Hawaii, April 8th (and 9th?) - Aloha Stadium! - Part XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, my kickboxing trainer did tell me something about taking some sort of medicine with me cause you pores can clog up and you get some sort of skin rash or whatever. I stopped listening cause it freaked me out. Guess I'll have to ask him to repeat what he said... :|

ramblin rose said:
I think they're called "People from Buffalo".

In keeping with the useful information regarding Jellyfish and Spiders, Here's some information to help in avoiding a shark attack. Hope it helps. :)

Question: What can one do to reduce the risk of being attacked by a shark?

Answer: By learning more about sharks, and using a little common sense, the risk of injury can be greatly reduced. The State of Hawaii Shark Task Force recommends the following measures to reduce the risk of being bitten by a shark:

1 Don't swim alone.
2 Swim in guarded areas.
3 Avoid swimming at dusk.
4 Don't swim with bleeding wounds.
5 Avoid murky water.
6 Don't wear bright jewelry or high contrasting colors.
7 Refrain from excessive splashing.
8 Don't swim if sharks are known to be present.
9 Be alert if turtles and fish are fleeing the area.
10 Remove speared fish from the water.

I know I'm going to keep an eye on those turtles. :yes:

bring 'em on

Although I find it high suspicious that the best place to snorkel on Oahu is a place called “Shark’s Cove”

What are the Volcanic Hazards Facing you?

Bench collapse can kill
Tephra jets & littoral fountains hurl hot lava
Steam blasts toss rocks
Acid fumes and glass particles can irritate eyes and lungs
Scalding waves burn
Plus, be prepared for personal hazards such as:

Dehydration
Heat stroke
Sunburn & sunstroke
Sprains & abrasions
Getting lost in the dark

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0729_050729_beachsand.html

Building sand castles and playing beach volleyball may be grittier vacation pastimes than you think, according to a new report.

Sand at many U.S. beaches contains bacteria that indicate potentially unhealthy levels of fecal material, the report states. The Clean Beaches Council, a Washington, D.C.-based advocacy group, issued the report earlier this month.

The so-called indicator bacteria, including a benign form of E. coli, pose little health risk to humans. But such microbes serve as warning signs that harmful fecal microorganisms may also be present, according to Walter McLeod, president of the Clean Beaches Council.

"It's sort of like the canary-in-the-coal-mine situation," he said. "If the canary dies, it's not the canary we're concerned about, it's what the canary was exposed to."

Scientists have only recently become aware of indicator bacteria in beach sand, said Elizabeth Alm, a microbiologist at Central Michigan University at Mount Pleasant and author of one of the studies included in the report.

The consequences for human health are uncertain.

"We know [that in] water, if fecal indicators exceed specific levels, then the risk of intestinal illness in swimmers increases," Alm said. "The same kinds of studies have not been done for the sand. We don't know what levels are safe or dangerous."

She added that lots of people play in the sand, but few seem to get sick from it.

Nevertheless, McLeod said it's important "to err on the side of safety." He encourages people to wash themselves thoroughly after a day at the beach.

"We can't say conclusively one way or another that there is a risk," he said. "It would be wrong to say, Don't touch the sand, or, There's a high risk for playing in contaminated sand. But it's also wrong to say there's no risk."

kellyahern said:
What are the Volcanic Hazards Facing you?

Bench collapse can kill
Tephra jets & littoral fountains hurl hot lava
Steam blasts toss rocks
Acid fumes and glass particles can irritate eyes and lungs
Scalding waves burn
Plus, be prepared for personal hazards such as:

Dehydration
Heat stroke
Sunburn & sunstroke
Sprains & abrasions
Getting lost in the dark

getting lost in the dark! :lol:

ruffian said:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0729_050729_beachsand.html

The so-called indicator bacteria, including a benign form of E. coli, pose little health risk to humans. But such microbes serve as warning signs that harmful fecal microorganisms may also be present, according to Walter McLeod, president of the Clean Beaches Council.

Just E. Coli? I laugh at E. Coli :wink:
I'll bring a couple samples of Cipro for everyone

u2rulesmyworld said:
WERE

ALL

GOING

TO

DIE

:lmao:

Kelly, at arena shows I quit drinking water at about 3:30...but I found at stadium shows i could *easily* leave the rail and get my spot back. lots of people were always coming and going and people were very laid back about it. i'd err on the side of drinking water, and alternate it with stuff that replenishes electrolytes, like Pedialyte or Gatorade

kellyahern said:
I actually have a U2/stadium GA related safety question :shifty:.

So it's going to be hot, we should drink plenty of water so as not to get dehydrated. But then, where do we pee? :reject:.

How did you guys (well, girls really) handle the stadium GA restroom issue?

My one stadium GA was in Dublin and it wasn't that hot... it was actually rainy-ish, so didn't have to drink that much water...

hey michael i got your message--and yes, i'll be there and am finalizing plans. i'll call you later.

ThoraSEB said:
This thread has become so positive and uplifting! All this talk of jellyfish, creepy crawlies, sharks, and so on just makes me so happy.

:wink:

Dont forget Ecoli

Kelly: you can usually leave and go to the bathroom and get back to your spot until about 1/2 hour before the opening band comes on

But if you are concerened about hydration and peeing then you likely should just show up around noon and hang out toward the back of the inner area, if you plan on camping out all night and being on the front rail(with the other nuts) you should plan on being very dehydrated and tired during the show

Miroslava said:
Ruff...

You owe me some responses and/or question

:drunk:

:sexywink:
i am pretty much convinced that the "i've never" thread is the most dangerous place on interference...more dangerous than volcanic rocks hitting you in the head, a shark frenzy, or creepy crawly spiders who won't die no matter how much carpet foam you put on them...

u2rulesmyworld said:

where is this thread? i like danger!

click on I've Never in Miroslava's sig. I have shared more beds /tents/sleeping bags with inteferencers than one could imagine :yikes:

No worries about sharks. Your chances of seeing one are extremely remote. You are more likely to bump into Bono at a 7-11

I recommend that anyone who can afford it spend some time on other islands ... you really haven't seen Hawaii if you spend a week on Oahu. Kauai is amazingly beautiful, Maui is very diverse with great beaches and windsurfing, and the Big Island has the active volcano.

Kauai has several zipline tours that are a lot of fun. There's a 38 mile downhill bike tour on Maui, and Molokini Crater off Maui's coastline is a great place to snorkel. It is sort of like Hanauma Bay only it is a small island and you have to take a boat to get there.

I live on Maui and would be happy to answer any questions. Sort of busy today but I'll monitor this thread as best I can.

Kevin D.
Section CC Row 31 Seats 1&2 .... not bad for buying a week after tickets went on sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom