MERGED --> GA Rules for Chicago + Chicago GA Line up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the liklihood they would ask everyone to leave and come back at noon? 12:00 is the latest any venue has allowed a line up to begin of course it's the show I'm driving 16 hours to go to. I still think it might just be a vale threat and people will still be there from the crack of dawn anyway lining up outside the fence. Any one else feel the same? I can already see myself getting turned away early in the morning and comming back at noon to find the line up 3 blocks long and getting royally screwed in the process.

I'm Going early anyway. The only thing that I'll believe is if Chicago PD comes and tells me to leave otherwise I'm staying. This whole thing is really stupid. Leave it up to the United Center to throw everyone for a loop.

I'm thinking of getting there between 9 and 10 a.m. I'm sure by then there will be line formed off the UC's property.

i brought in a digital camera last time i saw U2 at the UC and had no problems, and i can pretty much guarantee there will be no problems in bringing in any non professional camera this time around too

is it real safe to bring digital camera inside UC?
i will be there on 9th at 9 o'clock,I think..anyone with me?
lottery for inside the ellipse?

I'm bringing my digital and a disposable camera to the show. If they try to take them they'll have to pry them from my cold dead hands.

i just go by myself..they scan the tix right?
do u think is a big chance even i already start que from 9am or not?
just worried about this..:(

The policy is to scare you away from camping out. It's only worth camping out if you do not get scanned into the Ellipse. So then you get the tip to the Ellipse. See you all May 9 and later on that week.

Originally posted by Super_Fan
The policy is to scare you away from camping out.

That's absolute nonsense !!
The policies and procedures are put in place for a reason ...

Without them ... there could be total craziness and riots set forth by fellow concert-goers or people within the neighborhood ...

With them ... it provides some sort of law and order ... which they
definitely need in that area of Chicago ...

actually, super fan is right, some of these united center policies are nonsense and u2 fans will have to organize themselves

but this is how it is for every show, people always line up before the venue officially allows it, but as long as the fans follow a decent system then it is alright

here are the united center "policies," ive put my own remakrs in bold...

The United Center welcomes all guests with General Admission (“GA”) tickets to begin arriving and forming a line no earlier than 12:00 pm. The United Center asks that all guests adhere to the following policies. GA ticketholders violating any of the following policies may be asked to surrender their line position, tickets, and may be removed from the United Center.

The GA line will begin on Honore Street, and will turn down Adams Street. The GA line will enter the arena through Gate 5 (southeast corner). See attached map.

ok

GA ticketholders may begin lining up no earlier than 12:00 pm on each date of the show, and you must have a ticket for that evening’s performance.

This is ridiculous, most venues allow you to start lining up at 9am. But people start lining up even before that. Hopefully some fan or fans will have set up a good system for lining up before the official line up starts. It sucks it starts so late because there will be a lot more people to keep track of, and that will make it harder for the line leader guy, could lead to problems...

Please be respectful of other guests in line at all times. No profanity, running, pushing, line jumping, horseplay, or other such unsafe behavior.

horseplay is the best part :wink:

Scalping or re-selling tickets will not be permitted.

i dont see why you couldnt resell a ticket for at or below face value :huh:

Alcoholic beverages will not be permitted in line.

ok

You must be present to get a space in line. Guests will not be allowed to “hold” a place in line for other guests planning to arrive later.

good, u2 fans will police this themselves anyway

Backpacks, large bags, and outside food and/or beverages are not allowed into the United Center, so at 4:30 pm, the United Center will ask all guests to return all such items to their vehicles.

ok

Wristbands giving access to the main floor area (GA area) will be distributed to guests as they enter the arena once the gates are open. Floor access will be permitted through sections 109-110 only.

ok

Guests will be randomly selected to receive a second wristband to access the Ellipse portion of the U2 stage.

ok

Due to the nature of GA lines, the United Center staff will not settle disputes over line position. Disputes over line position will result in all involved parties going to the back of the line.

ok, u2 fans should will settle it

Once you are in line, you will not be allowed to leave the United Center property. If you choose to leave you will forfeit your place in line, and the United Center can not guarantee you will receive another place in line.

this is also ridiculous. you should be able to leave the line for an appropriate amount of time and the people around you will hold your spot

Once inside the arena, no pushing, moshing, or body surfing will be permitted.

expect pushing

Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions, comments or concerns during your visit, please contact the nearest United Center staff member.

i guarantee you people will be lining up much earlier than 12pm the day of the show, and it will be up to u2 fans to make sure it stays orderly

Last edited:
miss becky said:
Thanks so much, MsMofoGone. You're really looking out for all us Chicago folks. :hug:

Hey miss becky ...
Sorry to have taken so-ooo long with this, but I've had a new dilemma along the way ... Well, here it is ... Now, when calling the UC ... I get a recorded message regarding the new policies and procedures for GA ticketholders. This message states how the GA line forms on Honore St. and then goes down Adams (and there
is also mention that there will NOT be any line-ups allowed along the UC's outside fence either.) The GA ticketholders will enter through Gate 5 into the venue. But, they've also said that the line-up time for GA ticketholders does indeed BEGIN at 12 noon and no earlier ... and any person violating this policy may be asked to surrender their line position, or GA tickets in general, and also may be removed from the UC property. The end of this message says how you will not be allowed to leave the UC property once you are in line (after 12 noon.) If you choose to leave the line, then your place will be forfeited and the UC cannot guarantee you will receive another place in line either ... Well, this is their new recorded message ... I don't like the sound of this and because the policies and procedures have changed since my last post ... I have gotten in touch with my contacts at the UC for further assistance ... and I'm waiting to hear from THEM and what THEY tell me regarding this matter ... so there's hope yet, that things may end up differently ...

MsMofoGone said:
But, they've also said that the line-up time for GA ticketholders does indeed BEGIN at 12 noon and no earlier ... and any person violating this policy may be asked to surrender their line position, or GA tickets in general, and also may be removed from the UC property.

The hell? They can't make us give up our tickets if we decide to get there early. That's complete bullshit. If the line forms off their property, they can do nothing about it. They surrender all authority over us if we are not on their property.

Originally posted by miss becky

The hell? They can't make us give up our tickets if we decide to get there early. That's complete bullshit. If the line forms off their property, they can do nothing about it. They surrender all authority over us if we are not on their property.

Are you yelling at me ?? ... or at the fact that you disagree with the UC's recorded message ??
I think you've misunderstood what I've said here ...
The last line of my post says ... " and also MAY be removed from the UC PROPERTY ...
(They're talking about once you're ON the UC's property !!)
Also, on another note ... the UC does NOT own the property along
their OUTSIDE fence, but they will NOT allow people to line up there either ... is what their message states ...
You know, alot of the reasoning behind their strict policies could be because of the area ... this is NOT a good section of Chicago, no matter how you look at it ... and I believe they're being more
cautious in keeping some of these situations under control ...

No no no, I'm not yelling at you. :hug: I'm ticked off at the UC for constantly changing their policies. I still don't see how they can possibly have any authority over people who are lined up off their property.

I guess I'm just getting frustrated. Once I fly out of here on Friday I won't have access to a computer, and I need to have my plans finalized before then. If the UC changes things at the last minute, I don't want me and my mom getting screwed.

I guess I'm just getting frustrated. Once I fly out of here on Friday I won't have access to a computer

I don't know where you're staying in Rosemont ... but I do know that some hotels offer access to their computers if it's necessary for their guests while staying at their hotel ...
Also, I haven't heard anything further yet from my contacts at the
UC either ... My guess, they might be getting the "run-around" on conflicting information too !!
I'll keep trying though ... and hopefully I'll hear something soon !!

Is anyone else going to try going earlier than noon to line up? I don't see how the United Center can prevent fans from linning up outside the fence. My guess is there will still be people there all night anyway and if you don't show up till noon you'll be way back in line. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

On Monday, I'm leaving at 7:30 in the morning to drive up to Chitown (will take me 3 hours) so I will be arriving somewhere bewteen 10:30-11:00. Hopefully I'll time it just right if indeed the line up starts at noon. But I plan on checking back to this thread to see if any new info is posted after Saturday's show.
For those folks going on Saturday and can post something for the rest of us....please do so! :wave:

United Center's GA policy for U2 shows

Here's the United Center's rules for GA:

