June 10th Brussels - King Baudouin Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
June 10th, Brussels.

Okay … no one else started an european “review” … i’ll try, but sorry for my bad English & writing.

First of all, … musically there was only U2 in my life (although smiths & mozzer, waits, beatles, pixies, ned’s atomic dustbin, zappa & abba came pretty near), so it isn’t probably very objective what i’m going to write …

The opening acts in Brussels were … great IMHO : the Thrills (never heard of them …) were a bunch of young, good boys, also form “Dublin, Ireland”, listening to U2 since they were 13 (“so it’s a big f**cking deal to be on the same stage now …”), giving a comfortable “Beach Boys”-like-good feeling … They were playing extremely loud … which was very promising for the main act :).

Snow Patrol (i believe i saw the singer once in a little club, with his other, fantastic band, The Reindeer Section …) played very pleasing tunes … BUT the sound was far more & too silent in comparison to The Thrills … i was standing in the midfield, and it sounded like the two big standing boxes were switched off … very strange, but i thought it was done consciously so that U2 would sound more powerful … ; however, and very, very, very, very (x 10.000) unfortunately, that was not the case…

“Irish blood, English heart” (“This I'm made of, there is no one on earth, I'm afraid of, and no regime can buy or sell me …”) was played over the PA .. wow :=)

U2 opened with a great Vertigo, right into End of the World (eat that, america :) …) … and then an ‘ordinary’ Vertigo-setlist (including Arcade & everyone), without surprises (.. i silently hoped for wowy or bad, or an acoustic electric storm like they rehearsed …) and with the predictable snippets (although “here comes the sun” was … well, the “B-Funk Master of Gin Tonic” sang it so beautiful) ; but i’m not complaining or nagging about the standard-setlist (which, these days, seems to be very trendy amongst us, U2-freaks …) : i am (still, after all those years) moved enough every time i see (and hear) them + they play standard setlists every tour !!

However, and this is serious : i had trouble hearing them (MIDFIELD !!!) – the Thrills were loud & ear-splitting, Snow Patrol were ‘loud’ … and U2 was … silent ??!! Those boxes in the midfield weren’t working at all!!!! Normally, you feel adam’s bass in your belly, larry’s drum beneath your belly, bono’s voice in your head & edge makes you sober at once (after one drank far too much Belgian beer) … but none of that in the midfield … I don’t know what went wrong, and i hope someone could explain it … Also, there were other (small & not disturbing) technical malfunctions : sometimes the (fantastic (!!!) blue, purple and yellow) lights weren’t working, the declaration of human rights was projected without a voice (the first 4 articles), the ‘screaming-pig’-sound at the start of End of World wasn’t overwhelming, …. People in Belgium (probably the most difficult people in the world) are demanding a refund already … And, for the first time since i saw them in 1983, a substantial part of the crowd started to boo (you can hear it at the beginning of City) !!!! ; very, very, very strange indeed, during a U2-gig. I hoped Bono would hear it & ask what was going on in the back … but he was too busy i guess :).

The Belgian crowd was pretty quiet … i think i was the only one (in my section) singing the (joshua tree) ‘still running’ part (although i had to stop due to falseness ..) and dancing during End of World & Zoo & Fly. There were only 4 songs during which the complete crowd went nuts : new year’s day (i heard that song enough … but when you hear & feel it live … it’s still exceptional), sunday, pride & the 2nd Vertigo ; but i guess this is the case all over the world …

The “light & video-show” was amazing …. It looks so simple, but pfffieuw : it was great (especially during zoo station – back to the 90ties … i think bono had a cam in his mike-stand : fan-f*cking-tastic) : enjoy it, while you can !!! That father-figure walking during Sometimes … breathtaking emotional – people are criticising the heartbeat going into a flatline (too freaky…) – i think it’s a way of coping with a great loss : sharing it.

Whatever, i had a wonderful evening – Bono singing “mr helicopter : take a picture of this man” during elevation (when the police heli flew over) or “step on a fast train, even take an aeroplane” during running (when a KLM plane flew over – Dutch workmanship … :=) : great.

But i wanna hear them … LOUD ; i wanna be deaf for a week after a U2 gig !!!! So, desperately seeking for other tickets

Toedeloe …

PS : if anyone knows what went wrong with those midfield boxes : please, tell me.

You're right about the sound during the Thrills, it was extremely loud.
The bass was pounding through my stomach and I was kinda glad that changed with Snow patrol.
See,I've had some bad experience with this loud bass pumping in my belly way back in 1983 during Peter Gabriel, and it almost made me faint (hot day, not enough food& drinks taken)

But in my opinion the Thrills' sound was very bad, you couldn't understand much of the lyrics, so I was very pleased to hear Snow Patrol did better.

it was funny how this singer kept thanking us in french after EVERY song. He apologised for his bad french but his flemish was none existing
:wink:
Still I think most of us understand enough English to occasionaly say Thanks you in Enlish ;)

I don't know what the problem was with the speakers midfield but from where I was standing (6 meters from edge's b-stage), sound was perfect.
The King Baudouin Stadium is not renown for the best sound quality:|

The declaration of human rights has always been started from the 3rd article, so nothing wrong there.

I read about the lukewarm reactions from the audience too, but I guess that wa very reliable on the place you were standing, our crowd was fine, not jumping all the time but really into it.

I didn't jump all the time either, there's just so much to take in that you need all your attention just to do that and I still feel like I "missed" lots of things.

the video screen was fantastic, I really like the graphics during Bullet, the red screen with the airplane going from left to right, and during Yahweh, how the "o" in coexist turned into the globe, into a bird , into a fist which then opens etc..
I shouldn't say too much, not to spill the beans for all the ppl who are still going to watch the show.

I do think Bono was not very communicative, not very much in touch with the crowd, he had them going from the beginning without even having to make an effort, so I don't know if the crowd was to lame as everyone says:eyebrow:

My recollection was that early on (Elevation or maybe even UTEOTW) Bono looked at Edge and sort of gave him a signal, meaning 'this crowd is really into it' and Edge acknowledged it.
During Elevation the crowd set in too early, which was quite funny I thought.

But I was a bit dissapointed that Bono didn't say anything about the belgian crew, stage builders and colaborating companies, they usually get a thank you and usually Bono says something in Flemish and French, none of that though.:(
I also thought he would have make a comment about all the white bands the ppl were wearing on their wrists or heads. He must have noticed them.

Maybe he forgot due to nerves of first night and all, who'll say.

But I enjoyed every minute of the concert, that 's for sure.

I'm looking out for some tix for Amsterdam (16th) , so if anyone can help, please let me know :wink:

Last edited:
"First of all, … musically there was only U2 in my life (although smiths & mozzer, waits, beatles, pixies, ned’s atomic dustbin, zappa & abba came pretty near), so it isn’t probably very objective what i’m going to write …"

Finally! Another Ned's fan exists! Thanks for the review..

greety said:
You're right about the sound during the Thrills, it was extremely loud.
The bass was pounding through my stomach and I was kinda glad that changed with Snow patrol.
See,I've had some bad experience with this loud bass pumping in my belly way back in 1983 during Peter Gabriel, and it almost made me faint (hot day, not enough food& drinks taken)

But in my opinion the Thrills' sound was very bad, you couldn't understand much of the lyrics, so I was very pleased to hear Snow Patrol did better.

it was funny how this singer kept thanking us in french after EVERY song. He apologised for his bad french but his flemish was none existing
:wink:
Still I think most of us understand enough English to occasionaly say Thanks you in Enlish ;)

I don't know what the problem was with the speakers midfield but from where I was standing (6 meters from edge's b-stage), sound was perfect.
The King Baudouin Stadium is not renown for the best sound quality:|

The declaration of human rights has always been started from the 3rd article, so nothing wrong there.

I read about the lukewarm reactions from the audience too, but I guess that wa very reliable on the place you were standing, our crowd was fine, not jumping all the time but really into it.

I didn't jump all the time either, there's just so much to take in that you need all your attention just to do that and I still feel like I "missed" lots of things.

the video screen was fantastic, I really like the graphics during Bullet, the red screen with the airplane going from left to right, and during Yahweh, how the "o" in coexist turned into the globe, into a bird , into a fist which then opens etc..
I shouldn't say too much, not to spill the beans for all the ppl who are still going to watch the show.

I do think Bono was not very communicative, not very much in touch with the crowd, he had them going from the beginning without even having to make an effort, so I don't know if the crowd was to lame as everyone says:eyebrow:

My recollection was that early on (Elevation or maybe even UTEOTW) Bono looked at Edge and sort of gave him a signal, meaning 'this crowd is really into it' and Edge acknowledged it.
During Elevation the crowd set in too early, which was quite funny I thought.

But I was a bit dissapointed that Bono didn't say anything about the belgian crew, stage builders and colaborating companies, they usually get a thank you and usually Bono says something in Flemish and French, none of that though.:(
I also thought he would have make a comment about all the white bands the ppl were wearing on their wrists or heads. He must have noticed them.

Maybe he forgot due to nerves of first night and all, who'll say.

But I enjoyed every minute of the concert, that 's for sure.

I'm looking out for some tix for Amsterdam (16th) , so if anyone can help, please let me know :wink:

:up: Hi Greety!

I was there with Greety & hubby and my brother :)
I wrote a few things in the general discussion area about the show, my posts are scattered all over the place, to match my equally scattered brain (yes, even though it's already Tuesday), lol.
I agree with everything you wrote. Highlights for me were RTSS, SBS and definately STREETS!
I must admit that I was a bit prejudiced by the threads on here quoting Adam that they would include some POP-songs and I was waiting for OOTS as well :(
Bono seemed absent yes, his performance and voice were amazing though.
The crowd was really into it from where we were standing (edges b-stage) and the energy sparked over to the guys, I'm sure.
Edge and Adam were smiling a LOT!
Bono took a walk on our catwalk for the first time during Beautiful Day and he as well, was smiling :)

Now...we want to see more gigs! Any tips are much appreciated, thanks!

Thanks very much for your review of Brussels show, I find it fascinating to hear the way things are described by Europeans. I mean that in a good way, I love the different choices of words from what we Americans use. Also the light show you are seeing is quite different from the way it was in Chicago. I hope you get to see another show, I have tickets to 1 in December, and I'm trying to get to another in October.

Thanks for the reviews everyone. I heard the interview that Bono did with Jo Whiley after the show and she commented that he didn't interact too much with the audience and he very easily admitted that it was due to nerves. Bono's always admitted he has a problem going onstage in front of 20-30-60,000 people, probably because of the high expectations and with some of the comments fans make, I can understand why. He probably feels like he's being "fed to the lions." And if there were boos, I'm sure they all heard them. I think you'll find that after he has a few European shows under his belt he'll become more comfortable with the crowd. That's what usually happens. :)

Just before the gig, Bono had a meeting with minister Michel, a euro commissioner.
these are pics from his website

louismichel2.jpg

louismichel1.jpg

louismichel.jpg

esp the last one is funny.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom