CANADIAN Tour Dates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Calgary isnt the only city that is "growing"....Edmonton now has over 1 million people in the greater area and isnt slowing in growth so I think if U2 wanted to they could play 4 arena dates in Alberta very easily.

Winnipeg

Is U2 going to be coming to Winnipeg on the third leg of the tour?
If not, how long is the drive to Calgary or the closest city their coming to?

I'm only speculating and probably shouldn't say anything at all, but I highly doubt U2 will perform 4 shows in Alberta or in both Edmonton and Calgary...at least not on the same leg. I could be wrong but if I were the promoter, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to me. Here's why:

Growth or not, Edmonton and Calgary are still very small cities for U2 at just over 1 million a pop. Since u2 exploded on the JT tour, historically very few cities of that size get 2 shows, much less two small cities in the same province. The cost of travelling around Alberta for the markets you would reach is very high.

Tours are not only about selling tickets, they're about selling albums. Tours can be lucrative but they are also very expensive. Albums are low cost by comparison and the purpose of any tour is to get fans in the building, see the show, buy a t-shirt, create a media spectacle to get people to go out to buy U2 albums. After all, you can sell more albums than there are seats. This is where I see the biggest snag for simultaneos Edmonton, Calgary shows. Alberta's total population is not even that of Montreal. The time (2 days) and cost of packing up, taking the customary one day break and traveling to the second venue in order to reach a million person market is enormous.

The only chance I see for both cities to get shows is if U2 go to one venue on the first leg and then the other on the third when they return to North America. I guess we'll see.

Jon

Last edited:
Tours are actually a lot more lucrative then selling albums and this tour is set to make U2 the richest band in rock history. Mark my words that Albums will be a thing of the past within 15 years.

Well, to get this thread back on track somewhat, what are people's thoughts on Canada being reached on this 1st leg of the tour?

San Diego, March 28th - opening night! But when do you reckon that they'll hit Canada and which city first?

Vancouver, 2 weeks later?

So if the Bear 100.3 in Edmonton says that Vancouver is on the list already, that means first leg right? Whos going to Van?
And whos got a couch me and a a freind can crash on!
:wave: :hyper: :hyper: :wave:

theedge111 said:
So if the Bear 100.3 in Edmonton says that Vancouver is on the list already, that means first leg right? Whos going to Van?
And whos got a couch me and a a freind can crash on!
:wave: :hyper: :hyper: :wave:

I'll be going to Van for sure!

It'll be a "Hi mom! Hi dad! Brought the kids down to see you. Now if you'll excuse me..." :wink:

I'm glad the tour has been delayed ( well, not glad because someone is ailing to cause the delay) but hopefully some of the snow will be melted by then so I don't freeze my ass off standing in line to get in the building.

We just finished a 2 week run of -38 up here. I need to go south to thaw out. I'll take a week off work and travel around the west to see the shows if there are multiple dates.

If they do play Edmonton it will be on the 3rd leg as I expected and yes I expect Vancouver and probably Calgary to be on the first leg near the start and depending on how fast they work east possibly Montreal and Toronto near the end....because what we do know according to billboard is that the last concert on the first leg is in Boston.

Ok guys i'm in a serious dilemma here. I'm debating whether to spend loads of money for seats or save on GA seats but skip school (mind you it's my grade 12 year so..it's a bit of a problem).

What do you guys think?

Mucca said:
Ok guys i'm in a serious dilemma here. I'm debating whether to spend loads of money for seats or save on GA seats but skip school (mind you it's my grade 12 year so..it's a bit of a problem).

What do you guys think?

I'd definitely do one seated and one GA, if you're going to at least two. You can probably afford to miss one day. I wouldn't miss any more if I were you, though.

Attention anyone who went GA before:
So! All my friends are too lazy for GA, so what does one do who decides to go by themselves? What do you do if you have to use the washroom?? Especially once you're in the building. Opening acts can take a long time, and I would hate to go thru the show just thinking about my bladder.

Back
Top Bottom