Hawaii, April 8th (and 9th?) - Aloha Stadium! - Part XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
junebuglaura said:
I have a few questions. I have read a bunch of the previous threads, but go lost in a sea of posts. So please forgive me if this has all been covered before....

When are people planning on lining up for GA?[/B]

We dont know and it is hard to make plans so far in advance. One would assume that the line will start overnight, what time? Who knows? Considering the number of zootopians going and how much planning they seem to be doing, I would assume it will be an early line. They started the line in Portland sometime around 10:00 PM or so the night before. Hopefully that won't be the case in Hawaii...

junebuglaura said:
How does a stadium show compare to an arena show?

It doesn't. It is hard to explain. I think this is probably just better understood by looking at pictures of the outdoor show. Even a front row at a stadium is not close to a front row to an Arena, and the differences just increase from there. You have to factor in many things such as weather, etc. Not all the differences are negative. Hearing 80,000 people singing along (which fine, we won't have that many in Hawaii) is ridiculous :love:

junebuglaura said:
Also, is it correct that there is an 'inner circle' which is filled on a first-come basis?

We're assuming this will be like the European shows were there was not a lottery and the entrance to that "inner circle area" (which is not really comparable to the arena one, it is more of a wave breaker to protect from crowd surges) was first come first served. Of course, it is probably best to wait until Mexico to see how it is handled.

junebuglaura said:
Is anyone doing an ETS package?

No one that I know of...

:)

As for how many threads we make, doesnt really matter so long as there's still some usefulness to them we can keep them up. Yes, we've been going Off topic quite a bit and probably no one is more guilty of it than I am, but there have also been a LARGE number of "posts" consisting of nothing more than a "hi" or a random smilie of some sort followed by another smilie... of course we're here to have fun but we also have to be conscious of not posting just for the sake of posting something. :shrug: There are people still looking at these threads for information. :lol:

Last edited:
Miroslava said:
but there have also been a LARGE number of "posts" consisting of nothing more than a "hi" or a random smilie of some sort followed by another smilie

Damn you, Miroslava!
I was hoping that the last thread before Hawaii would consist of only:

:hyper:

Next post

:hyper: :hyper:

Next post

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Next post

:combust:

Next post

:faint:

I was really looking forward to it.
So you're saying that ain't gonna happen.
I am cry :sad:

Last edited:
Lila64 said:
did you try a place like Home Depot? :shrug:

ThoraSEB said:
:hmm: The only store that comes to my mind other than Home Depot is Canadian Tire, but that isn't very helpful as it's a Canadian chain.

Lila64 said:
Home Depot, Lowes,... Or call the local fire dept. or police station perhaps :shrug:

Thanks for the suggestions, Lila64 and ThoraSEB!

I wanted to go to Any Mountain - The Great Outdoor Store last weekend.
But that was on Sunday and they were already closed when I got there.

I thought I'd give it a try there first today.
And low and behold, they had the emergency blankets (the foil, aluminium ones)! :happy:
Turns out I was pretty lucky too.
They just got them in today.
And here I was buying 12 of them.
The lady at the store told me they had many people ask for them since the hurricanes.
She also said: Oh no, you're gonna buy our whole supply!
But I left a few for others. ;)

They also sold the light sticks.
But only singles.
Not in a pack of multiples.
And I need 12 of those too.
Those things were damn expensive.
$1.99 a piece.

I'm still Dutch.
So I want them cheaper than that.

Went to the party store and bought 4 packs with 5 thinner ones.
$0.99 a pack.
They're not the ones I want.
But it'll have to do till I have bought others.
I think I'm gonna do look on Ebay.
That will probably be cheapest.

I'm testing one of the thinners one as we speak.
Just to see how long they'll hold.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers, especially this one...

Miroslava said:

We dont know and it is hard to make plans so far in advance. One would assume that the line will start overnight, what time? Who knows? Considering the number of zootopians going and how much planning they seem to be doing, I would assume it will be an early line. They started the line in Portland sometime around 10:00 PM or so the night before. Hopefully that won't be the case in Hawaii...

That was exactly what I was looking for, not a specific time, just a general idea. :)

Okay, I'm almost convinced to go, but I need to figure out ticket and hotel and flight. :confused:

Lila64: An emergency back pack for my work.

We have just started on a third location.
I teach on location 1 and 2.
Some-else is the teacher at this new location.
It's too far to drive there for me.
Besides I'm already busy enough working on the other locations.

Any way, the new location got the old emergency back pack we had.
And I'm buying things, because we need a new one at the locations I work at.

I got to have the back pack with me at all times.
'Cause when an emergency happens(think earthquake, fire, chemical, intruder), I could be stranded with the kids that I teach for a couple of hours.
And we need to be prepared for that.
The back pack contains basic stuff to survive for a little while.

Back pack contains: 12 waterbottles, 20 granola bars, 1 flashlight (with extra batteries), 12 emergency blankets, 1 whistle, 12 lightsticks, notepad and pen, scissors, (duct)tape, plastic bags, portable radio (with extra batteries), a two way "walkie talkie" set (with extra batteries), a first aid kit + a book containing contact and medical information for all pupils.

Last edited:
Read this on @u2.com:

And our friends at ETS have dropped a line to let us know that their flight packages for Hawaii are sold out now, but all other packages -- including the Nite Out party -- are available.

junebuglaura said:
I need to figure out ticket and hotel and flight. :confused:

Ticket:

Some of us here might end up with an extra ticket.

If you want certainty and ticket in hand before you go,
try the "what do you have/want" forums:

http://forum.interference.com/f283.html

http://forum.interference.com/f282.html

www. 4 th rock .com (remove all the spaces)

Tickets seem to be going below face value on ebay.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flight and hotel:

I assume you'll be flying from LA, since you're in Santa Barbara.

Others have said that ATA had the cheapest flights.

Try the following travel search engines:

sidestep

kayak

travelzoo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For packages you might wanna check expedia or pleasantholidays.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hotel:

You could try to see if anybody wants to share a hotel room with you.

Ohana Sky Maile was one of the cheapest hotels.
Most of us here could find.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join the yahoo-group that's mentioned in the first post.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
:censored: that SNL performance just pumped me up ten times more for Hawaii....

The day this show aired, I began the total crazy experience that was the Vertigo Tour... I randomly bought my plane ticket to NYC to go to the "secret" gig in Brooklyn where I experienced my first front row... :drool:

I never thought I would top that experience, and boy was I glad to be wrong...

:censored: :drool:

Thanks Miringeltje and U2 girl.

I just joined the Yahoo group and have been following some of the links from there.

At this point, I'm not sure when I'll be arriving/departing. I'm going to try to make a bonified vacation out of this (get out of Honolulu and see some more of the state). Nevertheless, I'd love to share a hotel room while I'm in the area for the concert.

Miroslava said:
:censored: that SNL performance just pumped me up ten times more for Hawaii....

The day this show aired, I began the total crazy experience that was the Vertigo Tour... I randomly bought my plane ticket to NYC to go to the "secret" gig in Brooklyn where I experienced my first front row... :drool:

I never thought I would top that experience, and boy was I glad to be wrong...

:censored: :drool:

I remember seeing a video of both the SNL performance and the "secret" gig in Brooklyn (from mtvJammed) on this site: homepage.mac.com/elevationusa

Unfortunately it appears that site ain't working anymore! :sad:

Both great performances!
What struck me and I remember most, is the enormous energy.
From especially Bono.
Who seemed ecstatic to be performing their new songs!!

Why?

:confused:

Unless above mentioned site (that doesn't work anymore) was yours.

ETA: :uhoh: I'm top poster in this thread right now!
Miroslava will so come after me with that :madwife: of hers.

Last edited:
Miringeltje said:
Why?

:confused:

Unless above mentioned site (that doesn't work anymore) was yours.

ETA: :uhoh: I'm top poster in this thread right now!
Miroslava will so come after me with that :madwife: of hers.

Miroslava will not come after you, Miri, so long as you are posting about Hawaii.

70 days till the show in Hawaii

Miringeltje said:
Lila64: An emergency back pack for my work.

We have just started on a third location.
I teach on location 1 and 2.
Some-else is the teacher at this new location.
It's too far to drive there for me.
Besides I'm already busy enough working on the other locations.

Any way, the new location got the old emergency back pack we had.
And I'm buying things, because we need a new one at the locations I work at.

I got to have the back pack with me at all times.
'Cause when an emergency happens(think earthquake, fire, chemical, intruder), I could be stranded with the kids that I teach for a couple of hours.
And we need to be prepared for that.
The back pack contains basic stuff to survive for a little while.

Back pack contains: 12 waterbottles, 20 granola bars, 1 flashlight (with extra batteries), 12 emergency blankets, 1 whistle, 12 lightsticks, notepad and pen, scissors, (duct)tape, plastic bags, portable radio (with extra batteries), a two way "walkie talkie" set (with extra batteries), a first aid kit + a book containing contact and medical information for all pupils.

What the heck do you teach? I'm a teacher and these things have never crossed my mind. Does that make me a baaaadddd teacher??? I'm lucky if I have bandaids and tissues!
:reject: 2 years ago we had a massive hail storm that literally made the ceiling start to fall and we had to evacuate our rooms, it was awful, my classroom was flooded too, it was amazing how much stuff was lost and damaged. But still no emergency pack.:ohmy:

Back to Hawaii, I'm watching (recorded) Great Hotels the Kahala Mandarin Oriental on the Travel Channel. Guess where I can't afford to stay! But some good info about Oahu. Getting really excited.:dance:

BTW 11 threads divided by 19 days = .58 threads per day which equals approximately 40.5 new threads over the next 70 days. So a total of 51.5 threads. Hypothetically speaking.:reject: Sorry it is the teacher in me. I actually turned my trip to Barnes and Nobel last night to by the Oahu Revealed book in to a math problem about percentages today. I so need a vacation.:crazy:

Last edited:
You definitely should pick up some info, Lila. At least have some ideas of what you want to do while you are there so you don't spend so much time once THERE trying to decide how to fill your days. Of course a couple days lying on the beach or poolside with some tropical beverages and a good book or some magazines is my idea of a great relaxing vacation!

You might want to take in a luau, find some of the popular places to eat and visit them....the famous bars like Dukes on the beach and the Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai bar.....visit the Cultural Center, shop at the flea market, there's TONS of stuff to do on the beach like the canoe or catamaran sails, snorkeling, surfing, parasailing, windsurfing, glass bottom boat cruises. Shopping :up: Have a Hawaiian Shave Ice :happy: Visit the USS Arizona memorial. Eat some really truly fresh and best tasting pineapple. Get and wear at least ONE fresh flower lei, the aroma is wonderful. Take in a U2 concert or 2......Watch the gorgeous sunsets and even sunrise.

What NOT to do:

Get sunburned, Get lost, Lose your rental car, Get anything stolen, Get sick, Spend all your money, Lose your credit cards or traveller checks, Lose your camera, Sleep all day, Lose your place in the GA line up, get stuck in a rainshower without shelter or an umbrella, Do not go outside without sunscreen, Do not spend too much for souveniers in hotel gift shops and specialty stores--buy at the flea market or ABC Stores.

Lila64 said:
Won't I get lei'd when I land?

No, don't think so.
Not unless it's part of your package.
Or if you arranged for it yourself.
Perhaps it depends on what airline you fly.
:shrug:
I know, it didn't happen for me.

So who put that idea in our head?
Because I was under the impression that it was custom.

TV and movies (Hollywood), I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom