MERGED --> u2.com - DATES IN A WEEK! All Upcoming Tour Dates Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sami0201 said:

:yes:
This is ridiculous already. U2.com should have never posted that announcement in the first place. :|

Its main problem is its ambiguity. If they had at least bothered to specify whether they meant the week of the 10th-17th or week of the 17th-24th, that would've saved a lot of needless confusion and hopes being raised.

I think we're going to wait another day at least. I'll call it as Wednesday, business hours, Irish time. We better not have to wait until an announcement in the Sunday papers. :mad:

(Of course, I wonder if U2.com realise that the longer they wait, the more time there is for someone to talk and for the schedule to get out there via another source and steal their thunder entirely!)

I think the whole point of the 'not long now' announcement was to calm us all down, and made out of good intent. But it shouldnt have been made as it has just gotten everyones hoped up and made us even more impatient for news than we were before.

And I dont think I could physically wait until the sunday papers for news, i will have long since killed myself in the wait!

Axver said:

Its main problem is its ambiguity. If they had at least bothered to specify whether they meant the week of the 10th-17th or week of the 17th-24th, that would've saved a lot of needless confusion and hopes being raised.

I think we're going to wait another day at least. I'll call it as Wednesday, business hours, Irish time. We better not have to wait until an announcement in the Sunday papers. :mad:

(Of course, I wonder if U2.com realise that the longer they wait, the more time there is for someone to talk and for the schedule to get out there via another source and steal their thunder entirely!)

I totally agree. :yes:

adrball said:
Didn't the "WITHIN then week" news come out at about this time last week?

Yep, day 7 since their announcement that there would be an announcment. :|

Maybe it's not them it's us. If the band read this they'd think we were all psychos.:huh:

u2.com's announcement of announcement was made after u2log posted the bit of info they had gathered.

If that hadn't been put up, maybe there wouldn't have been an announcement of an announcement at all.

u2log post ----> u2.com announcement of announcement

no u2log post ----> no u2.com announcement of announcement

ramblin rose said:
Maybe it's not them it's us. If the band read this they'd think we were all psychos.:huh:

Replace 'psychos' with 'people frustrated by delays and anxious for news'. Makes us sound more sane. :wink:

(Which is definitely in my interest, given I've posted the most on this thread by a quite considerable margin :reject: )

I agree. We are all psycho! That aside, it's undeniable that we've been misled, with good intentions or without intention at all. I think they probably wanted to stem the negative chatter by saying something. It worked. For the last week we've been filled with the anticipation of children on Christmas eve. But, alas, it's over.

People who write press releases usually have an above average grasp of the language. If they wanted to be accurate they would have worded the sentence, "within Next week", eliminating "the" before "Next". That clearly would have meant 7/17-7/23. By including "the" before "Next" , and then not announcing or releasing a follow up explanation/clarification, there is a clear intention to mislead us.

Let the mantra resume, "We're mad as hell, and we're not going to take it anymore!"

:mad:

I'm being sarcastic, of course, but I would like the opportunity to book the trip before I get priced out of it! (as well as agroup of friends) Hey, if it all falls apart I'll post the tickets on the what you got thread...cheap....stained.

Axver said:
(Which is definitely in my interest, given I've posted the most on this thread by a quite considerable margin)

Hey, what do you know? I'm #2.

And you/they can call me whatever you/they want.
Whether it's true or not, is something else.

U2FanPeter said:

The Stones had several Stadium shows in major markets with most tickets over $100. Estabished groups as openers were also key - or playing unusual venues like the Red Sox ballpark or Atlantic Canada. My point is the 160/90/50 pricing could work in Stadium if done very carefully.

Also, I thought U2 had GA for some 87 stadium shows? I aquired a used ticket stub for the BC Place gig that I can use as confirmation.

u2fp

Yep, U2 had GA tickets for some of their 87 Stadium shows in the USA. They played to 86,000 people at JFK stadium. 60,000 people in Tampa stadium. Oakland stadium, which is actually small stadium in terms of the stands also had about 60,000 people total per night. Tickets back then though were $19.50 and much closer in price relative to your average CD, record, or cassette back then. I'm not saying that can't do it, but the way tickets are priced these days, you have to be very careful, especially when dealing with a stadium sized venue if you want to sellout.

The Rolling Stones did about 20 stadium shows on their recent tour of North America, but they only did Arena shows in large markets like Philadelphia and Washington DC that at one point years ago would normally each get multiple stadium shows from the Stones.

Another thing the Stones do is they had seating on the field and charged the highest ticket prices for the seats closest to the stage, and then dropped prices as you got further from the stage.

With U2's pricing structure in a stadium with GA, all the most in demand tickets are the cheapest while the least in demand tickets are the most expensive. In an Arena your going to only have 2,000 GA tickets, while in a Stadium, you could have as much as 30,000 GA tickets.

Again, I think U2 would have to do what they did in Europe where the prices for most tickets were very close together and around $75 to $80 dollars on average. $160 dollar golden circle seats would work with seats on the field next to the stage, but no one charges those prices for large sections in the stands of a Football stadium while only charging tens of thousands of people on the field at only $49.50 a ticket.

The Hawaii show works because the total capacity is much smaller than it would be for shows in the USA in football stadiums. The stage set is also not at the end of the enzone, but in the middle of the field facing one side of the stands. People in the worst seats are twice as close to the stage than they would be if the stage were set up in the endzone like it normally is.

Axver said:
Folks, I don't think we're getting anything today. It's now out of business hours in Ireland.

Didn’t the cancellation announcement come about 9:00 eastern time for the US? :hmm:

pattip2000 said:

Didn’t the cancellation announcement come about 9:00 eastern time for the US? :hmm:

I get the feeling that one came as soon as the decision was taken, due to how imminent the concerts were.

As they can plan ahead with this announcement, I think they'll make the announcement at a time most convenient to them.

Cancellation - a bit after 8PM Eastern

Hawaii - leaked on radio first, after midnight US Eastern, 6 or 7PM Hawaii time, I believe U2.com put it up at about 8PM Eastern 3 days later.

Australia - press release from the promoter came out at around midnight again US Eastern, think that is around 2PM Sydney time.

So night time U.S. is the right time, it seems...

u2 will play auckland 24 and 25 november

I am due to get married on November 25. the wife to be and I decided to book our accommodation for the wedding night today, hoping to preempt any price rise - so we rang Sky City to enquire about their suite to be told that the hotel suites are all booked out for use by U2s crew for their Auckland shows. We then rang the Hilton hotel - u2 have booked their suites as well. We managed to get a room at the stanford

So there you go - U2 in Auckland November 24 and 25

There was a rumour going around earlier that Auckland was November 24 and 25 too, though it hadn't been brought up much recently and I have no idea where it came from initially.

But if U2 have booked their hotels for that time, then I suppose that would lend weight to those dates, which is fantastic for me as it's out of exam periods and my father hinted this weekend that he might pay to bring me over for the shows. :hyper:

Axver said:
There was a rumour going around earlier that Auckland was November 24 and 25 too, though it hadn't been brought up much recently and I have no idea where it came from initially.

But if U2 have booked their hotels for that time, then I suppose that would lend weight to those dates, which is fantastic for me as it's out of exam periods and my father hinted this weekend that he might pay to bring me over for the shows. :hyper:

it does sort of bugger my wedding plans up - unless there is a third show - have to miss the saturday concert - but a cool way to spend the night before the big day....

now i have to try and get my groomsmans tickets (saturday) swaped for the friday show

scottdm said:

it does sort of bugger my wedding plans up - unless there is a third show - have to miss the saturday concert - but a cool way to spend the night before the big day....

now i have to try and get my groomsmans tickets (saturday) swaped for the friday show

You could see this as a problem - or as a big opportunity! Get married on stage with 35,000+ of your closest friends! (I actually think I once read about a couple who did go to a ZooTV concert on their wedding day and were pulled on stage for champagne during TTTYAATW ...)

Axver said:

You could see this as a problem - or as a big opportunity! Get married on stage with 35,000+ of your closest friends! (I actually think I once read about a couple who did go to a ZooTV concert on their wedding day and were pulled on stage for champagne during TTTYAATW ...)

I think she wants her white church weddiing - but shit Ill be there the friday night screaming for an appropriate song - umm - until the end of the world haha :)

scottdm said:

I think she wants her white church weddiing - but shit Ill be there the friday night screaming for an appropriate song - umm - until the end of the world haha :)

Maybe they'll keep All I Want Is You as the closer (it closed the four most recent shows) - that would be rather appropriate for you two!

scottdm said:
u2 will play auckland 24 and 25 november

I am due to get married on November 25. the wife to be and I decided to book our accommodation for the wedding night today, hoping to preempt any price rise - so we rang Sky City to enquire about their suite to be told that the hotel suites are all booked out for use by U2s crew for their Auckland shows. We then rang the Hilton hotel - u2 have booked their suites as well. We managed to get a room at the stanford

So there you go - U2 in Auckland November 24 and 25

Wait a minute, you called two hotels and they told you they didn’t have rooms because u2s crew are booked there? They give that information out?

pattip2000 said:

Wait a minute, you called two hotels and they told you they didn’t have rooms because u2s crew are booked there? They give that information out?

Yes - well my fiance did the ringing - even rang back the sky city to check - she couldnt believe what she had heard......

The conversation went like this

Hotel : Sorry there are no luxury rooms availale

Fiance: Is that because of U2?

H: yes, the u2 crew have booked out all the luxury accomodation

Fortunately, we got the stanford plaza booked now

You know you're in New Zealand when people are that casual about things. :wink:

Lila64 said:
:hmm:

and congrats to you scottdm :up:

I seconded that :up:

just a word of advice - it is not advisable to stalk U2 in the hotel unless your new bride wants to as well. Under no circumstances should you leave her in the honeymoon suite while you ride the elevators up and down in the off chance that Edge gets on

be strong :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom