Hawaii, April 8th (and 9th?) - Aloha Stadium! - Part XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nurse chrissi said:

the horse died?:sad:

yeah, but she was good while she lasted!

(it is a sad story but when I was a little kid I was totally smitten with her)

adventuremaui said:
No worries about sharks. Your chances of seeing one are extremely remote. You are more likely to bump into Bono at a 7-11

I recommend that anyone who can afford it spend some time on other islands ... you really haven't seen Hawaii if you spend a week on Oahu. Kauai is amazingly beautiful, Maui is very diverse with great beaches and windsurfing, and the Big Island has the active volcano.

Kauai has several zipline tours that are a lot of fun. There's a 38 mile downhill bike tour on Maui, and Molokini Crater off Maui's coastline is a great place to snorkel. It is sort of like Hanauma Bay only it is a small island and you have to take a boat to get there.

I live on Maui and would be happy to answer any questions. Sort of busy today but I'll monitor this thread as best I can.

Kevin D.
Section CC Row 31 Seats 1&2 .... not bad for buying a week after tickets went on sale!

thanks for the offer of help! Join us anytime. We sometimes talk about the good things in Hawaii. Only recently have we become the Debbie Downer of Threads :wink:

Welcome Kevin D. :)

And I read that first line as

"no worries about skanks" :lol:

Adding you to the list :D

Miroslava said:
Welcome Kevin D. :)

And I read that first line as

"no worries about skanks" :lol:

ME TOOOOOO! :lmao:

so we've posted about spiders and sharks, but really, skanks can be VERY dangerous in Hawaii :yes:

daygloeyes2 said:

Did you know that feline AIDS is the number one killer in all cats? :|

[/debbiedownermoment]

DG!!! :heart: haven't seen you in forever. Come to Hawaii and protect me from FIV, skanks, and jellyfish! :hug:

ok, and i am going to have a debbie downer moment and confess that i have a book called Death in Yellowstone, which is all about how various people have died in Yellowstone National Park.

It's actually quite riveting. :nerd:

It seems that boiling springs and suicides are quite common.

No worries about sharks. Your chances of seeing one are extremely remote. You are more likely to bump into Bono at a 7-11

:lol:
my luck I'll see the shark and not Bono

all skanks should be considered armed and dangerous
Especially the rail skank variety

ruffian said:

:lmao:

Kelly, at arena shows I quit drinking water at about 3:30...but I found at stadium shows i could *easily* leave the rail and get my spot back. lots of people were always coming and going and people were very laid back about it. i'd err on the side of drinking water, and alternate it with stuff that replenishes electrolytes, like Pedialyte or Gatorade

Thank you :)

I have a bladder the size of a pea :reject:.

But I guess I'd rather risk losing my spot than passing out.

Perhaps we need the buddy system :hmm:

250px-Racheldratchdebbie.jpg

"Everyone knows that Hawaii is unsurpassed for swimming, skin diving and surfing, beach combing and exploring tide pools. The beauty and fascination of the sea, however, has to be tempered with understanding of the ocean’s awesome and treacherous power. The dangers of Hawaii’s coastal waters, the many serious accidents every year, are avoidable. Never turn your back on the ocean, even for a moment, especially when you are in waters with breaking waves. “Rogue” waves of abnormal size occasionally rise up unexpectedly. Sets of small and harmless waves are often followed by higher waves that can drag you into powerful currents. "

ok, NEVER turn your back on the ocean...i have images of walking back from the beach to my hotel but pivoting my head around quickly every three seconds to keep an eye on the water...

ruffian said:
ok, and i am going to have a debbie downer moment and confess that i have a book called Death in Yellowstone, which is all about how various people have died in Yellowstone National Park.

It's actually quite riveting. :nerd:

It seems that boiling springs and suicides are quite common.

That actually sounds interesting to me too :nerd:.

I read a story once about a dog that jumped into one of the boiling hot springs . . . and then the owner jumped in trying to rescue the dog. Needless to say, it did not have a happy ending :yikes:.

u2rulesmyworld said:

Dont forget Ecoli

Kelly: you can usually leave and go to the bathroom and get back to your spot until about 1/2 hour before the opening band comes on

But if you are concerened about hydration and peeing then you likely should just show up around noon and hang out toward the back of the inner area, if you plan on camping out all night and being on the front rail(with the other nuts) you should plan on being very dehydrated and tired during the show

kellyahern said:

Perhaps we need the buddy system :hmm:

i think nurse chrissi could make some quick cash inventing some sort of GA medical device...you could keep an IV in for continual hydration and then have one of those leg bags we discussed to carry away, the um, "waste fluids". when your bag is full, you just hand it to some poor venue security dude and attach a new one! genius!

ok, i gotta go to class.

thanks to everyone for getting me SO in the mood for Hawaii!

kellyahern said:

If you are anywhere near me it will not happen
lots of water during the day
Fruit/trail mix
Multi-vitamin/B-complex vitamin
sports drink near show time

:nerd:

kellyahern said:

That actually sounds interesting to me too :nerd:.

I read a story once about a dog that jumped into one of the boiling hot springs . . . and then the owner jumped in trying to rescue the dog. Needless to say, it did not have a happy ending :yikes:.

that story is IN THE BOOK!!!! and let me just say that the guy kinda deserves a Darwin award...nice gesture to rescue the dog, but c'mon...it's BOILING water. :rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1570980217/103-7873574-9792669?v=glance&n=283155

ruffian said:

that story is IN THE BOOK!!!! and let me just say that the guy kinda deserves a Darwin award...nice gesture to rescue the dog, but c'mon...it's BOILING water. :rolleyes:

I am going to steal the "Darwin Award" phrase

I happen to come across many people that earn this award

nurse chrissi said:

I am going to steal the "Darwin Award" phrase

I happen to come across many people that earn this award

:shh:
i'm getting ready to go teach more than a handful in my next class.

nurse chrissi said:

If you are anywhere near me it will not happen

Same here... however, the problem is not necessarily getting your spot back, but rather being able to cut through the people further back that will not necessairly believe your "my friends are up front" story... Not saying it is impossible, but that is certainly the bigger concern :)

Kudos to the poster in Maui that is trying to quell the fears of getting eaten by a shark, catching e.coli from the sand, or being attacked by a jelly. He's right, the chances are extremely remote that any of those will happen. Lifeguards always warn and signs are always posted when the water is unsafe. Be smart and heed the warnings.
As for the rogue waves and high surf, you really only have to keep one thing in mind. Respect the ocean. Don't go in, even just up to your knees if warnings are posted, they mean what they say. There typically isn't really any high surf in April anyway.
Volcanoes? Volcanoes have not erupted on this island for hundreds of years, you don't need to worry about lava or gaseous vents or falling lava shelf into the ocean. It simply doesn't exist on this island. Even on the Big Island, where it's been erupting for 20 years straight, they keep you miles away from where you can get hurt.
Relax, enjoy the island hospitality and aloha spirit!
Nice to see another Hawaii person on here, Kevin!

I don't think anyone was taking any of that doom and gloom talk very seriously, but thanks for the reassurances

Star 101.9 is playing my Boston song :drool: :drool:

LOL! I just didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about Hawaii and the beaches here. It really is a safe place! I even have friends that don't bother locking their front door at night or when they leave the house.
Please let adventuremaui or me know if you have any questions or want suggestions on where to go, what to do, where to eat, where to drink, etc. We can even point you in the right direction to places you might not want to miss that aren't so commercially touristy.
Aloha!

Someone at Zootopia posted this which they say they found at @U2, I found it too in the blog section, hmmm, just another rumour or.................

"According to industry sources, the onsale date for the April 9th Hawaiian show
is
tentatively February 6. Radio stations in Hawaii are gearing up for a "win them
before you
buy them" promotion in preparation for the ticket sale. More news as it becomes
available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom