MSG GA Procedure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the "official" word for the GA lineups at MSG, is that there will not be anything "official" about it. People will show, fans will try to organize the line by writing numbers on your hand, people will try to cut in front of you and it still will be random to get in the ellipse. I believe that will be the "official" GA procedure.

Plus there will be a lot of people starting at you while you wait in line.

yeah nothing like hanging out on the corner of 7th Ave and 34th St for 10 hours on a weekday.

In 2001 people tried to get us to leave line to go see a taping of the Ricki Lake show. fun times...

I figured it was going to be the same as Elevation this time around, but didnt have GA tix in NY in the spring so just wanted to make sure.

Is it possible to take a backpack in? I have a big test on monday and need to study while waiting in line. What's your opinion.

Maybe the Interferencers should handle it, then. I'm bringing paper, a pen, a clipboard. I'll be there early on 10/10, so I'm just trying to keep things orderly (and my spot near the front :wink: ), I'm also bringing my 40ft lemon to run over the unseemly folks.

no way backpacks are allowed in MSG. Find a locker in Penn St (if they are even there still). Last night in Boston someobdy tried to bring a back pack in and they said no way and also said that North Station (attached to the Boston Garden the same way Penn Station is attached to MSG) had taken out all of their lockers for safety. Make photo copies to study.

i've been through penn station millions of times and have never seen a single locker. doesn't mean they aren't there, just never seen them. if they're there, they're well hid. disclaimer of course being that the majority of my trips through penn station of late involves alcohol.

as far as bringing a backpack in, they allow large purses in as long as they've been fully searched. i really don't know if a backpack would be allowed in. if it's an expensive one and you don't wanna lose it, i wouldn't bring it. if it's a cheap piece of crap that you wouldn't mind having to give up if they didn't let you bring it in? bring it.

At MSG do they allow LITTLE backpacks?
In Europe you can take a normal backpack with you on every venue.

How about in the US? Could you really take no bags or backpacks with you, really?

English is not my language and I wasn't sure about your postings.

If they allow purses I thought, maybe LITTLE backpacks like purses are allowed.
Or is there a rule in the USA that you can't take any backpack with you wether it is a little one or not?
Its not so easy for me to explain what I mean. As I said I'm not English or American.

There are no lockers in Penn Station...I believe that they do have a bag check window, but I think you can only check bags if you have a train ticket departing that day. Not sure if even that is still there...

Do people bring camp chairs or blankets to sit on, or do you have to stand on the sidewalk the whole time?

Thanks!
Taryn

Thanks for all the feedback. If you can't bring bags in, is there all day parking nearby where I can stash my stuff right before the show? I thought event parking was usually just for right before the event...

Ok, I just called MSG and they said the official policy is as long as it can fit under your chair, you're ok.

Yeah... there was silence when I asked about their GA lineup policy, so I just said "so do we just get there whenever and line up" and she said "yeah, there's no policy"... sounds like fun!

How wonderfully informative of them. :drool: Looks like I'll be giving the Irish Inquisition to folks outside the venue Thurs. & Fri. - I come through Penn Station to go to work. Stay tuned...

tkutish said:
Do people bring camp chairs or blankets to sit on, or do you have to stand on the sidewalk the whole time?

Thanks!
Taryn

you can bring stuff like that but be prepared to toss htem in the garbage. you certainly won't be able to bring them inside the garden with you, and the nypd won't look kindly upon those who plan on leaving large amounts of garbage out on the sidewalk.

again... for those who've never been there before, madison square garden is not your normal arena. there is no arena parking lot. the arena is surrounded by city streets, skyscrapers, and a huge train station below the building. there is not a single parking space owned by madison square garden that is open to the public. the few spots they do have are located inside the building it's self, and are for important staff and vip only.

DeVaul said:
How wonderfully informative of them. :drool: Looks like I'll be giving the Irish Inquisition to folks outside the venue Thurs. & Fri. - I come through Penn Station to go to work. Stay tuned...

Hey, I've already started the line for Friday's show. I've written a 1 on my hand in Black Sharpie and I've got a notepad on my desk with my name first on it. I'm not anywhere near the arena, but hey people have done it before this way, so why change a good system! Anyone else want to get on the list!

:wink:

I've emailed MSG too to find out what the GA procedure is. U2's tour people says the Lottery system will be in place, yet U2.com says wristbanding.

Who the fuck knows. :shrug:

Everyone gets a wristband to get on the floor (and then another wristband to get in the ellipse).

(These wristbands are not the same as the wristbands given out in Boston so that you don't have do stand in line all day).

First, No Zeroes Allowed. I think in Secion 4, Article 6, Item 34 of the U2 GA Handbook, all numbers written on the back of your hand with a magic marker must be greater than 0. Letters can be used, but only for significant others.

You can look it up if you want. You can be #2. My wife is #1A.

Second, MSG does GA the old-fashioned way, they do nothing.

You get one wristband when you get into the arena/MSG and you may get another wristband if you get into the ellipse. No wristbands for positioning in line. If you want to get in line, it starts at #3 right now.

We're starting the first virtual GA line! :wink:

HelloAngel said:

Can you clarify this?

In Boston you get a wristband from the venue that are in numbered order. These are given out starting in the morning and marks your position in line. When you get this wristband you can leave and then return at 5PM and get back in the order as indicated by your wristband. These wristbands are cutoff you once you begin entering the arena.

At this time is when the U2 procedure begins i.e. getting a wristband to enter the floor proceed to scanning machine if you get Vertigo proceed to get second wristband that gives you access to ellipse.

MSG does not use (and have never used) this Boston procedure, their line is first come first serve and then they will have to follow the u2 lottery procedure for ellipse access.

ramblin rose said:

In Boston you get a wristband from the venue that are in numbered order. These are given out starting in the morning and marks your position in line. When you get this wristband you can leave and then return at 5PM and get back in the order as indicated by your wristband. These wristbands are cutoff you once you begin entering the arena.

At this time is when the U2 procedure begins i.e. getting a wristband to enter the floor proceed to scanning machine if you get Vertigo proceed to get second wristband that gives you access to ellipse.

MSG does not use (and have never used) this Boston procedure, their line is first come first serve and then they will have to follow the u2 lottery procedure for ellipse access.

What time do they start giving out the "numbered" wristbands in the morning?

tackleberry said:

What time do they start giving out the "numbered" wristbands in the morning?

They do not do this in NY, this is the way it is done in Boston. In NY you just have to stand in line. Period.:|

Back
Top Bottom