April 21, Pepsi Center in Denver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Denver, 4/21

Let’s start with the pre-show stuff.

GA Lottery? A non-issue in my book. We arrived at 6:05, got in line, about 450 back or so, and still ended up only 8 ‘rows’ deep at the center of the catwalk. A great view; and with all band members walking the ramp, unless you really want to see the sweat on Bono’s nose, I’m convinced there is no reason to camp out on concrete all day for a better spot.

Kings of Leon – I have never listened to them before, and had no expectations. That said, the music is pretty good, but the vocals and lyrics could use some time. I won’t judge them and with time, they could sell some records and have a decent career – with three kids under 3, I barely have time to listen to U2, let alone search out the next decent rock band.

COBL opened the show, followed, I think, by Beautiful Day, then Vertigo. All came off great, though I was a bit worried as Bono sounded a bit horse early on. It was evident to me early that the band was having fun; I’m not sure, but I don’t recall seeing Adam smile nearly as much in previous shows. Not certain of the order, but Elevation and Gloria were up next. As much has been contemplated out here on Elevation, it came off fine to me – not great, and Bono kind of teased the crowd a bit with when to jump in. It was a blast counting down 2-3-4 as the intro to Gloria.

I’m getting tired, but other highlights for me included Bad, Miracle Drug, RTSS, and Streets. Pride was played, though it seemed a bit like the band was not fully into this song tonight. BTW, my fears about Bono’s voice faded pretty quickly, as he really got going after about the fourth or fifth song; and he was great on Sometimes.

Other nice moments, he brought back the young boy for a short magic trick from the night before, and the woman he danced with during MW held her own. She did a nice job dancing with Bono, but knowing not to take it too far – and she was apparently selected because her husband had a very small sign that read “Touch My Wife” – as Bono coached her gently off the ramp, her reaction and joy was worth the price of admission – she had fun, and the crowd really enjoyed it as well.

Species replaced Yahweh on the second encore – it was full band, and I enjoyed it, but it could use a touch more work. Fly and MW were solid as the first encores, and I’m not a huge fan of MW.

Overall, a great show from my perspective – probably top 2 out of my 14 since 1983 -- the crowd and the band were way into it, the music dominated with the special effects and lighting kept to a minimum. It does sort of feel like this might be the last tour, I hope not, but did get that sense. Finally, it’s U2 and Bono, we got our dose of inspiration about world issues and Africa – it was pretty balanced, and in the end, the music and the band were still the main focus of the show.

Love to hear other perspectives, waiting for Omaha in December.

Good night.

I agree with most of BWU2Buff's post. The crowd energy and the setlist determined the greatness of this show. Bad is a staple. Sound Mix was equivalent to last night but all the other intangibles set this night's show apart. Pride is a good song but has to go.

Wow. Wow, wow wow...they BLEW me away last night. I think someone here said that you can judge how good a show is if you look at the very top of the arena to see if those people were dancing. They were-everyone was A ROCKIN. The band was fun, playful, joking and energetic. Maybe I WAS in the wrong place Wednesday, because the sound was SO MUCH BETTER....I got what I wanted from them last night-perfection.

COOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least some positive comments on Bono's voice and the show in general. I can't wait... still 2 month and 16 days..... OMG it's too long...

Yahweh_OMG said:
COOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least some positive comments on Bono's voice and the show in general. I can't wait... still 2 month and 16 days..... OMG it's too long...
the majority of people are saying his voice is the best in years, and thats what am going with, and i NEVER heard him hitting the woohoo's in elevation on the last tour, but this tour, they are soooo clear, bono's back and lets just enjoy him :)

Last edited:
Here's a quote from the Denver Post which suggests that Bono's voice (at least in Denver1) was assisted.

"The "oh you look so beautiful tonight" refrain from "City of Blinding Lights" was so much more than just a mating call or even a platonic compliment. It was a grand assertion of beauty, and together with the lights, the on-point instrumentation and Bono's celebrated voice - sounding as bold as ever, though it was sometimes assisted via a recorded track - the message was heard well beyond the Pepsi Center walls."

Here's a link to the complete article.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~28704~2827930,00.html

The concert was great but the sound was HORRID!!! I was in section 126, row 8 (not bad seats) and it sounded as if they just turned all of the dials to 10. I couldn't make out a word that Bono was singing on songs that I wasn't very familiar with. I could follow along on songs I knew well only because I knew the lyrics. Here it is, 1 PM the following day and my ears are still ringing. The sound man should be fired! Otherwise it was a strong show. Great to hear a lot of the older stuff.

also sorry to reply to my own post, but why on earth would bono want a backing track, when he has edge. and now larry to back him up?

also maybe the reporter heard larry singing? first time he has really sang backing, and if someone dosent know there singing then they could get confused with it being a tape?

I thought Bono sounded great Wednesday night. I haven't heard that shortness of breath since the opening show and if he can sing at Denver's altitude, he can sing anywhere. Some nights are better than others for various reasons but he sounded really good Wednesday. I was on the rail so at times when he was standing close by it was easy and exciting to hear him hitting the high notes so purely. Not all of them all of the time, but a lot.

This was my first ever U2 show and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen my anyone, amazing performance, Bono's stage presence was incredible. Highlights were streets, Sunday and a great version of One

I don't care if voice tracks are added. There are only 4 guys up there, playing many notes, and I trust them to decide where the music needs added this or that. After all, it is still their voices/instruments.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, that article is a lie. I remember thinking at one point "who's singing" because Bono wasn't even holding the mike to his mouth but someone was singing....and it was LARRY. OMG, i'm kinda mad.

coloradospaul said:
I'm sorry, that article is a lie. I remember thinking at one point "who's singing" because Bono wasn't even holding the mike to his mouth but someone was singing....and it was LARRY. OMG, i'm kinda mad.
sorry but was there any need for such sarcasam?

The reporter, I feel, is confused. I think he is referring to the third verse of Miracle Drug, when Bono clearly doesn't sing...but it does sound like him...but it is in fact The Edge singing that verse.

I agree with Val. I don't buy the argument that at a live show, ALL sounds eminating from the speakers must come from the 4 band members. I think that cheats the audience in the end, b/c the songs don't sound as full as they should. It also prevents them from playing some material, and that is just a shame.

anyone got the audio/torrent yet for that nite's version of BAD/Original of The Species???

:|

standout show

2Hearts! Another MuteMath fan out there! :applaud: You shocked me with that icon. I just saw those guys about three weeks ago and they blew me away, despite having one of the worst band names I have ever heard. Maybe the best new band, at least live, I've seen in the past three or four years. Unfortunately, most of their set was unreleased stuff, and their ep didn't catch me quite as much as their show. But those guys really boosted my enthusiasm for new music out there. There's some serious talent there, and they more than reminded me of U2 - in spirit, if not in sound. I would have gone to see them in Nashville the other night if I weren't in Denver watching U2, ha. :heart:

This second Denver show will go down as a special one I think, and I'm trying not to be biased b/c I was there. I've got several recordings of other shows on this tour so far, and they pale in comparison vocally. I have yet to hear another show where Bono goes after the "hey yeah's" or whatever he's screaming in the bridge of ABOY. In every show I have, he doesn't even give it a shot and lets the audience take it. I can't wait to hear a boot because it sounded like he nailed those. Not to mention his wailing on the "wide awake's" in Bad, or the chorus of OOTS. He was ON last night.

Someone also commented about them not opening with LAPOE, which I personally think is a crap song but is fun live. Regardless, I thought it was awesome when it segued into Sunday Bloody Sunday with Bono wailing on the drums and then Larry coming in with the SBS beat, and Bono changing tempo on a dime to match Larry's snare. It was powerful musically, and it was funny watching Bono trying to keep rhythm with Larry. He had to hold off several times from hitting the drum b/c he wasn't quite getting Larry's beat. You'd think after 22 years of performing it... I don't know if they've been doing this combo in other shows, but the pair of songs worked well together.

This show surpassed my expectations and hopes in every way. One minor gripe: The Edge never once set foot on the ellipse. He stayed on stage the entire freaking show. The other three guys practically camped out right in front of me at times for good close photos.

U2Acrobat8 said:
The reporter, I feel, is confused. I think he is referring to the third verse of Miracle Drug, when Bono clearly doesn't sing...but it does sound like him...but it is in fact The Edge singing that verse.

Larry was doing lots of singing during Miracle Drug as well; actually, Larry was doing loads of singing last night, which I personally loved, given my permanent fixation on the man. I think the reporter got songs mixed up or something.

Bummer about the sound for those of you who said it was bad; it was amazing from where we sat (box 227), and really good Wednesday too (section 110).

I thought last night's show was better than Wednesday's; for a band who nearly always seem "ON", they were even more so than usual.

pookersmom said:

I thought last night's show was better than Wednesday's; for a band who nearly always seem "ON", they were even more so than usual.

I agree!! Thursday night had that extra something. The energy from both the band and the crowd was electric. I have to say I've been very impressed with the Denver fans. On Thursday especially, the house was rockin'!! Coming from Boston, I didn't know what to expect. Well I was not disappointed.