U2 General Admission Line Management Policy
May 7, 9, 10 & 12, 2005
The United Center welcomes all guests with General Admission (“GA”) tickets to begin arriving and forming a line no
earlier than 12:00 pm. The United Center asks that all guests adhere to the following policies. GA ticketholders
violating any of the following policies may be asked to surrender their line position, tickets, and may be removed
from the United Center.
? The GA line will begin on Honore Street, and will turn down Adams Street. The GA line will enter
the arena through Gate 5 (southeast corner). See attached map.
? GA ticketholders may begin lining up no earlier than 12:00 pm on each date of the show and must
have a ticket for that evening’s performance.
? Please be respectful of other guests in line at all times. No profanity, running, pushing, line
jumping, horseplay, or other such unsafe behavior.
? Scalping or re-selling tickets will not be permitted.
? Alcoholic beverages will not be permitted in line.
? You must be present to get a space in line. Guests will not be allowed to “hold” a place in line for
other guests planning to arrive later.
? Backpacks, large bags, and outside food and/or beverages are not allowed into the United Center,
so at 4:30 pm, the United Center will ask all guests to return all such items to their vehicles.
? Wristbands giving access to the main floor area (GA area) will be distributed to guests as they
enter the arena once the gates are open. Floor access will be permitted through sections 109-110
only.
? Guests will be randomly selected to receive a second wristband to access the Ellipse portion of the
U2 stage.
? Due to the nature of GA lines, the United Center staff will not settle disputes over line position.
Disputes over line position will result in all involved parties going to the back of the line.
? Once you are in line, you will not be allowed to leave the United Center property. If you choose to
leave you will forfeit your place in line, and the United Center can not guarantee you will receive
another place in line.
? Once inside the arena, no pushing, moshing, or body surfing will be permitted.
Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions, comments or concerns during your visit,
please contact the nearest United Center staff member.
as of April 19, 2005
subject to change

:| :eyebrow: :huh: :scratch: Sooooo...do we all lurk in the neighborhood hiding behind trees til noon...do we nonchalantly walk around the block several times and jump into the line @ 12...do we hide in our cars then sprint to the line @ 12??? :shrug: :banghead:

hi all!
after we read about this GA policy..what time u guys gonna start comin to UC?12pm..before that?any idea?

MsMofoGone said:

I don't know where you're staying in Rosemont ... but I do know that some hotels offer access to their computers if it's necessary for their guests while staying at their hotel ...
Also, I haven't heard anything further yet from my contacts at the
UC either ... My guess, they might be getting the "run-around" on conflicting information too !!
I'll keep trying though ... and hopefully I'll hear something soon !!

I'm staying at the Westin. I hope they have computer access for guests. If not, I may have to try and find an Internet cafe Friday night or something.

Unless things change, I'm still planning to get the UC between 9 and 10, and get in line across the street. It sounds like this is the general plan for several people, so at least my mom and I won't be alone.

Was there a Pre-sale for Chicago May 9th?.
As there have been 2 GA Queues in the past, with one being for Presale tickets/U2.com members, depending on whether the show had a presale, which way will may 9th be set up?

I'm ticked off at the UC for constantly changing their policies.
I guess I'm just getting frustrated.

Well ... Be Prepared !! ... for more policy changes and frustration !!
I'm to the point where ... I'm gonna pull my hair out !! :crazy:
I had some free time in between updating computer reports for my boss last night at work ... so, I tried calling the UC again ...
Now, there's NO recorded message ... I automatically got put
"on hold" with some stupid dumb-assed music playing in the background ... They conveniently talk about upcoming UC events
now ... while you wait !! They don't even talk about U2's concerts
and that's an upcoming event !! What's wrong with that picture ??
I waited for almost 10 minutes with no response ... so I had to hang up ... since my free time was only minimal ... but I tried!! ... Well, I'm sure they're updating their phone recording again ... so this should be interesting with what happens next ... The slightly GOOD NEWS is that I did hear from my UC contacts ... but the BAD NEWS is that they have NOT found out any new GA information yet ... but they did manage to tell me that the UC parking lot opening times are going to be affected as well ... this does NOT sound GOOD for me ... especially, since I want to park INSIDE their parking lot fence !!
Maybe all these issues will change once they get that DAMN phone message ... fixed, working, updated, or whatever !!
I'm feeling sick about this whole deal here now ... there was NOT this much problems when they had the Elevation tour in 2001 ... I guess U2 are getting too big for Chicago ?? (only joking!)
But seriously, I'm definitely NOT looking forward to MSG in
2 1/2 weeks either ... as that is where I'm going to be after Chicago's shows ... Now, I wonder what's gonna happen in New York as well ... since it seems Chicago's having all these problems unresolved !!

Back
Top Bottom