HAWAII--Where does the band come in at and greet the fans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live in Hawaii and have been on the field at Aloha Stadium many times. The vehicle entry is through a tunnel at the north end zone. My guess is that's where they will set up the fences to meet with fans. Tonight (12/2) is the final University of Hawaii football game at the stadium, so probably the stage setup will begin soon after. If anybody wants to snoop around, on Wednesday mornings they have a swap meet at the Stadium. You can get some peeks into the stadium and if you go to the North end of the stadium, you will possibly see equipment, crew, back of stage, etc. Today, the weather here is cloudy, windy and highs in the upper 70's.

Attachments

• kailuabeach.jpg
    kailuabeach.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 185
kailua, so what is your recomendation if we drive to the show on Saturday? What time would you leave Waikiki to ensure we get them with some time to spare? I read that other thread about traffic being horrific and now Im worried.
thanks for any info!

The one thing I am surprised that no one has brought up is the news that U2 will be *SKIPPING* all of the autograph stuff before and after the Aloha Stadium gig. In fact, the latest report coming out of Tokyo has Bono mentioning that the ONLY reason that they will go forward and play in Oahu, all the while knowing that Hawaii is the single-most dangerous spot to live/perform in the U.S., is because Rocko Reedy (of Rocko&TheDevils fame) has already invited his family and parents to attend his performance.

As a result, when U2 fly into the venue by helicopter from Maui they will circle the stadium before making one "good will drop" near the load-in gate, releasing exactly one-thousand Origami Cranes (left over from their Crew Party the other night near the Mori Building - a story for another time) which have been pre-autographed, and even made out to individual names in advance; be forewarned that the band has been known to shy away from French-sounding first names when offering free or discounted autograph in the past... From what I hear, it is supposed to be a momentous occasion all in all, with the timing set to coincide precisely with the sunset over the USS Arizona Memorial nearby. It is under this "guise" of an entrance that Rocko will stealthily sneak his family into the GA section near the Mix.

Those Devils...

[PM me if you might have floor space available follwing the gig; coming from L.A. on Friday with *NO* accomodations lined-up...should be interesting! Thanks for the consideration!]

Hawaii--dangerous??? Maui is about 100 miles away, and a very bumpy helicopter ride.
Traffic can definitely be bad, but it's only about 8 miles or so between waikiki and the stadium, and it's saturday. BTW the Honolulu Marathon is on Sunday morning, now that f*&^ s up traffic! People in Hawaii love to tailgate, and they usually open the parking lot 3 or 4 hours before events, no announcement yet though. If you planned to get there early you'll have no problem. But there are only 8000 parking places for a 50,000 seat stadium, so it does fill up. The easiest way to get to Aloha stadium from Waikiki is to take H1 west, the just before the airport get on H201, and stay in one of the right lanes. After about 3-4 miles, you'll come over a large hill and see the stadium ahead of you on the left. The next exit will be 1D(I think) for H3 and stadium, get off there, and stay left, (don't get on H3, or a long and scenic detour you will have!). You'll come to a intersection with 2 lanes going left, go left, this is Kahuapaani St., and get in the right lanes, these go straight into the parking lot.
Definitely see some sites while you all are out here, Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl Cemetary, Polynesian cultural Center, and possibly some big surf on the North Shore. Just another pic to show you what lies here in Hawaii.

Attachments

• mokes.jpg
    mokes.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 104
newworldorder said:
The one thing I am surprised that no one has brought up is the news that U2 will be *SKIPPING* all of the autograph stuff before and after the Aloha Stadium gig. In fact, the latest report coming out of Tokyo has Bono mentioning that the ONLY reason that they will go forward and play in Oahu, all the while knowing that Hawaii is the single-most dangerous spot to live/perform in the U.S., is because Rocko Reedy (of Rocko&TheDevils fame) has already invited his family and parents to attend his performance.

As a result, when U2 fly into the venue by helicopter from Maui they will circle the stadium before making one "good will drop" near the load-in gate, releasing exactly one-thousand Origami Cranes (left over from their Crew Party the other night near the Mori Building - a story for another time) which have been pre-autographed, and even made out to individual names in advance; be forewarned that the band has been known to shy away from French-sounding first names when offering free or discounted autograph in the past... From what I hear, it is supposed to be a momentous occasion all in all, with the timing set to coincide precisely with the sunset over the USS Arizona Memorial nearby. It is under this "guise" of an entrance that Rocko will stealthily sneak his family into the GA section near the Mix.

Those Devils...

[PM me if you might have floor space available follwing the gig; coming from L.A. on Friday with *NO* accomodations lined-up...should be interesting! Thanks for the consideration!]

Is that you Bono? :wink:

kailua said:
Hawaii--dangerous??? Maui is about 100 miles away, and a very bumpy helicopter ride.
Traffic can definitely be bad, but it's only about 8 miles or so between waikiki and the stadium, and it's saturday. BTW the Honolulu Marathon is on Sunday morning, now that f*&^ s up traffic! People in Hawaii love to tailgate, and they usually open the parking lot 3 or 4 hours before events, no announcement yet though. If you planned to get there early you'll have no problem. But there are only 8000 parking places for a 50,000 seat stadium, so it does fill up. The easiest way to get to Aloha stadium from Waikiki is to take H1 west, the just before the airport get on H201, and stay in one of the right lanes. After about 3-4 miles, you'll come over a large hill and see the stadium ahead of you on the left. The next exit will be 1D(I think) for H3 and stadium, get off there, and stay left, (don't get on H3, or a long and scenic detour you will have!). You'll come to a intersection with 2 lanes going left, go left, this is Kahuapaani St., and get in the right lanes, these go straight into the parking lot.
Definitely see some sites while you all are out here, Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl Cemetary, Polynesian cultural Center, and possibly some big surf on the North Shore. Just another pic to show you what lies here in Hawaii.

Thank you Kailua for all your great tips! You are a gem!
Peace!

I know. The parking lot where the Flea Market is going on.:wink: :drool: Lots of Fleas, Ticks, and smell old Hawaiian t-shirts.

newworldorder said:

Those Devils...

:lmao: that has got to be the best post ever.

Back
Top Bottom