was bono disappointed last night (12/4)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fast Eddy

The Fly
I should preface this by saying that the performance by the band was rock solid and, toward the end, absolutely spellbinding. And the band definitely seemed in grand spirits, lots of humor and enthusiasm.

But standing near the tip of the ellipse I couldn't help but notice a couple moments where Bono was out on the catwalk exhorting the crowd in the seated sections beyond the floor to stand and get fired up, with only partial success--and he expressed his disappointment on his face. Did anybody else pick up on that?

Occasionally throughout the evening I turned around to check out the seat sections and noticed a large number of people sitting rather nonchalantly, even during some pretty rowdy moments--especially in the upper tiers.

And the crowd on the floor (at least outside the ellipse) didn't seem to have quite the fire they did during the second spring Boston show.

All in all it was a very solid show with a lot of playfulness, and during the encores things really took off. They sure sounded like a band that had just had a week of rest in Mexico and California!

Hearing Bono and Edge perform "Stuck in a Moment" out on the ellipse will go down in my personal U2 history (22 years of seeing them live) as just magical.

He must have been disappointed....That was why there were three encores?:wink:

True, didn't seem to damper his enthusiasm at all. Maybe I misread his face--but there were 2 times where he raised up his arms to the crowd, didn't get an overwhelming response from the seats, and he had this look like "c'mon, is that all you can manage?"

Where you there?

Fast Eddy said:
I should preface this by saying that the performance by the band was rock solid and, toward the end, absolutely spellbinding. And the band definitely seemed in grand spirits, lots of humor and enthusiasm.

But standing near the tip of the ellipse I couldn't help but notice a couple moments where Bono was out on the catwalk exhorting the crowd in the seated sections beyond the floor to stand and get fired up, with only partial success--and he expressed his disappointment on his face. Did anybody else pick up on that?

Occasionally throughout the evening I turned around to check out the seat sections and noticed a large number of people sitting rather nonchalantly, even during some pretty rowdy moments--especially in the upper tiers.

And the crowd on the floor (at least outside the ellipse) didn't seem to have quite the fire they did during the second spring Boston show.

All in all it was a very solid show with a lot of playfulness, and during the encores things really took off. They sure sounded like a band that had just had a week of rest in Mexico and California!

Hearing Bono and Edge perform "Stuck in a Moment" out on the ellipse will go down in my personal U2 history (22 years of seeing them live) as just magical.

I agree about some outside of the ellipse. NOt me I was outside and the ones towards the center were rocking.. WE were jumping and pumping and singing.

I even have a pic of Bono staring right at the camera for me with Adam.

there have been reports of Bono getting frustrated at crowds, particuliarily of people in the back of ellipses at previous shows, so it's possible.

the montreal crowds were supposedly extra crazy, so maybe the crowd by comparison didnt seem so good.

the montreal crowds were supposedly extra crazy, so maybe the crowd by comparison didnt seem so good

I cannot express to you what the Montreal audience was like. I attended both shows (front row center 11/26, a couple rows beyond the Ellipse for 11/28). These shows demonstrated phenomenal energy. But it was very respectful energy ... for instance, Bono got the arena's undivided attention during Miracle Drug (11/28), One, etc. But then, for COBl, Vertigo, Streets, etc. the arena was going wild.

I saw the the band in Toronto during Elevation and Vertigo, but these Montreal shows blew Toronto away. Bono coulnd't help but repeat his amazement with Montreal ... he was literally in disbelief. During parts of 11/26, I saw him say to Edge how crazy the audience was. Montreal, from a political stand point, also seemed to demonstrate great support for the One campaign .. which I'm sure also won Bono over.

So quite frankly, I think Boston, or any other city for that matter, couldn't hold a candle to the Montreal energy. And I think everybody at those shows can attest to that.

Mike

Fast Eddy said:
but there were 2 times where he raised up his arms to the crowd

He does this shit all the time. He'll gesture at the audience, he'll "yell" off mic...I don't think it's any sign of disappointment. If so he's disappointed all the time.:|

Three rows were cleared out around me before the end of the second encore...as well as part of the elipse (people were actually MORE worried about getting their spot in line for the next day RATHER THAN seeing a third encore). :lame:

While the 3rd, spontaneous encore would seem to suggest otherwise, my friends on the outside of the ellipse 1st row to Adam's side did say they were surrounded by a rather dull crowd. They had a great time anyway and I'm glad somebody I knew was there to confirm that Bono kissed me - I might think I made it up otherwise!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

He does this shit all the time. He'll gesture at the audience, he'll "yell" off mic...I don't think it's any sign of disappointment. If so he's disappointed all the time.:|

Right, that part's just Bono's usual onstage behavior. . .the part I hadn't ever seen before was the look on his face--and the body language--that basically said "is that all you're gonna give me?"

I only saw this twice, it was earlier in the show, and I think the crowd up in the stands was a little slow to warm up. It didn't seem to slow Bono or the band down a bit.

What was the energy in the ellipse like? I definitely saw a lot of hands up and bouncing around, but I wasn't actually in the thick of it.

And what was going on when Bono said, "One, two, three, four girls" while pointing to people up front?

There were 10 or 11 girls/women front and center on Sunday night. Don't know where the guys were.

I was in the club seats, and the crowd around me was really into it.

It was only after the second encore that it cleared out somewhat. I thought it was over myself at that point, but as everyone knows, you never leave a show until the house lights come on.

All I know is that I by the end of the night I was deaf in one ear, entirely hoarse and dehydrated, and had several bruises from coming in rough contact with the rail :lol: The crowd around me was absolutely wild - I was on the outside rail just to the right of the left side platform. Yeah..the one that Bono didn't step onto :sad:

I was right up front and center in the ellipse on Sunday night. The energy from the fans in there was amazing. Not surprisingly, everyone was into it, screaming and singing along word for word. I was screaming so loud I still haven't gotten my voice back yet. :lol: Even my brother, who isn't a U2 fan, really got into it.

zonelistener said:
Three rows were cleared out around me before the end of the second encore...as well as part of the elipse (people were actually MORE worried about getting their spot in line for the next day RATHER THAN seeing a third encore). :lame:

I was still there...!!!!

It was nice meeting you!!!

Every crowd is different....one city is different from the other....it's pretty much a crapshoot how things are going to go from night to night as an entertainer, not just for U2. I believe the guys especially Bono do a great job feeling out the crowd and some crowds get more Bono and U2 energy than others.

i was on the floor but chilling by the soundboard the whole show, but it didnt look like bono was disappointed to be at all considering they came out for another encore.

Fast Eddy said:
And what was going on when Bono said, "One, two, three, four girls" while pointing to people up front?
The European part of the "flag crew" held up a banner stating the number of kilometers the collective group traveled to see the show in Boston. Bono was pointing at the number of girls in that group. What he didn't realize that our group continued along the rail all the way over to Adam's side. There were 14 of us in total.

Back
Top Bottom