MSG ticket sec. 10 - HELP, just found out how crappy my $180 tickets are!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enjoyingmylife

Babyface
I'm really steamed. I was a Prop subscriber and decided to bite the bullet and pay for the expensive tickets so my (very short) girlfriend could see an MSG show on 10/8 and actually be able to see the band. I got in right away, chose best available in the expensive ticket range and got sec 10, row N. Now, since I got in right away, I assumed these would be better than Loge. I'm 99.999% sure that these are given a higher "value" in the system than Loge, but it turns out these sections are in the VERY BACK of the arena, all the way behind the last GA's. A four-year old could tell you that Loge seats on the side are ten times better than these, and that I got screwed.

Now, who decides that these sec 10 seats have higher "value" than the Loge's? Also, WHO DO I COMPLAIN TO? I think it should be someone with the band, not MSG, although I'm sure MSG or the promtoter made the decision, I think the band (through their representatives) are ultimately responsible for all aspects of their tour.

So, other than complaining, I'm looking for a contact to complain to. I know there are Loge seats being held back for friends, family, VIP's etc, and I feel I deserve those seats. I bet my life savings the promoters don't reserve my section for these people, because they're just not as good!

Thanks for reading my rant and please help with any contact info if you can.

jonathan

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think you can do much in terms of exchanging the tickets but I do agree that you were deceived a little into buying them. I remember that the TM MSG seating chart doesn't show where section 10 is- but there are seating charts that do, so you should have checked where it is before buying them.

Honestly, those really aren't bad seats though. Being elevated at the back of the floor is a nice location.

Thanks for commiserating with me, but i do have to challenge you on your point about checking first. At that point you have something like 90 seconds to make a decision. I had no idea ahead of time that I would be offered tickets that weren't on the seating chart, so I had no super-secret unofficial seating chart handy. And I hardly had the luxury of time to go research where the seats were, for fear of losing them, and others, as we all know how quickly tickets went. I had to trust that these were the best tickets available, which they clearly weren't.

I do take some solace that you say they are good seats, but I've sat in similar locations before (Bruce) and I simply felt too far away to feel the intimacy that a decent Loge seat would offer. I assumed these would be in front of the Loge on the side, as that's the only way they'd be better.

Thanks again for your post, and if anyone else knows who I can contact who actually has the power to exchange these seats, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

enjoyingmylife said:
Thanks for commiserating with me, but i do have to challenge you on your point about checking first. At that point you have something like 90 seconds to make a decision. I had no idea ahead of time that I would be offered tickets that weren't on the seating chart, so I had no super-secret unofficial seating chart handy. And I hardly had the luxury of time to go research where the seats were, for fear of losing them, and others, as we all know how quickly tickets went. I had to trust that these were the best tickets available, which they clearly weren't.

First mistake....trusting Ticketmaster :huh:

I have the United Center seating chart memorized and I've never even been near the building. :shrug:

I've thought about it a little more today...

One thing you can do is get a REFUND for them. Just call Ticketmaster and say that the seating chart didn't have the section on it and you don't want the tickets.

Being able to exchange them for better seats is a different story, however. TM won't let you do that.

If it makes you feel any better, I was looking up what tickets were available for 10/8 during the presale, and the loge tickets I was pulling weren't significantly closer to the stage. I was pulling sections 1/2 to 2/3 of the way back along the sides, but nothing directly to the side of the stage.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

That happen to me the last tour in Chicago. I got tickets from Prop and they were way in the very back (They were supposed to be Gold Circle seats! :madspit: )

I ended up trading with someone for GA. You may try trading because someone may actual want a seat. Or you may be able to trade with someone who has tickets behind the stage. Trading may be your only option.

I think you need to stop complaining and start enjoyingyourlife. Lots of people couldn't get tickets and you have VERY GOOD tickets. You can see all the screens and you'll be able to see the band. Lots of people can't say that. I have pretty much nosebleed seats and I'm not complaining because I'm lucky to have gotten tickets.

STOP COMPLAINING!

Well from I've determined they rated the best available loge seats differently on the 2nd presale and now I know why. I was able to get side seats 1st row lower level right next to the stage for the 1st show in SD, the view was great for watching the band and I totally enjoyed it, but I totally missed out on what was going on with the screens and the images in those balls of light.

When I did the second prop presale I realized I was only getting lower level seats (1st few rows) but for sections more towards the mid court and I now believe those will give me not only a great view of the stage but also a much better appreciation for the effects.

I have a feeling they realized the side view would not provide the best overall view of the show and started ranking the seats more towards mid court as best available.

