22nd November, New York - Madison Square Garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was a great show, except I expected a lot more for the last night in NYC. Something was going on about the 30 min earlier start because they seemed to end the show abruptly at 11:15 even though they seemed to have at least one song left (judging by Monday's show). I thought they would have shaken things up a little more tonight, and frankly am a little disappointed. However, I did see UTEOTW for the first time tonight (on this tour) and thought it was absolutely fantastic, brought the house. I was just disappointed by the abrupt ending. Couldn't they have played one more????

i agree that the ending was abrupt. they were playing 'instant karma' with patti smith onstage, and it sounded great. then all of a sudden, bono grabs patti and they leave the stage. the rest of the band follows. we thought it was over, but then they all reappeared, did one more verse of 'instant karma', and then ended it for good.

i saw the setlist, and they cut "yahweh" and "40". i wonder why they had to get out of there so quickly??

it was a good show, but i personally think last night's was much better. but hey, it was still a fun night, and the band never really disappoints. :up:

I thought it was amazing, then again it was only my 2nd U2 show, but it seemed like they were going to come out again after the 2nd round of Instant Karma-I was a little disappointed that they didn't. When they went down the stairs with Patti at Instant Karma I could see Bono dancing around, waiting to go back up- it was funny. And what was with everyone dropping their phones in One- what happened to the song-long sway?

From u2tours.com, interesting comment:

Larry was particularly upbeat tonite and many times waved to his left with more energy than usual. He even blew a kiss in that direction... which made me take a closer look and VIOLA! there is his girlfriend/wife Ann... It was interesting to see him blow that kiss up to her... v. sweet.

Also from u2.com show review:

"You knew this was a pretty unusual support act when you saw at least three members of U2 surreptitiously enjoying her set from within the audience."

Whoa! Who was missing? I hope not Adam! But I have a gut feeling Adam was missing. I'll bet U2 were in the Ellispe! Anyone lucky enough to see them there?

GREAT show. Energy they had thru the first 4 tunes was electric. A little lull midway (one I've never seen in my 11 times I've seen 'em), but Bono picked it up heading into "Love & Peace". And by "lull" I mean that for the first time I sensed a somewhat disconnected crowd. Perhaps--as a previous post mentioned--people were expecting MORE for their last MSG/NYC show? Everything else was great! "Streets" was unreal, as usual....and Bono held his own very impressively taking on the Pavarotti part in "Miss Sarajevo". "Electric Co" was a nice, INCREDIBLE surprise. My only wish was that they would have played "Miracle Drug" and that they would have ended (as they frequently did) with "All Because of You", "Yahweh", and "40". Unfortunately, the previous night's show ended with "Bad". BUT, it was a great show, my tickets were free, and my girl was with me--NO COMPLAINTS, only some wishes!

Set list

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation (Crowd sang the first set of verses while only Edge played, then the rest kicked in)
Electric Co.
I Still Haven’t Found
Beautiful Day
Original of the Species
Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday (add "Rock the Casbah" bono-led crowd singalong)
Bullet The Blue Sky (SICK Edge solo)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets have no Name
One

Until the End of the World (Best song of the concert, in my opinion)
Mysterious Ways (Bono brought up a 12 or 13 y/o girl and gave her a piggyback ride to the mic)
With or Without You

Stuck in a Moment (again, dedicated this to Michael Hutchence as it also happened to be the 7th anniversay of his death)
Instant Karma

Last edited:
Great show however I too was a little surprised by the abrupt ending and same/shorter setlist as the night before...As usual this band can do no wrong in my book but I expected a liitle more for their last night at MSG

This show was great. I can't believe they closed with MOFO.

This show was amazing!

They played Lemon (to be used as a b-side for a future single), they did a medley of Who’s Gonna Ride your Wild Horses and Redemption Song, they played Dirty Day and Discotheque AND they called me up on stage to play guitar with them on the world premiere of Acrobat (acoustic version) It was…my life has changed cos of this show…

Although I felt that the opening act of the Polka U2 cover band ‘Accordion, Baby’ was a bit odd – but what can you do?

Can't wait for tonight's show!!!!

I was a little disappointed with the ending too. I thought they would end with something more significant since it was their last stop in NYC for the tour.

Even so, it was a great show. The best part was UTEOTW, especially when Edge ran around the ellipse. He was dynamic last night. He even stood on a box next to Larry, and Larry had a good laugh. He laughed a lot last night. The whole band was having fun. But Adam didn't seem to me as laid back as the others.Maybe that's why that reviewer didn't mention him when Patti Smith closed the show with the band?

U2girl said:
From u2tours.com, interesting comment:

Larry was particularly upbeat tonite and many times waved to his left with more energy than usual. He even blew a kiss in that direction... which made me take a closer look and VIOLA! there is his girlfriend/wife Ann... It was interesting to see him blow that kiss up to her... v. sweet.

That was my review :)

Here is my full (kind of) report... I had posted in Fan Exp. earlier...

I never complain about U2 or the shows but I have to say it was a little disappointing the way it ended. I had seen the set list and 40 was supposed to close, I even was expecting a little Party Girl and was just really surprised it ended after Instant Karma... just not like them to not end in a bigger way... oh well, ces't la vie

In case anyone noticed, My Boy Larry was particularly upbeat tonite and many times waved to his left with more energy than usual. He even blew a kiss in that direction... which made me take a closer look and VIOLA! there is The Lady Ann... I'd say in about section 74.. little white tank top & jeans... anyone else notice or get a photo? She was smiling alot (who wouldn't smile alot if Larry was sleeping next to them every night). It was interesting to see him blow that kiss up to her... v. sweet.

