Tour Date Discussion Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver: re - Japan

Was the 4 Mexico 1992(last ZOO 3rd legs shows) in an Arena with a stadium set-up?

Anyone have a photo of that set-up or the Perth 98 gig?

u2fp

I'm not Axver, but I can answer the question above. For the 4 arena shows U2 did in Mexico at the end of the 1992 tour, they used the arena stage, which hadn't been used since June in England. Apparently plans to play 2 shows at a stadium in Mexico City fell through, so instead they played 4 arena shows there. So yes, they did dig the arena stage out for 4 more shows. Maybe they'll do that for Tokyo? I don't know.

I'm not sure I understand the whole arena vs. stadium thing. This Japan show will be in an arena if I understand correctly. So, naturally, you would use the arena stage, correct? The stadium stage would be too big, right?

phillyfan26 said:
I'm not sure I understand the whole arena vs. stadium thing. This Japan show will be in an arena if I understand correctly. So, naturally, you would use the arena stage, correct? The stadium stage would be too big, right?

I don't think many people know for sure. Probably we'll have to wait until the tickets go on sale to get a confirmable answer.

If they do 3 shows in the stadium configuration, they would be adding 20,000+ tickets to Japan compared to the original stadium. That seems like a lot (since someone mentioned U2 is not as big in Japan relatively speaking), and why I think it'll be the arena setup.

phillyfan26 said:

This venue has an arena setup and a stadium setup. I mean, it is designed to host soccer games! So I think Vertigo's stadium stage could fit in there.

As far as Popmart Perth photos go, this is all I found: http://www.u2photos.com/images/98feb17.html

It doesn't really give you an appreciation of how it fit in the venue, but just compare those photos above to the size of the Burswood Dome in these pictures: http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=24

I think they could fit in the stadium stage to the Saitama Arena if they wished.

Axver said:

This venue has an arena setup and a stadium setup. I mean, it is designed to host soccer games! So I think Vertigo's stadium stage could fit in there.

As far as Popmart Perth photos go, this is all I found: http://www.u2photos.com/images/98feb17.html

It doesn't really give you an appreciation of how it fit in the venue, but just compare those photos above to the size of the Burswood Dome in these pictures: http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=24

I think they could fit in the stadium stage to the Saitama Arena if they wished.

Saitama is a very new building, so they would have built ti to accomadate "standard" height stadium concert set-ups.

I'm still wondering if they can hold the "Stadium" set-up in a halfbowl arrangement.

Another oddity is the rumours about a stage arriving in japan in late september. Why would it sit idle for 2 months?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
I'm still wondering if they can hold the "Stadium" set-up in a halfbowl arrangement.

What would the point of that be? 16,000 x3 isn't enough to cater for the Yokohama crowd; the 22,000 setup isn't feasible due to the screen.

Another oddity is the rumours about a stage arriving in japan in late september. Why would it sit idle for 2 months?

That is the only reason I have not discarded arena speculation as baseless, as that could be the arena stage showing up. But didn't it come from the same source that placed Tokyo on 14 and 15 December?

Axver said:

What would the point of that be? 16,000 x3 isn't enough to cater for the Yokohama crowd; the 22,000 setup isn't feasible due to the screen.

Again that assumes the LED curtain is not used.
2 Tokyo Dome shows would be a lot more practical than 3 Super Arena shows (over 6 days). Both would hold roughly the same number of people (assuming a stadium config.), yet the Tokyo Dome was not chosen for some reason.

Baseball season there is in spring I believe - so that was probably not an issue. Someone else mentioned acoustics, but they played there for Popmart (and MSG had pretty crappy acoustics too when I saw them there).

ETA - the Stones were scheduled to play Tokyo Dome in March.

Last edited:
ntalwar said:

Again that assumes the LED curtain is not used.

:huh: My reply was to the stadium setup, which has the big screen and thus necessitates the 16,000 configuration if the smaller form of the venue is used. What I was saying is that if they do use the stadium setup, they'll have to use the 30,000 seat configuration in order to cater for the Yokohama crowd, as the 16,000 one is not sufficient.

2 Tokyo Dome shows would be a lot more practical than 3 Super Arena shows (over 6 days). Both would hold roughly the same number of people (assuming a stadium config.), yet the Tokyo Dome was not chosen for some reason.

I believe they can't have GA at the Tokyo Dome. Maybe they can at Saitama? Also, there was that mention on U2log about how the promoter wanted to do premium seating at the Tokyo Dome; maybe using the Saitama Arena somehow got around that disagreement?

Axver said:

:huh: My reply was to the stadium setup, which has the big screen and thus necessitates the 16,000 configuration if the smaller form of the venue is used. What I was saying is that if they do use the stadium setup, they'll have to use the 30,000 seat configuration in order to cater for the Yokohama crowd, as the 16,000 one is not sufficient.

I believe they can't have GA at the Tokyo Dome. Maybe they can at Saitama? Also, there was that mention on U2log about how the promoter wanted to do premium seating at the Tokyo Dome; maybe using the Saitama Arena somehow got around that disagreement?

Why can't there be a 25,000 Stadium set-up done for 3 nights? If the demand is there.

I also think the Japan shows may have been the reason for the various delays in announcing the rescheduled shows.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Why can't there be a 25,000 Stadium set-up done for 3 nights? If the demand is there.

Well, they don't have a 25,000 seater configuration ... I suppose that would just be the 30,000 seater config with 5,000 seats unsold/sealed off?

Was Yokohama close to being sold out? Maybe they were 20,000 or more short of being sold out, in which case they feel 3 nights in a 16,000 seat venue takes care of all the demand. Remember that in 1998, the second planned Tokyo show never happened due to lack of interest. I went to the Osaka show in 1998, showing up without a ticket and they were easy to find there below face value. For whatever reason, while U2 is popular in Japan, they seem to be a little less popular than in other parts of the world.

Halup said:
Was Yokohama close to being sold out? Maybe they were 20,000 or more short of being sold out, in which case they feel 3 nights in a 16,000 seat venue takes care of all the demand.

That's good info to know. I was not aware that there were so many unsold seats - I guess the languauge barrier has something to do with it. I think a lot of people assume every U2 show will sell out everywhere. And I was thinking the same thing - that they will play 3 smaller shows.

Back
Top Bottom