11 November 2006, Sydney Telstra Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From listening to the boot, the version of UTTEOTW is my favorite of the tour. I haven't liked any of the Vertigo Tour versions I've heard because I don't like his singing style of it (I don't give a damn how high he hits the "love, love, love", so don't give me that garbage excuse).

But the version from this night is awesome! Especially the way he sings the 2nd verse, it sounds like Zoo TV.

Just thought I'd share my view on the night

We got to the stadium and joined the line about 2pm (quite late considering), but surprisingly the line wasn't that long and we only had about 250 – 300 people in front of us. We met some friendly people and there was a great communal atmosphere. It must have been a little past 4 I heard the sound checks being run inside and I got this bizarre feeling. I couldn't believe it I was right outside ready to see one of the biggest rock concert ever!

After waiting in the heat of the day we were given the ultimate reward, FRONT ROW AT A U2 CONCERT – it doesn't get any better than that. I didn't expect to get some close. We were basically in ADAM's lap and frequently only meters from BONO.

The crowd was electric, the atmosphere was great and the stadium was an awesome sight.

After Kanye West it appeared that Dallas (EDGE's Guitar Tech) was having problems with EDGE's effect pedals, but that didn't bother the crowd which kept itself amused with about 20 beach balls and a great Mexican Wave that went around the stadium like 6 times.

Stuart Morgan (ADAM's Bass Tech) was all smiles as he sound checked one of the ramps. While Sam O'Sullivan (LARRY's Drum Tech) asked a father if he would like ear plugs for his daughter – she looked about 5. It just goes to show that these people really do care about their audience.

When Arcade Fire's 'Wake Up' started (at 8:45) and the lights went out the crowd went off. Then I saw the silhouettes of EDGE, ADAM and Larry and it finally sunk in. I was about to hear U2 play live! I got goosebumps. The tension was released when EDGE's guitar signalled the start of City Of Blinding Lights.

CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS

Seeing BONO for the first time draped in an Australian flag is something I will never forget. With 2000 fans (that 1999 + me) near the stage pointing at BONO in time with 'Oh, You Look SO Beautiful Tonight' I knew this was going to be a special night.

VERTIGO

The band built on City Of Blinding Lights and had the crowd singing along to Vertigo which contained a snippet of 'She Loves You' at the end. The boys completely blew the roof of the place and all four of them had smiles upon their faces it was phenomenal.

ELEVATION

The first three songs sounded great and the energy of the crowd was something else. During elevation BONO attempted to sing a piece of Kylie's 'Spinning Around'. I say attempted as it seemed like BONO didn't really know the words.

UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD

This song had EDGE throwing some great ROCKSTAR poses and he absolutely ripped out an enormous solo. He was on FIRE and the crowd loved every moment of it.

NEW YEAR'S DAY

ADAM owned this one, supporting a massive smile on his face as he made his way down the catwalk to the b-stage, giving high-fives to fans as he made his way back to the main stage after the song.

BEAUTIFUL DAY

Beautiful Day went for like 8 minutes, I swear, it just kept going. BONO sang 'Hallelujah' over the outro and then snippets of 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band' and 'Blackbird', it was amazing. During the bridge BONO Australianised the song changing the lyrics which really got the crowd going.

I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR

This was huge, with BONO calling the shots, the crowd was invited to 'Take it to the church'. With 75 000 + people clapping and singing along it was simply stunning. At the end of the song BONO took control again and they played a section of 'IN A LITTLE WHILE' – it was great.

STUCK IN A MOMENT YOU CAN'T GET OUT OF

This was a beautiful dedication to a 'Great Man' (Michael Hutchence), it was wonderful, warm version, with BONO claiming it was a 'bitch' of a song, meaning the content of the lyrics, not the song itself.

SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN

As normal BONO's glasses came off for this one and he sung it like his father was right there. A snippet of 'Torna a Surriento' was sung at the end. BONO absolutely nailed this song. I loved the beauty of the 'big' notes at the end. I also phoned Emma and she listened to it over the phone, she said it sounded amazing.

LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE!

This contained another killer solo from EDGE and BONO putting the COEXIST bandanna on his head. LARRY walked down our catwalk and happily waved, with a beautiful smile upon his face and he seemed to be having a great night. BONO and LARRY together on the b-stage, there was some magic there. And BONO's drumming is breath taking live, such a build up of energy.

SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY

With BONO's drumming at the end of LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE! continuing, then leading into SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY, a great transition. With BONO walking past ME yet again to get back to the stage. SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY was mammoth (complete with the FATHER ABRAHAM part), the crowd loved it and EDGE delivered another great solo and a showcase of LARRY's drumming in both LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE! as well as this song.

BULLET THE BLUE SKY

BULLET THE BLUE SKY came next and contained yet another killer solo by EDGE which proved he was right on form. The man truly was on FIRE all night, he was having a fantastic time. Watching BONO walk blind with his COEXIST bandanna pulled over his eyes right past us down the catwalk was extremely intense. Pulling himself up the microphone stand, stunning. The end of this number included snippets of 'WHEN JOHNNY COMES MARSHING HOME' and 'THE HANDS THAT BUILT AMERICA'.

MISS SARAJEVO

BONO stayed out on the b-stage for this one and dedicated it to the Australian Troops over in Iraq. MISS SARAJEVO proved another highlight with BONO hitting the 'big' notes in the Pavarotti section. This sent chills down the spines of many in the audience, I know I melt when BONO delivers the 'big' notes with his beautiful voice. At the end of MISS SARAJEVO a number of Human Rights were read out and appeared behind the boys on the light curtain. There was also another photo opportunity as BONO walked back to the stage.

PRIDE (IN THE NAME OF LOVE)

PRIDE proved a crowd favourite, the energy still flowing. With BONO pushing the crowd to continue the chant as he preached to us 'From Sydney, Australia, to Nelson Mandela's Africa', the crows was pumped and took the challenge and kept the chant going. It was one of many times when the stadium became one.

WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME

Where do I start? THE STREETS was awesome, the crowd was right into it and if there was a roof over the stadium this song would have blown it clean off. I can't describe the electricity in this song. Everyone, (Band and audience, especially us near the stage) was on FIRE! BONO did his traditional African – style vocals, captivating. Both the crowd and BONO went nuts after THE STREETS with BONO saying 'Wow, What was that!?!, Whatever it was I want some more of that!'. To anyone who hears this exact version from the night you will know what I mean. BONO genuinely enjoyed himself. Unforgettable!

ONE

The last song on the main set-list, the mobile phone trick with ONE is well known among fans – being urged to send your name via text to 191221 (if your in Australia give it a go). The names of thousands who sent a text then filled the screen at the end of the show. But it was truly breath taking, the sight of thousands of flicking mobile lights around the stadium as BONO proclaimed 'a Christmas tree, though a little early.' You had to be there.

FIRST ENCORE

ZOO STATION

The first encore started of with ZOO STATION which was fantastic. BONO started singing about a metre away from me, and really worked the catwalk, I have some great footage.

THE FLY

THE FLY followed ZOO STATION which provided a great visual overload with thousands of word flashing on the screen behind the boys. Proving to be an exciting rendition received well by a still ecstatic crowd.

WITH OR WITHOUT YOU

The last song of the first encore was WITH OR WITHOUT YOU, when the intro riff began many felt overcome. A great song performed so well – astonishing. BONO added a snippet of 'Never Tear Us Apart', yet when he added a piece of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' there wasn't a dry eye in the house, it was beautiful.

SECOND ENCORE

THE SAINTS ARE COMING

The boys gave the fans a real treat when they came back on for a second encore. THE SAINTS was fun and more energy filled than I thought it would be. Everyone knew the words – well everyone near me did. It sounded great even if BONO said 'It's only the third time we've played this song.' At least he knew the words.

DESIRE

DESIRE on the other hand, played many a-times, was just not quite the same. DESIRE was a 'jam' with BONO taking the song where the wanted it to go – Yet he still managed to mess up the bridge. But that's the beauty of going to a live show, it actually made the song all the more special. It was a fun version and simply great for the fact it was impromptu. With BONO proclaiming at the end 'Not a bad little version.', Also adding in pieces of 'Not Fade Away' and 'Gold Digger'.

KITE

The very last song of the evening, KITE featured the son of an Aboriginal elder playing the didgeridoo which gave it a local and unique feel. It was beautifully magical. There was a colourful kite held up by helium balloons which BONO dedicated to Cate Blanchette as he let it fly. As the Kite was set free I wonder if BONO and the boys realise just how heavily they impacted the memories of 75 000+ U2 fans.

I KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT GOOD-BYE.

Full credit to Willie Williams (Show Designer) the lights were fantastic and it was visually sensual. From Aboriginal Art to Human Rights and the walking man during SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN.

Great job Willie

I loved being so close, being able to see all the little expressions as well as the interactions between the boys on stage, BONO really does call the shots. It really was worth every minute of waiting in the hot sun, I'd do it all over again without a second thought. I can't wait to see U2 live again.

At the end of a long show I could have easily listened to them for the rest of the night.

EDGE

EDGE totally ROCKED, he went off – having his family in the house may have had something to do with it. He was fantastic ripping out mind blowing solos in PRID, BULLET THE BLUE SKY and THE STREETS, amazing. I will always remember the sound of his voice and his guitar work from the night.

LARRY

He happily waved to the crowd from the ramps, and clearly enjoyed himself especially during LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE! looking at ease as he made his way back to the stage from playing out on b-stage.

ADAM

ADAM was all smiles too. Venturing down the catwalk a few times and exploding through NEW YEAR'S DAY. He twice let a girl touch his bass while he was playing and later gave her his guitar pick.

BONO

What can I say? The man was having a ball, hitting the 'big' notes during MISS SARAJEVO and SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN. His voice was simply dynamic, the best I've heard him

U2 were everything I always knew they were – THE GREATEST ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD.

From the opening of CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS to the finale KITE the boys had 75 000 + fans in the palms of their hands.

LET'S HOPE THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT GOOD-BYE!

Unbelievable show. I saw all 5 sydney and melbourne shows, but this is the one i am thinking about more that the rest.
My first ever GA show, I reached the venue at 1130 am, and got a great spot close to the stage and between the two B stages.
Imagine my ecstacy to see Bono almost next to me at the start of the breathtaking City of blinding lights, and then the huge stadium explode in a walll of sound and light and 75000 plus rocked to the great HTDAAB tune. I preferred the set of the previous night, but it was great tohear stuck ala elevation as opposed to an acoustic performance. The boys were on top form, and they treated us to an unforgettable night. Its hard to pick standouts, but lemme give it a try -
Until the end of the world
beautiful day
where the streets have no name

Back
Top Bottom