Not many celeb sightings as usual tonite, all I got was Charlie Rose.

All in all it was a fabulous night, as usual. Can't wait to see some of the photos you folks in the ellipse may have taken, hopefully I'll be able to spot myself

Can't wait for Baaaasss-ton, it will be wicked fun!

Shine on...

Last night was great! Some how, some way, my wife, Jill and I got right at the tip of the walkway (right by Larry’s Love & Peace drum)

First off, I have to say, Patti Smith blew me away. She was amazing and better than what I thought she would be. It was like watching a dangerous, caged animal with a beauty about it, prowl the stage and sing these amazing songs. And what was great was the audience slowly coming around to her and they realizing that in fact, Patti Smith and NOT 10,000 Maniacs wrote ‘because The Night’. Fantastic. Good spitter too.

Lights come up and we’re waiting…

Before the show, one of the security guards held up the setlist but we couldn’t see it, so one of the guys next to us zoomed in with his camera took a pic and we got a pre-show look at what was coming. Not too many surprises (other than Miracle Drug gone and Original in – but I’ve read that’s what has been happening) But, if I’m not mistaken, First Time and Bad were in there (Bad was supposed to finish)

So my wife, my 8 months pregnant wife, is up against the railing, I’m right behind her, and the show starts. Bono comes out, the confetti falls, and we’re off. Great start, not too many people pushing and shoving (by this time we had made friends with the people around us and they were all protective of her which is way beyond cool)

Highlights of the show – Bono looking at Jill during one of the verses for Stuck In A Moment. Me yelling at the girls next to me for smoking “I respect your right to smoke and all but A. It’s illegal to smoke in here and B. This woman is pregnant – so put it out!”

Original sounded fantastic.
May be one of the best versions of Until the end of the world I’ve ever seen/ heard.
Seeing Bono’s face when he hits those notes in Sometimes You Can’t…right up close – and knowing how much that song means to Jill in regards to her mom who passed away...it goes to show how music can be cathartic and healing.
Instant Karma rocked. Larry’s face during Instant Karma was priceless – he was a kid again playing with one of his idols. And the look he shared with Adam during the ‘drum solo’ part of the song was hysterical. Kind of said ‘Wow…that was...not good.” And then he laughed.

But THE highlight for me (and I’m sorry for the rambling here) – but the number one thing was when Jill took my hand during “I Still Haven’t Found” and put it on her belly and my baby was kicking along to the song… I’m a big ol wussy cos I teared up (I’m even tearing up a little writing this right now) but it was amazing that my baby was enjoying the concert as well…

One of the best U2 experiences I’ve ever had.

OK –I have to get back to work and do all the stuff I didn’t do yesterday since I was “out sick”

In regards to last nights strange finale I have a different take on it...

Towards the end of Instant KArama Bono got a brainstorm to leave the stage and have the audience carry the song and then maybe come back to finish it. However NOBODY KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING! He practically hauled PAtti off the stage, Edge, Larry and Adam looked totally clueless--and I think Edge looked a little miffed...and the aduience was lost. And when they came back Bono was gesturing madly to Larry ot kick the song back in--another case of the band having no clue what Bon was trying to do....

I think the encores were cut a bit short due to the band being a little annoyed at Bono's antics...

But aside from that bizarre ending the show rocked. 3rd and most likely final Vertigo show for me ended on a 99% positive note!

MLK was a fantastic surprise. In all I got to see about 5 or 6 songs that I hadn't seen on this tour yet---

Sur eI was hoping for an Out of Control, wild horses, or even discoteque but the show still rocked!

HelloAngel said:
Why are you being rude? I made a mistake, no reason to make a nasty face about it.

Isn't that what everyone says and does around here when there is a mistake?
:shrug:
In a sense, this place is no different than U2.com.

:|

Popmartijn said:

Isn't that what everyone says and does around here when there is a mistake?
:shrug:
In a sense, this place is no different than U2.com.

:|

That is truly unneccessary. I am sick, I wasn't thinking when I made the thread. I work my ass off around here. I am not providing a public service. U2.com is.

There is no reason to insult me just because you take offense that I deliriously made a mistake.

Really for the amount of info/use this foprum brings we should appreciate the folks who work hard to keep it together----

Post above says U2 was in the audience during Patti's opener? WTF? Can anyone confirm?

I didn't see them in the audience. I was in section 105, so I didn't see them in GA. There wasn't much of a crowd when Patti Smith was on, so if they were there, plenty of people would've seen them.

Pearl said:
I didn't see them in the audience. I was in section 105, so I didn't see them in GA. There wasn't much of a crowd when Patti Smith was on, so if they were there, plenty of people would've seen them.

yeah, i was in the ellipse and didn't see them. nor did any of my friends. however, there were a lot of celebs watching her: Michael Stipe, Charlie Rose, Jimmy Fallon, Ali Hewson, Helena Christiansen, and Sam (Larry's drum tech!). :wink:

i think if U2 had actually been in there, word would've spread like wildfire. maybe they were disguised...

Re: Re: 22nd November, New York - Madison Square Garden

Rafiennes said:
But THE highlight for me (and I’m sorry for the rambling here) – but the number one thing was when Jill took my hand during “I Still Haven’t Found” and put it on her belly and my baby was kicking along to the song… I’m a big ol wussy cos I teared up (I’m even tearing up a little writing this right now) but it was amazing that my baby was enjoying the concert as well…

One of the best U2 experiences I’ve ever had.

awwwww... :cute: :heart:

*Ally* said:

i think if U2 had actually been in there, word would've spread like wildfire. maybe they were disguised...

did you see anybody that looked like this?

20dae114.jpg

Back
Top Bottom