Yokohama 2? Hawaii 2? Buenos Aires 3? RIO 1?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So obviously there will not be a 2nd show at the Aloha Stadium due to slow ticket sales. We are 99% sure of that at this point.

What about Buenos Aires 3? I heard the promotor wanted a 3rd show. A 3rd show would sell out in no time, as would a 4th show in Argentina. Also, 2 shows in Sao Paulo doesn't fill the demand in Brazil by a long shot. I would have figured at least do a show in Rio. Any news on this?

And what's the status on the Japanese show(s). I haven't heard anything about it. Is it selling poorly? Will there be a 2nd show? Just curious.

From what I have seen, there are not going to be any additional shows. While its true U2 could add many shows in the places you listed, they could also still add shows in the United States and Europe as well.

I was laso wondering about Japan. i couldn't make the announced show as I fly back to Australia on that day - but was hoping they would annoucne a second show that would be the previous night if you get my drift... Hang on, I just confused myself there.

Someone a while ago said that there's going to be 19 shows on the leg, though I've no idea where they got that info from.

At the moment, we're at 18. So either Japan II or Argentina III and that's it, if indeed 19 is the correct amount.

Axver said:
Someone a while ago said that there's going to be 19 shows on the leg, though I've no idea where they got that info from.

At the moment, we're at 18. So either Japan II or Argentina III and that's it, if indeed 19 is the correct amount.
I suspect the 19th show was probably Hawaii 2.

cleazer said:
I suspect the 19th show was probably Hawaii 2.

Only one in Japan, though? Seems odd to me. They've always been able to support at least two there in the past.

I think Japan 2 is most likely. The sales are not going slow, the system is just some weird lottery, so even though they're sold out the tickets aren't distributed to everyone. Again, there's seats for 80000+ (minus one side, plus GA floor) and probably 90.000 tickets. Dunno if it's sufficient.

That the band has only schedule one Japanese show struck me as odd too. They played two there in both Zoo TV and Popmart. It seems they could add one on April 5th without too much trouble (assuming the venue is free) and still have 2 days off before the Hawaii show.

And what is the latest on Hawaii ticket sales? It'd be a real bummer to basically sell out an entire huge tour and see a bunch of empty seats at the finale....

The last time U2 played Japan on POPMART, the results were:

Tokyo March 5, 1998 Tokyo Dome GROSS: $2,439,230 ATTENDANCE: 34,265 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 0

Osaka March 11, 1998 Osaka Dome GROSS: $1,404,722 ATTENDANCE: 19,735 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 0

If they anticipate a similar level of demand this time, it might make more sense to play one show and actually sellout the venue.

Though U2's bigger today because of their last 2 albums than they were with Pop (and the Vertigo Tour has received much higher marks than Popmart). But, still a reasonable point.

I just hope they sellout that one and the Hawaii gig.

STING2 said:
The last time U2 played Japan on POPMART, the results were:

Tokyo March 5, 1998 Tokyo Dome GROSS: $2,439,230 ATTENDANCE: 34,265 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 0

Osaka March 11, 1998 Osaka Dome GROSS: $1,404,722 ATTENDANCE: 19,735 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 0

If they anticipate a similar level of demand this time, it might make more sense to play one show and actually sellout the venue.

Yeah, but again, think of what happened in the US during Popmart. All sell-outs now. I don't think you can compare anything with Popmart; if you do you might as well advise U2 never to tour again outside Europe and South America...

Here's to hoping for a second Yokohama show. Especially because I'll be there.

Am I just inventing a memory of reading something that doesn't actually exist, or wasn't Pop U2's best selling album in Japan?

I could've sworn it had performed extremely well on a list someone posted of U2's album sales in Japan.

jon_lemire said:
Though U2's bigger today because of their last 2 albums than they were with Pop (and the Vertigo Tour has received much higher marks than Popmart). But, still a reasonable point.

I just hope they sellout that one and the Hawaii gig.

We don't know WHAT'S going on with the Hawaii Gig. Ticket sales were slow despite Presale, then the show was listed as Sold Out, yet tickets were still showing up on TM in groups, then pairs, then singles then nothing! Over this weekend somehow there was another ticket dump and even GAs were readily available. :confused: :shrug:

God Part III said:

Yeah, but again, think of what happened in the US during Popmart. All sell-outs now. I don't think you can compare anything with Popmart; if you do you might as well advise U2 never to tour again outside Europe and South America...

Here's to hoping for a second Yokohama show. Especially because I'll be there.

The Situation in the United States was much better than Japan or even Australia on POPMART. Several shows in the big US cities actually soldout, and many others had good, but not great attendance.

Axver said:
Am I just inventing a memory of reading something that doesn't actually exist, or wasn't Pop U2's best selling album in Japan?

I could've sworn it had performed extremely well on a list someone posted of U2's album sales in Japan.

Your memory is correct, although I think the list might have been inaccurate about the early albums. Regardless, the concert stats are official figures from amusement business. Overall, Japan is one of the weaker markets for U2.

U2Smilzz said:
You cans till get tickets for the aussie shows....

Thats only because another batch of tickets was recently put on sale.

It shows the demand isnt that massively high tho, Melbourne has been available for two weeks now..... After originally "Selling Out" in a matter of hours

U2Smilzz said:
It shows the demand isnt that massively high tho, Melbourne has been available for two weeks now..... After originally "Selling Out" in a matter of hours

Can you name another foreign artist that has soldout the Telstra Dome twice at these ticket prices without help from any support acts?

I think many people don't realize there are additional tickets on sale. At the rate tickets soldout earlier, the band could have added another show in most of these cities.

U2 have already sold more tickets on this particular tour in Australia than on any other previous tour. They will also get the GROSS record for a tour of Australia I think.

What did Dennis Sheehan say about the Hawaii show? I can't find any quotes from him.

More South American dates seem very unlikely at this point. The 2nd Hawaii show also seems unlikely. If they would've just put both shows on sale a month ago, they'd both be sold out by April. I don't think anybody knows about the 2nd Japan show. Seems like a waste to drag everything to Japan for just 1 show, then over to Hawaii for just one show.

Maybe the reason for no more shows being added in Argentina and Japan is because the Stones will be in town around the same time frame in both places, and there's just not enough money to be spent on more concerts. Who knows?

STING2 said:

Can you name another foreign artist that has soldout the Telstra Dome twice at these ticket prices without help from any support acts?

I think many people don't realize there are additional tickets on sale. At the rate tickets soldout earlier, the band could have added another show in most of these cities.

U2 have already sold more tickets on this particular tour in Australia than on any other previous tour. They will also get the GROSS record for a tour of Australia I think.

Actually thats a good point. Sydney, Adelaide and Brizzy all advertised there were tickets available... I wonder why Melbourne was kept it quiet... Its even stranger that you cant access the u2 tickets from the homepage.......

I spoke to Craig Evans from TNA outside the stadium in Sao Paulo just before they opened the gates. He confirmed to me that Hawaii will be 1 show only. He said they had considered a second date but will not do it. He also said no U2 for the New Orleans Jazzfest, then said at least they (TNA) were not involved with that.

Craig is someone many of you will have seen at shows. Those who attended the L.A. dress rehearsal will remember him as the one who was in charge of letting in the fans waiting outside.

Unfortunately I am missing the second Sao Paulo show due to severe sunburn. :-(

The_acrobat said:
So obviously there will not be a 2nd show at the Aloha Stadium due to slow ticket sales. We are 99% sure of that at this point.

What about Buenos Aires 3? I heard the promotor wanted a 3rd show. A 3rd show would sell out in no time, as would a 4th show in Argentina. Also, 2 shows in Sao Paulo doesn't fill the demand in Brazil by a long shot. I would have figured at least do a show in Rio. Any news on this?

And what's the status on the Japanese show(s). I haven't heard anything about it. Is it selling poorly? Will there be a 2nd show? Just curious.

Acording to the official 4th leg t-shirts the schedule is closed.

Back
Top Bottom