April 15, Glendale Arena in Phoenix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jesse! :hug:
great to finally meet you--hope I see you at another show soon.
jesseu2 said:
sorry a bit late for this review but...

i got behind ep/ruffman/chiz who were on the rail.. was with mr an mrs diamond an his kids

i thought the second night blew the first night away by miles..

my top moments...

1. BAD!! BAD!! BAD!! BAD!!
2. i liked how bono's drumming from LAPOE went into SBS an bono was drumming with larry for a little bit at the same time during SBS intro.. that was fuckin cool!!
3. first time i heard Gloria live ever
4. running to stand still was played, i love this too
5. i thought the crowd, the sound, the atmosphere was all better than the first night.
6. in gods country snippet
7. bono doing pretend magic tricks
8. knowing the MW babe who got pulled up.. :)

all i can say is WOW! :up:

it was great meeting u all.. desert dog, chizzer, ruffman, u2valleygirl, joyfulgirl (who i will add to 'martha' an call u all the three martha's :lol:), an seeing familiar faces.. ep, martha, u2itnol, eliv8, an whoever else i'm forgetting

Jesse - it was great meeting you, u2valleygirl, ruffian, diamond, and editor in chief on Thursday. Pictures of the KZON bumper sticker girl will be posted on Wednesday!!

diamond said:
im just mad they havent sang any engleburt humperdank songs yet:angry:

:wink:

db9

Dave - You have the most impressive Engelbert Humpeldink CD & DVD collection I have ever seen. Puts my U2 collection to shame. (But I thought you wanted to keep this quiet)

jesseu2 said:
g

it was great meeting u all.. desert dog, chizzer, ruffman, u2valleygirl, joyfulgirl (who i will add to 'martha' an call u all the three martha's :lol:), an seeing familiar faces.. ep, martha, u2itnol, eliv8, an whoever else i'm forgetting

Great to meet you as well, jesse. :)

But who is the third martha? :hmm:

Eliv8 said:

Dave - You have the most impressive Engelbert Humpeldink CD & DVD collection I have ever seen. Puts my U2 collection to shame. (But I thought you wanted to keep this quiet)
:mad: shhhhhhhhhh:huh:

db9

diamond said:
the 3rd martha is cute but married.:mad: :wink:

db9
:laugh: I'm blushing.

I came back to the GA line on Friday to bring you and Jesse some Guiness but I guess you all were still in bed!

Well, I keep on re-living the concert in my head. Some moments of time just stand still. We are so lucky.

u2valleygirl said:
:Well, I keep on re-living the concert in my head.

I'll be reliving the concert over my home stereo system in a few hours. An audio bootleg recording of the concert was made available yesterday on the internet. I'm downloading now... 68% done. There'll also be a dvd video of the show available in the near future. With security being very lax entering the arena, quite a few camcorders found their way in. Including a pro-grade camcorder. That'll be a sweet dvd once that's been made available!

awesome, i downloaded bad and ive been listening to it over and over again, what a great performance of that song

cant wait for the dvd

it was surprising that they didnt even pat people down on the way in

U2ITNOL said:

I'll be reliving the concert over my home stereo system in a few hours. An audio bootleg recording of the concert was made available yesterday on the internet. I'm downloading now... 68% done. There'll also be a dvd video of the show available in the near future. With security being very lax entering the arena, quite a few camcorders found their way in. Including a pro-grade camcorder. That'll be a sweet dvd once that's been made available!

SWEET!:up:

I spoke too soon... my download of the show stopped at 82% earlier tonight. Whoever was "seeding" the torrent must be having internet problems. ah well, I'm sure I'll have it tomorrow.

GO SUNS!!!

I posted this review on a blog I run with a friend (onelouder.blogspot.com) :

Bono calls Phoenix a miracle city. I don't know about that, but U2 seems to always put on a miracle show in this town and Friday night was no exception. Besides the "Miracle Drug" and the presence of "Yahweh", it was a song about heroin, "Bad", that put this show among the best I've ever seen.

Now you might wonder what insanity would draw me from the East Coast (and its 50-odd upcoming U2 dates) out to the edges of Phoenix sprawl land to see U2 in an arena with or without a team crisscrossed by multi-lane avenues with no names.

But there's a personal history here. I grew up in Arizona. In the spring of 1987 I saw my first U2 show in Tempe. I was there for the opening night of the Joshua Tree tour when Bono lost his voice and the crowd sang the words to every song. I was there, when they played Sun Devil Stadium, filming a movie. Outside that stadium I got Bono's autograph on the back of a PopMart poster in 1997. Since that show in April of '87, I've seen at least one U2 show in Arizona on every tour that's come through that state.

So, last Friday found me back in the desert for my first taste of the Vertigo experience. The scene: Glendale Arena, built for the Phoenix Coyotes, the NHL ice hockey team. It snows in Phoenix maybe once every five years. The whole city would dry up and fly away if it weren't for water channeled from the Colorado River. The arena was packed with mythical red staters, with parents and kids, with day trippers from Mexico and California and beyond.

I barely paid attention to Kings of Leon. Sorry Coolfer. This was not the place to appreciate them. My brother and I were on the floor, shut out from inside the elliptical ramp by the luck of the laptop draw. Standing next to the entrance of this Promised Land, we witnessed one Eva Longoria look-alike after another attempt to bargain her way past the security. Money was offered, as were sexual favors.

Knowing we couldn't compete with that, we managed to push our way to within 10 feet of the ramp, left side, The Edge's side. The Arcade Fire's "Wake Up" blared over the PA, lights go down, confetti falls and suddenly it's the "City of Blinding Lights". "Beautiful Day" followed, with "Vertigo" on its heels. There was no time for breathing. The opening drum beats of "Gloria" pushed us old-timers closer and closer to religious experience territory.

Later, the moment arrived. For the first time on this tour U2 played the tune for me: "Bad". Now I have probably 30 or 40 versions of this song on my computer. There's one or two that I come back to: the Live Aid rendition still stands as the definitive. Add Friday's performance to it. An amazing, goose-flesh version. I've got an MP3 of it now, but I don't know if I'll listen to it. Repetition may take steal the glory from the memory.

Frankly, the rest of the show was a blur. The next day I was tired, sore and hoarse. That's the real sign you've enjoyed yourself at a show.

Last edited:
Another great show in Phoenix. My first U2 concert was in San Diego on the second night, dead center in the Bomb shelter. After that show, I knew I needed to go and see the Boys again. Well low and behold, after my Fiancé's ticket got scanned and denied, Vertigo flashed up for me again. The whole show was amazing again. Edge was definitely more into the show compared to San Diego. The crowd outside the bomb shelter seemed to have great energy, though much to my dismay the crowd inside the bomb shelter was weak. The amount of times some people take picture is amazing. It really kills the vibe when you are jumping around grooving to the band and everybody is around you just standing there and taking pictures. Bono at one point during the show look at the crowd with a little bit of disbelief on his face and said come on lets get up. All in all though it was another amazing show. Still thinking about getting tickets to Las Vegas and seeing really how lucky on Irish Boy can get ;) !

you got into the ellipse for 2 shows in a row?? you lucky sob.

let me ask you this, what times did you show up for the sd and phx shows, ive heard there is a better chance to beep if you show up later, but i dont know how true that it. so when did you show up?

Chizip - FYI, I dont know how true this is but when we were in the u2.com GA line on the 14th and almost in the door, a lady from security said that the tickets getting into the ellispe were preselected already and the scan would just verify them.

Chizip -I got to both shows around 5 oclock, though at the San Diego show I slide into the Fan Club line so I got into the show pretty fast. Yeah Iam pretty lucky, at the San Diego show they even let me bring in my Fiance and my brother. If any one is going to Las Vegas to see the show and needs a good luck charm to get into the Ellispe, I am your man ;)

seeeee!

it does help to show up late...

i will be in vegas, maybe i can rub your head for good luck or something :wink:

I tw as my first U2 concert, and let me just say :drool:
One of the funniest things was realizing that My friend & I were the only ones standing up the whole time [ in our section that I could see.. so everyone around us was sitting] i glanced around and said " We're the only ones standing Alli" she said " I dont care, We're seeing U2 LIVE!" Being 15 and a youngin, and seeing such a phenomenal thing live was truley life-altering.

Highlights:
1. Bad : Of Course, prolonged, and oozing of passion
2. Adam's many trips around the ellipse and Bono's teasing of him
3. Bono's Arizonan references " Cambelback mountain" etc.
4. City of blinding lights : When the light shone on the whole arena ; it was stunning to see the many people in unison say "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" Truely BEAUTIFUL.
5. Everything else:drool: :wink:

U2ElevatesMe415 said:
I tw as my first U2 concert, and let me just say :drool:
One of the funniest things was realizing that My friend & I were the only ones standing up the whole time [ in our section that I could see.. so everyone around us was sitting] i glanced around and said " We're the only ones standing Alli" she said " I dont care, We're seeing U2 LIVE!" Being 15 and a youngin, and seeing such a phenomenal thing live was truley life-altering.

Highlights:
1. Bad : Of Course, prolonged, and oozing of passion
2. Adam's many trips around the ellipse and Bono's teasing of him
3. Bono's Arizonan references " Cambelback mountain" etc.
4. City of blinding lights : When the light shone on the whole arena ; it was stunning to see the many people in unison say "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" Truely BEAUTIFUL.
5. Everything else:drool: :wink:

awww, that is so cute... :cute: my first U2 concert was Zoo TV when i was 14, so i totally relate to your experience! i am so glad that you had a blast!! :up:

hey who went to this show!!! i was listening SYCMOYO and i´ve heard some base guitar in the end of the song, just after bono scream " singggggggg...." , bono was playing guitar or it was a sample...:wink:

se ya

ny_atom said:
The whole city would dry up and fly away if it weren't for water channeled from the Colorado River. The arena was packed with mythical red staters, with parents and kids, with day trippers from Mexico and California and beyond.

great post, ny_atom.

it was indeed a magical show, in a very magical place. i drove to phoenix from just outside las vegas, leaving the colorado river behind me, and everything about my experience was simply miraculous, from the miles of towering saguaros along the highway, to the opening chords of bad.

from my great, unexpected fortune at being given the gift of four of the best seats in the house, to the joy and surprise on my daughter's face when the edge looked over at her and smiled.

from the spiky forest of joshua trees, to the dumb luck of waking up the next morning in a hotel room in phoenix and scoring two more tickets to las vegas.

there was a certain spirit in that arena on that warm, desert night. a spirit i just didn't feel in san diego - and haven't felt in seventeen years. even bono spent quite a few minutes remarking on how truly magical the desert can be, and those were some of my favorite things that he has ever said. it was almost like it could have been the joshua tree tour all over again...

...almost, but not quite.

Back
Top Bottom