11 November 2006, Sydney Telstra Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazing show - slept out and i was very FIRST person in Ellipse - front row centre (with 16 friends we were all on the fence at the front - got so lucky). Amazing Show, Better than Sydney 1. They were happy and were hugging and giving each Hi-fives at the end of the first set as they had so obviously nailed it tonight in a BIG way. I never thought my ZooTV Sydney expereince could be matched, but this is now a close second!

Was lucky enough to get the on-stage set-list from one of the roadies!!

KorovaMilkBar said:
Amazing show - slept out and i was very FIRST person in Ellipse - front row centre (with 16 friends we were all on the fence at the front - got so lucky). Amazing Show, Better than Sydney 1. They were happy and were hugging and giving each Hi-fives at the end of the first set as they had so obviously nailed it tonight in a BIG way. I never thought my ZooTV Sydney expereince could be matched, but this is now a close second!

Was lucky enough to get the on-stage set-list from one of the roadies!!

Yes, great show. Bono stuffed up a few lines in Elevation (and at one point he seemed to be out of tune - lol) but who cares!?! I was so surprised that my favourite for the night was Still Haven't Found. It was so emotional and beautifully sung.

I thought Bono didn't move around that much and that the B-stages were underutilised but his singing was sensational. Incredible singing.

Nice to see In A LIttle while tacked onto Found. But they didn't play Bad - not that it was expected.

Can't say whether i prefered having Desire over Angel - singing was great and Bono really got into it, but i think Angel would have worked better from an audience participation point of view.

Personally i would have preferred Yahweh to Stuck but it was sung absolutely beautifully and the crowd loved it

Miss Sarajevo was a show stopper - in the best of ways. Everyone was dead quiet, no talking - just fixed concentration even in position at the back. It works brilliantly. The crowd went beserk over the UDHR - surprising but great.

Not only did he dedicate SBS to the Bali bombing victims (dozens came from SYdney) he said it is now "your song". Having lost my best mate in the bombing who's favourite U2 song was SBS was great.

I was hanging out for Zoo Station but i was slightly dissappointed. It sounded very muddy and although I liked the drum treatments, it seemed to smoother everything else inluding the melody. The Fly was amazing - they are such a great band. Loved Kite - great emotional closer. What was Bono saying about Cate Blanchett (Sydney resident)???

I was towards the back of the stalls and everyone around us was into it and although most were sitting for the first half everyone was singing and cheering away the whole time. I was gearing up for dissappointment as I saw the Stones from a similar position earlier this year and it was lousy. THe band themselves were great but the sound was rubbish - and the crowd was flat. But U2 simply put on better shows that the Stones. The Stones are just great party songs all in a row. U2 is a much more emotional and spiritually deepers experience .

Saints was fantastic. Really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Yep - agree the B stages underutilised. Suited me as I was up front tonight - well worth days of sleeping out.

My fourth U2 tour and I just loved it.
It was loud and where I was sitting, the sound was great. Agree with the other comments, the B stage was not used enough.
A good selection of songs, (a very small change from the 1st night) and remembering not all songs will please everyone, but yep I was sorry not to see Yahweh live but was glad that Desire replaced Angel of Harlem. See already different views with the above comments.
The crowd was great and you got the impression that the band was just enjoying themselves.
Now my ears are still ringing and I am a tad brain dead at 1.30am, but very happy after 8 years of waiting.

AMAZING SHOW. The best of the 3 so far. Setlist changes were awesome, although it is becoming a little too much of a 'greatest hits' setlist. But ISHFWILF with IALW snippeted was nice. I was up close in the fenced off section and I don't think that snippet was planned. It came after a little pow-wow between the 4 of them at the end of ISHFWILF. Same with Desire instead of Angel Of Harlem. It was obviously unplanned and I'm guessing unrehearsed since Bono was calling out cues for the band all the way through.

The crowd tonight were ON FIRE compared to the first Sydney show. The equal of the Brisbane show. Granted this was my only GA of the 3 shows so maybe I'm reacting based on GA tonight vs. reserved seating for the other two nights.

Anyway I reckon the best of the 3 shows by far. Will be interesting to see what Sydney 3 brings. I really want to hear Bad, All I Want Is You and All Because of You. I'm *expecting* at least two of them in Sydney 3. I have given up on a closer of Bad and 40 (full version) since Kite seems to be locked in as the closer. I don't think it works to be honest. After seeing it at 3 shows now it is a 'flat' closer because nobody seems to know it. You'd think with a setlist so full of jukebox songs they'd find a way to play one of those last and then people would leave on a high.

I'm pumped! 3 shows done... 4 to go!

KorovaMilkBar said:
Yep - agree the B stages underutilised. Suited me as I was up front tonight - well worth days of sleeping out.
I've seen all 3 shows and the B stages were used the same in all 3 so just to set your mind at rest you weren't short changed tonight.

I agree though they are under utilised. Bono should come out more. Adam is very adventurous, he spends time on both. Edge spends time mainly on his side and he's needed on piano at times and has to operate his foot switches and sing too to it's hard for him to spend any more time out there. Bono is the culprit! Lazy Bono. But tonight his singing was fantastic so criticism is not fair.

AndrewCowley said:

I've seen all 3 shows and the B stages were used the same in all 3 so just to set your mind at rest you weren't short changed tonight.

I agree though they are under utilised. Bono should come out more. Adam is very adventurous, he spends time on both. Edge spends time mainly on his side and he's needed on piano at times and has to operate his foot switches and sing too to it's hard for him to spend any more time out there. Bono is the culprit! Lazy Bono. But tonight his singing was fantastic so criticism is not fair.

His singing was incredible. Did anyone find Zoo Station "muddy"? ALthough the drums were different. And at one stage, Bono's quarter of the big screen was shaking madly really annoying. WOWY saw no great visual performance from Bono (and that general's hat should be removed for that song) but the sound was FAT and solid. Loved it.

And let me say again - i really enjoyed Saints. Lots of fun.

The Lalat said:

His singing was incredible. Did anyone find Zoo Station "muddy"? ALthough the drums were different. And at one stage, Bono's quarter of the big screen was shaking madly really annoying. WOWY saw no great visual performance from Bono (and that general's hat should be removed for that song) but the sound was FAT and solid. Loved it.

And let me say again - i really enjoyed Saints. Lots of fun.
Agreed about Bono's voice tonight... ON FIRE.

Zoo Station to me sounded great. Actually it is almost the highlight for me. Massive massive sound. Larry's drums sound HUGE and Edge just does the Edge thing which is earth shattering. The Fly is the same.

I vote for Zoo Station + The Fly as U2's best ever encore! I'll say it again... earth shattering.

I love the way the show was described as earth shattering, I have said before the earth has moved for me at many a show.

Rochelle, Happy for you that you had a blast, you will never forget it! Did the earth move for you too? :wink:

Down Under said:
My fourth U2 tour and I just loved it.
It was loud and where I was sitting, the sound was great. Agree with the other comments, the B stage was not used enough.
A good selection of songs, (a very small change from the 1st night) and remembering not all songs will please everyone, but yep I was sorry not to see Yahweh live but was glad that Desire replaced Angel of Harlem. See already different views with the above comments.
The crowd was great and you got the impression that the band was just enjoying themselves.
Now my ears are still ringing and I am a tad brain dead at 1.30am, but very happy after 8 years of waiting.

:hyper:

I'm really glad you enjoyed yourself !
Hopefully they don't take another 8 years to come back Down Under :wink:

This show was amazing!!! I enjoyed it a bit more than Sydney I, although I'm not sure if that's because I was closer!

I LOVED the song changes too. I was expecting to hear the same setlist as Friday night, so was very pleased to hear the changes.

It was an excellent show! :happy:

Agreed. Best show out of the 3 so far. It was one of those great U2 religious experiences! The band played great and the setlist changes were nice. Still Havent Found was a great suprise, as was Desire.

He released the kite from the main stage this time in Kite as it got caught on the screen at Sydney 1 and got close to being caught at Brisbane. Some people tried to pull it into the audience which was pretty bad and the look on Bono's face could have killed!

Overally, top show...cant wait for Monday night and all the boots!

Can I also add...

Bono has mentioned at both shows how good Sydney is at 'Coexisting'. This has got very little crowd reaction...and for good reason! Im sure all Sydneysiders have the Cronulla riots (and Redfern riots for that matter!) still fresh in their minds. It seems Bono hasnt done his research on this one for once!

bono_man said:
Can I also add...

Bono has mentioned at both shows how good Sydney is at 'Coexisting'. This has got very little crowd reaction...and for good reason! Im sure all Sydneysiders have the Cronulla riots (and Redfern riots for that matter!) still fresh in their minds. It seems Bono hasnt done his research on this one for once!
Agreed. Funny thing is weren't the original Sydney shows scheduled to happen just after when the Cronulla riots took place? Would be been interesting to see if Bono had given us the coexist messsage hot on the heels of those riots.

bono_man said:
Can I also add...

On the other hand, perhaps he knew all too well about Cronulla, and it was intended as an affirmation of Sydney coexisting well. It does have along with Melbourne the highest levels of ethnic diversity in the country. And by saying we do coexist is a way of making a point.

Furthermore, it was fairly unclear what he was saying and most people where i was couldn't hear the SBS speeches (the SYdney reference was about the only thing i coudl make out).

Just got home from catching the concert last night in Sydney. It was the first of my 3 shows, with Melbourne x 2 next weekend. I decided to get seats for this one, and the show was fucking amazing. I have been waiting for this since i was 10 or so, having not been old enough to go to the last tour. 9 years was a long wait, but it sure as hell was worth it.

Kanye - I dont listen to a whole load of new rap, but Kanye was alright. many lols at the backup singer, she sure was getting the attention of the camera crew!

U2 - Insanely fun. Played what i expected, including Desire. It was pretty much a stock setlist, but so much fun.

Production - the sound quality was great, it pays to have good designers. The stage was huge, and the lighting was great.

The Crowd - i got stuck in between some asian nerd investment banker types and this American lady who was a huge fan. It looked fun down the front, hopefully i will get in the front this weekend.

www.myspace.com/auslive has a boot up already

This show was great. IMO better than the first.

Musically (for you fools that care) it was a much cleaner performance. I agree Zoo sounded a bit off. Bono was in great form and very few bum notes.

The emotion was incredible. The crowd were much more into it I think. Difficult to compare when sat in two different areas of the ground I know, but it didn't see half the number of corporate tickets and members who were just there to find out what all the fuss has been about.

Desire is one of may favourite tracks of all time and I've just started to like Kite.

Great show, great crowd. Thankyou Sydney.

Hi folks

Long time reader, first time poster...

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with most people.

I thought the sound was quite possibly the worst I've ever heard at a major gig. The band was muddy and reverb-heavy with no definition or clarity. When Bono spoke during in between songs I couldn't hear a word he said. VERY disappointing!

From what I could discern, the band seemed to be playing well, but there were several songs that fell flat - Miss Sarejevo, Stuck in a Moment, Sometimes were the chief offenders. Kite was a bit of a nothing ending too. WOWY and BTBS were a long way off where they should have been. Time to give these stalwarts a long rest (as much as a I love them...) - if you can't allow a song to reach its full potential, then don't do it.

The staging was incredible though - nobody does a stadium show like U2. Crowd was fairly good too.

totally disagreeing with above poster!

Stuck was the most amazing moment....a chorus of people singing around me...magical.

Both nights were amazing....the hottest fucking thing i've ever seen. I can honestly not describe how i felt during the two concerts...just mind blowing.

Bring on melbourne!!!

BobaFett said:
Hi folks

Long time reader, first time poster...

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with most people.

I thought the sound was quite possibly the worst I've ever heard at a major gig. The band was muddy and reverb-heavy with no definition or clarity. When Bono spoke during in between songs I couldn't hear a word he said. VERY disappointing!

From what I could discern, the band seemed to be playing well, but there were several songs that fell flat - Miss Sarejevo, Stuck in a Moment, Sometimes were the chief offenders. Kite was a bit of a nothing ending too. WOWY and BTBS were a long way off where they should have been. Time to give these stalwarts a long rest (as much as a I love them...) - if you can't allow a song to reach its full potential, then don't do it.

