Hawaii, April 8th (and 9th?) - Aloha Stadium! - Part XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
trevster2k said:
Good news for the wave babies, :applaud:

ScreenHunter_8.jpg

No jellyfish during our stay, well, hopefully.:)

I don't understand.... when are there more jellyfish? full moon or new moon?

-It would make sense duing full moon (high tide) but still unsure

I don't know how they move around either, all I have read is that they come ashore 10 days after a full moon. But that calendar is from a Jellyfish warning website for Hawaii.

A group of jellyfish is often called a "smack". Many species of jellyfish can congregate into large swarms or "blooms". The formation of these blooms is a complex process that depends on ocean currents, nutrients, temperature and oxygen content.

Two researchers/marine biologists have proven that invasion periods are 8-9 days following a full moon, or 1-2 days after the last quarter moon of the month (lunar phase).

Lifeguards/beaches will post warnings. The affected beaches in Oahu are usually Ala Moana Beach Park swim channel, Waikiki Beach, Hanauma Bay, Pokai Bay and Makaha Surfing Beach. The box jellyfish are usually swimming at morning high tide, not beached. The invasions can last from several hours to 1-2 days.

:eyebrow:

Miroslava said:
What are you checking up on me for? :mad:

Just was admiring how many conversations you are having with so many people about SOOOOOOOOOOO many things.

You get around girl.:sexywink:
You are definitely a post-whore.:|

You forget that it is my job to get around and kick asses :drool:

I became a mod in March 2005, so I hadn't been here that long and didn't have that many posts... apparently my bitchiness had been demonstrated by then though :D

Last edited:
I noticed some folks were interested in the Polynesian Cultural Centre, in case anyone doesn't know, it's about an hour away from Waikiki, a whole day there won't let you see everything so plan on starting out early, and it costs money.:wink: $50 bucks just to get in the door, $80 for the luau package up to over $200:ohmy:

Miroslava said:
You forget that it is my job to get around and kick asses :drool:

I became a mod in March 2005, so I hadn't been here that long and didn't have that many posts... apparently my bitchiness had been demonstrated by then though :D

Kickin ass is better than being an ass kisser.:kiss:

Hmmm, being a mod is most definitely a job... have you seen how many tards we have around here?

I mean, just think back as to how many of your stooopid threads I have had to babysit, close, move, etc? :|

Pop Artist said:
Look at what was in my mailbox when I got home!

HawaiiTicket.jpg

(I blurred some parts)

:hyper:

:drool: WOHA!! Congrats!! I cannot wait untill I get mine too.

BTW- I hope this question is not to stupid, but could someone die from a jellyfish sting? Oh, and is it true you have to pee on the sting to relive the pain?

Carmelu2fan said:

:drool: WOHA!! Congrats!! I cannot wait untill I get mine too.

BTW- I hope this question is not to stupid, but could someone die from a jellyfish sting? Oh, and is it true you have to pee on the sting to relive the pain?

Jellyfish stings can kill, but very rarely.

And yes, peeing on the sting does relieve the pain. Although you don't have to do it. It's just a good old-fashioned remedy--something about urine neutralizing the venom. Apparently, the stings are excruciatingly painful.:mad:

bfloxng said:

Jellyfish stings can kill, but very rarely.

And yes, peeing on the sting does relieve the pain. Although you don't have to do it. It's just a good old-fashioned remedy--something about urine neutralizing the venom. Apparently, the stings are excruciatingly painful.:mad:

:ohmy: I did not believe my boyfriend when he said that he heard someone had died from a sting! Do you think that the person would have to be stung multiple times for that to happen?

Oh yeah last question ,I promise. What do the doctors do to treat the sting? Does it leave a terrible scar?

Ok I am done, thank you.:reject:

bfloxng said:
I just pulled up a pair of section KK row 25 (Orange).
TM is ridiculous. Sell the damned thing out already!

I am having a :laugh: with TM.

'Cause I got a pattern.

I've checked for 4 in a row.
First it was section E.
Next time I checked it was section D.
And guess what section it was now.
C.

:giggle:

I was stung once by a teeny one before... only seen that type in Mexico... it sucked :mad: It was dead too (was in the sand) so it wasnt as bad as it could have been. I don't think I have a scar :hmm:

Hmm, I believe those lil bastards are just native to that beach in Mexico :huh:

Last edited:
All the jellyfish talk, had me wondering what these box jellyfish exactly look like. :reject: (I have an idea, but I'm not entirely sure. My childhood memory of big blue ones stranded on Dutch Northsea beaches ain't helping much, I'm afraid)

So I went searching and stumbled across this:
http://www.aloha.com/~lifeguards/alsting1.html#boxjellyfish

Hope this answers your questions, Carmel.

First Aid for
BOX JELLYFISH STINGS:

Two concepts are key to treating box jellyfish stings. One is to prevent firing of any undischarged nematocysts remaining on the skin, thus preventing the injury from getting worse. The second is to treat the symptoms and pain caused by already-fired nematocysts. The following first aid treatment, based on current Australian research, is recommended for the stings of all species of box jellyfish:

1. Immediately flood the area with household vinegar to keep undischarged nematocysts from firing. This does not relieve pain, but prevents additional stings.
2. Never rub the area with sand or anything else.
3. Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of room temperature tap water for at least 15 minutes. If vision blurs, or the eyes continue to tear, hurt, swell, or are light sensitive after irrigating, see a doctor.
4. Pluck off any vinegar-soaked tentacles with a stick or other tool.
5. If the victim has shortness of breath, weakness, muscle cramps, palpitations or any other generalized symptoms, take them to an emergency room.
6. For pain relief, apply ice packs. If pain becomes unbearable, go to an emergency room. No studies support applying heat to box jellyfish stings.
Contradictory studies exist on the effectiveness of meat tenderizer, baking soda, papaya, or commercial sprays (containing aluminum sulfate and detergents) on nematocyst stings. These substances may cause further damage. Some kinds of meat tenderizer, for instance, can cause skin peeling. In one U.S. fatality from the box jellyfish, Chiropsalmus quadrumanus, rescuers placed meat tenderizer almost immediately on the affected arm. The child was soon comatose and later died.

Alcohol and human urine are common nematocyst remedies, but both can be harmful. An Australian study reports that both alcohol and urine caused massive discharge of box jellyfish nematocysts.

Most Hawaii box jellyfish stings disappear by themselves. Because of this, even harmful therapies can appear to work. A key concept in the first aid of any injury is: Do no harm. Therefore, avoid applying unproven, possibly harmful substances to stings.

Occasionally, nematocyst toxins cause lymph nodes near a sting site to swell. If a red streak develops between the two areas, or if either area becomes red, warm and tender, see a doctor immediately. (See Staph, Strep and General Wound Care for more about infection.)

Few box jellyfish stings in Hawaii cause life-threatening reactions, but this is always a possibility. Some people are extremely sensitive to the venom; a few have allergic reactions. Consider even the slightest breathing difficulty, or altered level of consciousness, a medical emergency. Call for help and use an automatic epinephrine injector if available.

Last edited:
Miroslava said:
Hmmm, being a mod is most definitely a job... have you seen how many tards we have around here?

I mean, just think back as to how many of your stooopid threads I have had to babysit, close, move, etc? :|

It sounds hauntingly similar to working on a grammar school playground!

Again, I have no problem with having fun here (and god knows I have had my share here), but was just trying to make a point to distinguish between interesting/fun off topic posts and the ton of other posts that consisted of little more than:

:wave:

:shrug:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom