Hawaii - December 9 - Part XVIII (Continued)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
trevster2k said:
Karaoke is from 6pm to 10pm but June mentioned anyone interested in coming after the luau could book the room from 10 to midnight after the initial booking. The room only holds about 30 people.

I don't know exactly where the place is or the name of it yet. It is in Waikiki somewhere.

Please keep us updated on that, I may be interested in going to this one.

:drunk:

The karaoke is not an official event persay, just a bunch of us from the Hawaii group who aren't going to the luau since we have already been there.

The room only holds 30 people but if more people are interested, it can be discussed at gatherings leading up to the concert.

I am not organizing it so I don't feel comfortable in divulging more details in case in ends up causing problems. Although, if people want to continue partying after the luau at Karaoke, feel free to organize or book the room after us. I can PM the place to you.

Btw, Sunday nights are pretty quiet in Waikiki, well, they were in April. We were walking around the streets at midnight, and it was like a ghosttown.

Anyone got the skinny on taking the bus to the stadium? I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I'm a newbie to this thread, so sorry if it's already been discussed.

Just want to be sure the buses run late enough to get us back to Waikiki after the show, anyone use the bus system in Honolulu before?

http://www.thebus.org/

Home page of The Bus system in Honolulu. Click on system map. I think route 42 was the one. In regards to how late they run coming back to Waikiki from the Aloha Stadium, it don't look good. But they may have a shuttle service or something, if not, hope for a lot of taxis.

For bus info, PM hotpepper-she was looking to see how many might be interested in getting a bus together. I know the stadium is approximately 12 miles from Waikiki, and it can be anywhere from a 25 min ride to double that depending on time of day and traffic. I don't know about The Bus tho but they run regularly-I'd imagine contacting them they could give you the stop locations, fares and times.

What hotel are you staying at? Maybe someone might be willing to have you ride along if you are staying at the same hotel. Just some suggestions :shrug: :wink:

I thought the bus website (I looked at it months ago) said they have different service for special events--where the fare's a little more money (a couple bucks), that they do that for football at Aloha Stadium. I hope they consider the concert a special event....if not, I'm sure we could always cram 4-5 people in a cab and it wouldn't be horrifyingly expensive...

I agree with the local poster about the Stadium not being a wasteland but compared to arena concerts, it is. You can't just walk the length of the building and run into a 7-11 or Starbucks and pop back.

ScreenHunter_3.jpg

She is correct that there are businesses in the area. The point that a return trip to Waikiki will take an hour and half at least is spot on, so keep that in mind for anyone who wants to freshen up.

Someone has contacted the Stadium regarding the swap meet and as far as we know the information received is that it has been cancelled for that day. We hope it isn't. The information regarding the stadium is extremely vague up to this point which sucks since it would be nice to know to assist with planning for that day.

Last edited:
Okay, for anyone interested, I just called The Bus and got the low-down. The regular route to the stadium is the 42, but their last pickup is at 10:54 pm.

On weekend's they have 2 late buses that come by the stadium, with the following pick-up times:

40 - 12:14 am & 1:11 am
62 - 11:52 am & 1:02 am

Both of these buses will take you to the Ala Moana Center, but there is no bus service from Ala Moana past 1:00 am, so if you get there after that you will have to cab it back to your hotel. However, the lady at The Bus office assured me that cabs are available at Ala Moana all night.

Ala Moana looks pretty centrally located from my map, so shouldn't be hard to get back to local hotels from there, and like Rosephile suggested, if there were a number of us going towards Waikiki, we could pile into a cab and save the fare.

Hope this helps! I think this may be what we are going to do, not sure yet. Can't bear the thought of getting in massive traffic and sitting for 3 hours to get out of a parking lot, AFTER having stood in a GA line for God knows how many hours and dancing my butt off to U2 for (hopefully!) many, many hours. Bus may be able to bypass some of the getting out of the parking lot traffic at least.

My 2 cents, hope to see everyone there! Anyone at the Resortquest Waikiki Beach Hotel? (Sorry, if I'm in the wrong thread for that, like I said earlier, newbie to this thread. )

Looks like the bus system is no help to U2 fans for this show.

I read that last pickup thing for 42 also.

A couple of late bus runs separated by an hour ain't gonna be too much help to a stadium of fans.:wink:

And apparently someone mentioned cabs don't frequent the area so that is no help either.

Lots of logistical problems to overcome, Rent a car and have no place to park it until the gates open. We may have to organize a driversaveaspace for the GA line. People get dropped off in line while the driver finds a temporary parking spot until the gates open. Park the car when the gates open and return to line. Gawd, what a mess this could be.

Karaoke, Sunday Dec 10

Hi :)

As Trev mentioned, we're trying to organize an informal karaoke, with food :corn: , drinks :yes: , and singing :whistle: in a room that holds about 30 people.

This is being planned for Sunday December 10. June has booked a room from 6pm to 10pm, and I am thinking to book the room from 10pm to midnight.

I will be going to the luau that Sunday (31 people so far, want to join?), and will be back in Waikiki between 9 and 10 pm. If you are interested in doing the karaoke please let me or June know. You can find our contact info on the hawaii message board: zootopiahawaii.proboards91.com

Have fun with the preparations! Only 3 weeks to go!!! :bonodrum:

Hans

I know though that for big events at the stadium they run special express buses before (a couple of hours so no help for GAers) and after the event. However, they usually don't announce them until a couple of days before so there may still be buses...

I'm doing GA (lining up early in the morning), but my mom will be arriving in the afternoon because she has a seat. Sounds like our best plan would probably be for her to rent a car and bring it in the afternoon so we don't have to worry about trying to get a cab/bus back to the hotel. It sounds like it could potentially be a real hassle. I probably won't feel like dealing with that after a long day in GA. :huh:

I just wanted to stop in and take a moment to commend all those who have been so kind to post and share information here--U2 has got some extremely resourceful fans! :wink:

leeannml said:
Okay, for anyone interested, I just called The Bus and got the low-down. The regular route to the stadium is the 42, but their last pickup is at 10:54 pm.

On weekend's they have 2 late buses that come by the stadium, with the following pick-up times:

40 - 12:14 am & 1:11 am
62 - 11:52 am & 1:02 am

Both of these buses will take you to the Ala Moana Center, but there is no bus service from Ala Moana past 1:00 am, so if you get there after that you will have to cab it back to your hotel. However, the lady at The Bus office assured me that cabs are available at Ala Moana all night.

Ala Moana looks pretty centrally located from my map, so shouldn't be hard to get back to local hotels from there, and like Rosephile suggested, if there were a number of us going towards Waikiki, we could pile into a cab and save the fare.

Hope this helps! I think this may be what we are going to do, not sure yet. Can't bear the thought of getting in massive traffic and sitting for 3 hours to get out of a parking lot, AFTER having stood in a GA line for God knows how many hours and dancing my butt off to U2 for (hopefully!) many, many hours. Bus may be able to bypass some of the getting out of the parking lot traffic at least.

My 2 cents, hope to see everyone there! Anyone at the Resortquest Waikiki Beach Hotel? (Sorry, if I'm in the wrong thread for that, like I said earlier, newbie to this thread. )

Hey, Leeannml, my two friends & I are at the RQ Waikiki Beach as well! There we go, maybe we could stick together if cabs are required. :)

Gah! So I've been busy/lazy and haven't booked accomodations yet..

anyone have ideas on where to stay? I tried all the travel sites but seems all the hotels are booked up now..

bender29 said:

anyone have ideas on where to stay? I tried all the travel sites but seems all the hotels are booked up now..

:ohmy: Good luck friend! I booked about a month ago and it was next to impossible to find something less than $300/night. I had to go through a local travel agency and waited about two weeks before they found a reasonably priced package.

bender29 said:

Good luck! Hopefully you're able to find something. It's a very busy time of year, and like Lies said, most places are all booked up. There's a marathon, Pearl Harbor day, along with a host of other things going on that week.

I can't wait to get out of all this rain and horrible storms to the sweet sweet sunshine of Hawaii! :D

CAMPING.... 5 bucks a night for a camping permit in Honolulu. That's what I am doing. All you need's a tent. Showers are included

SMB

Shawn Bonneau said:
CAMPING.... 5 bucks a night for a camping permit in Honolulu.
Okay, thought I'd chime in on this one. Is this with a private campground? If so, what is the name of the place? I honestly don't know of any private campgrounds anywhere near the stadium.

On the other hand, if you are referring to a State-issued camping permit, then I would urge you to make sure you have this lined up. As far as I know, camping permits are only issued for specific sites, but are good for thirty days. There is generally a queue when the next month's permits go on sale and I would guess that December has already finished.

While you might think you could just toss a sleeping bag down in a park or on the beach, I would NOT advise anyone to go that route. Hawaii has a HUGE homeless problem and many homeless regard certain park areas and beaches as their turf. Many of these people are cool, but I guarantee that some of them will not take kindly to a bunch of outsiders innundating "their" space.

Instead of taking chances, I would urge you to continue efforts to find accomodations. Think out of the box. There are three or four hostels in Waikiki although I'm not sure of their lock out times. There is at least one hotel near the airport like a Best Western or something like that and a number of smaller Waikiki hotels, all of which may not be on the travel agents' lists.

You might even consider staying on a neighbor island until the day of the concert and flying over that morning. There is a huge air fare war going on now and fares are $19 each way. Now that would obviously leave you stranded after the concert since the last planes depart at around 9:00, but if your flight home leaves the next morning maybe you just go down early to the airport for the night. That's still better than trying to camp out IMO.

Also, that $300 room, while obviously a splurge can be split amongst a bunch of people. I guarantee that having a room to go home to -- even a $300 room -- will be better than getting shut out.

I am sure the contact information that you need is all available on the internet, but let me know if there's something I can do locally to help. Bottom line, though, is start NOW and do NOT give up. Again, you are going to have BIG problems this late in the game because so many people fly over for the marathon and their rooms are usualy packaged with their airfare, but keep trying.

Last edited:
I predict...

3rd Encore
THE SAINTS ARE COMING (U2 + Eddie and Mike McCreddy)
ROCKIN IN THE FREE WORLD (U2 + Pearl Jam)

:drool:

IT SO OBVIOUS THAT RITFW WILL BE PLAYED!!! :hyper:

Last edited:
SO since these Hawaii threads are sooo long, can everyone say if you have seats of GA? Just curious who will be around sections MM, now Im so worried from the thread about people sitting down in seats. I will die if people in my section dont want to stand. Someone please assure me this wont happen!?!?

One thing we have to remember, unless there are a few casual U2 fans in Honolulu, its gonna be mostly DIEHARD fans at the last show. What "casual" fan is gonna travel all the way to Hawaii to see U2? It's gonna be a show for diehards. So, maybe they'll play a lotta rare stuff

SMB

Don't know if anyone is attending the OTX luau and/or Hard Rock Cafe party, but the web site has Rosario Dawson as the special MC at these events. I know these events aren't "official" Zootop parties, but still seem like fun....although I'll stick to the local beach bars.

U2SJ said:
SO since these Hawaii threads are sooo long, can everyone say if you have seats of GA? Just curious who will be around sections MM, now Im so worried from the thread about people sitting down in seats. I will die if people in my section dont want to stand. Someone please assure me this wont happen!?!?

Hi U2SJ!

You won't see me sitting in my seat. My friend Julie and I will be up dancing the WHOLE time. :dancing:

I'm in MM - Level 1, row 24. I'll be flying in three weeks! I can hardly stand the wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom