Help me: San Diego sports arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aledavid

The Fly
Hi, I want to go to SD1 show in GA and I need some recomendation and sugestions from other people that know:

+ How big is the GA area in SD arena?
* It's very much people in GA area?
* It's polite the people in GA area of SD?
* How hard it's to get in front of the stage?
* If I get infront, how aggresive its the people?
* I'm only 5'9" tall, It's my size a problem?
* In the concert, Would be a pause maybe at the half?
* About the parking, how hard it's to find it
* and how far it could be?
* At what time the Arena closes doors?
* Could I cath the band before they enter to the arena? if so how I could do it?

Please help me, I'm very worry about all the above...

if you can't answer only one question go ahead, if you can tell about other venue it's ok too.

aledavid said:
Hi, I want to go to SD1 show in GA and I need some recomendation and sugestions from other people that know:

+ How big is the GA area in SD arena?
* It's very much people in GA area?
* It's polite the people in GA area of SD?
* How hard it's to get in front of the stage?
* If I get infront, how aggresive its the people?
* I'm only 5'9" tall, It's my size a problem?
* In the concert, Would be a pause maybe at the half?
* About the parking, how hard it's to find it
* and how far it could be?
* At what time the Arena closes doors?
* Could I cath the band before they enter to the arena? if so how I could do it?

Please help me, I'm very worry about all the above...

I live up the street from the Sports Arena. It is a small venue, accomodating approx 17,000. It is round, and I am not sure at what area the trucks load or the band will arrive, could be underground. The box office is at the north side and there are 2 entrances, north and either east or west end. As gor GA-not sure what security will be like, but there is a San Diego Gulls hockey game at 5:30pm Sunday 3/27 which should have the arena cleared out by midnight the the arena to be prepped and stage, etc set up. No camping is allowed. Not sure what time the parking lot will open, but it is easy to find. There are a number of threads in Gatherings where people are making plans to que up together, it will be one big party. I imagine 6 to 8am is when the lines will form. There are hotels and fast food within walking distance, and a Krispy Kreme donuts, AM/PM minimart and Chili's restaurant in the parking lot. GA means you take your chances. Hopefully it will be organized, but the mood is usually festive. There will be a lot going on around the Arena. As for parking, there is parking at the Arena, by ACE parking, I think it is $8 per car. There is also parking across the street and at adjacent lots. It's easily accessible from the 8 freeway or the 5. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Karen

1. The arena floor is the standard size of American/Canadian hockey rinks, give or take a few feet.

2. There will be many people in the GA area (not sure the question)

3. It is a rock show, so there will be nice people and there will be jerks. Depending on where you are, there will be varying levels of pushing. Closest to the stage and catwalks will be the most compact, but also the most intense.

4. It is yet to be determined the GA setup as far as if there will be a inner area within a catwalk. Too early to know.

5. People are not terribly rude, but are also very motivated to be in the front. Especially when Bono comes to that area, it can get very pushy. There is no difference between what happens in San Diego and anywhere else in the US.

6. 5'9" is above average height for the floor. You will be fine from any where on the floor.

7. There probably will not be an intermission once U2 goes on, save for the encores. There will be a 30 minute (give or take) break between the opening act and U2. The lights will come up.

8. The San Diego Sports Arena has it's own parking lot. It will be easy to get parking, just expect to pay roughly $10-15 US Dollars to do so. The Arena was built in 1966 and is very old and small. It is the smallest venue they are playing on the tour.

9. You will be no more than a quarter of a mile from your car.

10. The arena will immediately begin asking people to leave the building after the final encore. They won't allow you to hang out after the show.

11. San Diego has an entrance for vehicles to the lower level and on the last tour this area was fenced off. You might be able to catch U2 before the show, but it will really depend on how tight security is and how big the crowd is. A good bet is to try the General Aviation area at the San Diego airport. They will most likely fly down for the show and fly out after. This is what occured on the Elevation tour. Meeting the band is more luck, rather than strategy. Being in the right place at the right time.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Every venue has about the name number of people int he GA area which I think is around 2000-2500 people. For elevation 300 were let into the heart, there have been rumors that the oval for this tour will be bigger and let in more people.

If you get a spot in the oval, then everybody is polite and there is no pushing or shoving. If you get a spot on the outside and a few people back from the stage then there will probbaly be some shoving when bono and the edge make their way out there. If that bothers you you can always move back a little and you can avoid the pushing.

Its not hard to get to the front of the stage if you are willing to wait, for a long time. I have heard that San Diego doesnt allow people to camp out in line the night before the show, but I believe people will find a place to line up and camp out and then move to the real line when they allow it in the morning. So just know the earlier you decide to line up, the better spot you are going to get.

U2 concerts don't have intermissions, so there will be no pause in the middle of it. There will be a little break between the end of the normal set and the encore, but that is only for a few minutes.

i dont know about parking, i assume the arena has parking you can pay for for the event, it really shouldnt be a problem.

If you want to try to meet the band before the show, they usually go in the backdoor, and people in the GA line keep an eye out for that. Sometimes they will stop and sign autographs before going in or theyll just wave and go in.

I hope this helps, Ill be at the San Diego show too, its going to be great no matter what.

If for any reason I can arrive early, Could I still enter to the arena (I.E. 9:30pm)?

GA Line entrance will be near the loading dock on the side of the arena with the Box Office. When you enter the arena its confusing to get onto the floor due to the many portals they have on the arena concourse. Thats my experience when I was there on my Metallica tour last November.

Could someone in SD call to the arena and ask details about 'no camera and camcorders' policy? It's ok to bring a point and shot camera but no a pro camera?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom