Hawaii - December 9 - Part XVIII (Continued)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carek1230 said:
:applaud: We're all paid and reserved for the luau! Thanks to Allegra for getting the word out! We're catching the bus at the Sheraton 4:30. The reservationist at Germaine's was sooooooooo nice! This is going to be a magical event! Thanks to all who were involved in making the arrangements!

Your welcome! :wink:

And I will be riding the bus from the Hyatt.

Carek1230 said:
OMG this is going to be sooooooooo much fun! Someone should design a shirt for us all to wear or decide we should all wear red again or something catchy! :wink:

Well, I finally got out of the house today and went shopping in Dallas. I now have 2 (RED) shirts. I have INSPI(RED) AND DESI(RED). Too bad that the Desired shirt isn't the color red. Now I have to decide which one to wear on what day. I'll definitely will be wearing my U2 Vertigo sweat coat. I wish it had the big U2 on the back like the ones from Europe. Why do the Europeans get all the cool U2 stuff?

Liesje said:
What exactly is the luau? I've definitely never been to Hawaii before :reject:

Basically, it's a big huge dinner with people you know or don't know. There will be dancers and fire twirlers. It's like a Vegas dinner show, but outside on the beach and Hawaiian style. Some luaus will be like it was way back when, like the days before settlers came onto the island, and some are modern.

Here are some more facts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luau

One note about the luau, last time in April some people were getting bitten by something in the sand. I wore shoes and pants so I didn't notice it but some others felt like they were being bit. Also, it was a bit cooler there as you are next to the beach so bring a light jacket.

Oh, make sure you are noisy, they like that.:wink:

trevster2k said:
One note about the luau, last time in April some people were getting bitten by something in the sand. I wore shoes and pants so I didn't notice it but some others felt like they were being bit.
:yikes:

^it wasn't life threatening or anything. But it did cause itchiness for the persons affected.

I might suggest Avon's Skin So Soft. It repels all kinds of pesky insects AND it smells good too. I think you can still get it in those individually wrapped wipe packets for those of us travelling by plane who are limited to liquids and gels....I will look into it. I've used this stuff camping and whatnot, it's really great and it works.

trevster2k said:
^it wasn't life threatening or anything. But it did cause itchiness for the persons affected.
Still.. the idea of some unknown "thing" hiding in the sand and biting my toes is a wee bit disturbing :lol: That's okay though, I'm bringing shoes ;)

Allegra said:

Basically, it's a big huge dinner with people you know or don't know. There will be dancers and fire twirlers. It's like a Vegas dinner show, but outside on the beach and Hawaiian style. Some luaus will be like it was way back when, like the days before settlers came onto the island, and some are modern.

Cool, so for this one do we have to dance too, or we just watch them dance? If it's the latter, we may be in, depending on $$$. If it's the former, I dunno b/c I've got a bum foot and standing all day for GA on Saturday's already going to be pushing it. I'm supposed to wear this giant cast, but it's hideous, especially when wearing summer clothes.

Go to the luau! You guys will really enjoy it.....good food, good company, great entertainment and a taste of the islands in lots of ways. You can get the bus there or take your own transportation. If you rent a wheelchair (your hotel may have one for you to use!) the buses can accomodate that. I've got GA too and can't stand for very long so I bought this cool combination walking cane fold out chair thingie I am going to use. In Vegas last year my sister was in an air cast with a broken ankle. She had crutches and we rented her a wheelchair and we were in GA. It wasn't bad at all. We got into the elipse too. I stayed along one of the ramps with my sister and all 4 of the band members came right by us and Bono sang Sometimes right in front of us! So it's not too bad being in a cast. Hawaiians are especially nice to visitors especially to those that are "disabled".

Also look for coupons.....if you have the Entertainment book there's coupons for Germaines and look online as well. Once there you can sit so there's not a lot of walking around.:wink:

OK, Phil said he wants to go so we'll probably sign up!

I haven't decided yet if I'm wearing the cast for the show. It does help a great deal....except then my good leg is off :huh:

Liesje said:

Cool, so for this one do we have to dance too, or we just watch them dance? If it's the latter, we may be in, depending on $$$. If it's the former, I dunno b/c I've got a bum foot and standing all day for GA on Saturday's already going to be pushing it. I'm supposed to wear this giant cast, but it's hideous, especially when wearing summer clothes.

No, you don't have to dance. It's mostly them doing the show.

There are moments where audience participation is involved. A couple of times people are invited on the stage, like whoever wants to go learn the hula or island dances. You don't have to go but I remember a full stage both times.:wink:

trevster2k said:
There are moments where audience participation is involved. A couple of times people are invited on the stage, like whoever wants to go learn the hula or island dances. You don't have to go but I remember a full stage both times.:wink:

Yep that stage gets full of wanna be dancers.

I have a great shot of Hans doing his hula and learning another dance. I didn't go up last time but I believe this time I will.

Karaoke is from 6pm to 10pm but June mentioned anyone interested in coming after the luau could book the room from 10 to midnight after the initial booking. The room only holds about 30 people.

I don't know exactly where the place is or the name of it yet. It is in Waikiki somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom