Boston: side view question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kapel

The Fly
I'm about to buy some seats on Ebay and have to decide between section 15 and 20 very quickly...Does anyone know if Bono spends more time on the side of section 15 or section 20?

Would you prefer 15,20 (somwhere in rows 13-15) to somwhere row 10-20 in 13, 14,21,22 (for more money)?

Thanks!!
PK

I was in sec 20 for May 26.

personally, I think for the money - you will be happier with the prices for 15 and 20 over the prices for the other sections you mention. 15 and 20 are the best seats in the arena for the money.

Last row is 21, first row is 11 in both sections.

I'm in SEC 15 on Monday and can't wait. My experience in SEC 20 was fantastic in the spring, and I can't wait to be on Edge's side this time.

As for how much time Bono spends on eac side. My experience from the Boston shows and seeing video is that he has spent a bit more time on Adam's side this tour, but that may be more of what I have noticed. I just think he has gone down that side ramp more on Vertigo. I also think it was the opposite on Elevation.

As for Row choice, I don't think it's a big deal. You are already elevated 10 rows up. The first row in 20 or 15 is row 11. They only use the first 10 rows for basketball. 11 - 21 are the rows you can get. As for seat numbers, seat 1 always starts on the left side of the section as you are looking at it from the middle of the arena. Thus, if you are seat one in 20, you are to the far right of that section on line with Larry's kit. However, if you are seat 1 in SEC 15 - you are at the tip of the main stage.

Hope that helps. I'd go with whatever seats are closer to the front of the main stage. I wouldn't be so concerned with the row number.

It's a great view - good luck.

daveydave

Last edited:
Thanks!! and follow up question

Thanks so much for everyones help...You convinced me to go with 15 or 20 (Unles I'll find a REALLY good price for 21 or 14... :)

Just one concern: I just saw a little bit of the Chicago DVD, and during some songs there seems to be a massive light show surrounding the stage going on; almost like a curtain of light, only open in the front. Can you see through that from the side angle?

And are the better seats in 15 (low seat nubers) and 20 (high seat numbers over 10? better over 20??) really so far to the front edge of stage that you actually can see Bono's face from at least half-front, and not just completely from behind or the side?

Thanks again!
Peter

Yes, you can see through it. It was never really a distraction to me.

There are two reasons:

a.) from 15 or 20 you are looking directly across stage and there is an opening in the curtains (even when they are down) from those sections.

b.) When you are in a section that is that close, you tend to see through the side lights without problems. I've been in sec 17 and 20. In both cases, even with the lights / screens down, I felt like I was able to see enough of each band member to know exactly what they were doing. You almost forget about the lights.

Put it like this...it's like being behind home plate at a baseball game. There's a screen in front of you, but you quickly forget about it after a while. In fact, I found it less annoying than a backstop screen at a baseball game. There's a lot more room between each of those balls of light than it appears from pictures and film.

dave

daveydave,
Thanks so much for all the awesome info!! I really appreciate it. I'm in the middle of the "bidding" process on Ebay, so wish me luck! :)

Since you seem to be the expert on Boston's seating chart! :) ...a few more quick questions that will help me in my search:

a) Is it true for the whole arena (let's say loge 12,22, etc.) that the seats always start with #1 on the left and go from left to right (viewed from the arena)

b) Do you know how strict the security people in Boston are about standing in the aisle. Let's say you have a seat in some loge section higher up (row20), but wanna go down (at least for a few songs) and stand in the aisle...Will they let you?

c) Are the different loge/sections connected wthout a "barrier"; meaning: Can you move from, let's say loge 15 to loge 14 or 16?

d) And finally (I know you're glad! :) ) your personal advice on the generally best seats:
Obviously loges 14 and 21 seem like the best seats in the house; but they are just unaffordable. On Ebay right now you could get higher rows (15-20) in loges 13 and 22 for a little more than seats in 15 and 20 (and rows 5-10 for substantially more). Having seen some of the Chicago DVD it seems like that might be worth it for the angle and awesome light show. But I'm afraid I'll trade it for never being as close to the band as in 15/20. What do you think? If you're oin 13 or 22 you onviously have the better view of the whole show, but will Bono/Edge come close there when they are on the ellipse; and how often?

Sorry for the long questions. Thanks again!!
PK

The curtains are a nearly non factor from 15 or 20.
From a higher row, they are a slight distraction maybe twice during the entire concert.
I had loge 20 row 21 for May 24, they were a slight inconvenience.
On May 28 I had Loge 15 row 13, and you were down low enough that they didn't interfere whatsoever.

Either way it won't have any real effect on your view of the stage, and the view from there, as daveydave said is the best for the price in the arena excluding GA, in my opinion.
I'm in 15 Sunday and 20 on Monday. I specifically seek these sections out if I can't get or do GA. I have also sat in these sections for a number of non-U2 concerts as they are normally less expensive than the adjacent sections, and have never been disappointed with the seats.

kapel said:
daveydave,
Thanks so much for all the awesome info!! I really appreciate it. I'm in the middle of the "bidding" process on Ebay, so wish me luck! :)

Since you seem to be the expert on Boston's seating chart! :) ...a few more quick questions that will help me in my search:

a) Is it true for the whole arena (let's say loge 12,22, etc.) that the seats always start with #1 on the left and go from left to right (viewed from the arena)

b) Do you know how strict the security people in Boston are about standing in the aisle. Let's say you have a seat in some loge section higher up (row20), but wanna go down (at least for a few songs) and stand in the aisle...Will they let you?

c) Are the different loge/sections connected wthout a "barrier"; meaning: Can you move from, let's say loge 15 to loge 14 or 16?

d) And finally (I know you're glad! :) ) your personal advice on the generally best seats:
Obviously loges 14 and 21 seem like the best seats in the house; but they are just unaffordable. On Ebay right now you could get higher rows (15-20) in loges 13 and 22 for a little more than seats in 15 and 20 (and rows 5-10 for substantially more). Having seen some of the Chicago DVD it seems like that might be worth it for the angle and awesome light show. But I'm afraid I'll trade it for never being as close to the band as in 15/20. What do you think? If you're oin 13 or 22 you onviously have the better view of the whole show, but will Bono/Edge come close there when they are on the ellipse; and how often?

Sorry for the long questions. Thanks again!!
PK

A. yes
B. Normally fairly strict, they keep the aisles clear as its a fire hazard otherwise.
C. There is no barrier, but ushers/security/other patrons tend to create a natural barrier, most people don't want others crowding into their seating area who don't belong, and the ushers check your tix before allowing you into a section.
D. On this tour I've sat in loges 20, 15, 13 and GA thus far at the TDBankNorthFleetGarden ShawmutCenter. My preference outside of GA is for as close to stage as possible, and the sections that acomplish that are 14, 15, 20 and 21...and 15 and 20 are less expensive. the view from loge 13 was fine, the ellipse ramp goes right in front of the low rows of the section, but thus far the best non GA view I had was loge 15 row 13.
Look for low seat #s in 15 (1 is on the aisle to 14) and higher numbers in 20 (the last seats number gets higher in higher rows as the section is a "wedge", but aim for seat #s in the teens.)
And the lower the row, the better obviously, so your best bet IMO is loge 15 row 11 seat 1 for example.

Hewson,
Got it. You're awesome!! Thanks for all the great info! I know what to do know!!
PK

LOGE 18 on Monday night... Row 17 (which as we all know is really 6 rows from the stage).... I believe all LOGE section 15-20 have the first 11 rows tucked under the section to make more room for the staging. This can be seen in the Elevation DVD.

SMB

I'm so pumped for Sunday as I have sec 17 row 13 seats 6 and 7 which is directly behind the stage!

Shawn Bonneau said:
.... I believe all LOGE section 15-20 have the first 11 rows tucked under the section to make more room for the staging. This can be seen in the Elevation DVD.

SMB
1st 10 rows are folded up in 15 thru 20, making 11 the "front" row.

Sorry - it's been a busy day.

Remember - you can pin point your seat if you use this information and go to www.fleetcenter.com and use views from different sections to see the sections you are interested in.

In every case (and this was sent to me by fleetcenter customer service) - the left most seat is always 1. That is as you are looking at the section from center ice or the middle of the arena.

Thus, high seat number in 20 are closer to SEC 21. High seat numbers in 15 are closer to SEC 16.

I agree with HEWSON on everything mentioned. The only distinction is that Iwould shoot for seats not in the teens (good idea if you don't know) but you do now.

JR - definitely one of the most interesting perspectives to see a show is from right behind the stage. I had row 11 (1st) for 5/28 and it was interesting being there. To see what the band is experiencing (particularly during Streets) is quite amazing from that spot. Take a digital camera, I wish I had taken a picture of that moment when the light go on in the entire arena. Now that's a picture!

daveydave

...talking about great pictures...

After seeing all the awesome pictures from Boston on some of the threads on here, I would like to take a camera to the concert, too.

Obviously people are able to “smuggle” cameras in, and when you look at the DVD it seems like lots of people are taking pictures without getting in trouble.

But does anyone know if security gets angry when you use a flash?

Thanks!
PK

Yes. No flash is the way to go. Besides, it's only going to give you so much additional light. Probably not enough to reach your intended object.

Get a feel for the lighting and watch the crew above. You will find your spots where there is plenty of light.

dave

I got my camera in under my arm, as a girl I am almost never searched. I am willing to stick it in my pants to get it in, and I've heard of this being necessary. No flash because unless you're on the railing it won't reach far enough.

Back
Top Bottom