was no NYD.

The show was amazing. DaveC and I were outside the ellipse in the second row on the rail just a bit to the right where they do LAPOE. Bono walked around in front of us quite often, as did Adam. :up: The entire band right in front of us during Yahweh was awesome, and seeing Bono hit the "Siiiiiing" note during Sometimes hit me harder than I thought it would.

Great show all around. Now I'm going to suffer withdrawls until October!

I don't know where to put this show.
It was better than the last POP tour I was at.
I thoght the crowd was intense!
Kings of leon were a dissapointment..but on to the band at hand,
the set was kinda weird..i really didn't care that they did not play NYD..kinda wore out that tune in the early 80's
the new album is still kinda growing on me..i like about 5 songs and they played them all..Bullet was butchered really bad..guess we will never see that like on the joshua tour again...loved electric co. and an cat dubh..but what a drop off to the younger crowd..running to stand still was the highlight i thought..doing zoo station as the first encore song was bit wierd..it seemed to lack energy..and i wish they would retire mysterious ways..40 was very cool ..it reminded me of the unforgettable fire tour in '85 some of the kids around me were just born when that came out...bobno's voice was strong and the band was tight..so overall it was very good but i don't know if they will top the 80's shows..

I thought th Phila show was amazing, I just thought the band played it way too safe with the setlist...especially after chicago #4. You can dl the complete chicago show @ U2neophobia.
Anyway, I had a killer time in the show & most of all, tailgating!!!!
Thats me on the left, friggin smashed! lol

This Philly show was one of the most sought out shows during the pre- sale. It Was a Saturday night and I expected something out of the ordinary. This was my third show of the Vertigo Tour. I saw Chicago last Saturday - night 1, which was not really put together. It seemed like there were a lot of breaks and moments that could have been technical difficulties. Night 2 on Monday in Chicago however blew me away. It was amazing. Great set list great and really great energy. One of my all time favorite shows.

Philly this night was OK. A solid show- but no surprises, no shake ups to the set list, just a good U2 show. I guess I just expected a little more for a Saturday night in Philly. U2 arrived much later than usual which may have led to the late start.. They also didn't stay so prob. rushed for the plane back.

Bono needs to come out on the ellipse a little more to make the GA fans behind it happy.

I’m not a big fan of the ellipse entry system. I do love the ellipse though. I have GA for all the shows and it’s nerve-racking to know if you will get in or not. I think if you line up early, that’s a sign of being a true fan, and wanting a good spot. You should get in if you line up early. Or, a certain amount of fan club members should get in the ellipse each show. I REALLY hope they change that system for the fall shows. A friend took me in, I had to leave my husband behind outside the ellipse. The people in front of me and next to me ALL bought their tickets the night of the show when tickets were released and got right into the ellipse! One group had just gotten there at 7:30. When many of the fan club members and fans who waited in line all day were behind the ellipse.

As for parking day of there is only one gate open early, off of Broad St. and you can park right next to the GA line. Late afternoon the others start opening.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

No, there was no NYD.

The show was amazing. DaveC and I were outside the ellipse in the second row on the rail just a bit to the right where they do LAPOE. Bono walked around in front of us quite often, as did Adam. :up: The entire band right in front of us during Yahweh was awesome, and seeing Bono hit the "Siiiiiing" note during Sometimes hit me harder than I thought it would.

Great show all around. Now I'm going to suffer withdrawls until October!

My wife and I must have been very close to you! We got in line a few minutes past 3pm and were one person off the rail. Great group of people on the right side of the rail. And you are right...lots of action right in front of us. Check out some pics/video at www.dwaltman.com/photoalbum.html

Last edited:
mkdominatr said:

quick question to anyone at the wachovia center this early. Where did you park, did they have a gate open? i will be doing this on sunday and thought about this right now.

The gates were open when we got there at 10am.

finally back at a computer after a long weekend in philly and what a weekend it was

the boys were TERRIFIC at the wachovia center. here are some random thoughts

-COBL is an amazing opener......spotlight on edge followed by bono appearing at the bottom of the ellipse....AMAZING!

-vertigo seemed a bit sloppy tonight...i think some of it might have been a result that bono was having with his earpieces (he kept popping them in and out throughout the show

-this was the 8th time ive seen U2 and it was the first time i got to see the whole band but also the individuals as well. larry was pounding his drums during the slide guitar part of COBL and was also really into elevation (as he was singing the lyrics) adam and his walks around the ellipse, especially during streets and edge was great multiple times including.............

-electric co., btbs, zoo station. edges solo during electric co was one of my highlights as well as him and bono on opposite sides of the ellipse during zoo station

-bonos hit on almomst all cylinders tonight.....his voice was really there tonight......he hit his notes (miracle drug) and worked the crowd as well (line of the night to the two little girls....."my name's paul but i call myself bono)

-top highlights.......COBL, electric co., LAPOE, zoo station, ,the fly

-overall an excellent show. a little disappointed with no "bad" but they still were amazing. great job lads! see you in jersey on wednesday

I was also in Philly... I have to say that the show was good, but by no means was exceptional for U2 standards. I agree with eherncane in that U2 played it too safe, and that they could have taken more chances with the setlist. I had the luck of attending two Elevation concerts at MSG in NYC in 2001 and I have to say that those were at least one, and maybe two, notches above Philly's Saturday concert. The crowd was indeed crazy and I sensed that the band could have responded a little better to them.

High Points of the Show:
Vertigo
Streets (although I am not so sure about this Africa introduction... I think that it takes away the crowd from the song)
One (the cell phone thing was great)
Mysterious Ways
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Love and Peace or Else (I admit it, I hated the song in the album, but live it sounds great)

Low Points of the Show:
Zoo Station (most of the crowd was "wtf is this?")
An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart (beer break for many people in my section)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (for some reason I cannot seem to like this live version and prefer the album one better... I also felt that Bono sung it too 'casually' and did not do the song justice)
Bullet the Blue Sky (another beer break for most of my section... I guess this tells you what people think of this song now, given that it was a hit).

I guess my expectations were a little too high at this point but I guess this is what happens with U2 fans like me. I truly hope for a somehow different setlist for DC in October.

Cheers.

jag0918 said:
I thought th Phila show was amazing, I just thought the band played it way too safe with the setlist...especially after chicago #4. You can dl the complete chicago show @ U2neophobia.
Anyway, I had a killer time in the show & most of all, tailgating!!!!
Thats me on the left, friggin smashed! lol

This leads to the torrent I couldn't open yesterday - and the website that won't let anyone new log on to :sad:
I opened the torrent with Windows Media Player but it says something is missing...anyone know what to do? :huh:
I thought I read something about this on the forum somewhere...

Last edited:
elevateandy said:
and here is the DVD- This is fast?

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=105059&item=7516383135&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
There were two guys in my section who got busted with a cam during One. Wonder if its the same people...prob not because I would imagine security wouldve taken the tape.

dwaltman said:

My wife and I must have been very close to you! We got in line a few minutes past 3pm and were one person off the rail. Great group of people on the right side of the rail. And you are right...lots of action right in front of us. Check out some pics/video at www.dwaltman.com/photoalbum.html

i was over on the right side too... right on the rail where the front rail and right rail met, green hat... had an amazing time, D/Ling your videos now... seeing as he sang sometimes RIGHT in front of me/us, i'm hoping i show up in it... :hyper:

EDIT*- ok just watched it.. i was about 6-7 feet to the right of your spot, to the right of the guy in the green visor that you can see in the Sometimes video.

still hoping someone has some photos of bono sitting on the ramp talking to the two little girls... that, too, was right in front of me.

kicking myself for not bringing a camera... would've had some absolutely AMAZING shots, but i just wanted to enjoy myself without worrying about taking the camera out... perhaps tuesday :hmm:

Last edited:
They came on around 9:10, alittle late. City of blinding lights thru electric Co. was amazing, Lots of energy from the crowd. I cant believe Im saying this but An Cat Dubh/Into the heart just killed the crowd, Its like they never heard the song before, I looked around me and people had blank looks like what is this. I thought it rocked, first time I heard it live. Beautiful day picked the crowd back up Again only to see it deflate with Miracle Drug. Are you kidding Me, I thought Miracle Drug Kicked ass, You could see and feel bono really getting into this song. Sometimes.. was very good, The women around me really seem to like this song (they were Cryin). Love And Peace was Amazing, Sunday Bloody Sunday got a huge pop from the crowd as did Bullit..Running to stand was loud, Everyone in the building was singing, gave me the chills (Awesome). Pride and Where the Streets Just didn't work for me. If streets had come on after Running to stand still I think the building would have exploded. One was excellent, Bono sang that with alot of pashion and the crowd (including me) I think was really feeling the love. Zoo Station, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, What can I say, These three songs kicked Ass. This was the highlight of the show for me. All because of You had its problems. Towards the end of the song as bono went to sing nothing came out (Not his fault), Edge really quick extended the guitar solo to compinsate. "Good job Edge". Yahweh Was A suprise for me. This song live is Electric. To hear 40 close a show was Unbelievable. All and All I had a great time, Tailgated all day with the diehards like myself and saw one hell of a show. After the show was over I was exhausted to the point I wish I had a taxi back to my car. Thank you U2 for a Great Weekend.

I was right in that exact same area, Headache lol. About 3 rows of people back, on the right side, was where I was standing with my friend. Someone had a nice altercation with a guy who was there and being pretty rude, on that side lol Not to mention he kept passing gas and it was not pleasant :huh:

Other than that, the show was great and I loved it. It was my first show, so I was extremely happy to hear any and all of the songs they played, having not heard them before. I plan on going again asap.

yea i caught the tail end of that... didn't really know what was going on :shrug:

again... i guess the different opinions all depend on where you were. i thought an cat dubh/into the heart was one of the highlights of the show... then again, it's one of my favorite songs and the whole thing with bono playing with the two little girls was right in front of me... so i guess if you were in a section with a bunch of casual fans who didn't know what in the hell they were playing it might have looked as if the crowd was "deflated." :shrug: all i can say is screw 'em... enjoy the show for yourself... don't worry about the people who are just there to be there.

Actually, it was almost the identical set list to SD1, but they took out NYD and replaced it with MW in the encore. The song order was different, but it was the exact same number of songs.

That was actually the only disappointment I had, I wanted to hear some of these new setlists! Hopefully with 4 Toronto shows and 2 DC shows, there will be some variety coming up. I can't believe how many DC people were there that I never got to meet!

Anyway, the energy was great, and :up: to the new lighting and video effects. A great show, but our glorious presale seats got us in the very last row of the top!!! :sigh: Well, it was good to be there anyway......

I thought the show was very solid, and U2 played better than they did at San Jose. It looked like they had more fun at San Jose, though (Bono was much more talkative there). The audience was really great - really singing along to everything both new and old.

I really don't get beer breaks. You're going to step away from a concert with one of the greatest bands out there, just so you can pay way too much for, at best, mediocre beer? I don't get it. :huh: Thankfully the majority of my section was into the show for the entirety, and not there to drink.

I thought An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart went really well - I was really surprised to hear a lot of the audience singing along to it. I also really liked Edge's solo to Bullet - he's been experimenting with it - it definitely sounded quite different from what I heard at San Jose.

Anyway, I thought overall it was a very strong performance, and though I would've liked to have heard some different songs (Gloria or Bad :drool: ), I left feeling quite fulfilled and satisfied with the concert.

i thought it was, overall, an excellent show. bono's voice was in top form and the band was tight. the edge ripped through the solos in The Fly and Bullet the Blue Sky. he really nailed it. he's a legend.

bono didn't seem as animated or into for some reason, although he sounded great so the songs didn't suffer.

they probably could have played a couple of more songs though. it started a bit late, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Just got back from my mini-vacation to see U2 in Philadelphia. Was at both Denver shows and I rank them Denver 2>Philly 1>Denver 1. Nothing tops the Denver 2 setlist but they were ON FIRE tonight in Philly. This was my friend's first show of the tour and he was blown away, said it was better than Elevation or Popmart. I was pissed that there was no NYD and I kept waiting for Bad or a new surprise somewhere later in the setlist but no dice. Regardless, the show was still AWESOME. This was the first time I really enjoyed An Cat Dubh and Into the Heart. New lighting effects are awesome. I was so pumped afterwards that I was trying to get everyone in the bathrooms, escalators, bars, parking lots, to sing 40 with me (with mixed results - some people were looking at me like I was crazy - but for a moment after 40 I thought they might come out and play again. The house lights stayed off for a while and the crowd in the bleeders were singing along (with some prodding). Overall a great show energy and performance wise, the setlist needs some life though.

I had the green t-shirt on and jeans. my buddy was probably singing too but I'm a little more outgoing than him. He and I actually had to coerce our section in staying until the lights were on.

Back
Top Bottom