I used my Propaganda pre-sale code to get seats for MSG on 10/10 (well actually my Husband got them because I had no way to get out of work that Monday) He called me and said the Best Available was in a section 10, but he didn't see it on the seating chart. I told him to go ahead and get them because "they must be good, right? I mean they are 'best available for $160'"... Stupid me! When I did get home (about 3 hours after the start of the Propaganda presale) I did find a seating chart with that section on it. Needless to say I was WORRIED! I am only 5' 2" and I did not want to be at the back of the floor- risers or not. I got on the phone with Ticketmaster that instant and after about 5, I kid you not, 5 transfers I was connected to someone who could help me. The girl who helped me canceled my section 10 tickets and I was able to buy another set online with my presale code. She stayed on the phone with me while I bought the other tickets (lodge 57) and assured me that everything went through. I have since called them twice to confirm that my tickets are legit and I will be able to get into the venue with them and everything seems to be fine. I feel bad for you, and I am sorry that you just found out where your seats are. I think at this point your best option is to trade your tickets, or sell them and use that money to buy some in a better section for you.... It sucks that we were deceived and I really feel for your girlfriend... its hard to find a decent seat at a concert when you are short! Oh, and GA- forget about it!

enjoyingmylife said:
I'm really steamed. I was a Prop subscriber and decided to bite the bullet and pay for the expensive tickets so my (very short) girlfriend could see an MSG show on 10/8 and actually be able to see the band. I got in right away, chose best available in the expensive ticket range and got sec 10, row N. Now, since I got in right away, I assumed these would be better than Loge. I'm 99.999% sure that these are given a higher "value" in the system than Loge, but it turns out these sections are in the VERY BACK of the arena, all the way behind the last GA's. A four-year old could tell you that Loge seats on the side are ten times better than these, and that I got screwed.

Now, who decides that these sec 10 seats have higher "value" than the Loge's? Also, WHO DO I COMPLAIN TO? I think it should be someone with the band, not MSG, although I'm sure MSG or the promtoter made the decision, I think the band (through their representatives) are ultimately responsible for all aspects of their tour.

So, other than complaining, I'm looking for a contact to complain to. I know there are Loge seats being held back for friends, family, VIP's etc, and I feel I deserve those seats. I bet my life savings the promoters don't reserve my section for these people, because they're just not as good!

Thanks for reading my rant and please help with any contact info if you can.

jonathan

are you kidding me? you're bitching about getting section 10? That section is probably one of the best sections in the arena to see the show. you are dead center on risers above everyone on the floor with a perfect view of the stage and are directly behind the soundboard area and get the best acoustic experience.

I can't believe you are BITCHING about your seats. I would have loved to get those seats. I've seen shows from that section and it has been great.

Re: Re: MSG ticket sec. 10 - HELP, just found out how crappy my $180 tickets are!!!!!

applenut said:

are you kidding me? you're bitching about getting section 10? That section is probably one of the best sections in the arena to see the show. you are dead center on risers above everyone on the floor with a perfect view of the stage and are directly behind the soundboard area and get the best acoustic experience.

I can't believe you are BITCHING about your seats. I would have loved to get those seats. I've seen shows from that section and it has been great.

I appreciate your point (and thank everyone else for sharing theirs as well), but if you were a Propaganda member, you had every bit as much of a chance to get tickets as i did. The band decided to reward their biggest, oldest, most loyal fans with first crack at tickets, but messed up this part of the deal. I'm not complaining about the fact that I got good seats, just that if this were run CORRECTLY, I would have gotten even better seats. I am extremely thankful that the band care about their fans enough to even do something like this, and therefore am willing to fork over $360 to take my girlfriend to see them, when there is absultely NO OTHER BAND in the world that i would do that for.

BTW, thanks Buckman for your thoughts, but getting a refund is not a good option, since I won't be able to get better seats for that price. I'm not the only one who feels that mid-court Loge seats are better. For that show (Saturday), they have been going for $1200-$1400 on eBay.

That being said, if someone else feels like applenut, I WILL GLADLY TRADE THESE TICKETS TO YOU FOR MID-COURT LOGE SEATS TO THE SAME SHOW.

"Don't let the bastards grind you down."

Yeah - I have to agree that you need to stop complaining as you will have an amazing view of the show in its entierty and as the designers would have wanted someone to see it.

When you think about it , the sound mix for the show is designed for where Joe O sits right in the middle and right in the back. This is also where the lighting and video cues come from - so basically it is the PERFECT location for the show.

Now - if that is not good enough for you, because Bono won't sweat on you (or your girlfriend) there are a couple of things you can do:

#1 - Sell on Ebay - the tickets you are holding in your hand are worth a ton of money to a ton of people. If you are that unhappy with them, you can make a very handsome profit.

#2 - try to trade with someone, and in your case I would offer the tickets to trade for "worse" seats in the 100 or even 200 sections immediately next to the stage. This way someone will trade for your "better" tickets and you can be where you want. Obviously, no one in the Loge section on the side of the stage is going to want to trade with you as yes, your tickets are (sorry to say) worse.

#3 - if #1 or #2 fail - you can always trade with someone like me who has been following this band for 21 years and was left with nothing in the way of tickets except for a pair in section 306 for one night. Now if you think that is a better view, I would be glad to trade with you, because let me tell you something, I would trade my left arm for the tickets you are holding.

YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY YOU WILL EVEN BE INSIDE THE BUILDING THAT NIGHT

many won't be able to...

ouizy said:
#3 - if #1 or #2 fail - you can always trade with someone like me who has been following this band for 21 years and was left with nothing in the way of tickets except for a pair in section 306 for one night. Now if you think that is a better view, I would be glad to trade with you, because let me tell you something, I would trade my left arm for the tickets you are holding.

YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY YOU WILL EVEN BE INSIDE THE BUILDING THAT NIGHT

many won't be able to...

Thanks for your input ouizy, what I don't understand is why, if you're such a big fan (which I'm not questioning), didn't you join Propaganda, or even the U2 website. Surely, if you'd followed previous tours, you would have learned that members get first crack at tickets. It's not like I know Paul McGuinness or Bono. I had the same access as any other fan who happened to be wise enough to pay $20 or $30 for a Propaganda membership.

Certainly, that's a lot less expensive than losing your left arm.

Yours in corporal integrity,
enj.

You have a very good point - I never stated that I was smart this go around - rather I would be the first to admit I fucked up, but I was really just trying in a sarcastic way to make you a bit more comfortable in the 'situation' you are in.

I have to say that last year I saw Radiohead at MSG in a section up from where you are sitting, but it was dead center on and I have to say the show was amazing.

You should try to get your hands on tix next to the stage if possible, but please be happy with yours - it is going to be an amazing sight from where you are sitting...

Re: Re: Re: MSG ticket sec. 10 - HELP, just found out how crappy my $180 tickets are!!!!!

enjoyingmylife said:
The band decided to reward their biggest, oldest, most loyal fans with first crack at tickets, but messed up this part of the deal. I'm not complaining about the fact that I got good seats, just that if this were run CORRECTLY, I would have gotten even better seats.
Just to interject a small point...the band does not decide which tickets are considered better than others, Ticketmaster's computers have all that info. You'll notice a small code on your tickets that says something like "43x" or "69x" or "117x" or whatever your tickets have.
This x code is the predetrmined order of what is considered best available, a front row center ticket (for a non GA show) will have the code "1x" (some venues its reversed so it might say "x1").
So the computer when you ask for best available spits out whatever the lowest x code tickets on the machine at the time are.
Are they actually the better seats...not always.

For the October 4 Boston Propaganda presale I wanted GA's, but just entered "Best available" and TM offered me loge 14 seats (Great seats), but I tossed them back and searched for GA spcifically and got them. Ticketmaster's code system considers many of the lower level seats as better than GA (they have a lower x code) becasue although you can get along the stage with GA, you can also get stuck in the back of the floor.

Unfortunately its too late for this info to help, but you might have got exactly what you wanted by specifically selection "loge" in the drop down menu on the TM page, of course you might have also got the "no tickets in that are available" message, who knows.

But it wasn't U2 who coded the seating, its done by TM.

Last edited:
You know, for MSG 1 in May, I got section 233. Not only is that at the opposite end of the floor, but it's also in the balcony, AND THEY WERE $180 EACH.

Boohoo. If I wanted to sell May NY tickets, I'd probably get $500 each.

I think going is worth more....

Re: Re: Re: Re: MSG ticket sec. 10 - HELP, just found out how crappy my $180 tickets are!!!!!

Hewson said:
Just to interject a small point...the band does not decide which tickets are considered better than others, Ticketmaster's computers have all that info. You'll notice a small code on your tickets that says something like "43x" or "69x" or "117x" or whatever your tickets have.
This x code is the predetrmined order of what is considered best available, a front row center ticket (for a non GA show) will have the code "1x" (some venues its reversed so it might say "x1").
So the computer when you ask for best available spits out whatever the lowest x code tickets on the machine at the time are.
Are they actually the better seats...not always.

For the October 4 Boston Propaganda presale I wanted GA's, but just entered "Best available" and TM offered me loge 14 seats (Great seats), but I tossed them back and searched for GA spcifically and got them. Ticketmaster's code system considers many of the lower level seats as better than GA (they have a lower x code) becasue although you can get along the stage with GA, you can also get stuck in the back of the floor.

Unfortunately its too late for this info to help, but you might have got exactly what you wanted by specifically selection "loge" in the drop down menu on the TM page, of course you might have also got the "no tickets in that are available" message, who knows.

But it wasn't U2 who coded the seating, its done by TM.

thats really interesting ... my GA's for NJ say 6X ... does that mean there are 5 better locations than GA in the house???

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MSG ticket sec. 10 - HELP, just found out how crappy my $180 tick

njelevation06 said:

thats really interesting ... my GA's for NJ say 6X ... does that mean there are 5 better locations than GA in the house???

What section of GA are they in (GA5 probably).

J

unosdostres14 said:
I think you need to stop complaining and start enjoyingyourlife. Lots of people couldn't get tickets and you have VERY GOOD tickets. You can see all the screens and you'll be able to see the band. Lots of people can't say that. I have pretty much nosebleed seats and I'm not complaining because I'm lucky to have gotten tickets.

STOP COMPLAINING!

Thanks for the post. I tried for Pittsburgh, and it was a sell out in less than an hour.

Back
Top Bottom