to the Detroit family :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
I wish I could be at the Palace tonight and tomorrow. I used to love seeing them in Motown.

My U2 fandom was born at my parents house in Southfield and nurtured at these 4 shows:
12-8-84 Fox Theater
3-23-85 Joe Louis Arena
4-30-87 Pontiac Silverdome
3-27-92 Palace

2001 in Kentucky was my first show since the Palace. This year I've seen Chicago 5-9 and will see Atlanta 11-18 and St. Louis 12-14--my official 21st anniversary show!!!

Anu

oh yes, the Motor City. We'll carry the torch for you. As you know U2 has often surprised in Detroit. Who can forget when Bono ordered 10,000 pizzas in March, 1992 and then many were delivered and people were eating them and throwing them as frisbees. And then Sept. 1992, the MTV music awards live with U2 playing "Even Better Than the Real Thing". And then playing only for the 3rd time ever, the acoustic "So Cruel". Finally in 1997, on Larry's Birthday performing on Halloween Night with many dressed up for the event including Bono with his crew cut coming out like a prize fighter. Oh, the memories!

I sure hope Rosa Parks is "in the building" tonight. MLK-before I Still Haven't Found would surely work.
I can't imagine Bono won't *go off* with this one tonight, and I will be shocked if this doesn't play a serious role in an emotional show tonight.
As an aside, I wrote this a few minutes ago:

I've met rock stars and rebels, people I've loved and admired from Allen Ginsberg to Bono, but all that today seems small compared to one day ringing the register at the Cass Food Co-op in the late 80s.

There was a long line, and suddenly, it parted like the red sea. Rasta men and radical muslims stood aside. Giving
cuts isn't real Cass Corridor, so I was more than a bit bewildered.

But then Rosa Parks stepped to my
register. She bought like one item, but she had her co-op card. My fingers could hardly touch the keys.

I know in her later years that she was manipulated by her handlers, who tried to make her Brand Rosa and sued folks who used her name in movies and songs.

But none of that could ever erase the feeling that I had that day and that millions of us have whenever we hear a freedom song. And frankly this is a
feeling we all need to be reminded of. Freedom. And
fighting for it.
Thank you sister Rosa. Presente!!!!

Back
Top Bottom