June 27th Dublin - Croke Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a full review, but some odds and ends:

Apparently yesterday was Aung San Suu Kyi's 60th birthday. Bono dedicated "Running To Stand Still" to her, and threw in a snippet of "Walk On" at the end.

Bono skipped the last verse of "With Or Without You". Edge gave Bono a very confused look as it happened.

Coming from America, I was quite underwhelmed to see a Budweiser stand at Croke Park. If they want to sell skunky American brew, the least they could do is upgrade to Rolling Rock or Pabst.

Last night was amazing. It beat Sat and Fri nights hands down. Setlist was brilliant, with Gloria, An Cat Dubh/ItH, Bad, even a snippet of Stories for Boys, and 40 to end.

Was blown away.

I was at last nights gig. Unbelievable.

Last nights gig started around 9.10 about 10 -15 later than the other nights mainly due to bad traffic and the sun was still shinning brightly on one of the stands at 9pm.
For a start the sound was so much better, much louder and clearer than fridays. perfect almost. was on pitch standing.

Thought as a band they were practially flawless tonight, highlights for me were Elevation, whole place went mad. It was the slow down version before band joined in.
Bono brings a litte girl up on stage i think in Beautiful day, tries on her hat and i think he gave her one of his earings. Crowd loved it.
ISHFWILF, Origin of the Species (never heard live before, brilliant) and Bad, What a trio. Bono sang dirty auld town to an almighty singalong.
Then at around 10pm, COBL, the screen begin, darker tonight.

Pride, Streets & One. What more can you say. Everyone just went mad. huge singalong to the unexpected unchained melody. 82000 people sound very very loud. WOW!

During Zoo Station (now 11.10pm time they finished fri - still had another 5 songs) and the Fly best 2 songs visually. To you US readers, i was at LA1 and visually this stadium leg is some much more impressive.
WOWY - bono brings another girl up on stage at end. Crowd now are in an unbelievable form. deafening.
Now approaching 11.30 when they hit into Vertigo, thought this must be it. Again this went on for ages. Everyone, no matter at front or back of stadium was hopping up and down like fools and we didn't care. On such a high. And then they left the stage.
They briefly flashed 'the end' on big screen and it came off then. Alot of people started leaving, huge singing of ole ole ole ole, everyone clapping their hands.
Next edge walks out holding his acoustic, edge started into Yahweh, didn't sound right, bono was slagging dallas to get it sorted. everyone broke their shit laughing. lovely slow version, not sure what larry was playing, sounded like an electric chello or something. visually amazing again.
bono said lets keep with tradition and Into 40 they went, edge and adam swapped instruments. Never seen this or heard about this before. Brilliant. When all 4 of them left crowd sang along for about 3 or 4 more minutes. I'd say you could have heard it miles away.

The more i think about last nights gig, Its approaching the ZooTV dublin gig which i don't think it'll ever be surpassed IMO.

2hours 35 mins, i've never heard of u2 play that long. Crowd were brilliant, u2 themselves were outstanding, sound perfect.
It was a lot darker tonight so we'd much longer with the screen in full form. Overall a brilliant brilliant night.

Was at fridays gig also and while the crowd were in better form to begin with to a more crowd pleasing setlist, this IMO was the much better gig.

Had a good night last night.
Arrived at the ground around 5pm and had no probs getting into the pit.
The sound for the support acts was poor and the crowd didnt seem to know many of The Bravery's songs.
They were decent enough but are mostly a studio band .
Ash were pretty ok.
I was very surprised at how late most people arrived.
I'd say at 8pm the ground was only 40% full.
When I saw U2 in Manchester 2 weeks ago the venue was almost full at 6.30pm.
I guess Irish people are more interested in drinking.
I had an incident with a security official over a camcorder just before U2 came on and it fazed me a bit.
The security officials in the pit in Dublin were animals ,worst I have ever seen.
They were being bribed to let people onto the pitch (5 euro) and 50 euro into the pit.
Lovely chaps elsewhere in the stadia.
The pit itself wasnt full for the show.
It was too sparse for my liking.
I was just to the left of the right B stage.
Perfect vantage point and the sound was perfect;much better than Manchester.
Also alot of the people around me in the pit were like mannequins and didnt know many songs.
First hour of the show as in Manchester drags a bit and the song selection is off.
Too many poor songs like Gloria,An Cat Dubh.
The new version of Elevation is crap.
Original of the Species started the show for me.
From then on I enjoyed myself immensely,some songs being nirvana.
Streets,Zoo Station,The Fly,Yahweh,With or Without You.
I nearly had an epileptic fit during The Fly and seeing Bono in that jacket and cap is brilliant.
The ending to this tour is the best they have ever done with the last 7-8 songs each night being superb.
The first half of the show is about 5/10 for me and the second half is 10/10.
I'd never heard 40 live before but I liked it and esp the way the band left the stage one by one.
Bono's voice held up very well and it was an emotional night for him.
A very good night.
With some setlist changes it could have been a brilliant night .

Fano said:
Had a good night last night.
Arrived at the ground around 5pm and had no probs getting into the pit.
The sound for the support acts was poor and the crowd didnt seem to know many of The Bravery's songs.
They were decent enough but are mostly a studio band .
Ash were pretty ok.
I was very surprised at how late most people arrived.
I'd say at 8pm the ground was only 40% full.
When I saw U2 in Manchester 2 weeks ago the venue was almost full at 6.30pm.
I guess Irish people are more interested in drinking.
I had an incident with a security official over a camcorder just before U2 came on and it fazed me a bit.
The security officials in the pit in Dublin were animals ,worst I have ever seen.
They were being bribed to let people onto the pitch (5 euro) and 50 euro into the pit.
Lovely chaps elsewhere in the stadia.
The pit itself wasnt full for the show.
It was too sparse for my liking.
I was just to the left of the right B stage.
Perfect vantage point and the sound was perfect;much better than Manchester.
Also alot of the people around me in the pit were like mannequins and didnt know many songs.
First hour of the show as in Manchester drags a bit and the song selection is off.
Too many poor songs like Gloria,An Cat Dubh.
The new version of Elevation is crap.
Original of the Species started the show for me.
From then on I enjoyed myself immensely,some songs being nirvana.
Streets,Zoo Station,The Fly,Yahweh,With or Without You.
I nearly had an epileptic fit during The Fly and seeing Bono in that jacket and cap is brilliant.
The ending to this tour is the best they have ever done with the last 7-8 songs each night being superb.
The first half of the show is about 5/10 for me and the second half is 10/10.
I'd never heard 40 live before but I liked it and esp the way the band left the stage one by one.
Bono's voice held up very well and it was an emotional night for him.
A very good night.
With some setlist changes it could have been a brilliant night .
that was the most different setlist they have played on this leg. so they did change it up, quite abit, and you dont like gloria :s

oh well

Nope I dont like Gloria.
:eyebrow:
I know they changed the setlist but I just felt it would have been better if they played Wild Horses, Mysterious Ways ,and Walk On fully,earlier on instead of some of the other songs.
Just my two cents.

"It could have been a brilliant night"? Well, that's, how tastes are individual and different. Because for me, it was a brilliant U2 concert: with the band in high spirits, a top audience - and one of the most interesting and challenging setlists in U2's history. And as Bono said, they like to play their early albums - thank god!

Yes the band were in excellent spirit and they sounded brilliant.
Cant fault them there.
I think if you liked the first few U2 albums you were in for a treat.
Personally I dont so thats why I didnt give the show a 'Brilliant' rating although the latter half was better than brilliant.
:drool: :drool: :drool:

"I guess Irish people are more interested in drinking"

Hmmm, I think Irish people were working on Monday hence the major traffic delays around the city, hence the decision to delay the gig.

think I was standing beside you actually Fano, are you from Manch?

rollonslane said:

Bono brings a litte girl up on stage i think in Beautiful day, tries on her hat and i think he gave her one of his earings. Crowd loved it.

FYI (sorry, I hate using that, but it kinda suits), the problem with the hat was that the chin strap got tangled up in his earring/glasses/earpiece or all three! It took about 45secs for him to get loose, with this 10 year old girl trying to help him. It was pretty hilarious, and he took it in good humour, grinning over at Edge while trying to sing the first few lines of Beautiful Day, as the girl tugged at his ear! And yes, I was pretty close to him at the time...
Full review later, I'm liking the positive comments as it was an AMAZING night.

think I was standing beside you actually Fano, are you from Manch?
No ,I live in Cork now but I did see U2 in Manchester ,2 weeks ago and in 2001.
May have been me.
I was wearing a blue shirt and I have a light beard.
I also had a camcorder for a while .
:sad:
If you were near me,you wouldnt have had a camera or taken some pics you could perhaps send me on :wink:

Last edited:
No, you are not the person I was thinking of. I am going to take time later today to post some pics in the Tour photos thread.
I had a brilliant time on Monday. I was so fed up last night with no Croke Park to go to.

was at all three shows
saturday and monday were equally the best u2 shows ive ever seen along with 87 in the same venue (albeit slightly refurbished!)

out of control, gloria, ancatdubh/ith, bad were all played to perfection. such a treat.
i saw 36 u2 songs in three days, more than ever before.

dublin security guards are scum of the earth.
traffic was crap as it always is, people were in work, and irish people tend to stay outside until just before the gig anyway.
no point paying 5€ for a pint of piss and trying to listen to inaudible support bands who are lost playing in such a place in full sunshine.

'A concert at Croker: rattle and ho-hum' Irish Times last Friday

A concert at Croker: rattle and ho-hum by Jim Carroll

'The Ticket' entertainment supplement to The Irish Times, 1/7/05 (ireland.com/theticket)

The dog and pony show has left town. After three nights of U2 at Croke Park, the hot air which had gathered over the city has blown away, the correspondents who spent the last few weeks writing breathless uncritical copy have gone back to more mundane tasks, and the ridiculous fuss which greets every hometown show by this band has been put away in the attic for another four years.
The late, great music writer Bill Graham said that U2's Dublin shows were always distracting because of the off-stage noises. These have become amplified in the last couple of years as every bandwagon jumper from town and country has sought to leap onboard. Garrett Fitzgerald's photo op back in the 1980s was the beginning. Somewhere along the line, U2 have become part of that great messy ball of confusion which is the Irish cultural identity.

Yet, when you tune out from who's hobnobbing with who or the middle-of-the-road broad- casting buffoons now so in thrall to the band (a side-effect of multimillion album sales), it still comes down to the music. Since U2 last played the big field on Jones Road in 1987, it's not just the stadium which has changed beyond all comprehension.

U2 are an extraordinary band, one whose ability to reinvent and restyle themselves has kept them at the top for decades rather than years. Monday night, though, was a somewhat ordinary show from an extraordinary band. You could blame it on a lot of things - the last night of a hometown run, a ropey sound, a stage-set which dwarfs the band at times - but it doesn't help that they're hawking an album which is a bit of a dog.

Boldly returning to the very same places which All That You Can't Leave Behind visited, How to Dismantle aAtomic Bomb is a triumph of marketing over music, an album which sounds like a band running to stand still and succeeding. No wonder, then, that it's the old songs like Bad and Pride in the Name of Love rather than the new ones which sparked the crowd inside Croker on Monday night.

While U2 would never have envisaged themselves as a greatest hits live machine, this seems to be where they are heading. For all the cool support acts and pre- show booming of Arcade Fire's Wake Up (probably more beneficial to the Canadian band than actually touring with U2), the band have entered a Faustian pact with their audience of late about how challenging or out-there they really can be.

The band still carry the scars from the Pop experiment and, for all the theatrical pseudo-drama which Bono brings to the later stages of the show, it's anthems rather than art which now rule the day. This is unlikely to have changed by the time the band return in four years time.

Yes, U2 are now taking their cues from the Rolling Stones and no, that's not a good thing.

I have mixed feelings about this. On many things I agree with, but on others I'm not overly impressed by his ideas. I definitely don't agree that U2 are the Stones, nor that HTDAAB is that bad, but I do agree that Pop has left its scars, particularly on Bono. Just thought I'd see what everyone else thinks, cos this is usually one of the better columns in this part of the paper.

spot on article. this is becoming very obvious to a lot of people - 7ust read this message board if you don't believe me.

of course, there are still fans who en7oy the current u2, and that's fine.

but the tide certainly appears to be turning on u2, no matter how loud the band says "blah blah blah" while pressing their hands against their ears.

June 27th - Croke park

I had the privelege of getting General admission tickets for the three concerts in croke park and this was by far the best. to start it was about 27 degrees, also they played origin of the species which was amazing live and they finished with 40 which im sure not many of you have seen this year in no matter what concert you went to, runour has it that they will be playing more concerts in Dublin in 2006 so here's hoping and with wouldnt this be a dream set list:

My Setlist would be:

1. Vertigo
2. City of Blinding Lights
3. Beautiful Day
4. Origin of the Species
5. One tree hill
6. Running to stand still
7. Miracle Drug
8. Sometimes you cant make it on your own
9. New years day
10. Pride
11. The Unforgetable Fire