Hawaii, April 8th (and 9th?) - Aloha Stadium! - Part XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
topherchris9 said:
Does anyone know where this "secret venue" for the ETS luau is?

Nope, but since you live in Hawaii, I was wondering if you could recommend a good luau. (I'm skeptical of the ETS U2 tribute 'luau'.) Not too many on Oahu from what I heard.

Last edited:
There's 3 "good ones" I've heard of.....Germaine's Luau which is about a 40 mi drive outside of Waikiki, then there is Paradise Cove Luau (I did this one back in 1982--it was real good) and this one you take a bus out to the cove, about a 30 min drive outside of Waikiki...and there is the Monday night weekly luau at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. This is the one I want to do. It's $90pp adult, includes lei greeting, drinks, traditional Polynesian luau buffet food including dessert, and island entertainment).

I don't know if there are any smaller ones, but these are the big ones geared toward tourists.

I recommend Germaine's luau. It's a lot of fun and there's tons of food. I would skip any at a hotel in Waikiki. There is also Paradise Cove that seems to get good reviews from locals. Both offer 2 to 4 free drinks for each person. I'd highly advise finding coupons in the travel magazines that you can find on any street corner newspaper rack in Waikiki, without a coupon, they can run upwards of $50 to $80 each.
The Polynesian Cultural Center has an awesome one as well, with two major drawbacks. It's at least and hour drive there and back, and they do not serve alcohol as they're run by the Mormon church.
I have no idea where this 'tribute luau' is, or if it's combined with the ETS Night Out party so I can't make suggestions whether to go to that or one of the others here.

Last edited:
Oops...sorry Carek, I forgot about the Royal Hawaiian one. I think that would be a good bet as well, since that hotel was the one of the very first ones here in Waikiki.

topherchris...

The U2 tribute luau is the one put on by ETS. I am just not sure it is really a luau.

topherchris9 said:
Hey Carek, are you from Hawaii...or just visited here a lot?
In regards to the inactive volcanoes here, they're everywhere you look. I think all the mountains here were formed by them. Diamond Head and Hanauma Bay are two of the most famous, but all on this island are inactive. Even if you go to the Big Island to see the active ones, I have heard you don't get to get close enough to see lava during the day, although you should be able to see the glow in the evening as the sun sets. It's unfortunate that it's so expensive these days to do a day trip. My partner tells me that not so long ago, you could buy an interisland airline ticket from the ATMs from one of the local banks for like $50 each way.
Indeed, a lot of the bars and clubs here stay open until 4 am. I can also recommend Lulu's restaurant in Waikiki. It's at the corner of Kalakaua and Kapahulu. The kitchen is open 24 hours and for the hardcore partiers, the bar is only closed for 2 hours a day, between 4am and 6am. :rockon:
Someone suggested not to buy the expensive souvenirs at hotel gift shops. I second that, wait until the swap meet at the stadium, or an ABC store. They're much cheaper and the same stuff.
I've heard the same rumor about the 2nd show...we shall see!

:wave: Hey Topherchris...I know I sound like a tour director or islander, huh?!! No, I live in San Diego, but I've been to Hawaii 4 times. I've only been to Honolulu once tho (aside from change of planes at HNL from outer islands to/from the mainland). Last time to Oahu was in 1982, so it's been a while. I love to travel and always research before I go anywhere. I've visited the Big Island once, Kauai once, and Maui 4 times. Don't think I'd go back to Maui, but I would love to visit visit Lanai, and Kauai again.

This trip I'm really going to see U2, hopefully 2 shows, but there are a few things I would like to see again especially since I am at such a different part of my life now. Hehe the 1982 trip was the relaxing "it's time to make babies" trip. This time I'm on my own in a new Chapter of my life, and my son is nearly 20! I am ready to have a good time though, can't wait :wink:

topherchris9 said:
Oops...sorry Carek, I forgot about the Royal Hawaiian one. I think that would be a good bet as well, since that hotel was the one of the very first ones here in Waikiki.

:up: This is the one I would like to go to, mostly because of the historic hotel. And the Mai Tai bar is at the Royal Hawaiian aka Pink Palace hotel (everything is pink) and I want to try some of their pink beer!!

San Diego huh? I just relocated here from there about a year ago. I spent nearly 10 years there and miss it a lot. What part of town are you in?
Hopefully I'll get see two shows too! I have Yellow section C seats now, and the second show I plan to grab some GA and get in the thick of it all. I was so excited when I found out they were stopping here as I wasn't able to make it back to the mainland for any of the shows on the west coast. My best friend in San Diego called me on his cell and I got to hear the entire encore.
Welcome back to Hawaii! I hope it's all that you remembered! I hope your son has a love of U2 like his mom.

Carek1230 said:

:up: This is the one I would like to go to, mostly because of the historic hotel. And the Mai Tai bar is at the Royal Hawaiian aka Pink Palace hotel (everything is pink) and I want to try some of their pink beer!!

I'd like to go to this one too. I found a website where you can book for a discount ($80), but there may be better coupons/deals out there. :hmm:

Again I believe the ETS Tribute Luau is an excuse for a big party (which in Hawaii any excuse for a big party turns quickly into a "luau" of some sorts) of U2 fans drawn together but I am sure it will be more like what we mainlanders are used to as a BBQ, and they will be giving away wristbands and other U-2 related stuff and I believe there was mention of a U2 tribute band as entertainment.

I'd rather go to a real authentic Hawaiian/Polynesian Luau with the traditional imu, foods, drink, and especially the entertainment. I'll be seeing U2 in concert, I don't need a tribute band to entertain me, no disrespect to whoever ETS brings in as entertainment. :wink:

Thanks Carek. I love photography. That's been my passion for many years now.

I have a very bare wall in my kitchen, and I'm going to blow up and frame a few of them, and put them on that wall.

I took a ton more that I didn't post, that were taken at the same angle, all of them timed about a minute apart. With those ones I'm going to blend them all together to make one picture where you can see the sun gradually setting into the ocean. It should look pretty cool, but we'll see. I haven't ever done something like that before, so it will be an interesting project.

ThoraSEB said:
Wow - some great information over the weekend!

For anyone who's interested, here are the pictures I took while I was there over Christmas. Be forewarned, most of them are sunsets. I had a project in mind when I was taking them. :)

www.flickr.com/photos/sharoneb

Great :camera:, Thora!!
I was already hoping you would share some pictures with us.
And don't worry that most of them are sunsets.
:heart: sunsets.

I also remember you saying that you took pictures with an underwater camera, when you went snorkeling.
I'd love to see some of those too!

I was on Oahu in July.
For a very short stay though (flying in on Monday and leaving on Friday).
Didn't really take a lot of pictures.
Unfortunately.
:(
Wish I could have stayed longer.
Funny thing though, when I left, I thought to myself: One day I'm gonna come back here!

ThoraSEB said:
Thanks Carek. I love photography. That's been my passion for many years now.

I have a very bare wall in my kitchen, and I'm going to blow up and frame a few of them, and put them on that wall.

I took a ton more that I didn't post, that were taken at the same angle, all of them timed about a minute apart. With those ones I'm going to blend them all together to make one picture where you can see the sun gradually setting into the ocean. It should look pretty cool, but we'll see. I haven't ever done something like that before, so it will be an interesting project.

Go for it!!
Sure sounds like it will become one amazing picture.
And be sure to show us the result, when you're done with it.

You know what's also real pretty, zooming in on the sun.

Last edited:
Wonderful! This thread is actually about Hawaii again.

I remember playing with some jellyfish that had washed ashore when I was a kid. No stings for me, I was careful!

One place I haven't seen anybody mention in this thread is Punchbowl. If anyone has any military in their family, it's a good place to go to. We used to go there regularly to pay our respects. Probably best for people who will be in Honolulu for a while.

Miroslava said:
Thanks Mr. Baw! :D

:hmm: The Buffalo people are going to be feeling right at home with that 4:00 last call.

Michelle: better start a-practicin'
I know the other Buffalo dweller doesn't need it. :D

4:00 am last call :drool: Just like home :cute:

Yeah, I think he is a little more experienced than I :wink:

I've made it to a few, but not that many :drunk:

What do people from Buffalo call themselves? Could look it up, but :lazy:

:lol:

I think they're called "People from Buffalo".

In keeping with the useful information regarding Jellyfish and Spiders, Here's some information to help in avoiding a shark attack. Hope it helps. :)

Question: What can one do to reduce the risk of being attacked by a shark?

Answer: By learning more about sharks, and using a little common sense, the risk of injury can be greatly reduced. The State of Hawaii Shark Task Force recommends the following measures to reduce the risk of being bitten by a shark:

1 Don't swim alone.
2 Swim in guarded areas.
3 Avoid swimming at dusk.
4 Don't swim with bleeding wounds.
5 Avoid murky water.
6 Don't wear bright jewelry or high contrasting colors.
7 Refrain from excessive splashing.
8 Don't swim if sharks are known to be present.
9 Be alert if turtles and fish are fleeing the area.
10 Remove speared fish from the water.

I know I'm going to keep an eye on those turtles. :yes:

There were a couple of people who were looking to room. If you are interested in rooming with me let me know. Email me or pm me and we'll go from there. I also posted on the yahoo group.

geez, i was *totally* planning on swimming with a bleeding wound. you're a buzz kill. :down:

ok, we've covered jellyfish, spiders, and sharks. haven't we left a few things out? alcohol poisoning? sun stroke? bacterial infection from filthy feces-contaminated sand?

this thread is KILLING ME!

:tsk:

geez, i was *totally* planning on swimming with a bleeding wound. you're a buzz kill. :down:

ok, we've covered jellyfish, spiders, and sharks. haven't we left a few things out? alcohol poisoning? sun stroke? bacterial infection from filthy feces-contaminated sand?

this thread is KILLING ME!

:tsk:
eta: fleeing fish and turtles! :lmao: i don't know why, but that really cracks me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom