Hawaii, April 8th (and 9th?) - Aloha Stadium! - Part IX - Bunnies!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miroslava

ONE love, blood, life
Hawaii, April 8th (and 9th?) - Aloha Stadium! - Part IX

Hopefully we'll be able to remove the question mark after the 9th very soon, but as the days go by, this seems less likely :(

U2 Tickets a Hot Commodity Online

The Honolulu Advertiser, January 22, 2006

By Greg Wiles
Advertiser Staff Writer

Aloha Stadium will prohibit scalpers from selling tickets to U2's April 8 concert on its property, but fans desperate for seats can look online, where a brisk market is developing.

They just need to be prepared to pay as much as 10 times more than face value.

As of late last week, some of the best reserved seating was available at $1,770 from Internet resellers and marketplaces. The same seat sold for $165 when 35,000 tickets went on sale on Jan. 14.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of tickets for the Dublin, Ireland-based band's show, anticipated to be the biggest concert in the Islands this year, are being re-offered online at sites like eBay, StubHub.com and FriendlyTickets.com. The Internet has made it easier for ticket brokers to do business, while giving individuals and scalpers a chance to make a quick profit.

Among the sellers on eBay was Bill Aman, a Mainland U2 fan who started reselling the band's tickets last year when he ended up with a pair of disappointing seats during a pre-sale event for fan club members.

That led him to check resale prices on eBay, where people were turning around and reselling some tickets for more than double.

"I was blown away," Aman wrote in an e-mail. Later, when ticket sales were opened up to everyone through Ticketmaster, he and a friend bought up $2,000 worth and began reselling them on eBay.

"In the end, we made enough money for all of us to go to that show ($724 for four seats next to the stage) and an extra couple hundred dollars to go out to dinner beforehand," Aman said in a message.

Some O'ahu residents also have the same thing in mind, having bought tickets for what is one of the fastest-selling concerts in Honolulu's history. All but 1,000 seats were gone within 45 minutes of the show going on sale, said Patrick Leonard, spokesman for Aloha Stadium.

How much profit they'll make, if any, may depend on whether the band's concert promoters add another show. As of Friday, they hadn't.

A Honolulu resident going by the eBay screen name of Bowen5310 last week offered four choice tickets for $1,600. In an e-mail, he said he stood in line for them at a Ticketmaster counter at a Times Supermarkets location.

"Right now, it looks like people are waiting to see if a second show will be announced," Bowen5310 said, responding to an e-mail inquiring about response to his sale. "If not, tickets should go for a lot."

Reselling of tickets isn't illegal in Hawai'i, though venues such as Aloha Stadium, the Neal S. Blaisdell Center and the Waikiki Shell don't allow it on their properties. Online is a different story, with tickets available to almost any hard-to-get seat you can imagine, even the venerated Merrie Monarch Festival.

The list includes the Feb. 12 Pro Bowl (as much as $420 each for prime sideline seats on Tick etTriangle.com, compared to a face value of $150), Jimmy Buffett's concert last April, and the USC-UH football game.

"It's part of the market that's irritating," said Barbara Saito, general manager for Tom Moffatt Productions, Hawai'i's largest concert promoter. "But until people stop patronizing these types of places, they're not going to go away."

People buying from scalpers and fraudulent resellers run the risk of buying counterfeit tickets. Rolling Stone magazine reported 250 people for U2's Boston concerts last year got bogus tickets from sellers online.

Nationally, the ticket resale market for concerts, sporting events, stage shows and other events is estimated to be about $10 billion, about $2 billion of which is online, said Sean Pate, spokesman for San Francisco-based StubHub.com, a ticket marketplace. He said the online segment may be growing at 50 to 60 percent annually, while more traditional means, such as hawking tickets in front of arenas and placing ads on bulletin boards, is growing by 10 to 15 percent a year.

That's got the attention of major corporations and StubHub's marketing partners, including several NFL and NBA teams, AOL, and artists as diverse as Coldplay and Jessica Simpson.

Late last week there were 935 tickets for U2's Honolulu concert listed on StubHub, 480 on eBay and 730 on TicketTriangle.

StubHub makes its money from commissions. Sellers pay StubHub 15 percent of a ticket's purchase price, while buyers pay 10 percent. EBay's seller charges vary depending on the sales price.

Tickets for Honolulu concerts usually sell for less than tickets in larger markets, and resellers face disaster when artists add shows, said David Cabrera, vice president of marketing for Petaluma, Calif.-based ticket broker FriendlyTickets.com.

"We got crushed on the Eagles," said Cabrera, who brokered about 40 seats to the shows. He remembers taking a loss on a pair of second-row seats that cost him $270 each. When the Eagles doubled the number of Honolulu shows to four, he was forced to sell the pair of tickets for $180.

Cabrera said to make a profit on tickets for three American Idol concerts here in September 2004, he had to fly to Honolulu and spread word among hotel concierges that he had tickets. He also hawked some of the front-row seats he had on the street before the shows.

Prices for the U2 show ranged widely on the Web late in the week. FriendlyTickets.com, a site trying to build a name as having the lowest prices, had tickets ranging from $250 to $1,770 for reserved seats directly facing the stage in the stadium's orange section. The seats for $250 were from Cabrera's own inventory and cost him about $185. Higher-priced tickets were from other brokers who listed on his site, he said.

As of late last week Cabrera thought the resale prices for U2 in Honolulu will likely drop. He said his company, FriendlyTick ets.com, didn't buy as many tickets as it could have for the U2 show, given his knowledge of Hawai'i and prior experience.

For other, larger cities Cabrera obtained as many as 300 floor tickets sought by fans wanting to get close to the band. For Ho-nolulu, he bought about 100 of the $49.50 floor tickets and resold them last week for $75.50 each.

U2 reserved-seat prices jumped from $450 to $900 in 24 hours for one of the band's San Francisco dates, Cabrera said. Some Rose Bowl tickets surged to $2,500 the day of the game.

Cabrera says despite losing money on some events, he and others in online ticket brokering see the business growing.

"It's substantial," said Stub Hub.com's Pate, noting his site has about 1.1 million tickets for sale on an average day. "The spread of the Internet has facilitated a new outlet for people to buy and sell tickets."

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Jan/22/bz/FP601220316.html

Other news articles
Beautiful Day
U2 fans happy to get tickets
Cheapest ticket to U2 does not include a seat
U2 tickets on sale Saturday
Vertigo '06 For Santiago and Honolulu
U2 concert date set

Random information

» What is the time difference in Hawaii? Here you go: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ If you ask this question on the thread, be aware that you will be receiving this :madwife:

» The band will be flying to Honolulu from Australia, and the concert here will also feature opening band Rocko & the Devils. Rocko, being none other than the U2 Crew's own Rocko Reedy

» 15,000 GA tickets, 20,000 seats.

» The stadium will be in the baseball configuration, with the stage in the center-field area, facing south.

art6a.jpg

mbhkrm.gif

» Something to consider for GA line purposes. Hawaii's Largest Swap Meet is held every Wed, Sat & Sun 6am-3pm at the stadium's parking lot. This is good for food, restrooms, etc. purposes, but probably a bit of a problem for a peaceful set up. :lol:

alo-st.jpg

Looks like we should be ok so long as set up is done in the area immediately adjacent to the stadium.

» Map of Waikiki Hotels

List of those Interferencers confirmed as going:

AgentMissa - GA 4/8
Allidreamsoutloud - GA 4/8
Alreadygone - GA 4/8
bfloxng - GA 4/8
Bonoisagod - GA 4/8
Bort269 - GA 4/8
bump101 - GA 4/8
Carek1230 - GA 4/8
CarmelU2fan - GA 4/8
Catlady - GA 4/8
Cleazer - Undecided, but has GA and seats
DD*
Dalfan
editorinchief - GA 4/8
Eep - GA 4/8
Faithingrace - GA 4/8
Gorman
hef4U2 - GA 4/8
hwnstyle - GA 4/8
I Move in Mysterious Ways
Kariann
KellyAhern - GA 4/8
Lila64 & Maddy - GA 4/8
Miroslava - GA 4/8
MTEdge - GA 4/8
Mrpoptop - GA 4/8
Nicodemus49 - 4/8 Seats, DD Row 21, Orange
Nightsong - GA 4/8
Nurse Chrissi - GA 4/8
Pop Artist - 4/8 Undecided, but has GA and Seat. Sec K, Row 11, Orange
Poppedtart - GA 4/8
R8drgurl - GA 4/8
Ramblin Rose - GA 4/8
Ruffian - GA 4/8
Shaynar - GA 4/8
skjuls - GA 4/8
Storiesforboys - GA 4/8
Super Fan - GA 4/8
theedge111 - GA 4/8
tkutish - GA 4/8
topherchris9 - Seats, Section C, Orange
Trevster2k - GA 4/8
Tryan101 (and clan!) - GA 4/8
U2-phoric - Seats 4/8
U2forlife - GA 4/8
U2girl1978 - GA 4/8
u2girlcj - Undecided, but has GA and seats, Section B
U2girldebbie - GA 4/8
U2zootvfan - GA 4/8
Weinerdog - GA 4/8
xErinx - GA 4/8
Zargo - Section KK, Row 9
Zooperson - GA 4/8

If you wish to be added to the list, please say so :D

For additional information
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Interferenceinhawaii

Welcome Interferencers going to Hawaii!!

This site is for organizing tickets, finding out who is going, and staying where and discussing partying in Honolulu. Explore the room. This is an interactive page.

You can post MESSAGES for everyone to read. You can read and add LINKS. The LINKS section already has helpful tips to make your trip more enjoyable. Feel free to add your own travel tips including flight or hotel deals.

Please fill in the appropriate DATABASE when you have made travel arrangements. Even if you don't know this info, simply add your name to the "Where are you staying" DATABASE and leave the rest blank. You can always go back and edit the info. This will help with the gathering planning and you will know if other Interlanders are staying in your hotel. New DATABASE added for travel tips to Hawaii, things people better not forget to pack. Any suggestions, please add them.

You can post your picture in the PHOTOS section so we know who we are looking for in Hawaii. There is also a POLLS section.

Just click on the links in the box to the left to read or add information or suggestions.

Any ideas about what else you would like to see here on this page, just leave a message.

Also, Miroslava has requested that Jason Momoa be on hand to Lei the ladies at the airport as they deplane

Prior threads here:
http://forum.interference.com/t152556.html
http://forum.interference.com/t152387.html
http://forum.interference.com/t152250.html
http://forum.interference.com/t152077.html
http://forum.interference.com/t151954.html
http://forum.interference.com/t151858.html
http://forum.interference.com/t151708.html
http://forum.interference.com/t151372.html
http://forum.interference.com/t149714.html

Last edited:
Welcome Interferencers going to Hawaii!!

This site is for organizing tickets, finding out who is going, and staying where and discussing partying in Honolulu. Explore the room. This is an interactive page.

You can post MESSAGES for everyone to read. You can read and add LINKS. The LINKS section already has helpful tips to make your trip more enjoyable. Feel free to add your own travel tips including flight or hotel deals.

Please fill in the appropriate DATABASE when you have made travel arrangements. Even if you don't know this info, simply add your name to the "Where are you staying" DATABASE and leave the rest blank. You can always go back and edit the info. This will help with the gathering planning and you will know if other Interlanders are staying in your hotel. New DATABASE added for travel tips to Hawaii, things people better not forget to pack. Any suggestions, please add them.

You can post your picture in the PHOTOS section so we know who we are looking for in Hawaii. There is also a POLLS section.

Just click on the links in the box to the left to read or add information or suggestions.

Any ideas about what else you would like to see here on this page, just leave a message.

Miroslava, could you replace the summary paragraph about the Yahoo site with this new one. pretty please.

Hawaii is just so damn beautiful. If I hadn't met my boyfriend last year I probably would be living there right now going to college. I still got the best deal though.

*gag* :sick:

:lol:

U2Girl1978 said:
Trevor, I love the look of it. :)

Had to go for a Bomb theme, :wink:

ETA, there isn't a whole lot you can do with it though , just change a couple of colours here and there.

one4u2 wrote in the last thread:
Expedia is so expensive, damn living in NY

Expedia worked for me, but I'm on the west coast. Perhaps you can get a cheap flight to L.A. then fly from here? :shrug:

And yes Trev - looked at the site the other night - looks good :up:

Nothing, just was laughing at the April 8th (and 8th?) thing, but now it's been fixed. :)

Ahhhh - Seattle's going to the Superbowl!! So exciting!! :dancing:

I always watch the Superbowl every year, but it's so awesome that my old hometown is finally going to be there - it's their first trip to the bowl.

random thought(and possibly moronic one): from the baseball stadium picture setup, and knowing that the stage is probably moved forward a bit from the diagram since they didn't sell section L,M,LL,MM,etc.....if you draw an imaginary line straight across just past the infield, am I the only one who thinks that the GA area looks mighty small for 15,000 people? I can't picture taking 3/4 of the people in those stands and then fitting them in that space. </end silly thought>

Last edited:
GA is very intimate, if you get my drift. Bring extra pit dope.:D

weinerdog said:
random thought(and possibly moronic one): from the baseball stadium picture setup, and knowing that the stage is probably moved forward a bit from the diagram since they didn't sell section L,M,LL,MM,etc.....if you draw an imaginary line straight across just past the infield, am I the only one who thinks that the GA area looks mighty small for 15,000 people? I can't picture taking 3/4 of the people in those stands and then fitting them in that space. </end silly thought>

I am reaaaaaaaally bad at visualizing how many people are in a crowd, so don't know what to tell you... I hate being asked, well, how many people were there? Cause I suck at giving those guesstimates... :lol:

trevster2k said:
GA is very intimate, if you get my drift. Bring extra pit dope.:D

:sick:

The one time I almost passed out in GA was a bad combo of heat and some ass smoking some skunky weed. So, no standing near me :angry:

ETA: Finally saw Bono holding the tips of Kevin's fingers! What a fanboy :love:

mh4zrk.jpg

Last edited:
Miroslava said:

I am reaaaaaaaally bad at visualizing how many people are in a crowd, so don't know what to tell you... I hate being asked, well, how many people were there? Cause I suck at giving those guesstimates... :lol:

yeah, it was a pretty nonsensical post :wink: I'm no stats geek, but I would think this has to be as intimate as a stadium show can get. 20k seats in less than some arenas they've done, so I think we're also lucky in that regard. BTW, if anyone is up for this , maybe we could get something organized on the yahoo board, since groups save $

weinerdog said:

yeah, it was a pretty nonsensical post :wink: I'm no stats geek, but I would think this has to be as intimate as a stadium show can get. 20k seats in less than some arenas they've done, so I think we're also lucky in that regard. BTW, if anyone is up for this , maybe we could get something organized on the yahoo board, since groups save $

Oh hell to the no. There's no way I'm going skydiving. :lol: :crazy: :crack:

I just hope that the game is entertaining, today's games were snorefests.:yawn:

ThoraSEB said:
If I was able to come to Hawaii, I would totally go skydiving! That sounds incredible. I haven't gone before, but hopefully someday!

If?! I know i don't hang with the cool kids in here, but didn't you have a 0% card offer out there? Few extra work hours here and there....you know you deserve it!

I thought I had mentioned a no sports derailing talk in the Hawaii threads.

:mad:

*goes back to pointing and laughing to the fanboy-ishness during IWF*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom