Why so much Boston availability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbird

War Child
While alot of people are looking for GAs which are always in top demand, anyone have a thought as to why there is so much availability of tickets for the Boston shows? :hmm:

There are over 100 ticket listings on ebay with some tix selling for $25??!! Craigslist is swampped too. (I know b/c I am trying to sell 2 tix)

I'm amazed... the week before last weeks final NY shows you could't find a decent ticket (fortunately I had mine)

any thoughts?

What you speak of really affected the October Boston shows, the May and September Chicago shows, and the November LA shows. (I have limited the list to major markets, but we all know that Phoenix, Seattle, Denver, Detroit, and even Philly had a substantial number of tickets available for less than face value.) It also happened, to a certain extent, to the October MSG shows (but I think that was primarily because of the rain that U2 brought South with them :lol: ).

The answer to the question "why?" is simple: Each of these major markets was overplayed, but thanks to scalpers (mostly amateur scalpers), each show was sold out. Now the amateur scalpers are trying to dump, but the market is glutted with tickets and is bearing about face value for most tickets.

Just my two cents... I have to get back to Queen Bee so I can't provide more detail to this post. :wink:

Yeah, there was a ticket drop for the September Chicago shows and tickets were available on ticketmaster for over a month. It just shows they've satisfied the demand in some of these markets.

:| Wow

Getting tix to either Montreal shows was nearly impossible...............

Goes to show you Canada should get more shows!

Gen. Chat said:
I’d love to be able to see U2 Friday and Saturday then drive down to New York and see the Cowboys play the Giants. That would be one sweet weekend.
But it would be very tough to do seeing as the U2 shows are Sunday and Monday.:wink:

As was said above, the Montreal & Toronto market was quite the opposite. While you could score a Toronto ticket for $250 or so, tickets for Montreal were brutal to come by. Scalpers were asking $400 a ticket.

The assessment above about the 'amateur' scalpers is also very true.

There was a drop for the Boston shows a while back for very good club seats, so that probably hurt the scalpers.

But a glance on eBay shows that most of these tickets are selling well, especially ones in pairs that are decent seats. And most of them, if not all, are going easily for face value.

Seems like the singles are the ones not doing as well, but most of them are in the balcony.

I think the seller screwed up that listing.

There are two different boxes there, one with 4 tickets, one with 2 tickets, yet his description says it's for 4 tickets in Loge 22.

I think it's $50 a ticket for buy it now, which is obviously a steal if correct.

i'll be kicking myself this weekend for not jumping on it when I find myself not at either shows. :mad:

MTEdge said:
What you speak of really affected the October Boston shows, the May and September Chicago shows, and the November LA shows. (I have limited the list to major markets, but we all know that Phoenix, Seattle, Denver, Detroit, and even Philly had a substantial number of tickets available for less than face value.) It also happened, to a certain extent, to the October MSG shows (but I think that was primarily because of the rain that U2 brought South with them :lol: ).

The answer to the question "why?" is simple: Each of these major markets was overplayed, but thanks to scalpers (mostly amateur scalpers), each show was sold out. Now the amateur scalpers are trying to dump, but the market is glutted with tickets and is bearing about face value for most tickets.

Just my two cents... I have to get back to Queen Bee so I can't provide more detail to this post. :wink:

Actually, most people especially those of U2's audiance average age, are probably unlikely to buy tickets over the internet from a scalper. All of these shows initially soldout in hours and the number of people scalping tickets simply prevented regular buyers from getting tickets on the day of sale.

Most people attempting to buy tickets the normal way are not going to go to a scalper to get into the show. Most simply move on once they know ticketmaster has soldout and don't even bother going early to the show to see if they can get in or try to find tickets another way.

Also there were many people in Philly and other shows on the last tour who bought tickets from scalpers only to discover at the show that the tickets they bought were fakes. I'm sure there is some of that out there as well on this tour so naturally that adds to the ticket situation with brokers and scalpers, plus, you have a large number of people, most people in fact, who are not going to buy tickets from brokers and scalpers either because they don't know about them or don't trust them.

Typically, only hardcore fans are going to spend more than face value to buy tickets at these prices. Given that only a fraction of most fans would go to Ebay and other places attempting to buy scalped tickets, plus that only a fraction of those fans are hardcore fans will to pay above face value, then its easy to see why several of tickets on some websites are being sold at below face value.

I actually think most of the markets were "UNDERPLAYED" with the exception of maybe Chicago. But the band simply does not have more time to devote to touring America which is why choosing to play Arena's instead of Stadiums in America turned out to be a mistake.

Its amazing how many people I come across who wanted to see this tour but were unable to because shows soldout to fast and they either did not know about or did not want to deal with scalpers.

Just to note, all the tickets at www.ticketsnow.com for the remaining Boston shows are being sold at above face value and I have found that to be the case for most shows.

Ticketsnow.com has also stated that U2 Vertigo tour is their top selling ticket.

Last edited:
My single ticket, which I started at $30, just went for $78 on eBay. It's a rear stage seat too. The guy who won the auction sounds really great and paid immediately, so I'm pleased about that.

I still wish I could have gone, though...:sigh:

U2 so could have done a stadium leg on this tour. The tour should have begun in the spring with the cities that were too small to have stadium shows. If you look at the attendance numbers from this tour, and factor in that stadium shows are cheaper, you see that stadium shows would have been more feasible in the U.S.

Detroit- 40,000 tickets sold at average price of $95. 2 shows. 40,000 could about fill a stadium itself. Put U2 in a stadium, charge $65 average ticket, and they definitely would have sold out 1 stadium show in Detroit, playing for more people than they played for doing 2 arena shows in Detroit. And the Palace is one of the biggest arenas on the U.S. tour.

New York- 190,000 tickets sold over the course of 10 shows. The fact that all 10 of these shows sold out in a couple of seconds leads to 2 conclusions.... 1: There weren't many people going to multiple shows, and 2: there are A LOT of people in the greater NYC area that would have bought a ticket had they been able to. Lower the ticket prices from 95 avg to 65 avg, and I believe that U2 could have sold out 4 if not 5 shows at Giant's Stadium, rather than playing 10 here for many less people.

Boston- 120,000 tickets sold in Boston, 7 shows spread out over 3 different visits to Boston. This leads to quite a few people who are going to more shows than one, but not too many. We'll never know how many tickets U2 could have sold in Boston, but I honestly think that they could have sold out Gillette Stadium 2-3 times, with it's 60,000 capacity.

Just giving some situations. I seriously believe they could have done stadium shows in the following markets:

New York (4-5)
Boston (2-3)
Philadelphia (2)
Washington D.C.
Chicago (2)
Detroit
Denver
Atlanta
Miami
Texas
Phoenix
L.A. (2) 70,000 capacity Coliseum