United Center Chicago Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wildhorsesbaby

Babyface
I am going to be attending the U2 show in Chicago and was wondering how the surrounding area would be. While outside in line for the GA admission, what were your experiences in 2001 waiting outside the United Center? I just want to come prepared? Are there bathroom facilities and are there eateries close by? Thanks for any help!

The United Center is in a really bad part of town! I would be careful. I was in the GA but I didn't wait all day in line. I heard from others that there weren't many places to eat/go to the restroom.

I'm sure someone that had to wait all day would be able to give you a better idea of where to go for all the essentials (food, drinks etc)

Oh wonderful...I plan on camping out and everything...

I camped out for a band in Tulsa, OK and there was a prison two blocks away...

Chicago has portapotties set up for the GA people to use. I wouldn't advise walking to any other place around the UC for that.
Food, there are a few places, but you're better off bringing your own.
As for camping out - the venue says no. If you do though, you must be a brave one. I wouldn't camp out in that neighborhood.

i have a related question...

we booked a hotel in the theatre district, and my dad is convinced that we could walk or take a cab to the venue, rather than drive our own car. he basically wants to park it in the hotel garage and not move it until we go home, heh.

so what's the best way to do it? sounds like walking isn't an option in a neighborhood like that. we have reserved seats, so the GA line isn't an issue.

I wouldn't walk anywhere there but from the parking area to the venue. TRUST us on that one! I think if you are there in the middle of the afternoon you will be fine. If you camp out, you'll probably wake up with nothing but your underwear on.

mads said:
i have a related question...

we booked a hotel in the theatre district, and my dad is convinced that we could walk or take a cab to the venue, rather than drive our own car. he basically wants to park it in the hotel garage and not move it until we go home, heh.

so what's the best way to do it? sounds like walking isn't an option in a neighborhood like that. we have reserved seats, so the GA line isn't an issue.

We are also staying downtown. I would not walk!!! Either cab it or bus. Just my opinion... We might also take public transportation for the same reason. There are buses directly to the United Center during events from Michigan Ave.

I would take a cab! That's what my sister and I did last time. The only thing we ran into after the show was a guy asking us if we needed a cab and he opened the door for us to one. We thought he was the driver but turned out to be a homeless guy that DEMANDED money and he kept screaming at us and the cab would not move until we paid him money. Looking back we should have gotten out of the cab but I think I was in too much shock to do anything. I gave the guy two dollars and told him to buzz off. Stupid me. Anyway, don't fall for that one!

swanny said:
I wouldn't walk anywhere there but from the parking area to the venue. TRUST us on that one! I think if you are there in the middle of the afternoon you will be fine. If you camp out, you'll probably wake up with nothing but your underwear on.

Just like Baltimore!!! From my reports through the Bruce Springsteen line in Chicago on the Rising Tour, I recommend bringing your keys and no money. Plan on getting no sleep in Chicago.

swanny said:

my friend and i were in dire need of food on time. and i, being a brave and highly trained warrior, was chosen for the quest. i returned with KFC and an interesting story.

at an elevation show, we were unsuccessful getting a cab after the show, so we walked a few blocks to try to get one-
bad idea! i was propositioned by three pro's- right in front of my wife! and the neighborhood was terrible- i have lived in a city (Boston) for most of my life, and trust me that area in Chicago is bad.
pre-arrange for transportation!

tawanda said:

We are also staying downtown. I would not walk!!! Either cab it or bus. Just my opinion... We might also take public transportation for the same reason. There are buses directly to the United Center during events from Michigan Ave.

Michigan Ave. --> Is that down town? How about after the concert... Are there busses waiting (direction down town)?

Thanks in advance!

:uhoh:

Yes, will the buses be available after the concert? Will there be a queue for cabs after the concert and you can just take them as they arrive or do you have to call for one?
:help:

Not only have I never been to the UC, but I've never had a car so I don't know about these kinds of things - is there parking at the UC or do you have to find a parking lot/garage? What are the costs? We'll have to park very nearby b/c a) we'll have stuff to pack away from the GA line and b) we need to head back to MI immediately after the show.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Not only have I never been to the UC, but I've never had a car so I don't know about these kinds of things - is there parking at the UC or do you have to find a parking lot/garage? What are the costs? We'll have to park very nearby b/c a) we'll have stuff to pack away from the GA line and b) we need to head back to MI immediately after the show.

The United Center has parking. I would guess it's going to cost around $16-20 bucks. I can't remember what I paid last time.

Michigan Avenue ("the Magnificant Mile") is located just west of Lake Michigan. Lots of shopping, theaters, museums are close by. It is in the Loop. (The El trains make a loop) In otherwords, downtown. Walking to the UC is out. Seriously out. Camping should be out too. My sister's boss's niece was shot during a mugging not far from there last week. (she's okay, thank god.)

Anyway, if you want to mapquest the UC it is Damen and Madison.

