U2 Aust tickets - just had a brainwave...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can only speak for Ticketek sold shows - but the promoter has the same conditions I imagine for every show - they wouldnt have seperate policies for seperate stops.

AchtungU2aus said:
http://www.telstrastadium.com.au/index.aspx?link_id=9.358

that's the best i can do to find gate numbers to telstra stadium. pretty pathetic. hopefully someone else can find a better one.

That's the best one I could find. The stage is being set up at the bottom of that diagram, so start with A at the bottom right hand corner of the stadium and work your way around anti clockwise to N at the bottom left.

Really, all I'm interested in is whether the field will be split into 2 or 3 sections. If you look at any photos of the U2 stage setup in an empty stadium, there's only one barrier, and it's not that far back from the end of the ramps. If that's all there is in Sydney, I'm cool with being in the second section. I'm not an "OMG!!BOno was like totally so close!!!" person and a bit of distance to take in both the band and the screens etc would be cool. If there's 3 sections, I'd better fucking be in one of the first two. I'll be pissed if I get the back section and have to deal with a fucking echo all night. I have no idea what my gate is yet. If it's 3 sections, I'm going to go for tickets to the second show as well to be safe.

Also on that site, take one of the 'Virtual Tours' in the column on the left hand side. Pick General Stadium and you'll get an idea of the size of the place.

Aah, I see thatsmypuppy replied while I was typing. Thanks for that!! First in it is. I guess I'm taking that day off work...

Yeah, I'll be shitty too if i had to be in the last 1/3. Hopefully Puppy's right and it'll be first come first served. I've heard from previous concerts they had the band system, too. So just make sure u get in early enough to get one.

I've been to Telstra Stadium a couple of times when it's fully packed. Rugbly union and rugby league finals. Trust me, the Reserve D and even C tickets are gonna be shithouse. You can barely make out the people on the field/stage. Spend the whole night watching the screen... so for me, GA or Grade A or nothing.

I've been to every Bledisloe Cup since 2001, the occasional Grand Final and the odd Double Header at Stadium Australia and really when the place is packed the atmosphere is electric. Now I know that music is different to sport, but with the mammoth European stage being used I really think that at least visually sitting at the back of the stadium will be fine. The main question is how will it sound? I don't think there has been a precident, although it does have two advantages over its similarly shaped little sister the SFS. First, the angles aren't quite so bad, secondly there aren't noise restrictions in the Olympic Park complex.

Basically, the noise from the front speakers will take a second to travel the distance to the back of the stadium, meanwhile the second row of speakers has already blasted it. If you are in an 'open' stadium (ie, stands down the sides only and no roofing) the sound then escapes (or potentially never gets there because of the wind). In closed stadiums like the SFS and Telstra, the sound bounces off the back walls and the roof back at you, particularly bass/drums. If you are caught in the last third, you are caught in a mess of echoes and delays. Also the sharpness of the drumming and the 'boom' of the bass will dominate. You'll find it hard to hear Bono when he's singing quiet verses over heavy drums and bass.

However, when the band drops the music and leaves the crowd to sing along themselves, 70,000 people will sound absolutely incredible.

Earnie Shavers said:
However, when the band drops the music and leaves the crowd to sing along themselves, 70,000 people will sound absolutely incredible.

And that is why 40 (or at least 40 as a snippet concluding Bad) should close the shows rather than any Vertigo x2 nonsense.

I fear Yahweh will be replaced by Stuck In A Moment for the Aussie shows. :|

Guess I'll be the first on the train then.

Just kidding. Of course I'd stick around even for Yahweh. The acoustic thing isn't too bad.

Seriously, as long as The Fly is in there, I'll let them play a few Bomb tunes.

I'm scared that not only will we get a truckload of Bomb songs, but they'll think the way to make up for not bringing Elevation here is to play a truckload of ATYCLB songs as well.

I want a shitload of Achtung, a shitload of Unforgettable Fire, a shitload of Pop and a shitload of War and/or Boy.

Earnie Shavers said:
I'm scared that not only will we get a truckload of Bomb songs, but they'll think the way to make up for not bringing Elevation here is to play a truckload of ATYCLB songs as well.

I want a shitload of Achtung, a shitload of Unforgettable Fire, a shitload of Pop and a shitload of War and/or Boy.

same, but i do want walk on, crumbs, and original of the species.

one song i gotta heard being played (abeit most unlikely for an Australian show, new Zealand much more probable) is One tree Hill! And with a full Edge solo aswell (mmmm remembers Point Depot NYE Bootleg in '89).
I'd love to hear Kite, Bad, Bullet the Blue Sky (when Edge realises the solos from previous tours totally ice his new stipped down bluesey approach), A Day Without Me, Last Night on Earth (very wishfull thinking), Until the End of the world, 11 oclock tick tock and of course, Street Mission.

How long should I wait outside before the show if i wanna get a really close spot to the elipse? (im in GA @ Aami stadium)

I'm with you AussieU2fanman.. One tree hill is a fantastic song. And it's fun to play on the guitar too. I'm thinking about camping overnight to get right next to the stage. Judging by the ticket sale craze, I don't think even that will be early enough.

From U2.com http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1832

More Shows For Auckland, Melbourne, Sydney
As a result of fan demand, U2//Vertigo//2006 have announced second and final shows in Auckland, Melbourne and Sydney. Tickets for these three new performances will all go on sale on Monday, December 12 at 9 AM local time. There will be no other extra concerts possible. Here's the dates and booking details:

Saturday March 18 Auckland Ericsson Stadium – Ticketmaster 09 970 9700 Web
Saturday March 25 Melbourne Telstra Dome – Ticketmaster 136 100 Web
Saturday April 1 Sydney Telstra Stadium – Ticketek 132 849 Web

The first five shows for Australia and New Zealand, which went on sale yesterday, caused an unprecedented demand for tickets. U2’s concerts in Auckland, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane were virtual sell-outs, with 250,000 tickets sold including an unbelievable 160,000 during the first 90 minutes - breaking ticket-selling records across the country. The concerts were the quickest sell outs in the history of each venue with sales in Adelaide on the verge of breaking the largest ever concert attendance in that city.

It all started at 9am New Zealand time with U2’s on-sale at Ericsson Stadium in Auckland. All available tickets were sold within 90 minutes. At 9am, Melbourne time U2 at Telstra Dome went on-sale with all available tickets snapped up in just two hours. Not to be outdone, Adelaide’s AAMI Stadium went on-sale at 12.00 midday local time, with more than 30,000 tickets sold in the first three hours. Thirty minutes after the Adelaide on-sale, the Queensland Sports and Athletic Centre in Brisbane also went on-sale. Strong demand continued throughout the day with all available tickets sold out by late afternoon. Most spectacularly, the 70,000 tickets available at Sydney’s Telstra Stadium sold out in less than 50 minutes.

U2//Vertigo//2005//2006 is produced by The Next Adventure and RZO Productions, and presented in Australia and New Zealand in association with Michael Coppel Presents.

I had a feeling it would be on Monday. I couldn't work out why Simple Minds tickets are going on sale of Tuesday next week. Tuesdays a bit of a weird day to start a sale. I'm going to have two frantic mornings in a row. :drool:

And a bloody good time in 2006!

hmmm im temted to go camp outside ticketek today and wait there till monday.

heheh screw food and water, i need U2 tickets!!!

dazzlingamy said:
just find a really obscure ticketek outlet and go there....scope it out and all that! hehe

I've got a great ticketek outlet, its in Melbourne! hahaha no line at all! :D

lol, i went to the ticketek here in port adelaide and i was the only person there as well!!

I just went on to Ticketmaster and it looks like Brisbane is sold out too...cant get tix to any areas.

yay for Brisbane!!

I was also very impressed with the age of the crowd. Very mixed and most people between 20-30. Might even be a good crowd!!

Awake for 60 hours in a row... can we do it? would we do it for anything other than U2? I think i'll need a coupla days to recover after, esp if i drink.

Back
Top Bottom