TSA Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I really have no clue where to post this. I'm wondering what the current rules are regarding liquid toiletries as carry-ons. I checked the TSA site and it says you can bring them as long as they all fit in a clear one quart bag. I'm hoping to only bring a carry-on to Hawaii (we'll only be there five nights, six days), so I'm wondering if this has been true for recent travelers. I've flown like once and that was years ago so I just want to be sure.

When I flew to New Orleans at the end of Sept you could bring liguids and gels in the clear ziploc bag but you had to fill out a declaration form and stand in another line to have someone check it and then another line and fill out another declaration form for prescriptions :(
This was on the return trip which IIRC was only the 1st or 2nd day of allowing any liguids but to me it wasn't worth the hassle.

They are pretty lax now - I just flew last weekend - on the trip out, they made sure everything was in the quart sized bag, which TSA provided, but that was it, noone scrutinized it.

On the way back, out of Newark, I brought stuff that should have been in the quart sized bag but were not, because they didn't provide one, and I forgot to bring one. I wasn't stopped, neither was my hubby, and we both had stuff that should have been checked. So, I think they are letting a lot slide now. Although, could just depend on the airport.

On the very positive note, at least now you can buy drinks once you clear security and bring them on board with you. That toally sucked when absolutley no liquids were allowed, I was flying and dying of thirst!!:madspit:

See you in Hawaii!!:wave: Two more weeks from today!! :drool:

3 oz liquid is what current carry on regulations are. They ask that all of the liquids be placed in a ziploc bag and sent through the x-ray out of your carry on bag.

Is it 3 oz total, or each liquid has to be 3 or less? My dad said 3 oz total, but that's not enough enough for eye drops and a tiny bottle of contact lens solution. :huh:

Oh, and do you have to carry a passport to go to Hawaii?

Yeah, I typically only do roadtrips, can you tell?

-No passport needed for Hawaii but you do need some sort of ID (like your license) for the airport security
-Each container of whatever liquid/gel item has to be 3oz or less each. You can't do something like an 8oz container that is only 1/4 full either. They all have to fit comfortably in a 1 quart bag (which isn't very big).

I just posted a whole bunch of info in the Hawaii thread!

the actual rule is 3.4 ounces (recently changed), but TSA says 3.0 ounces. Amd those are 3 ounce (or smaller) containers.

Make sure you DO NOT have anything larger than a one quart bag - they will make you dump stuff.

:lol: Hey, I figured it's a LOT farther away than some other countries, so who knows?

Bought my one quart sandwich bag today. I'm going to need the two weeks to get all my makeup and toiletries to fit in there :hmm:....

zonelistener said:
I just posted a whole bunch of info in the Hawaii thread!

the actual rule is 3.4 ounces (recently changed), but TSA says 3.0 ounces. Amd those are 3 ounce (or smaller) containers.

Make sure you DO NOT have anything larger than a one quart bag - they will make you dump stuff.

Yes, technically it's 3.4!!!

Back
Top Bottom