Cabs are always around after shows...

i got there at 3am last time and was around 75th in line

i heard people camped out as soon as they got out of the show from the night before

so it cant be tooooo bad

thanks for the info. i've never been to that part of chicago and at this point i'm not really looking forward to being there at night. but it sounds like a cab is the way to go.

Chizip said:
i got there at 3am last time and was around 75th in line

i heard people camped out as soon as they got out of the show from the night before

so it cant be tooooo bad

Exactly. People keep saying no camping, but if people are showing up shortly after midnight...I'd consider that camp out!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I had a parkng pass for the Elevation tour for reserved seats that I ordered from ticketmaster before the concert just go to ticketmaster.com and look up "United Center Parking" The amount you pay depends on what lot you park in. Their lots are guarded, gated, and secure. There are other parking lots around there run by other people that i would NOT park my car there. I parked in lot H last time next to the Micheal Jordan statue and A guy in a bright red porsche a couple cars in front of us was turned away because he didn't have a pass. You can see a parking map on the United Centers website. Parking at a hotel and walking to the Target Center in Minneapolis is much easier and safer!!

Stay towards N. Michigan Ave or the loop and take a cab/ bus to the concert if you don't park their. The hotels around their are the "by the hour "kind if you catch my drift.

I have GA tickets this time and called the united center about parking and got a message back saying the general parking lots will open up two hours before the concert with Lot K on the south side of the building opening up for General Admission ONLY at NOON. That's the info they have for now and to maybe call back closer to the event.

I'm thinking about possibly taking the el since there is a station two blocks from there with a bus on the way back. Having my car in Lot K dosen't sound bad for a cooler with food and that. I have never had GA tickets before so this will be intersting. Does anyone know anything about the EL/subway in that area. I'm not from Chicago.

whasjoewahn said:

Michigan Ave. --> Is that down town? How about after the concert... Are there busses waiting (direction down town)?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, Michigan Ave is downtown. I'm attaching the link for their public transportation. You can get a brochure with the routes easily. Buses run 24/7 for that route. I think its bus 20, but I'll dbl check.

http://www.transitchicago.com/welcome/brochures.html

tawanda said:
http://www.transitchicago.com/welcome/brochures.html

If you download the map in pdf format you will see the info:

#19 United Center Express Bus service every 12min 2hrs before games and buses waiting after games. Someone should call to see if this applies to concerts?

It does apply to concerts, at least it did during Elevation (There are also regular buses that are not express that run by there for those getting there earlier). Probably the best way to get to and from there.

yes i remember taking one of these buses to get home from a concert, worked out pretty well

Oh, man. My father is dropping us off and picking us up, so we don't have to pay for parking. He is not going to be happy about this dangerous neighborhood thing. :uhoh:

madonna's child said:
Oh, man. My father is dropping us off and picking us up, so we don't have to pay for parking. He is not going to be happy about this dangerous neighborhood thing. :uhoh:

I grew up in a dangerously rough neighborhood so I've got some street smarts, but I'm still glad my bf is coming along. He's a big, solid dude and even though he's like a teddy bear, I'm sure he could pretend to be mean. :D

WildHoneyAlways said:
Michigan Avenue ("the Magnificant Mile") is located just west of Lake Michigan. Lots of shopping, theaters, museums are close by. It is in the Loop. (The El trains make a loop) In otherwords, downtown.

OK, I'm sorry, but I can't let you get away with saying that the Magnificent Mile is in the Loop. The loop, which Michigan Ave. actually never technically enters (it runs along side of it a block away) is south of the Chicago River, whereas the Magnificent Mile (it's weird to type that, my ilk usually just refer to it as Michigan Ave.) is north of the river, centered about a mile north of the loop.

But yes, there's tons of stuff to do on Michigan Ave. -- I'd recommend it to out-of-town visitors over the loop, which is more of a business district (though the live theaters are mostly in that vicinity). Michigan Ave., from Oak Street down to the river has tons of great shops, places to eat, etc. The Museum of Contemporary Art, which is a block or two east of the Water Tower, is definitely a place to check out if you're looking to spend some quality time in Chicago. Of course, the Art Institute is also worthwhile, but that's actually on the part of Michigan Ave. that's by the loop.

Anyone looking for some good Chicago fast food should drop by the Billy Goat Tavern, which is under Michigan Ave. Just look for the sign on the west side of the street as you're walking the portion where street level is clearly above ground level, a couple blocks north of the river. Potbelly Sandwiches are also good, there are a few locations around there. There's good pizza available all up and down Rush St. (a block west of Michigan), with Giordano's (personal favorite) and one of the Pizzaria Uno/Due (the other's just a block away, anyway). Tons of other great food, you can find pretty much anything in the neighborhood if you look, including Armenian.

Oh, I miss Chicago food. It's just not the same here in West Lafayette...best food here comes in an aluminum box.

Back
Top Bottom