The sound was a problem for me on Wednesday night in section 146, 2nd row next to the stage on Adam's side. It was so muddy there we could barely hear Bono at all for half of the songs. But the view couldn't have been any better.

But on Thursday, standing at the back of the floor, the sound was crystal clear. What a difference!! I think that it absolutely depends on where you are in the arena. Although I couldn't see the band much and I had to rely on the screens, it was nice to take in the whole show and see the things that I didn't even realize I had missed on Wed night. I also loved that I could spend the show jumping and dancing and celebrating every second of it.

As much as I would love to be close to the band and have a clear view, I would have to choose the clear sound over the clear view any day. Both, of course would be ideal, but if given the choice, I'd go for the sound.

Thanks for a great time, Colorado!

U2FloridaFan said:
Here's a quote from the Denver Post which suggests that Bono's voice (at least in Denver1) was assisted.

"The "oh you look so beautiful tonight" refrain from "City of Blinding Lights" was so much more than just a mating call or even a platonic compliment. It was a grand assertion of beauty, and together with the lights, the on-point instrumentation and Bono's celebrated voice - sounding as bold as ever, though it was sometimes assisted via a recorded track - the message was heard well beyond the Pepsi Center walls."

Here's a link to the complete article.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~28704~2827930,00.html

I haven't read the article yet and I haven't been to any concert yet, but I have them on disc and the first time I heard City of blinding lights, I was also wondering who was singing in the background, because to me it sounds like female voices singing along with Edge. No-one with me on this??

I personally think that the two Denver shows are the hands down best shows of the tour so far.

We managed to get 4 in the ellipse the first night, nothing the second, but had an amazing time. The show finally "got" me. I was overwhelmed in that good U2 way for the first time. Almost a different band than the shows in San Diego.

Met Bono outside prior to the show, shook his hand...

Great friends, great songs, great view...no waiting (for those of you debating...its not worth waiting if you have GA, you will enjoy the show so much more showing up at 7.)

I will be posting my 70 or so great pics that I got on Flickr here soon. Will provide a link once they are edited.

AMAZING SHOWS, AMAZING CITY. Best of the west.

Last edited:
A pair of fantastic shows for me. I had never seen An Cat Dubh > Into The Heart or The Ocean played live so that was very special for me.

Best U2 shows I've seen since Zoo TV.

greety said:

I haven't read the article yet and I haven't been to any concert yet, but I have them on disc and the first time I heard City of blinding lights, I was also wondering who was singing in the background, because to me it sounds like female voices singing along with Edge. No-one with me on this??

It wouldnt surprise me if there was some sort of very faint backing track with the 'wooohs' on COBL just to back up bono if he croaks - I just dont think his voice is good enough to handle them constantly at such a high quality...

Now I have just watched back both DVDs (bootlegs), and on both of the SD shows on the first Woohs Bono is smiling, now theres no way you can do a woooh and smile at the same time! (check out the DVDs you can clearly see his face both times for the first Woohs anyway)

mo786 said:

It wouldnt surprise me if there was some sort of very faint backing track with the 'wooohs' on COBL just to back up bono if he croaks - I just dont think his voice is good enough to handle them constantly at such a high quality...

Now I have just watched back both DVDs (bootlegs), and on both of the SD shows on the first Woohs Bono is smiling, now theres no way you can do a woooh and smile at the same time! (check out the DVDs you can clearly see his face both times for the first Woohs anyway)
but also edge is backing him up on that, which you can also see on the DVDS

Yeah, that reporter is confused. Like others have said, there are a number of added stuff when U2 plays live, mostly for sequences, and it sometimes includes backing vocals, like the 'Days' and 'Always" during Beautiful Day. But what that article suggest, is that Bono is assisted vocally by a back-up track, and that he would not always be singing live. That's completely wrong, no doubt about that. A lot of singers do have a backing track, that they either sing on top of or are replaced by it, especially when they're having a rough night. Almost all the singers who's career depend on their 'powerful' singing (Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, and almost all pop artists) do it.

But Bono does NOT use that, there is absolutely no doubt about it. He misses notes, sings the wrong words, is sometime not in tune with the band, and his voice is not always the strongest, but it's real singing, from start to finish. There is no question about it.

oceane said:
But Bono does NOT use that, there is absolutely no doubt about it. He misses notes, sings the wrong words, is sometime not in tune with the band, and his voice is not always the strongest, but it's real singing, from start to finish. There is no question about it.

U2's timing is not nearly enough of a given to allow for lead vocals to be dubbed. It is a ridiculous accusation and he should comment on his statement and state his evidence. (or lack there of)

Back
Top Bottom