The staging was incredible though - nobody does a stadium show like U2. Crowd was fairly good too.

Can i ask where you were sitting?

I was sitting in the level above the boxes, about halfway back. Level 4, section 408 to be precise. Which was great to watch the show, but for some reason the sound was dreadful. It may have had something to do with the repeater speaker stacks that were in line with our seats - maybe they were competing with the main speaker stacks at the front?

I've been to every U2 tour of Australia, and this was by far the worst sound I've experienced in all those years. Under Australian Skies and Lovetown in the Sydney Entertainment Centre, Zoomerang at the ANZ Stadium in Brisbane and PopMart at the Sydney Football Stadium. All great shows with good sound.

The odd thing for me was that U2 have been playing stadiums for twenty years - I would have thought they would know how to get it right by now.

I don't want to disagree with anyone else's experience - if you had a great time then that is awesome. All I can say is what I experienced. I've spoken to enough people who went to the same show (but in different parts of the stadium) who also reported the sound was less than stellar to make me think it wasn't just me...

I've heard that there were a few areas that the sound echoed and sounded pretty bad. My mum and brother were on the flats (seated) way at the back and they said the sound was fantastic. I was about a meter from the walkway and for all I know, I could've been listening to DVD quality sound. Aside from the few thousand people screaming around me.

This was my U2 first concert, so I didn't have any other experiences to compare it to, but that was one of the best experiences of my life. I've never had so much fun, sung so loud, hurt so much but been so completely and utterly elevated before. The music was pretty well faultless (aside from Bono's few lyrical mix-ups, but hey, at least he laughed about them), the video/audio/stage was amazing and the crowd (at least around me) was unbelievable. It was really great to go to a concert where there was no crushing, no pushing and no arguments, and everyone still had a great time.

Took me over a day to get down, hours of waiting in the boiling hot sun, then more in the stadium...

But SO WORTH IT.

And all of that was made a thousand times more enjoyable by the fact I finished my HSC (final exams for non-Aussies) the day before.

Last edited:
dazzlingamy said:
totally disagreeing with above poster!

Stuck was the most amazing moment....a chorus of people singing around me...magical.

Both nights were amazing....the hottest fucking thing i've ever seen. I can honestly not describe how i felt during the two concerts...just mind blowing.

Bring on melbourne!!!
just listend to the boot, and going by what i hear there, i didnt hear any "wet blankets" could hear people singing along to stuck, amd miss sarajevo got a great reaction

was at sydney II, my first U2 show. managed to get right up front of the stage in the ellipse. well worth waiting since 11am even though the weather was a killer.

didn't have problems with the sound as I was right in front. bono's voice was spot on but he flubbed a couple of lyrics. totally forgivable though. :wink:

"we drank the wine... uh we drank the wine" was funny when he was doing UTEOFW.

yeah bono looked like he was about to shit himself when someone from the crowd got hold of the kite before it was about to fly off. good thing they let it good.

dissapointed he didn't pull anyone up from the crowd for WOWY. and he didn't do the "shine like stars" verse.

but altogether great experience. full credit to them.

uh yeah and if elouise reads this... PLS SEND ASHER THE PHOTOS! :wink:

I went to the first concert.. i really really loved it, even thou i was shit seating rite up in nose bleed section lol.
i couldnt hear him talking it was all mumble and zoo station thats sounded shit :( mabye it would of been better if i ahd better seats, but all up i loved KITE.. how dont people no KITE ?? its one of the best he has ever wrote... WOWY was great abit off track but arhh well you get that... it was still perfect..... i loved the songs they palyed.. but all i want is you should have been played but wat can ya do..
i also went to the 2nd concert on saturday nite... the song changes were great.. suited well i thought.. desire wif the harmonica was awsone.... kite was awsome...
it was the best time of my life.. and i hope it dont take 8 years from em to cum bak to DOWN UNDER !!!!!! really really loved it.. have fun at all your other concerts . wowow best concert ive even seen

Back
Top Bottom